• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
persona-3-title.png

I'm a big fan of Persona 4 (and 5 to a lesser degree) but somehow I've never taken the time to play through Persona 3. Well, that changes now. I am going to beat this game.

I have tried to get into P3 several times over the years, but coming from P4 I found some of the game's unique elements confusing (the fatigue system in particular). If any P3 veterans could help me understand the best way to play this game, I would sincerely appreciate it. I have the following questions:

1. Back in Persona 4, my strategy for dungeon crawling was to go through each floor fighting every Shadow I came across until my party was out of SP. Does the fatigue system in P3 mean I shouldn't do this anymore, or is it not a huge deal?

2. Once I leave Tartarus, should I wait until all of my party members are back to 'Good' status before going in again? Right now Yukari is sick and Junpei is tired.

3. What's the best way to increase charm? I've already decided which social link I am going to focus on maxing and if I recall correctly, that social link requires maxed-out charm to complete.

4. Is there a way to invert the controls on the circular combat menu? I get why it works the way it does, but it's counter-intuitive and I'd rather have it spin right when I press left and vice versa.

NOTE: I'm playing the FES edition on Normal difficulty.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
1. It's still doable. Run until your party is exhausted.
2. Yes, it's suicide. They'll miss more often, and cause the enemy to get extra turns. THis isn't a big deal when MC gets tougher or you have other party members, though.
3. Drinking the charming tea(?) at one of the restaurants. It's a +3 if memory serves.
4. Not to my knowledge.

Enjoy, FES 3 is best 3.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Check the save successful thing if you're on ps3 to be sure your save doesnt randomly corrupt (ty corrupt version)

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
1. It's still doable. Run until your party is exhausted.
2. Yes, it's suicide. They'll miss more often, and cause the enemy to get extra turns. THis isn't a big deal when MC gets tougher or you have other party members, though.
3. Drinking the charming tea(?) at one of the restaurants. It's a +3 if memory serves.
4. Not to my knowledge.

Enjoy, FES 3 is best 3.

So run until they're out of SP, or until they become 'tired'?

Check the save successful thing if you're on ps3 to be sure your save doesnt randomly corrupt (ty corrupt version)

I'm playing on PCSX2 (yes, I ripped the BIOS files and created the ISO myself) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customize their AI. Some of them are hilariously bad on default but become fine when left to their own devices if you tailor them (e.g. Heal/Support for Yukari, Full Assault for Mitsuru, etc)

Either use a max S. Link guide or don't stress about it. 3 is much tighter than 4 and 5 and you'll never max first playthrough without one.

Elizabeth dates don't take up any of your time, so enjoy!

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So run until they're out of SP, or until they become 'tired'?

I'm playing on PCSX2 (yes, I ripped the BIOS files and created the ISO myself) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Btw if you are allrdy playing on PCSX2 do yourself a favor and get the
Controllable Party Members mod (in the description):

Makes the game so much better in my opinion since the AI is dogshit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Controllable Party Members mod:

Woah, have to keep this in mind if I ever find time for another playthrough. Only completed FeMC P3P.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. I wouldn't go out of my way to take on every shadow (unless your specififally grinding). If you run into one, sure, strike it
  2. Yes, everyone should be rested
  3. If I'm not wrong, there's a cafe that helps you increase charm. There's also a game at the cafe that does that
  4. Yeah, it should be in the settings

Oct 25, 2017
You can deny an enemy their turn by hitting their weakness and knocking them down with another attack. They'll spend their turn standing back up without attacking. Set the other team AI to do nothing so they don't restand them.

Or something like that it's been a while since I played FES

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017

This also makes the game much easier since it wasn't balanced around it, so it's a trade-off.

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017

I honestly never found the AI that bad. Maybe a bit annoying here and there but never really frustrating throughout my playthrough

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Or get P3 Portable. Best version imo.

a0102095_4bf68f585a642.jpg

NeoN1

Oct 27, 2017
What I did was, whenever a new section opened up, I rushed all the floors evading all shadows until I reached the teleport, and once I got it, I just grinded the floors from top to bottom until running out of SP. This way I knew I could face the boss whenever I wanted and wouldn't run out of time.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This also makes the game much easier since it wasn't balanced around it, so it's a trade-off.

Play on hard mode if it bothers you i didn't find it it much easier in my play trough on hard tbh, just less rage inducing since it's your own fault if you fuck up and not because the AI decided to do something retarded again.

Or get P3 Portable. Best version imo.

Yeah no i think the game is way more enjoyable with the 3D environments and characters rather than the VN style of P3P.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd advise against using the party control mod unless you're really, really annoyed by the AI. It ruins the game balance and there's a certain novelty to the OG combat and how it's tied to the narrative, plus they're not really hopeless if you manage their tactics well outside of a few special cases.

Also you already said you're set on a specific social link (I'm guessing Yukari), but beware of completing any female links because you're forced into relationships with them and you have to effectively cheat on everyone when you decide to complete more than one (I don't remember if romance triggers in level 9 or 10 tho).

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
P3P is the worse version. Guts the overworld, guts the cutscenes, adds controllable party members but fails to balance for them, removes The Answer, removes a lot of the OST as well... FeMC deserved better.

My man. I dislike how they turned P3 into a visual novel with P3P. FES all the way to experience Persona 3 in all of its epic glory.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure SP refills every time you go to the base of Tartarus - the problem is fatigue. When the selection of playable characters gets bigger it's easier to clear each new block in a single visit. Definitely make sure you're not going to Tartarus with members already fatigued.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Use the gems you get to buy homunculus' in the mall, it will save you from a lot of game overs

You can raise all stats to max just by studying before sleep and using the cafe and karaoke at night, never waste time raising them during the day

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
1. Fight until you're nearly out of SP then just try to get to the next checkpoint. As long as you've reached a checkpoint, you've made progress. Don't spend too long on one floor though. Once you get later in the game fatigue becomes a non-issue and you'll be able to stay in Tartarus for way, way longer.
2. Yes. You're in no rush to return to Tartarus so there's never any reason to go while party members are tired/sick/absent.
3. Go to the cafe every night you're not going to Tartarus, if you can afford it.
4. Don't think so.

Learn how to use the tactics menu. You'll get more tactics throughout the game and knowing how each party member reacts to each tactic in various situations will give you a lot more control over your party than normal.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just play smart and don't allow the AI to have free reign in their actions. Yukari, for example, give her support order while Junpei is in Full Assault. They, most likely, won't do something stupid.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd advise against using the party control mod unless you're really, really annoyed by the AI. It ruins the game balance and there's a certain novelty to the OG combat and how it's tied to the narrative, plus they're not really hopeless if you manage their tactics well outside of a few special cases.

Also you already said you're set on a specific social link (I'm guessing Yukari), but beware of completing any female links because you're forced into relationships with them and you have to effectively cheat on everyone when you decide to complete more than one (I don't remember if romance triggers in level 9 or 10 tho).

Party AI is not just retarded it's also very boring in a turn based game i really don't see any value in it personally, watching the AI fight without any input from me just makes me sleepy and the "novelty" of it doesn't really last very long it's just a retarded design decision all around and maybe that's why they never used it again as the default option.
Again that's just me but the game isn't much different from P3P balance wise this way so i don't really see a problem with it.

Just play smart and don't allow the AI to have free reign in their actions. Yukari, for example, give her support order while Junpei is in Full Assault. They, most likely, won't do something stupid.
read above.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE:

I just rescued Fuuka and now I'm making my way through the second block. I have some more questions.

Firstly, when do I unlock the Full Assault tactic? I only just unlocked Mitsuru as a party member and she's already screwed me over multiple times by using Marin Karin instead of Bufu.

Secondly, what are some good Personas for the level 20 range? I still have to beat the mini boss on Arqa 59F and the July full moon is fast approaching.

(no spoilers please!)

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Finished it earlier this year on pcsx2..just keep saving is my only advice and take care of the slot in which you are saving(saying from personal experience lol).
And social link system with girls in persona 3 fes sucks so keep an eye on that if you want to progress the social links with them without any issues. It basically assumes you are going out on a date even if you just want to increase your social link. Read up on how it works.

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE:

I just rescued Fuuka and now I'm making my way through the second block. I have some more questions.

Firstly, when do I unlock the Full Assault tactic? I only just unlocked Mitsuru as a party member and she's already screwed me over multiple times by using Marin Karin instead of Bufu.

Secondly, what are some good Personas for the level 20 range? I still have to beat the mini boss on Arqa 59F and the July full moon is fast approaching.

(no spoilers please!)

Do you have the Knock Down tactic? That and healing are pretty much all you need. If you don't have it yet, you should get it soon.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
My man. I dislike how they turned P3 into a visual novel with P3P. FES all the way to experience Persona 3 in all of its epic glory.
While i believe they shouldn't have made p3p a visual novel, i believe the game i can actually befriend the guys in the party is a better definition of the full p3 experience D:

Really, that was bullshit, in what universe is gourmet king a better option for a s.link than shinji?

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I am about 9 hours into P3 FES. I am really liking it so far. All these tips are super cool, good thread OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE TWO:

I'm in October now. Just beat the wheel of fortune boss.

What level should I be for the November full moon boss (which is apparently the final full moon shadow)? I'm 47 right now but most of my personas are well below that. I'm on floor ~150 of Tartarus.

I feel like I'm squeezing through these Tartarus mini bosses with cheesy strategies like charm or "use dekunda every turn so they keep wasting turns casting elec break".

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry for the bump, I'm going to start this later on today

Can you save at any time in this game? What are the chances I'm going to lose a few hours of progress

Trying to decide if it's worth playing on normal or easy, considering I can only control the MC

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
UPDATE TWO:

I'm in October now. Just beat the wheel of fortune boss.

What level should I be for the November full moon boss (which is apparently the final full moon shadow)? I'm 47 right now but most of my personas are well below that. I'm on floor ~150 of Tartarus.

I feel like I'm squeezing through these Tartarus mini bosses with cheesy strategies like charm or "use dekunda every turn so they keep wasting turns casting elec break".
The answer to every full moon boss is "have I reached the top of the latest Tartarus section?" If so, you are more than strong enough.

Also, cheesy strategies are basically a necessity in those fights, so don't worry. You're doing exactly what you need to do. Atlus RPGs aren't Final Fantasy games. Brute force is rarely the best option.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017

Can you save at any time in this game? What are the chances I'm going to lose a few hours of progress

Trying to decide if it's worth playing on normal or easy, considering I can only control the MC
Nope, you can save at the ground floor of Tartarus or at the front desk at the dorm.

Oct 27, 2017

You can't save at any time. When you're in the dungeon you can save at the staging area place, I forget if there's a specific term for it. While in the dungeon you can find an exit on just about every floor that will take you back to the staging area. Certain floors in the dungeon are checkpoints that you can always return to. Generally when in the dungeon what I do is try and make it to the next checkpoint level as quickly going through some fights here and there, and then bounce back to earlier levels if I need to level up or something.

You'll be fine on normal. The AI is mostly good enough, and you in battle you can set the AI behavior through Tactics. People who complain about a certain character using a somewhat useless skill over and over probably never bothered with that option.