• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Is there a list anywhere?

Captain Marvel, Star Wars and KickVic helped us clean out the trash a little easier but it would be helpful to have a singular list that told me who is a MRA, alt-right or just a full-out Nazi (often they are all three). To echo the point of many others in this thread, I'm getting sick of getting four videos into a channel only to hear them drop a comment shitting on abuse victims of whispering that feminism is evil propaganda.

Apolitical
  • The Gaming Historian
  • Scott the Woz
  • Antdude
  • SuperBunnyHop
  • Stop Skeletons From Fighting
  • Jonny Vs - somewhat concious, called himself out for making unintentionally transphobic jokes and apologized. Thought that was cool of him.
  • The Completionist - if you watch enough of his videos you'll hear some borderline alt-right lingo, similar to dropping words like "triggered" or "sjw" but it's super rare. I heard three examples during a 40 video binge and he never, ever went into politics. If anything, he seems like a good-hearted dude. I hope he is.

Risky/Shitty
  • nostalgia critic - read up on how he treats those who work for him. Really sad stuff
  • Angry Video Game Nerd - era seems split on this dude, he gets defended a lot. I always loved his videos back in the day but his buddy Mike Matei(?) had a bunch of super, SUPER racist comics on the internet and James himself went all in on the Ghostbusters boycott. He swore up and down that it had nothing to do with it being a female cast but the fact that it was removed from the GB legacy/story, but it was still a super bad look.
  • PewDiePie - come on. Dude swears he's not alt-right, he's not racist but his Nazi jokes and casually dropping of the n-word make me not want to touch him.

Pretty legit/Seem safe
  • Lindsay Ellis
  • Jim Sterling
  • HBomberguy
  • GameXplain
  • NewRockStars
  • ComicsExplained
  • Gamegrumps

Trash
  • JonTron - I'm tired of explaining this but the dude said that immigrants dillute the gene pool, he talked about white people as if we are endangered, he quoted fake black on white crime stats from the Nazi playbook, he quotes the dailystormer, he's defended Richard Spencer, he did a piece for Breitbart. He apologized? No he fucking didn't. He said he could have been more "prepared" with his "research" but said in his "apology" and subsequent appearances that he stands by everything he said. He also declined when asked to take back what he said. Fuck him.
  • Laci Green - YouTube celeb who also has MTV clout as a feminist and a sex educator. But she started dating a prominent alt-right YouTuber, said she finally "took the red pill" and started to stay flat out transphobic things.
  • Geeks+Gamers - "gaming" YouTube designed to tell you that feminists, poc, LGBTQ want to take your rights away
  • World Class Bullshitters - "movie discussion" YouTube designed to tell you that feminists, pic, LGBTQ want to take your rights away
  • YellowFlash - literal IStandawithVic propaganda, viciously anti-women

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Because she said press coverage of Hollywood is overwhelmingly white and male and needs greater diversity.
What was really wild about this to me was the amount of women online that joined right in on the hate toward her. Using the same tactics as the men, trying to co-opt other things in order to try to appear reasonable, etc. I feel at times female youtubers get overlook on this front but they can be just as bad.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
What was really wild about this to me was the amount of women online that joined right in on the hate toward her. Using the same tactics as the men, trying to co-opt other things in order to try to appear reasonable, etc. I feel at times female youtubers get overlook on this front but they can be just as bad.

A lot of these women begin echoing the views of their partners when they get into relationships. It's kind of scary.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Just watch DSP, problem solved.

I rarely have this problem. But, to be fair, that's probably because I tend to only give the time of say to podcasts and youtubers who openly affiliate themselves with progressivism/queerness/blackness/etc..

Seriously, this right here is the answer. I never have issues with shitty recommendations because every gaming channel I follow is openly progressive.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One that people seem to fall into the trap on a lot, even here, is Grace Randolph. You see her movie reviews and "leaks" videos linked all over often despite the fact she is an alt-right racist.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck em all.

Burn YouTube to the ground.

Except Lindsey Ellis her videos are actually quality content just put her somewhere less trash.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
One that people seem to fall into the trap on a lot, even here, is Grace Randolph. You see her movie reviews and "leaks" videos linked all over often despite the fact she is an alt-right racist.

Was she always? She shows up in recommendations for me even when I say I'm not interested but I watched one or two of her stuff many many years ago and she always seemed a bit off to me.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
All I watch is Game Sack. I hope Joe isn't one 😬

I know Dave made a slight comment about Anita Sarkeesian one time but I hope it was sarcasm.

I don't even know what you are talking about, but just because Dave or anyone else makes a slight offhand comment doesn't instantly make them an "MRA/alt-right shithead". That's just ridiculous. It's almost as if anyone can't make a mistake or misspeak anymore, or certainly can't joke about certain things now and then.

Anyone should be able to tell the difference between something like that and then an actual garbage person. Lord knows there are indeed plenty of those on YT.

Yep, I don't get into a channel without googling "their name+ controversies".

Amazing. Do you do that with everyone you do business with or all other entertainers?

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
I been thinking about this a lot lately. Like you said, the younger audience are at a real risk of being served terrible people disguised as 'fun youtuber'. It sucks.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I been thinking about this a lot lately. Like you said, the younger audience are at a real risk of being served terrible people disguised as 'fun youtube guy/girl'. It sucks.

This is literally nothing new at all. The exact same could be said for entertainers in general over the last, well, forever.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so are h3h3 and JonTron bad actors? I kinda know JonTron is, but is h3h3 one by association?

I see JonTron on their thumbnails from time to time and I get the feeling they're enablers.

I used to be a fan of H3H3 back in the day before he sold out and became a soulless bitter brand-lord out of his league doing a format you can tell he hates every second of for the money.

It's really hard to blame H3H3 too much for trying to stay positive on Jontron if you know the story behind them. I don't think they agree politically on much at all, but Jon helped Ethan and his wife basically start their careers. When they didn't have much, he gave his wife a job even though she wasn't really qualified in order to give them a hand up. They owe much of their lives today to him, and he's like family.

Where H3 intersected with a lot of alt-right is being opposed to 'censorship.' He might make fun of 'SJW' types, but he comes at it in a naive/dumb way. Like the guy who got yelled at by that woman in Seattle for making a lewd joke and bailing out before the punchline... Ethan seriously seemed to think he was making a 'I'm a lovably fat guy' joke. He may have changed since then, though. I gave up on him once the podcast began. With Ethan, unfortunately, it always comes back to money. He defends controversial stuff on youtube mostly because the Adpocolypse hurt his income to the point he had to change format to avoid getting a normal 9-to-5.

It's very similar to the situation where RDJ came out and spoke on behalf of Mel Gibson, who has said worse things than Jon. I don't think it he should necessarily be sticking his neck out for him like that, but I think in that case, maybe it speaks to the quality of RDJ's character that he would take a risk out of loyalty to a friend rather than doing what was best for his career at the time. I personally wouldn't be friends with someone who said such offensive things, but then again, I have family whom I love that say conservative things and I'll never ever betray them or abandon them so it's probably that level of love between them.

I used to like Jontron until he milkshake duck'd. Damn shame.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
This is literally nothing new at all. The exact same could be said for entertainers in general over the last, well, forever.
While that is true, I'm more talking about those people being suggested to you by youtube while looking at unrelated stuff. One clickbait title someone falls for and bam, now it's all 'feminist cringe compilation' etc.
But also yes, people have been terrible forever.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this right here is the answer. I never have issues with shitty recommendations because every gaming channel I follow is openly progressive.

this is bullshit, the same thing happens to multiple people I know... hell there's one friend who only watches Double Toasted on YT and he watched one of their video game related uploads and for whatever fucking reason it started recommending him random lets play channels that definitely lean towards... FAR RIGHT.

Doesn't matter if the channel if Progressive or not, Youtube doesn't take that factor into account but glad its worked out for you.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where whenever I discover a white male YouTuber that I kinda like I Google their name and alt-right, then scan through their videos for problematic shit. Hate that I have to do that.

But there are some black ones on my shit list too. Like MKDB or whatever his name is. Anyone who defends PewDiePie loses me as a follower. There are too many "both sides" cowards out there too. I almost respect them less than the alt-right fools.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Since I repeat watch a whole bunch of leftist tubers, my recommendations thankfully show me more of the same type of content. If I clear my history and cookies, I know it'll go straight to shit as I see Jontron's racist ass when I go onto Youtube on another computer.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
this is bullshit, the same thing happens to multiple people I know... hell there's one friend who only watches Double Toasted on YT and he watched one of their video game related uploads and for whatever fucking reason it started recommending him random lets play channels that definitely lean towards... FAR RIGHT.

Doesn't matter if the channel if Progressive or not, Youtube doesn't take that factor into account but glad its worked out for you.

I'm glad my personal experience is bullshit, thanks for that!

I didn't mean to imply it was perfect. I can only speak to what I've seen, and specifically gaming stuff.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was she always? She shows up in recommendations for me even when I say I'm not interested but I watched one or two of her stuff many many years ago and she always seemed a bit off to me.
She may have been then but was better at keeping it quiet but like you, something seemed off even back then. She rants openly now about forced diversity and SJWs.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of shit I got for that end part on twitter was both hilarious and eye opening. On the plus side, sonicfox apparently saw it and tweeted me with a winky face or something. Which, well, was very on brand.

It's really disheartening how many people I've interacted with who are fans of the channel who default to thinking I share, or will at least tolerate, their shitty opinions on social issues.

It's also telling that I frequently get messages from people thanking me for not being one of *those* guys on youtube when I personally think I do the bare minimum to show I'm not an asshole. YouTubers really need to do more to address this shit and let their audience know it's not okay.
Oh shit. I forgot you posted here. You earned a sub from me.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck em all.

Burn YouTube to the ground.

Except Lindsey Ellis her videos are actually quality content just put her somewhere less trash.
Youtube is great though, at least if you use it as a learning tool. I guess most of you only watch videos with people talking about themselves because that's where I'd expect to find trash.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my personal experience is bullshit, thanks for that!

I didn't mean to imply it was perfect. I can only speak to what I've seen, and specifically gaming stuff.

I didn't say your experience was bullshit, get over yourself. I was simply stating that sticking to progressive channels is BS and isn't a fool proof plan to avoid YT shitty algorithms. Seriously, folks are so quick to hottake/get all in their feelings. Try actually reading without thinking everything is a personal attack.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Someone in another thread said that we should make a "they ain't shit" list.

That's a pretty good idea.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
She may have been then but was better at keeping it quiet but like you, something seemed off even back then. She rants openly now about forced diversity and SJWs.

It's sad that people seem to want to see that stuff.

Not to say that women can not be all hating in the SJW but I have to wonder if because she is a woman making those claims if she feels it helps her keep an audience in a sea of movie reviewers.

Also I feel she was apart of something big some.media thing and got dropped and that may have caused it? I haven't got time to research it.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that people seem to want to see that stuff.

Not to say that women can not be all hating in the SJW but I have to wonder if because she is a woman making those claims if she feels it helps her keep an audience in a sea of movie reviewers.

Also I feel she was apart of something big some.media thing and got dropped and that may have caused it? I haven't got time to research it.
There could be a lot of her trying to get that alt-right audience in there. but no matter why she preaches alt-right talking points it isnt any better to preach them because you sold your dignity for clicks vs saying them because you believe them.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
If y'all are looking for good movie reviewers who aren't trash the former What The Flick team formed a new channel:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
There could be a lot of her trying to get that alt-right audience in there. but no matter why she preaches alt-right talking points it isnt any better to preach them because you sold your dignity for clicks vs saying them because you believe them.

Your right. It's bad no matter what. No idea why the YouTube club seems to foster this and then they all defend each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So some of the guys that I watch (alternate history/ history/ history battles)

I searched 'Youtube Name + Controversy'

History/Speculative History/Battles

AlternateHistoryHub - Saw one mention of being eurocentric bias
>>>KnowledgeHub
Kings and Generals - Nothing
>>>>>ColdWaryeah
Invicta - Nothing
BazBattles - Nothing
Epic History TV - Nothing
Historia Civilis - Nothing
History Buffs - Nothing

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Someone also mentioned if the channel is not based off of 'nerd culture' or gaming/comics or are personalities etc, that they likely will be ok.

That seems to work

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm frustrated how I can't put my hands on this analysis, but I remember someone detailing why Youtube is a perfect playground for alt-right to prosper, while the left thrives on platforms like Twitter way more. Because there is not back and forth, no discussion, no confrontation of ideas. It's just someone putting themselves in position of power and knowledge, behind a camera, and talking to themselves for god knows how long they see fit, in order to carefully lay out their arguments in the way they see fit, without ever having to have to confront anyone about them ever. The illusion of knowing better, the illusion of scenery, and the flaws in our cognitive biases when confronted to all that, allows for the alt right discourse to flourish in incredible ways on Youtube. It would be fascinating, really, if it wasn't threatening the very fabric of our societies.
I've been thinking a lot about this post and also about some research a colleague and I completed last year about the spread of "alternative narratives" - basically far- and alt-right views and their movement on social media. We looked at reddit, Twitter, and mainstream outlets, but not YouTube, but I wonder how much overlap there would be due to this very thing. I raise this point because one of the things we found is that mainstream outlets inadvertently spread far- and alt-right points due to attempts at objectivity and presenting various angles.

Progressive/leftists and attempted apolitical creators and voices on YouTube (and individuals on Twitter) may also do the same, which means everything ends up slanted toward far- and alt-right views, and adding in this point raised about those creators not engaging in good faith with counter points... yeah, just seems to rapidly inflate the issue.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of shit I got for that end part on twitter was both hilarious and eye opening. On the plus side, sonicfox apparently saw it and tweeted me with a winky face or something. Which, well, was very on brand.

It's really disheartening how many people I've interacted with who are fans of the channel who default to thinking I share, or will at least tolerate, their shitty opinions on social issues.

It's also telling that I frequently get messages from people thanking me for not being one of *those* guys on youtube when I personally think I do the bare minimum to show I'm not an asshole. YouTubers really need to do more to address this shit and let their audience know it's not okay.
*searches videos and sees a video about Darwin dying in First Class*
Finally someone that speaks to me

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Recently started watching Civvie 11's channel. Really hoping he doesn't turn out to be an asshole. So far he seems alright.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They are wonderful. A lot better than someone with a questionable past like Jeremy Jahns.
Wait. I watch his stuff too sometimes even though he's not that great of a reviewer. What has he done?

Edit: Found a video of him in blackface. Don't want to link it. Unsubscribed.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Someone also mentioned if the channel is not based off of 'nerd culture' or gaming/comics or are personalities etc, that they likely will be ok.
That seems to work
It works for me. I have no interest in gaming anymore or anybody considered a youtube personality. Sounds like strong social opinion is coming from younger target topics. I like dogs and cats and cars, and perhaps the occasional educational science topic. I never get any political-racist garbage described.

If you are getting opinionated youtube junk in your recommendations list, it's because you are clicking on similar junk.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah anyone who mentions SJW, cucks, liking Joe Rogan or Peterson get an instant unfollow from me.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've been quite lucky in avoiding a lot of that aspect of YouTube.

Granted, I don't really like gaming 'personalities' (with the exception of a few channels I've watched on and off over the years) and also don't subscribe to many, if any, channels.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Is there a list anywhere?

Captain Marvel, Star Wars and KickVic helped us clean out the trash a little easier but it would be helpful to have a singular list that told me who is a MRA, alt-right or just a full-out Nazi (often they are all three). To echo the point of many others in this thread, I'm getting sick of getting four videos into a channel only to hear them drop a comment shitting on abuse victims of whispering that feminism is evil propaganda.

Apolitical
  • The Gaming Historian
  • Scott the Woz
  • Antdude
  • SuperBunnyHop
  • Stop Skeletons From Fighting
  • Jonny Vs - somewhat concious, called himself out for making unintentionally transphobic jokes and apologized. Thought that was cool of him.
  • The Completionist - if you watch enough of his videos you'll hear some borderline alt-right lingo, similar to dropping words like "triggered" or "sjw" but it's super rare. I heard three examples during a 40 video binge and he never, ever went into politics. If anything, he seems like a good-hearted dude. I hope he is.

Risky/Shitty
  • nostalgia critic - read up on how he treats those who work for him. Really sad stuff
  • Angry Video Game Nerd - era seems split on this dude, he gets defended a lot. I always loved his videos back in the day but his buddy Mike Matei(?) had a bunch of super, SUPER racist comics on the internet and James himself went all in on the Ghostbusters boycott. He swore up and down that it had nothing to do with it being a female cast but the fact that it was removed from the GB legacy/story, but it was still a super bad look.
  • PewDiePie - come on. Dude swears he's not alt-right, he's not racist but his Nazi jokes and casually dropping of the n-word make me not want to touch him.

Pretty legit/Seem safe
  • Lindsay Ellis
  • Jim Sterling
  • HBomberguy
  • GameXplain
  • NewRockStars
  • ComicsExplained
  • Gamegrumps

Trash
  • JonTron - I'm tired of explaining this but the dude said that immigrants dillute the gene pool, he talked about white people as if we are endangered, he quoted fake black on white crime stats from the Nazi playbook, he quotes the dailystormer, he's defended Richard Spencer, he did a piece for Breitbart. He apologized? No he fucking didn't. He said he could have been more "prepared" with his "research" but said in his "apology" and subsequent appearances that he stands by everything he said. He also declined when asked to take back what he said. Fuck him.
  • Laci Green - YouTube celeb who also has MTV clout as a feminist and a sex educator. But she started dating a prominent alt-right YouTuber, said she finally "took the red pill" and started to stay flat out transphobic things.
  • Geeks+Gamers - "gaming" YouTube designed to tell you that feminists, poc, LGBTQ want to take your rights away
  • World Class Bullshitters - "movie discussion" YouTube designed to tell you that feminists, pic, LGBTQ want to take your rights away
  • YellowFlash - literal IStandawithVic propaganda, viciously anti-women
Let me add "Upper Echelon Gamers" to the Trash list. The name of the channel should've tipped me off but... hoo boy.

I watched one video that appeared on my recommendations and it was worse than I expected.

And one more time I'd like to recommend Austin Eruption for gaming content. He's good people.

Oct 30, 2017
Is it possible to create a chrome extension to remove channels or videos by known alt right youtubers on recommendation lists? Create a block list and target their divs and delete them?

I had the same problem lately. I was also looking for female reviews for comic book movies and havent found a lot.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So some of the guys that I watch (alternate history/ history/ history battles)

I searched 'Youtube Name + Controversy'

History/Speculative History/Battles

AlternateHistoryHub - Saw one mention of being eurocentric bias
>>>KnowledgeHub
Kings and Generals - Nothing
>>>>>ColdWaryeah
Invicta - Nothing
BazBattles - Nothing
Epic History TV - Nothing
Historia Civilis - Nothing
History Buffs - Nothing
History Buffs should be in the trash given how he reviews some of the movies.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I stick to a handful of creators, and don't give anyone a single click who's uttered 'sjw' without irony. Youtube is just a hellscape of stupidity and hate.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Of late I've been watching a lot of movieflame and Company Man. They don't really give too many opinions, but are quite informative.