• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has happened to me so many times recently and it's really depressing. Not just because I'm not gonna keep watching their videos but also because there are so many toxic fucks spreading hate to all their viewers, many of whom may be on the younger side.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this is such a problem within the gaming community is the reason I just avoid podcasts and youtube personas altogether.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I have a tendency on not clicking related videos unless it's the related videos section from known leftist yters tbh, so I don't have this problem TOO much. It does suck when you're just randomly clicking your recs and run into someone you can instantly tell they're some right wing dummy and you do digging and WHAT DO YOU KNOW THEY ARE.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the strategy right? Convince people that you are just some fun and wacky dude making videos to then spread your hateful, bigoted views. Give a shitty apology when things get too heated ("I'm sorry if I have offended someone..."), by that point there will be enough idiots coming to your defense.

Last edited:

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this is such a problem within the gaming community is the reason I just avoid podcasts and youtube personas altogether.

For sure, I have maybe 2 gaming related podcast I sub to. Hell, it goes far beyond gaming (which is known), I watch a lot of film analysis based channels but for some reason YouTube keeps shi***tttting up my recommendations with Mr. Alt-Right reminding me feminism is bad, Capt. Marvel/Brie Larson is the devil, and stop putting coloreds on the screen just for the heck of it.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Captain Marvel has made this process of elimination easier because I just check a channels's list of videos and if it has a Captain Marvel video with "SJW" next to it I know they're trash.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This meme never stops not being relevant. Sadly.

nOhp0yO.jpg

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Imagine my shock, finally getting into Warframe so YouTube starts bombarding my rec's with videos 'bout how Warframe's chat mods are SJW's. Wew.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
If a gaming channel randomly bring up politics then I'll automatically assume that it's gonna be some dumb alt right viewpoint. Especially if the channel is full of "outraged gamer" types of video.

Ive realized the ones that almost never talk about politics and don't have 20 videos in a row complaining about the gaming industry are usually the normal people.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully this surprisingly hasn't happened with Twitch streamers, at least the ones I watch. Perhaps because they don't need to "talk about things" and just play random games.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
At this point it's more surprising when a white guy talking directly into a camera on YouTube ISN'T a piece of shit.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Agreed. It's sad. I literally didn't subscribe to a new channel until I had watch over 10 videos. Next video starts playing and 5 words into the video I pause and unsubscribed.

Monday upload: Top 10 Nitendo Switch Accessories You Need To Own

Wednesday uploaded: Is Steaming The Future Of Gaming?

Friday upload: TRIGGERED SJWs Trying To Censor Video Games and Forcing Minorities Down our Throats..... also...HITLER WAS RIGHT.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I have maybe 2 gaming related podcast I sub to. Hell, it goes far beyond gaming (which is known), I watch a lot of film analysis based channels but for some reason YouTube keeps shi***tttting up my recommendations with Mr. Alt-Right reminding me feminism is bad, Capt. Marvel/Brie Larson is the devil, and stop putting coloreds on the screen just for the heck of it.

Yep, I have the same practice for comics/comic movies. It's really hard to find stuff within these hobbies that aren't saturated with this bullshit.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
All I watch is Game Sack. I hope Joe isn't one 😬

I know Dave made a slight comment about Anita Sarkeesian one time but I hope it was sarcasm.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. It's sad.

Friday upload: TRIGGERED SJWs Trying To Censor Video Games and Forcing Minorities Down our Throats..... also...HITLER WAS RIGHT.

This is so accurate haha.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What type of content are you looking for, maybe we can point you to people doing similar content who aren't complete shitheads

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I purged my likes and favorites history of those who either were shitheels or eventually became shitheels, and was on top of telling YouTube to not recommend me certain channels/types of videos, and ever since then my recommendations have been golden

it took a while to fully purge my likes, tho, ive have my account since like 2006/7

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube recommendations found Factfiend for me, so it's not all bad.

Stick around for the anti-alt-right rant. Note: There's cursing, so much cursing :)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
YouTube is pretty much designed to try and funnel you into the alt-right.

I'm frustrated how I can't put my hands on this analysis, but I remember someone detailing why Youtube is a perfect playground for alt-right to prosper, while the left thrives on platforms like Twitter way more. Because there is not back and forth, no discussion, no confrontation of ideas. It's just someone putting themselves in position of power and knowledge, behind a camera, and talking to themselves for god knows how long they see fit, in order to carefully lay out their arguments in the way they see fit, without ever having to have to confront anyone about them ever. The illusion of knowing better, the illusion of scenery, and the flaws in our cognitive biases when confronted to all that, allows for the alt right discourse to flourish in incredible ways on Youtube. It would be fascinating, really, if it wasn't threatening the very fabric of our societies.

Agreed. It's sad. I literally didn't subscribe to a new channel until I had watch over 10 videos. Next video starts playing and 5 words into the video I pause and unsubscribed.

Can't even insert a That Escalated Quickly gif because that's literally what happens these days, satire became reality.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Don't have much to add except stick to folks like Jim sterling and SuperBunnyHop they're good folks. Listen to their podcasts podquisition and Dad and Sons respectively.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the things which makes it hard for me to remember that I need to watch more Contrapoints or Hbomb, every time I go to Youtube I'm swamped with fascist bullshit to the extent that it makes it really hard to even bother going there for the shit I enjoy.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I mean that's the strategy right? Convince people that you are just some fun and wacky dude making videos to then spread your hateful, bigoted views. Give a shitty apology when things get too heated ("I'm sorry if I have offended someone..."), by that point there will be enough idiots coming to your defense.
Yup that's how they feel people in to their ideology. Better to just stick to known tubers with a good record.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
It's frustratingly common. It's to the point where frankly, if you ask me, being apolitical is damn close to enabling the worst members in the community. Streamers, content creators, and amateur media need to actively foster an environment of inclusion and support.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch any videos about comics or video games anymore because it always ends with my recommendations being nothing but Captain Marvel, The Last Jedi, and vlogs about why the darkies and wimmin are killing everything proud white nerds value.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there no red flags for you in the first video because I can't say I've ever had this problem.

Podcasts and publication are also available. Also, watching things with people of color, it'll sort of increase your chances by default.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm always weary of discovering new channels that aren't recommended by the few other YouTubers or friends I trust.

And even if one YouTube channel isn't secretly alt-right, all they have to be is just share a lot of the edgy viewers and my algorithm gets effed up.

Overall, it's taken me about a year to clean up my recommended feed, but it's still a daily struggle.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Anyway, I'll take this thread as an excuse to plug my fave Youtubers.

Innuendo Studios being my all-time fave, making those hella interesting videos about politics and video games. And other stuff sometimes as well.

Lindsaty Ellis, analyzing pop culture, movies, mainly.

I can also heavily recommend ContraPoints & Hbomberguy but I think those two are way more known so it's a bit like I'm preaching to the choir.

I also recently discovered NakeyJakey that I enjoyed a lot, but I have yet to discover if things are gonna escalate towards me furiously slamming the unsubscribe button or not. I don't know them well enough for that. But let's just say this video on RDR2 was definitely something that I enjoyed a lot in the meantime (maybe because it pointed out all the things that made me think this game was very overrated).

nvm lol he ain't shit

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also recently discovered NakeyJakey that I enjoyed a lot, but I have yet to discover if things are gonna escalate towards me furiously slamming the unsubscribe button or not. I don't know them well enough for that. But let's just say this video on RDR2 was definitely something that I enjoyed a lot in the meantime (maybe because it pointed out all the things that made me think this game was very overrated).
I am so sorry

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-racist-jon-jafari.40853/page-3#post-21371211

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gaming channels that I checked out for the first time recently that then quickly revealed themselves to be shit:

Layman Gaming, Upper Echelon Games & LegacyKillaHD.

With the ending of GoT I also recently came across multiple channels that had some pretty funny roasts of the final episodes but turned out to be alt-right cesspools such as The Critical Drinker, Thor Skywalker and MooLer (that last one became apparent real fast considering who some of the the people were who participated in the GoT video).

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I haven't had this personally, but I have years of downvoting anything remotely right of center and liking good stuff.

Plus, these days, I have so many subs, I generally only pick up a new one when it's suggested by someone I already watch like Hbomberguy, Shaun, etc.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just ran into this recently watching a Three Kingdoms retrospective video. The creator slid a Anita Sarkeesian meme in towards the end out of nowhere, eyebrow was raised, and sure enough, the channel had devolved into a bunch of Gamergate and MRA video essays around 2015. Views dropped off a cliff too, so I at least enjoyed the schadenfreude of how very hard he tried to jump on the internet misogyny Youtube train and failed.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
My feed just gives me Sam Seder, Hbomberguy, John Oliver, vox. Contrapoints, etc. I'm good to go.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Not just gaming. I swear I watch one interesting video about Star Wars legends... Then I get a random video by another saying something insane.

Hell even the armor making and model tutorials! It's crazy...

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't tend to happen to me since I usually don't subscribe to personalities. Had to stop watching Exercises in Futility cause the creatort thinks his audience is made up of fuckboys.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Maybe it's because I'm black and I've grown so accustomed to daily microaggressions that it's fairly easy to detect any ulterior motives of non-black people I come into contact with, but I'm always able to immediately tell if a Youtube personality is on that bullshit. I rarely use Youtube as it is, outside of watching non-commentary videos of games I'm interested in purchasing, because I'd rather not support Google.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
I only watch videos by Lindsay Ellis, and Honest Trailers on yt.

I follow the Epic Voice Guy from HT on twitter and he seems like a good person.