• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People were unaware Angry Joe was a sexist piece of shit? He went straight into the sexist angle in his criticism of TLJ two years ago.
I mean Joe defended Anita back when people went after her in the gamergate days and made a video ranting about people hating on Battlefield 5 because of women being in the game instead of the real issues.

However, seems he has changed these past months. God I hate when this happens.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I am just glad Angry Joe isn't one.
Indeed. Granted he has offended some by taking the middle neutral road a lot, not outright supporting your cause but also not decrying the anti-"SJWs" or trolls, but you can tell his heart is in the right spot. He knows digression and he can tell that people who wage war on the internet against women's right movments or promote white supremacy are kooky and openly distances himself from it at least. And then his own content is focused on what matters, constructively praising and critiquing games and movies that he has an investment in.

Somehow I think Joe managed to walk a line respectfully with his rage-driven and rantful videos. He's not creating a personality for himself, he really does have a wild temper but only rarely does he become off-putting for it and he has made great collaborations with other creators and industry bigwigs in the past. I'm really grateful to have seen continued great output from the guy for 10 years.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I used to like joe , but after he started doing more sucky movie reviews and featuring Del more on the channel, just no.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think you underestimate the pliability of children and preteens which is mostly who these people are trying to target.
Eh... I maybe just haven't browsed enough to see this but some of you guys really come across as paranoid. I don't think I've seen any popular content creator who exploits his viewer's age to push agendas. In the scenario that they do push a hostile agenda I don't think they literally, meticulously planned and farmed in a younger audience to deliberately manipulate the next generation that should manage society. That is definitely a danger, but how often has this, outright, really happened? What channels are we talking about, exactly?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, the only general gaming related stuff I watch is Castle Super Beast and Maximillian Dood.

I don't think I'll have to worry about them being shitheads.

Right?

Right?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I used to like joe , but after he started doing more sucky movie reviews and featuring Del more on the channel, just no.
What's the deal with that Delreth fella? I seen some posts before about not wanting to watch anything with him in it or just a vibe of not being cool with him. Never stuck around Joe's content when he started being more involved so curious why people seem to not like him.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. Granted he has offended some by taking the middle neutral road a lot, not outright supporting your cause but also not decrying the anti-"SJWs" or trolls, but you can tell his heart is in the right spot. He knows digression and he can tell that people who wage war on the internet against women's right movments or promote white supremacy are kooky and openly distances himself from it at least. And then his own content is focused on what matters, constructively praising and critiquing games and movies that he has an investment in.

Somehow I think Joe managed to walk a line respectfully with his rage-driven and rantful videos. He's not creating a personality for himself, he really does have a wild temper but only rarely does he become off-putting for it and he has made great collaborations with other creators and industry bigwigs in the past. I'm really grateful to have seen continued great output from the guy for 10 years.
I used to think the same, but it's no longer that he's simply not decrying anti-sjws, he IS one.

Stonebeard

The Fallen
Feb 19, 2019

Very nicely worded! As long as he doesn't spiral down the alt right/gamergate rabbit hole as so many youtube gaming personalities tend to do, i'll continue watching his content.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Joe defended Anita back when people went after her in the gamergate days and made a video ranting about people hating on Battlefield 5 because of women being in the game instead of the real issues.

However, seems he has changed these past months. God I hate when this happens.
Dude is probably still a liberal but he needs to pretend to be alt right to not lose his viewers. It's a fucking sad state of affairs with youtube or any social media platform. Not sure what can be done about it, seems like newer generations keep getting more indoctrinated into right wing ideology because of this inherent social pressure.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He used the term SJW. In a way to mock/belittle others.

If you call someone a SJW that means you are sexist. Full stop. There is no middle ground in using that term. There is no walking the line in using that term. SJW is a vile sexist insult and there is no context in which you can call someone a SJW without appearing to be a raging sexist.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't watch YouTube is my solution to this. The only YouTube stuff I watch is pretty much interesting videos linked from resetera, the occasional speedrun and dbz abridged.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
There's so many channels and videos on YouTube, don't know thow the last time I see anything like that.

Yeah, I watch a ton of stuff and most if not all of them don't even mention politics. Not quite sure how this is something a lot of people seem to be running into. This is my current "lineup" (stuff I watch regularly), and I haven't run into any alt-right stuff on any of them.

Gaming/Tech Channels:
EasyAllies
UrAvgConsumer
Bitwit
Nick Robinson
JayzTwoCents
Kinda Funny Games
Wulff Den
Linus TechTips
Unbox Therapy
Paul's Hardware

Art Channels:
Kai W
Peter McKinnon
The Art of Photography
F Stoppers
Proko
Zimri Mayfield
The Futur

Travel/Urban Exploration Channels:
Bald and Bankrupt
Indigo Traveler
This is Dan Bell
Exploring with Josh

Misc Channels:
Cut (Interesting interviews/Debates)
First We Feast (Celebrity Interviews)
Matt Stone (Competitive Eater)
Crypto Crow (Crypto Currency discussion)
Kurzgesagt (Philosophy)
Townsends (1700s life reenactment/recipes)
Good Mythical Morning (News)
Internet Today (News)

Last edited:

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I watch a ton of stuff and most if not all of them don't even mention politics. Not quite sure how this is something a lot of people seem to be running into.
A lot of times the assholes not try to hard very hard, even if they don´t speak about politics you can sense with comon video game themes that bring the SJW are ruining viideo game crowd. You just need to pay a little of attention

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really had this problem.
Youtube's algorithms seem to recommend you a lot of alt-right channels if you watch gaming videos but it's pretty much always super obvious from the title and the thumbnail.
Most alt-right youtubers just can't go 5 seconds without mentioning SJWs so I always found them really easy to avoid.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

If you call someone a SJW that means you are sexist. Full stop. There is no middle ground in using that term. There is no walking the line in using that term. SJW is a vile sexist insult and there is no context in which you can call someone a SJW without appearing to be a raging sexist.

I think there is more than being a sexist when using that term. I don't even think he was talked about women when he used the term.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is more than being a sexist when using that term. I don't even think he was talked about women when he used the term.
It is a sexist attack on males too you realize right?. When used against a man It's the modern equivalent of calling a guy gay (or the far harsher f-word to be blunt) because they care about non dudebro things. SJW is thrown at men who are feminist constantly.

It is used to mock men who aren't acting manly enough, it is not just an attack when said about a woman. It's an awful vile term that is used because it's not accepted to call someone gay (or the harsher version of gay) so this is their code word to use instead. Anyone who uses it knows damn well what they are trying to say.

No one call someone a SJW in a non-offensive non-toxic male way.

It's an offensive and sexist attack, there is literally no way to spin this.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Lol the phrase is used for more than just women, like come on. It's literally someone who just over themselves to be offended. The term is super loaded and has baggage of being connected with incels and nazis, but I've never heard anyone say the phrase is emasculating.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the phrase is used for more than just women, like come on.
Read my above post.

People like Angry Joe call men SJW's when they really mean to call them "fags" because they are feminist and care about non-dudebro things.

SJW when used against men is just a code word for using "fag" because that word has thankfully been deemed unacceptable. And that is a fucking fact.

Find me an example of someone calling a gut a SJW where the context isn't an attack on them being feminist or caring about diversity. Because it doesn't exist.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Linus has been pretty outspoken about how he dislikes "PC culture", and they've outright said they would give Alex Jones a platform on their video platform (Floatplane) if he paid them.

When hiring for the site (when they post videos advertising openings), they've stated you have to be the kind of person who isn't going to "get offended", which is mostly code for "we're going to say some bigoted or sexist shit from time to time and you have to deal with it".

He's definitely been incredibly dismissive or tries to dodge around the controversy whenever it comes up, or to people bringing up racism/sexism in the industry in general.

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It is a sexist attack on males too you realize right?. When used against a man It's the modern equivalent of calling a guy gay (or the far harsher f-word to be blunt) because they care about non dudebro things. SJW is thrown at men who are feminist constantly.

It is used to mock men who aren't acting manly enough, it is not just an attack when said about a woman. It's an awful vile term that is used because it's not accepted to call someone gay (or the harsher version of gay) so this is their code word to use instead. Anyone who uses it knows damn well what they are trying to say.

No one call someone a SJW in a non-offensive non-toxic male way.

It's an offensive and sexist attack, there is literally no way to spin this.

Stop being defensive. I agree it is offensive and that it can be used to indicate someone is sexist, but it also be used to indicate a lot of other bigotry. I'm not spinning anything.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Read my above post.

People like Angry Joe call men SJW's when they really mean to call them "fags" because they are feminist and care about non-dudebro things.

SJW when used against men is just a code word for using "fag". And that is a fucking fact.
That's not how facts works sorry. All that is your opinion, though I wouldn't be surprised that some people have that feeling when using that term.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop being defensive. I agree it is offensive and that it can be used to indicate someone is sexist, but it also be used to indicate a lot of other bigotry. I'm not spinning anything.
Which is my point, Angry Joe using is proof he is a bigot.

That's not how facts works sorry. All that is your opinion, though I wouldn't be surprised that some people have that feeling when using that term.
Find me one example of it being used in a non-bigoted/non-offensive way. Because I am 100% positive it doesn't exist. It is a term used exclusively by bigots to mock diversity and feminism. Be it against men or women.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Linus has been pretty outspoken about how he dislikes "PC culture", and they've outright said they would give Alex Jones a platform on their video platform (Floatplane) if he paid them.

He's definitely been incredibly dismissive or tries to dodge around the controversy whenever it comes up, or to people bringing up racism/sexism in the industry in general.
I remember a video of them announcing they were looking for people to hire, and one of the things they mentioned is being able "to take a joke" or something similar. Needless to say what the people who work for him look like, right? At least they advertised themselves as such I guess.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Okay, but I don't think being apathetic about politics necessarily makes someone "an alt-right shithead" though, and I think LTT is up to something like 20+ employees now, so the channel is a lot more than just Linus (and Luke). The impression I get from their channel is that nobody seems particularly in touch or informed about US politics, and considering they're a Canadian channel that's not related to politics that's fine.

I remember a video of them announcing they were looking for people to hire, and one of the things they mentioned is being able "to take a joke" or something similar. Needless to say what the people who work for him look like, right? At least they advertised themselves as such I guess.

Sounds like a rad place. Why are you judging people based on their looks?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Okay, but I don't think being apathetic about politics necessarily makes someone "an alt-right shithead" though, and I think LTT is up to something like 20+ employees now, so the channel is a lot more than just Linus (and Luke). The impression I get from their channel is that nobody seems particularly in touch or informed about US politics, and considering they're a Canadian channel that's not related to politics that's fine.

I mean Canadian politics aren't exactly dissimilar of US politics right now, we are dealing with the exact same populist rightwing shit. And Linus is 100% the face of the channel. Luke is the face of Floatplane.

They know who Alex Jones is. They just don't care and place money above everything else, while going out of their way to downplay issues when they do intersect with them or their industry. James does it just as much too whenever he's on. It's not just "1 or 2" of them. It's just as problematic.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Canadian politics aren't exactly dissimilar of US politics right now, we are dealing with the exact same populist rightwing shit. And Linus is 100% the face of the channel. Luke is the face of Floatplane.

They know who Alex Jones is. They just don't care and place money above everything else, while going out of their way to downplay issues when they do intersect with them or their industry. James does it just as much too whenever he's on. It's not just "1 or 2" of them.

Fair enough, still don't think it makes them "alt-right" though.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Which is my point, Angry Joe using is proof he is a bigot.

Find me one example of it being used in a non-bigoted/non-offensive way. Because I am 100% positive it doesn't exist. It is a term used exclusively by bigots to mock diversity and feminism. Be it against men or women.
I have used to term when interacting with with white straight liberals, when they try to tell me about racism in a America (I'm black) and my experiences as a queer person. I will say it's not really apart of my vocab unless being antagonized by those people. My use of language isn't really limited because a group of internet losers use it. Same way I use f*g with my queer friends sometimes and say nigga.

Oct 26, 2017
Youtubers people should try.

Kim Justice. Does really good, long, well researched documentaries usually about gaming from the '80s and '90s the twist being it's a very UK focused channel. If you want to learn what it was like on the other side of the pond when Nintendo was dominating the US with the NES then this channel is probably the best.

NoClip. Probably well known here already, Danny O'Dwyer's crowdfunded documentary channel that gets fantastic access to the actual developers for terrific insights into their games. Production values are through the roof here.

Game Makers Tool Kit. Another popular one that does dissections of gameplay and design principles. Some may find it a little condescending as he usually explains concepts form the angle that the viewer is new to them, but I feel it's a good approach.

Writing On Games. Similar in tone to Game Makers Tool Kit but generally focussing on narrative instead, however he usually details how gameplay mechanics are intrinsically tied to narrative.

Slopes Game Room. Does lots of "complete history of" videos detailing the entries into specific franchises and his earlier videos were pretty Sega Centric. Also does features on vinyl game soundtracks. Nothing earth shattering here, but Daniel's generally such a pleasant personality it makes his stuff nice to watch.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
What I find odd is that interspersed in very leftist YouTube suggestions I will still have a random Sargon or Thubderf00t video pop up. Maybe YouTube thinks I want to watch one and then go watch a video dissecting how dumb it is? I normally skip the first step lol

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I have used to term when interacting with with white straight liberals, when they try to tell me about racism in a America (I'm black) and my experiences as a queer person. I will say it's not really apart of my vocab unless being antagonized by those people. My use of language isn't really limited because a group of internet losers use it. Same way I use f*g with my queer friends sometimes and say nigga.

99.9% of the time SJW is used as a slur.

That's literally how it is. It's great that you've chosen to ignore that and continue to want to use it, while comparing it to words that you can rightfully attempt to reclaim for yourself, and if your group of friends wants to accept your usage of that, that's fine.

But it's sole actual purpose nowadays is one of dismissive hate.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I find odd is that interspersed in very leftist YouTube suggestions I will still have a random Sargon or Thubderf00t video pop up. Maybe YouTube thinks I want to watch one and then go watch a video dissecting how dumb it is? I normally skip the first step lol
Youtube's AI is probably based on Boogie haha

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I used to think the same, but it's no longer that he's simply not decrying anti-sjws, he IS one.

I think that's up to one's personal beliefs to decide. He isn't outright crusading anything and in a recent controversy video where he addresses some accusations he was picking a fight with some YouTuber that was just throwing the SJW label left and right. I think he is neutral to all of the internet labeling, I don't really see him as one of those blindly accusing everything on being "SJW"

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
99.9% of the time SJW is used as a slur.

That's literally how it is. It's great that you've chosen to ignore that and continue to want to use it, while comparing it to words that you can rightfully attempt to reclaim for yourself, and if your group of friends wants to accept your usage of that, that's fine.

But it's sole actual purpose nowadays is one of dismissive hate.
See thats just not how I see the world context always matters, if a white guy calls a white guy "nigger" I'm not going to really care as much as of they call a black person that word. Like I am a liberal gay black male, I am a feminist and supporter of LGBT+ rights if I am everything that embodies a sjw I can use it as I see fit. The worst thing that can happen to me is that I'll be called out by some, but I never have any problem explaing myself.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See thats just not how I see the world context always matters, if a white guy calls a white guy "nigger" I'm not going to really care as much as of they call a black person that word. Like I am a liberal gay black male, I am a feminist and supporter of LGBT+ rights if I am everything that embodies a sjw I can use it as I see fit. The worst thing that can happen to me is that I'll be called out by some, but I never have any problem explaing myself.
It's an awful and offensive term used by hateful bigoted people. I implore you to stop using it. There is a reason calling someone a SJW at this forum results instantly in a ban.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with that Delreth fella? I seen some posts before about not wanting to watch anything with him in it or just a vibe of not being cool with him. Never stuck around Joe's content when he started being more involved so curious why people seem to not like him.

Delrith is the "angry gamer" of the group, and he's about as "angry gamer" as that title suggests. Unfortunately, he's a real good friend of Joe's, a major asset as the main guy who digs into how games work, and a "fiery" contrast to Joe's more milquetoast portrayal, all of which contribute to him having a major presence and influence on how the channel is run.

The Youtube algorithm can't actually morally determine what content is "good" or not, so it instead tries to group things together via similar buzzwords, subject matters, and content types. And unfortunately there are far more "moderate centrist" and alt-right content creators producing in far greater droves, which naturally tilts the algorithm in their favor.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an awful and offensive term used by hateful bigoted people. I implore you to stop using it. There is a reason calling someone a SJW at this forum results instantly in a ban.
Lol this place has no moral high ground lots of toxicity goes unchecked, hell trolls are shitting up a thread about Bernie right now.
Yeah, Cheebo is 100% on this. You say context matters--the context of SJW is that only alt-right bigots and their fans use SJW as an insult.

Your example of a white man calling another white man n*gger not bothering you is a little strange to me, TBH. Growing up in Virginia, if you hear a white man call another white man that, it is *explicitly* as an insult, because to a lot of Southern racists, nothing could be worse than being called a black person (or, as some of them note, a n*gger, which is not just a black person, but a specific "type" of bad black person).

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Yeah, Cheebo is 100% on this. You say context matters--the context of SJW is that only alt-right bigots and their fans use SJW as an insult.

Your example of a white man calling another white man n*gger not bothering you is a little strange to me, TBH. Growing up in Virginia, if you hear a white man call another white man that, it is *explicitly* as an insult, because to a lot of Southern racists, nothing could be worse than being called a black person (or, as some of them note, a n*gger, which is not just a black person, but a specific "type" of bad black person).
I said "not as much", I never said it wouldn't bother me. Please don't tell me how I should react to words that belittle my people. Funny enough I've used to to describe liberals who react with out thinking.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I watch a ton of stuff and most if not all of them don't even mention politics. Not quite sure how this is something a lot of people seem to be running into. This is my current "lineup" (stuff I watch regularly), and I haven't run into any alt-right stuff on any of them.

Gaming/Tech Channels:
Nick Robinson
Not blaming you for not knowing cause it's not like it pops up on his channel but: