• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
This literally just happened to me yesterday. At this point I have a sort of sixth sense for it where I somehow know before I even look at their full profile page. That's how often it happens.

Meanwhile, YouTube puts out their gauzy pro-LGBT videos and puts a rainbow on their logo with no shame or irony.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
What about Chris Stuckmann?

I'm not going to say you should "cancel" him or anything but I do think he's shown to be pretty tone deaf when it comes to race.

In his review for Get Out, he literally posted a photo of him with a bunch of black people to essentially prove that he isn't racist.

AxlRmO2D3i2HKe9dLN8w2IJsqhABkGoLv6OOvQ5Uwcc.png

Again, this was In a review for Get Out. The film that pokes fun at white liberals that totally would have voted for Obama a third time. The irony there made me lmao and I haven't been able to take him seriously since then.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
English is not my first language. So don't take it immediately as if I was trying to say something negative. I think if you read the rest of my post, that's pretty clear it's not the case... But if the use of "female" is bad I do apologize.

It was pretty clear you didn't mean anything by it so no worries. Calling a woman "a female" is something the alt-right and the MRAs do to dehumanize them and imply inferiority.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Just re-announcing that Leonard French is also a bad actor.

I was planning on making a topic about it, but he basically freaked out over the whole Steven Crowder controversy. Argues it's "free speech" but acted like a troll on Twitter.

Also called it and have encouraged those banned from patreon to use an alternative called Spons.us...
I have no idea about the company itself, but Leonard mentioned a few alt right people. (I stopped my patreon after that..)

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah it's pretty fucking sad days. Even if they don't espouse shitty views themselves, a bunch of them will still jump to defend those that do.

Watch Donoteat01. He's good shit

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This is why i never let myself get attached to youtubers.
Celebrities of any size in general should be kept at arms length. I still remember how burned I was after Laci Green switched from outspoken feminist sex educator to alt-right men's rights deacon. I follow a lot of progressive YTbers but I'm always on edge for the moment they might switch into monsters.

Jun 10, 2018
I've avoided this problem by simply mostly subscribing to animal/nature channels like Blue World TV and Animal Logic. Unless their content is really interesting, everyone else gets a watch and nothing else.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For me, it was Agora, Last Samurai, and 300.
Just re-announcing that Leonard French is also a bad actor.

I was planning on making a topic about it, but he basically freaked out over the whole Steven Crowder controversy. Argues it's "free speech" but acted like a troll on Twitter.

Also called it and have encouraged those banned from patreon to use an alternative called Spons.us...
I have no idea about the company itself, but Leonard mentioned a few alt right people. (I stopped my patreon after that..)

Darth-vader-noooo-gif-4.gif

thanks for sharing I'm going to go unsubscribe right now

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
I never said he did.

I never said you did, I just explained it to you.
Not to speak for others, but I just wanted to point out that your original tone was quite passive aggressive, so naturally people will construe it in a negative way. You didn't really explain it either, so I don't think that you can say you did.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say you should "cancel" him or anything but I do think he's shown to be pretty tone deaf when it comes to race.

In his review for Get Out, he literally posted a photo of him with a bunch of black people to essentially prove that he isn't racist.

Again, this was In a review for Get Out. The film that pokes fun at white liberals that totally would have voted for Obama a third time. The irony there made me lmao and I haven't been able to take him seriously since then.
Welp, that's two in one day for me. First Jeremy now Chris.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017

I think it's telling in the photographic proof he has black friends, he's on the side with the people near him tilting away to maintain personal space.

Nov 1, 2017
If anyone wants three good (I swear I'd be depressed if they were otherwise) game based channels I suggest.

Austin Eruption.
The Sphere Hunter
Mr. Clemps

These three are kinda my trinity youtube wise. All three are likable, Austin likes a lot of anime/manga games and some oh so bad games, Sphere Hunter does games like DMC, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc plus has such a relaxing voice to listen too and Mr. Clemps the charming scamp he is covers stuff like Nier, Kingdom Hearts, FF spin offs and more.\

Each is worth a look, they all have great vids up. Lots of content.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not to speak for others, but I just wanted to point out that your original tone was quite passive aggressive, so naturally people will construe it in a negative way. You didn't really explain it either, so I don't think that you can say you did.

No, it really wasn't.I quite neutrally asked them to not do it, and offerend an alternative. Whatever you're reading into it is your skewed perspective on what I actually said.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Tone Policing, Condescending Sexism
No, it really wasn't.I quite neutrally asked them to not do it, and offerend an alternative. Whatever you're reading into it is your skewed perspective on what I actually said.
Naw, a neutral reply would have been along the lines of "You shouldn't do that. 'A female' is a derogatory remark; you should say woman." Explaining it would be continuing to give the reason why, such as the alt-right context. It's clear you have a frustration about it, but tell me, if a six year old who doesn't know any better came to you and said female instead of woman, do you think your response would be appropriate?

I'm not saying you were being mean, but it was definitely passive aggressive, which is definitely not something that goes in hand with educating someone. Furthermore, you're continuing to be aggressive with me, by saying my perspective is skewed; you're completely disregarding that anyone could interpret it differently when a few people have said exactly that already.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "female" stuff bothers me. I'm always telling my nephews to stop saying it. Sadly, I think it may just be too late now cause IRL I even hear women saying it, like on a near daily basis and I don't feel right correcting them. Idk.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Naw, a neutral reply would have been along the lines of "You shouldn't do that. 'A female' is a derogatory remark; you should say woman." Explaining it would be continuing to give the reason why, such as the alt-right context. It's clear you have a frustration about it, but tell me, if a six year old who doesn't know any better came to you and said female instead of woman, do you think your response would be appropriate?

I'm not saying you were being mean, but it was definitely passive aggressive, which is definitely not something that goes in hand with educating someone. Furthermore, you're continuing to be aggressive with me, by saying my perspective is skewed; you're completely disregarding that anyone could interpret it differently when a few people have said exactly that already.

I'd rather you not overstep your bounds to police my "tone". Thanks. I could put a name to what you're doing right now, it ends with "splaining".

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
I'd rather you not overstep your bounds to police my "tone". Thanks. I could put a name to what you're doing right now, it ends with "splaining".
Sorry, I just want a community that's nicer to each other, and we all inadvertently do negative things from time to time that could use outside perspective. But okay.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry, I just want a community that's nicer to each other, and we all inadvertently do things from time to time that could use outside perspective. But okay.

Maybe start looking into the mirror and don't try to tell people that they're being passively aggressive when they're neutrally telling someone to please not say "a female" and say "woman" instead.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
Something that baffles me about youtube is that there's no way I'm aware of to mass delete comments containing things like slurs.

You can only add words to a filter which will make any comment featuring that word be flagged at which point you have to manually review it to either delete the comment (but not block the person from posting), block the person from posting (which hides the comment) or allow it.

As a creator the moderation tools on youtube are a total shitshow. Even reddit has more comprehensive tools for getting rid of that kind of crap.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "female" stuff bothers me. I'm always telling my nephews to stop saying it. Sadly, I think it may just be too late now cause IRL I even hear women saying it, like on a near daily basis and I don't feel right correcting them. Idk.

The whole "if you use female you're alt right" thing was always stupid.

Finny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat, a guy who does a bunch of arts and crafts stuff and is really entertain-
"Subscribe to pewdiepie"
Aaaaand we're moving on!

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is one of the very reasons why YouTube needs a serious competitor.

There also needs to be a list of what YouTube channels &/or people to avoid, like JonTron & Boogie.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Interestingly enough, I was just watching Rantasmo's latest video last night where he talks about the whole Youtube and pride controversy, (His channel is a super good one BTW if you want to watch more about media and the queer community and he's friends with Lindsey Ellis.)

so this thread seems super relevant to my interests as lately I've been dropping more channels and have become more wary of which ones I pick up. Thankfully, because I mostly watch LeftTube and queer youtubers so I haven't been recommended many of the problematic ones, though I also watch a lot of let's plays so there's always a concern. >> Hell, how I even learned about resetera was the whole "change the channel" controversy which had me dropping a lot of channels.

Is there a resource where you can type in a YouTuber and it will tell you if they are pieces of shit or not?

I watch a ton of YouTube guys (mostly around history, or speculative history) and I always wonder..

Funny enough, I always search channel names on resetera to see what people are saying about them (if there is any) XD but if that fails, I usually just search their name plus controversy like others have suggested.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London

LMAO!! I remember this, FFS Chris.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely have this problem. But, to be fair, that's probably because I tend to only give the time of say to podcasts and youtubers who openly affiliate themselves with progressivism/queerness/blackness/etc..

Suggestions?

It's not a rabbit hole I've ever tried to go down because nerd-culture attracts so much garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrities of any size in general should be kept at arms length. I still remember how burned I was after Laci Green switched from outspoken feminist sex educator to alt-right men's rights deacon. I follow a lot of progressive YTbers but I'm always on edge for the moment they might switch into monsters.
Yup. I never want to be the person going "y-you just don't know him like I do!" for some popular person I don't know personally.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6C49Tdx.jpg

someone posted this image, which is from may 2018 and therefor after the initial allegations against max landis

i really like jenny man this is upsetting
Remember guy is a manipulator and essentially preys on women. I don't think it's fair to cancel her when she's likely a victim of his personality--misled by his lies if nothing else.

From what I understand she no longer follows him on social media, but follows his exes instead. It seems she may have a new understanding of Max.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Remember guy is a manipulator and essentially preys on women. I don't think it's fair to cancel her when she's likely a victim of his personality--misled by his lies if nothing else.

From what I understand she no longer follows him on social media, but follows his exes instead. It seems she may have a new understanding of Max.

Yeah I made a thread last night but realized I was being unreasonable/unfair to her

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm always wondering what sorts of videos people around here watch that apparently get them such onerous recs. Generally, all YouTube ever recommends to me is stuff from channels I've watched before.

That is, until I started watching videos complaining about the game of thrones ending. Though I feel like that one was on me. I'd get halfway through a video and then the host would start yammering on about how GRRM is a "classical feminist" and I'd know I taken a wrong turn somewhere. But again, I'm just getting recommendations for more videos by those same people.

Dec 29, 2017
I've cut all YouTube gaming stuff out except for Maximilian Dood and Avoiding the Puddle. I only use YouTube now for Cars, Cooking, and Music.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm always wondering what sorts of videos people around here watch that apparently get them such onerous recs. Generally, all YouTube ever recommends to me is stuff from channels I've watched before.

That is, until I started watching videos complaining about the game of thrones ending. Though I feel like that one was on me. I'd get halfway through a video and then the host would start yammering on about how GRRM is a "classical feminist" and I'd know I taken a wrong turn somewhere. But again, I'm just getting recommendations for more videos by those same people.

For me the biggest issue is that I'll watch a video critical of an alt-right darling like Lobster Dad or the Virgin Manlet and then be inundated with recommendations for said darlings DESTROYING THING