• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm always wondering what sorts of videos people around here watch that apparently get them such onerous recs. Generally, all YouTube ever recommends to me is stuff from channels I've watched before.

That is, until I started watching videos complaining about the game of thrones ending. Though I feel like that one was on me. I'd get halfway through a video and then the host would start yammering on about how GRRM is a "classical feminist" and I'd know I taken a wrong turn somewhere. But again, I'm just getting recommendations for more videos by those same people.
you actually stumbled onto the secret

anything adjacent to what was once considered "nerd" culture like scifi/fantasy stuff, video games, comics, or anime is a breeding ground for all that bullshit

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
For me the biggest issue is that I'll watch a video critical of an alt-right darling like Lobster Dad or the Virgin Manlet and then be inundated with recommendations for said darlings DESTROYING THING

YouTube did that intentionally so alt-righters would see alternate viewpoints as well not just the echo chamber.

Works both ways I guess.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's genuinely worse than the algorithm being flawed tbh

It'll always be flawed as long as Google only cares about money and keeping people glued to YouTube watching videos and ads.

This interview with a former alt right:

Specifically credits the algorithm in putting ContraPoints into his recommended list that got him out of the right wing bullshitosphere.

That's probably the only bone Google will give us beyond some token bans of racists.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
It'll always be flawed as long as Google only cares about money and keeping people glued to YouTube watching videos and ads.

This interview with a former alt right:

Specifically credits the algorithm in putting ContraPoints into his recommended list that got him out of the right wing bullshitosphere.

That's probably the only bone Google will give us beyond some token bans of racists.

Yeah I've heard a few stories for other ex-alt/right wing radicals that part of the reason they left the movement is because they actually started watching counter argument videos from leftubers and realizing how flawed the original arguments were.

It's part of why it's so important we have people like ContraPoints and Hbomberguy counter-arguing these people even if it seems like a lost cause at times. :/

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019

can't watch right now. what did yongyea do and who's laymen gaming?

i thought his e3 videos were kinda good, but never heard of him before last week so i guess nothings lost lmao.

glad i checked out of gaming youtube a looooong time ago and i just sub to ign now so if i really need my fix it's there.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
can't watch right now. what did yongyea do and who's laymen gaming?

i thought his e3 videos were kinda good, but never heard of him before last week so i guess nothings lost lmao.

glad i checked out of gaming youtube a looooong time ago and i just sub to ign now so if i really need my fix it's there.

The Layman Gaming guys are kind of trash.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm frustrated how I can't put my hands on this analysis, but I remember someone detailing why Youtube is a perfect playground for alt-right to prosper, while the left thrives on platforms like Twitter way more. Because there is not back and forth, no discussion, no confrontation of ideas. It's just someone putting themselves in position of power and knowledge, behind a camera, and talking to themselves for god knows how long they see fit, in order to carefully lay out their arguments in the way they see fit, without ever having to have to confront anyone about them ever. The illusion of knowing better, the illusion of scenery, and the flaws in our cognitive biases when confronted to all that, allows for the alt right discourse to flourish in incredible ways on Youtube. It would be fascinating, really, if it wasn't threatening the very fabric of our societies.
Also all of these talented left wing YouTube creators do these remarkable video essays. They are detailed, thorough, and sourced. But they are long. It takes a long time to unpack and reframe disingenuous right wing arguments.
Three Arrows, Contrapoints, Hbomberguy, and the like make great content but it's much easier to watch a 5 minute Prager U video and walk away feeling good.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of why it's so important we have people like ContraPoints and Hbomberguy counter-arguing these people even if it seems like a lost cause at times. :/

I'd say it works. They are just years ahead in using YouTube to sway minds and political views.

Their arguments are bullshit, just need short, effective videos to dismantle their crap.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim from Grand Illusions will never be milkshake ducked. He is the Mr. Rogers of the internet.

www.youtube.com

Grand Illusions

We collect unusual toys, and with a collection of over 20,000 (and rising!) that have been bought over the last 30 years, there is a wide variety of amazing ...

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I don't follow any YouTube channel besides Rooster Teeth. If I want to get information on something I just type it in the search bar and watch like 5 different videos from different channels. I subscribe to literally only one channel.

Deleted member 55795

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I remember finding TheQuatering and thinking his a decent Gamer Youtuber... then he made a comment in an Apex Legend video about the lack of White Characters

Unsubbed in a heartbeat

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking up retro game console videos this evening and was recommended Forge Labs' video on only playing Gameboy Color for 30 days. Thought it was cool enough content, then watched another video he did about World War Z (was curious about the game). Not bad so far.

Then I scrolled down through his video uploads.

Amongst the Halo and gaming content, I saw a thumbnail for a video he entitled "Buzzfeed is Trying to Take Down PewDiePie".

Great. I went and looked up his Twitter feed and saw that he had retweeted Ben Shapiro a few months ago.

Yeah, no. The two gaming videos of his I watched weren't exactly alarming, but stanning for PDP and retweeting Ben Shapiro certainly was.

Thanks, YouTube algorithm. I just wanted to look at videos on how to possibly fix a Super Nintendo PPU.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was looking up retro game console videos this evening and was recommended Forge Labs' video on only playing Gameboy Color for 30 days. Thought it was cool enough content, then watched another video he did about World War Z (was curious about the game). Not bad so far.

Amongst the Halo and gaming content, I saw a thumbnail for a video he entitled "Buzzfeed is Trying to Take Down PewDiePie".

Great. I went and looked up his Twitter feed and saw that he had retweeted Ben Shapiro a few months ago.

Yeah, no. The two gaming videos of his I watched weren't exactly alarming, but stanning for PDP and retweeting Ben Shapiro certainly was.

Thanks, YouTube algorithm. I just wanted to look at videos on how to possibly fix a Super Nintendo PPU.

Fuck, I actually liked some of his videos. I remember him making fun of idiots crying over Mortal Kombat 11 costumes not being revealing enough.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anyone wants three good (I swear I'd be depressed if they were otherwise) game based channels I suggest.

Austin Eruption.
The Sphere Hunter
Mr. Clemps

These three are kinda my trinity youtube wise. All three are likable, Austin likes a lot of anime/manga games and some oh so bad games, Sphere Hunter does games like DMC, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil etc plus has such a relaxing voice to listen too and Mr. Clemps the charming scamp he is covers stuff like Nier, Kingdom Hearts, FF spin offs and more.\

Each is worth a look, they all have great vids up. Lots of content.

Ehhh, Suzi (Sphere Hunter) has a bit of a checkered history, and her comments on FFXV "male gaze" controversy made me go "hmmmmm"

She lays low now on basically everything non-gaming/channel/cosplay related, but the fact she has connections and did an AMA on Opie and Anthony subreddit years back and associates(ed) with people like that doesn't inspire confidence. Like, she called Anthony a friend, the guy that got fired for this. And the AMA she did was a year or two after he got fired for that iirc.

She makes cool, relaxing, borderline ASMR vids, but don't I wouldn't exactly be shocked if her channel pops up here down the road as one of the ones that "suddenly" heel turns.

Last edited:

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
JohnTron is a piece of shit and I've never completely turned around from liking to hating a YouTuber so quick in my life......aaand yet I watch a video every now and then because I like his comedy, which sucks.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

Same thing happened with me but I didn't finish the game boy video as I stopped watching as soon as he started trying to sell a hideous hoodie in the middle of it.

Glad I didn't waste any more of my time

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I only follow the urbex community (as an urbexer myself) and they're all chilled people. I don't watch much other YouTubers, especially not gamers.

the further away people are from shit nerd culture, the less shit.

My favourite urbexers:

Broken Window Theory (German and English, mostly European explores)

The Proper People (American, mostly American explores but the past year they did European explores on their European trip)

www.youtube.com

The Proper People

FAQ: http://theproperpeople.com/about/ We are two friends, Bryan and Michael, who travel in search of abandoned buildings to explore and photograph. We film ...

IKS Exploration (English, UK explores)

shiey (Lithuanian, European explores)

Exploring the Unbeaten Path (Dutch, worldwide explores - like Fukushima)

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
I watched some MK11 Krypt guides and my recommended became full of them. Like everyday there is a new Quartering video.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I steer clear of most gaming channels. I can't count how many times I've heard some asshole youtuber casually throw out a slur. I rarely add new subs.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if a YouTuber is a republican or has republican takes on issues. I absolutely do care if they even have a hint of white supremacy/bigoted views. They are a huge threat to this world.

And yes, there is line between republican and alt right/bigoted despite trump trying to erase that line.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care if a YouTuber is a republican or has republican takes on issues. I absolutely do care if they even have a hint of white supremacy/bigoted views. They are a huge threat to this world.

And yes, there is line between republican and alt right/bigoted despite trump trying to erase that line.

Is there though?

PiercingFlatLadybird-size_restricted.gif

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is. Despite being a democrat myself, I have republican friends that are republicans not for white supremacy but for the idea of a government being small and even hates trump for what that clown has done to their party.

I just absolutely will not boil this thing down to all republicans being racists. It just seems like a Childish thought. I will grant however that an alarming percentage are bigoted.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Someone let me know if any of these guys are bigots, they're the only gaming channels I watch these days:

quill18
Pravus gaming
Praetorian HiJinx
Many A True Nerd
HeirofCarthage
NGParadox
Keralis
Horath Drak

Also been binging The Armchair Historian for bitesize history lessons.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of shit I got for that end part on twitter was both hilarious and eye opening. On the plus side, sonicfox apparently saw it and tweeted me with a winky face or something. Which, well, was very on brand.

It's really disheartening how many people I've interacted with who are fans of the channel who default to thinking I share, or will at least tolerate, their shitty opinions on social issues.

It's also telling that I frequently get messages from people thanking me for not being one of *those* guys on youtube when I personally think I do the bare minimum to show I'm not an asshole. YouTubers really need to do more to address this shit and let their audience know it's not okay.

Huh didn't know you were on this website. But yeah I've seen all the shit you upload on twitter and it's pretty nuts how shitty some of the people who sub to you are. Keep up the good work though. Your channel makes me laugh on essentially every video.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
Huh didn't know you were on this website. But yeah I've seen all the shit you upload on twitter and it's pretty nuts how shitty some of the people who sub to you are. Keep up the good work though. Your channel makes me laugh on essentially every video.

Contrary to what you'd think, the worst things don't come from trolls or people who don't like me, but fans of the channel.

A lot of YouTubers put on this facade of faux friendliness, which while useful for connecting with people in a superficial way I guess, engenders a level of entitlement that borders on toxic. It's insane.

Trolls leave a message and fuck off, a subset of fans though feel entitled to a response or explanation and will get very annoyed if it's not given. Something I'd argue is far more insidious and harmful.

I hate it.

Nov 1, 2017
Ehhh, Suzi (Sphere Hunter) has a bit of a checkered history, and her comments on FFXV "male gaze" controversy made me go "hmmmmm"

She lays low now on basically everything non-gaming/channel/cosplay related, but the fact she has connections and did an AMA on Opie and Anthony subreddit years back and associates(ed) with people like that doesn't inspire confidence. Like, she called Anthony a friend, the guy that got fired for this. And the AMA she did was a year or two after he got fired for that iirc.

She makes cool, relaxing, borderline ASMR vids, but don't I wouldn't exactly be shocked if her channel pops up here down the road as one of the ones that "suddenly" heel turns.

Not something I wanted to read but good to know.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
There is. Despite being a democrat myself, I have republican friends that are republicans not for white supremacy but for the idea of a government being small and even hates trump for what that clown has done to their party.

I just absolutely will not boil this thing down to all republicans being racists. It just seems like a Childish thought. I will grant however that an alarming percentage are bigoted.
Conservative philosophy is underpinned by maintaining hierarchy, 'tis main belief system includes markets where consumers (rich ones) have all the agency. Insuring social stability by crushing minorities eg putting women, coloureds, and lgbtq in their "place". It's a direct line to bigotry. https://youtu.be/E4CI2vk3ugk

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Good job at a compelling argument.

do they still vote for him though?

I know of two of them that went independent last election. As for the others, i didn't ask. I tend not to ask people who they vote for because I judge people on their actions and words. Not a piece of paper.

Conservative philosophy is underpinned by maintaining hierarchy, 'tis main belief system includes markets where consumers (rich ones) have all the agency. Insuring social stability by crushing minorities eg putting women, coloureds, and lgbtq in their "place". It's a direct line to bigotry. https://youtu.be/E4CI2vk3ugk

Your source is highly questionable. This topic has already been debated to death over the last 100 years. Absolutely bigotism and conservatism have been interweaving for hundreds of years. I'm just saying it didn't START that way. It's morons like trump that keep it close bedfellows.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know of two of them that went independent last election. As for the others, i didn't ask. I tend not to ask people who they vote for because I judge people on their actions and words. Not a piece of paper.

Voting for a hateful piece of shit is an action.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Good job at a compelling argument.

Your source is highly questionable. This topic has already been debated to death over the last 100 years. Absolutely bigotism and conservatism have been interweaving for hundreds of years. I'm just saying it didn't START that way. It's morons like trump that keep it close bedfellows.
Why is it questionable? Edmund Burke literally thought democracy was destroying society, that rationalism in thought/logic should be jettisoned I favour of 'natural processes'.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voting is an action!

Voting for a hateful piece of shit is an action.

Fair point. If I find out they voted for trump ill stamp my feet and yell at them then call them racists. Is that what we've devolved to? I'm a democrat because it's policies are steeped in tolerance, not hate. I'm ultimately on the side that will prove to unite the country, not just "kill the other half"

Edit: this was a harsh way to articulate my point but Yes, if I found out they voted for trump, I would ask them why and it would be a serious conversation. If I felt it was coming from a bigoted mindset then I would cut contact with them. That's the bottom line.

OP
OP
SArcher

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fair point. If I find out they voted for trump ill stamp my feet and yell at them then call them racists. Is that what we've devolved to? I'm a democrat because it's policies are steeped in tolerance, not hate. I'm ultimately on the side that will prove to unite the country, not just "kill the other half"

Edit: this was a harsh way to articulate my point but Yes, if I found out they voted for trump, I would ask them why and it would be a serious conversation. If I felt it was coming from a bigoted mindset then I would cut contact with them. That's the bottom line.

It doesn't mater where it's coming from, by voting Trump they're saying they're okay with his horrible rhetoric. It honestly feels like your posts are from 2015-2016. How anyone rational can believe that republicans are anything but utterly hateful or ignorant to the nth degree in 2019 is beyond me.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't mater where it's coming from, by voting Trump they're saying they're okay with his horrible rhetoric. It honestly feels like your posts are from 2015-2016. How anyone rational can believe that republicans are anything but utterly hateful or ignorant to the nth degree in 2019 is beyond me.

Look, this isn't a hill on I'm willing to die on. Especially considering I'm a democrat. You can believe what you wish. I'm just simply saying the world is grey. Not black and white. I've seen some of the best and worst actions come from a republican. It's made my opinion that they aren't all evil. Just 75% of them <_<

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The issue here is the use of the guilt-by-association fallacy. Does being friends with a racist make you automatically racist? No.

For me, the point when they cross the line is actively defend or agree with their friends' views.

We don't have control over others' views. Wouldn't it be better to exclusively deplatform the ones with actual radical views?
Everyone is associated to somebody until we run out of people.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Agreed. It's sad. I literally didn't subscribe to a new channel until I had watch over 10 videos. Next video starts playing and 5 words into the video I pause and unsubscribed.

Monday upload: Top 10 Nitendo Switch Accessories You Need To Own

Wednesday uploaded: Is Steaming The Future Of Gaming?

Friday upload: TRIGGERED SJWs Trying To Censor Video Games and Forcing Minorities Down our Throats..... also...HITLER WAS RIGHT.

I'm glad that in all the gaming channels I've subscribed to throughout the years, this never happened to me.
The shitheads I used to subscribe to had their shit aired out on twitter mostly.
Edit: most of the channels I subscribed to are cooking channels so in a way I was blessed that I escaped from all the GG toxicity with my skin intact.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, ever since Gamergate became a thing (and got worse), I've bailed on all things gaming except for some isolated things. Even gaming side on this board is something I seek to avoid 99% of the time.

I will say that the 'good channels' out there are essentially all presented by women, and tend to focus much, much less on violent shooters or fighting games and more on other games.