• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
We need to make a full, complete list of what alt-right, right-wing, conservative sites, channels, blogs, etc. to avoid.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Someone let me know if any of these guys are bigots, they're the only gaming channels I watch these days:

quill18
Pravus gaming
Praetorian HiJinx
Many A True Nerd
HeirofCarthage
NGParadox
Keralis
Horath Drak

Also been binging The Armchair Historian for bitesize history lessons.

Interested in this, those guys are a fair portion of strategy gaming players (you like paradox games?) that I watch

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the same problem, except that whenever I find a new channel I like it turns out that they like to order boneless chicken wings and I have to boycott them on principle.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I watched a couple of Contrapoints videos and the recommendations Youtube made based on that just didn't make any fucking sense. I expect that most youtube video game channels (outside of group channels like Playstation Access, WhatCulture) are probably racists.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's why I'm glad most of the gaming sites, groups & YouTubers I follow are already openly LGBTQ-friendly or advocates - such as Waypoint, Giant Bomb, Clemps, SuperButterBuns, Super EyepatchWolf, etc. I've gotten lucky so far with no one I'm a fan of being a bigoted piece of shit so far.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I know he has problematic viewpoints (I don't remember specifically what he has done).

But I tend agree with his stances when it comes to developers/publishers doing anti consumer BS (EGS, Bethesda etc)
well it was mainly for me what got me to stop watching his videos was his lack of being critical for anythink Kojima related as well as CD projekt Red.

I mean I understand if you're a fan of those kind of games, or the developer but at the same time you can clearly tell that he would feel uncomfortable making a video say about the recent controversy surrounding cyberpunk 2077 etc.

plus to me I kind of got turned off with one of his videos was almost an exact copy of a Jim Sterling it episode of jimquisition.. :0

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
The following are gaming YouTube channels that I once subscribed to many months ago, but dropped immediately after learning more about their creators. I don't recall if they've been posted in this thread, so here they are (possibly again):

- GGGManlives (outed as a gamergater and liar; there's a thread on Era about his Anthem debacle)
- Skill Up (behind Laymen Gaming and a PDP defender; also tweeted that ResetEra should be deleted)
- Angry Video Game Nerd (not due to James Rolfe, but because of Cinemassacre's Mike Matei, known racist, among other issues)

I hate to think that watching any of their videos gave them a cent in ad revenue, but that's what's probably happened. I don't want to knowingly support any creators or channels with toxic viewpoints, no matter how benign their content may come off as.

Best I can do now is avoid their stuff entirely, and to be critical of/do a Google search for creators of videos that YouTube's algorithm recommends, at least in regards to gaming and other fan-based hobbies and interests.

As I brought up previously, a YT video search went from how to repair Super Nintendo consoles to a "hey, that looks interesting" game channel to learning that the channel's creator made a PDP defense video and retweeted Ben Shapiro. YouTube autoplay isn't always a good thing.

Rather than end on a down note, here are some good gaming channels that I am subbed to. I don't think any of these creators will be milkshake ducked, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

- ACG (great reviews; Karak posts here, I believe)
- Digital Foundry (gaming tech and retro analysis; they also post here)
- Fact Fiend w/Karl Smallwood (posted in this thread, but insightful/amusing conversations on a variety of subjects, including game-related ones)
- Hbomberguy (covers more than games, though)
- Kim Justice (retro/genre/company retrospectives)
- Modern Vintage Gamer (retro/modern game hacking retrospectives)
- My Life in Gaming (retro/hardware insights)
- PSVR Without Parole (chill channel with a positive vibe that covers PSVR)
- Stop Skeletons From Fighting (various retro and individual creator/genre/title focus)
- Super Eyepatch Wolf (detailed insights into a variety of media, including games)

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I started watching N64 related videos on this one channel that has videos of almost all N64 games. Then a few videos in, he made a joke Anita Sarkeesian and started talking about how games are not as good as they used to be because of political correctness. Sigh.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So since this topic turned me on to Fact Fiend I wanted to recommend a channel that I found taking a risk with the youtube algorithm.

I have only watched a few of his videos so far but have already seen him call out the kind of people that blame all the bad things on women and "SJWs". I actually watched Megamind for the first time after his video saying that its actually a good movie.

Dec 3, 2018
I follow a few gun history channels like Forgottenweapons, as far as I'm aware they haven't uploaded anything obvious and as long as they didn't make a habit out of it I would still watch because I find them interesting.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming channels that I checked out for the first time recently that then quickly revealed themselves to be shit:

Layman Gaming, Upper Echelon Games & LegacyKillaHD.

With the ending of GoT I also recently came across multiple channels that had some pretty funny roasts of the final episodes but turned out to be alt-right cesspools such as The Critical Drinker, Thor Skywalker and MooLer (that last one became apparent real fast considering who some of the the people were who participated in the GoT video).
I rarely watch YouTube videos with "personalities" but I Upper Echelon Games said some suspect stuff really quick so they were removed. I'd say the only videos I watch now with people talking are Adam Savage, games done quick runs, fighting game tournaments, and (very rarely) the rad Brad and angry Joe.

If Brad or Joe are shitheads please let me know so I can reduce rarely to never.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
When I pop onto a recommended video that seems interesting from a channel I've never heard of, first thing I do is check their social media buttons, go to twitter & check who they follow.

If they have zero overlap with the people I follow & follow a bunch of right wing or IDW nonsense, that usually tells me enough.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did Sphere Hunter do/say?
This is what promoted me to unsubscibe:

Like I would understand being a fan of his work but to go on and defend him? That's something I can't approve off.

A shame really, she is usually pretty good on these issues but to stan for Reuben out of all people when he did this:
www.resetera.com

Reuben Langdon (Dante of DMC) blames sexual harassment victims; thinks MeToo and BLM"goes too far" UPDATE: Regrets nothing; Capcom never investigated

Reuben Langdon, who is the voice and mo-cap actor behind Dante in the Devil May Cry series since Devil May Cry 3, was recently interviewed on YouTube and during said interview an extended discussion about the recent events of his fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna having various sexual harassment...

I can't say this doesn't affect my enjoyment of her videos.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This is what promoted me to unsubscibe:

Like I would understand being a fan of his work but to go on and defend him? That's something I can't approve off.

A shame really, she is usually pretty good on these issues but to stan for Reuben out of all people when he did this:
www.resetera.com

Reuben Langdon (Dante of DMC) blames sexual harassment victims; thinks MeToo and BLM"goes too far" UPDATE: Regrets nothing; Capcom never investigated

Reuben Langdon, who is the voice and mo-cap actor behind Dante in the Devil May Cry series since Devil May Cry 3, was recently interviewed on YouTube and during said interview an extended discussion about the recent events of his fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna having various sexual harassment...

I can't say this doesn't affect my enjoyment of her videos.

That's disappointing, to say the least. I knew she was a DMC shill, but damn.

Oct 30, 2017
Sad about sphere hunter. I was looking for more game reviews from women and she was one of the decent ones I found

Going thru r/games and found a video about Mortal Kombat 11 videos being demonetized. I was a bit happy to find it was a girl doing the video but she said a magic word and I'm off to her video list. And lo and behold its all alt right headlines.

Anyway the channel name is Psychology Nerd. Now I'm wondering if she is demonetized not because of MK11 but because of hate speech and trying to bait people into siding with her on reddit

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I follow a few gun history channels like Forgottenweapons, as far as I'm aware they haven't uploaded anything obvious and as long as they didn't make a habit out of it I would still watch because I find them interesting.

Only a matter of time, I imagine. I like Ian and occasionally watch his stuff, but I will not be surprised the day something slips and that'll be it.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really fucking hate how pogo turned out. He made some great remixes but his shit views made me stop letting my kids listen to it. Thankfully they were really young at the time so they don't really remember it.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
must have missed this one. What did he do?
He made a video where he said he hates gay people and thought the Orlando shooting was fantastic. I think he tried to walk it back like it was performance art, or something or other. Soon as I saw that I said nope, not playing his music in my home. And it really sucked because my kids (and me too) really liked those remixes. After that I didn't look back. I don't think they remember but before all that we used to play his songs all the time on car rides.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
He made a video where he said he hates gay people and thought the Orlando shooting was fantastic. I think he tried to walk it back like it was performance art, or something or other. Soon as I saw that I said nope, not playing his music in my home. And it really sucked because my kids (and me too) really liked those remixes. After that I didn't look back. I don't think they remember but before all that we used to play his songs all the time on car rides.

jesus... I don't know what I expected but it wasn't full psychopath. Reading up on it he seems like the absolute worst of the worst of these youtubers

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
jesus... I don't know what I expected but it wasn't full psychopath. Reading up on it he seems like the absolute worst of the worst of these youtubers
It's important to remember what his original username was, as well. I uh, would rather not repeat it here.

Man, so much of that music was just completely charming. I'd completely forgotten until just now and I'm kinda heartbroken all over again. Upular in particular: I can hear every note in my head, which is almost as good I guess.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's important to remember what his original username was, as well. I uh, would rather not repeat it here.

Man, so much of that music was just completely charming. I'd completely forgotten until just now and I'm kinda heartbroken all over again. Upular in particular: I can hear every note in my head, which is almost as good I guess.

My babies used to sing along to his stuff and it was really fun to hear those cuts he made. How can someone with so much hate make magical songs?

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
The only thing I've recently had to be careful around is AngriestPat and it's less him and more his girlfriend. She's appeared on the Dick Show and had some real wack takes about gender stuff. I will gladly admit tho, they both have been better about acknowledging and supporting LGBT folk so I'm starting to be more comfortable with it. I'm willing to let folk change barring they didn't commit some wack ass nonsense. I don't watch Pat's stuff because I can't really do the constant big mad, but that's just where I'm at in my life. I wanna chill and relax.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People were unaware Angry Joe was a sexist piece of shit? He went straight into the sexist angle in his criticism of TLJ two years ago.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some of the channels that I like

DisneyFoodBlog
Technology Connections
FastPass Facts
stopan (an incredible leather bookbinder)
Shesez (unseen gaming stuff)
Jenny Nicholson is the real life Luna Lovegood
Scott the Woz seems like a nice kid
MetalJesusRocks (haven't heard anything bad about him)

What about those Good Mythical Morning guys? I don't know too much about them.

I remember finding TheQuatering and thinking his a decent Gamer Youtuber... then he made a comment in an Apex Legend video about the lack of White Characters

Unsubbed in a heartbeat

Lol Jeremy is a stoooory

He managed to get himself banned from all official Magic tournaments after bullying a prominent cosplayer in the Magic scene. So he pivoted to video games.

Then at Gen Con, he got in a fight with someone and got kicked out from Gen Con as well.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This trend is pretty terrifying. This is a strange new chapter in entertainment consumption - when anyone can become a content creator, it's easy to spread shitty views I suppose. Everything feels pretty hopeless and mean spirited these days.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There's alt-right stuff on my feed from watching some random gaming channels from time to time. Getting tired of filtering them out. I don't even watch gaming stuff that much on YouTube and hate watching people play games. Zero appeal to me. Yet I still get this stuff on my feed. Most of the ones that are on that side are usually white and appeal to the whole "anti-SJW" thing anyway. So I guess I've been able to avoid most of it as I've tried to watch channels featuring PoC.

I follow sports stuff, fitness, art, music, book, tech channels, and movie related channels. Gaming is overwhelmingly full of alt-right goons. I have clicked on some of the videos out of curiosity-- mainly because of the Jordans Peterson thread here. I'm pretty firm in my beliefs and I think people are being extreme when they act like YouTube will mindlessly turn into one of them. If you get convinced that it's ok to be a bigot through a series of YouTube videos from man children, then maybe your views were fickle to begin with.

They're just people with shit views and fragility when it comes to their privilege and being checked lol. They aren't under some trance. They choose to be what they are. Guess this must be a huge concern for kids playing Fortnite who might find out their favorite streamer is saying it's cool to be a bigot.

Oct 25, 2017
There's alt-right stuff on my feed from watching some random gaming channels from time to time. Getting tired of filtering them out. I don't even watch gaming stuff that much on YouTube and hate watching people play games. Zero appeal to me. Yet I still get this stuff on my feed. Most of the ones that are on that side are usually white and appeal to the whole "anti-SJW" thing anyway. So I guess I've been able to avoid most of it as I've tried to watch channels featuring PoC.

I follow sports stuff, fitness, art, music, book, tech channels, and movie related channels. Gaming is overwhelmingly full of alt-right goons. I have clicked on some of the videos out of curiosity-- mainly because of the Jordans Peterson thread here. I'm pretty firm in my beliefs and I think people are being extreme when they act like YouTube will mindlessly turn into one of them. If you get convinced that it's ok to be a bigot through a series of YouTube videos from man children, then maybe your views were fickle to begin with.

They're just people with shit views and fragility when it comes to their privilege and being checked lol. They aren't under some trance. They choose to be what they are. Guess this must be a huge concern for kids playing Fortnite who might find out their favorite streamer is saying it's cool to be a bigot.

I think you underestimate the pliability of children and preteens which is mostly who these people are trying to target.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I dont think the kids would be concerned. Quite the opposite. If their favorite streamer, who they often see as a "friend" says something bigoted, they think thats fine or "its just a joke"..

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think you underestimate the pliability of children and preteens which is mostly who these people are trying to target.

I may have worded it poorly. But I was more or less saying this would probably be a bigger concern to me if I had a kid using my YouTube.

I have heard cases even here on ERA where members had family members who watched Fox News long enough to start buying into it so perhaps I'm underestimating how easily persuaded even some older people are. I still feel like some of them had to believe it on some level to begin with.