• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Serif, developer of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher, has today announced three measures aimed at helping students, photographers, designers, artists and other creatives affected by the global COVID-19 pandemic.

They are:
  • Use Affinity apps on Mac or Windows completely free for three months, with a new 90-day downloadable trial and no obligation to buy
  • A 50% discount for users who would rather buy and keep the apps, including iPad versions
  • A pledge to engage more than 100 freelance creatives for work, spending the equivalent of Serif's annual commissioning budget in the next three months. More details of this will be announced soon.
Serif Managing Director Ashley Hewson says: "Unfortunately we are hearing many stories from the creative community about how they are being severely impacted by the effects of the pandemic.

"We know we can't solve many of these problems, but hopefully these things will make life a little easier for people who rely on creative software to make a living but may be stuck at home without access to their usual tools, or for students who might suddenly be without access to their Affinity apps on their personal devices.

"By increasing our spend on commissioning work from creative freelancers we can also put some extra money into a part of the industry which will be particularly affected."

The free trial will be available to download until 20 April. The 50% discount will end on the same date and applies to the full suite of Affinity apps.

For more details and to download the free trial, go to https://affinity.serif.com

affinity.serif.com

Serif takes action to support creatives during COVID-19 pandemic

Serif, developer of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher, has today announced three measures aimed at helping creatives affected by the global COVID-19 pandemic.

affinity.serif.com

Affinity – Professional Creative Software

From the smoothest photo editing and design software to next-gen page layout, Affinity is pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with creative technology.

I have been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for the last couple of years, and they are great Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop replacements. No subs. Just one payment. I bought both at full price, no regrets at all. And I just purchased Affinity Publisher (Adobe InDesign replacement).

Highly recommended.

Edit: Be sure to purchase the software on the Affinity website and not on the Microsoft Store or Mac Store. If you purchase the software on those stores, the licence gets tied to that MS/Apple account.

But if you purchase the software on the Affinity store, you get an installer and serial number. That way you can install in two computers (I have the software installed on my PC and my wife's PC).

EDIT: Serif has decided to extend the availability of both the trial and discount for another month, until 20 June.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
how comparable to the adobe products are they?

I've been using photoshop and indesign for about 10 years, will i be good to go just jumping in?

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
how comparable to the adobe products are they?

I've been using photoshop and indesign for about 10 years, will i be good to go just jumping in?
Very similar. Some naming conventions are kinda different, but in a couple of weeks you learn most of the differences. These pieces of software are in no way like GIMP or Inkscape or any other open-source tools (no offense). These are full Adobe software replacements.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I've been waiting for a deal like this and I've seen threads about the Affinity Photoshop like program. I genuinely might do this to save some money because man, paying for Photoshop is becoming a tiring expense.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very similar. Some naming conventions are kinda different, but in a couple of weeks you learn most of the differences. These pieces of software are in no way like GIMP or Inkscape or any other open-source tools (no offense). These are full Adobe software replacements.
How do you feel about the Designer software? I'm mostly illustrator based, and was looking around for alternatives. Might just try the 90 day trial for now.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
How do you feel about the Designer software? I'm mostly illustrator based, and was looking around for alternatives. Might just try the 90 day trial for now.
Very good. Working with masks is kinda different and it gets some time to get used. Also, I didn't like the fact that you can't see any objects outside of the artboard by default (you need to deactivate that). I usually put objects outside the artboard while I'm arranging stuff.

Other than that, I do not miss Illustrator at all.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating using Affinity Photo on the iPad when its UI is so different than Photoshop on the PC, but Photoshop on the iPad is so barren and terrible (along with the ridiculous "need to be CC subscribed to use it" requirement) that Affinity Photo is by far the best iPad solution.

Adobe is going to have their lunch eaten by Affinity by people growing up on Affinity instead if they keep up their hubris. It won't be for a while, but eventually they'll need to step up their game in the iOS space.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumped Photoshop for Affinity last year and couldn't be happier. It's a steal even at full price.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
hm maybe

I just got a popup saying my photoshop isn't genuine even though im paying a monthly payment and downloaded it from them. Adobe is so obnoxious.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse my ignorance but are any of these similar to auto desk sketchbook? It's my favorite drawing app atm

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm currently paying for the Adobe Suite since there was a decent discount at the end of last year, but I just purchased Designer at that price (I already had Photo).

I can easily switch out Photoshop/Illustrator for Photo/Designer, and Premiere I could switch out to DaVinci Resolve. There's no decent alternates to After Effects (that I know of), so I could just pay for a subscription of that instead of going for the full suite again.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. Snagged Affinity Designer just now, the only part I was missing from Serif.

As someone above asked, a good substitute suggestion for Adobe Acrobat would be swell.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
so its either $20 a month for photoshop or $25 one time cost for affinity?
Correct.

And be sure to purchase the software on the Affinity website and not on the Microsoft Store or Mac Store. If you purchase the software on those stores, the licence gets tied to that MS/Apple account.

But if you purchase the software on the Affinity store, you get an installer and serial number. That way you can install in two computers (I have the software installed on my PC and my wife's PC).

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. I've been hesitant repaying for adobe, too pricey to keep as a monthly expense. This will let me do my light-editing, art, and design work that I tend to do outside of work.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting I'll check them out. My license for CC at work is just for 2 concurrent instances, so I can't install it at home. I use Pixelmator for some light editing junk, but it kinda sucks. I don't use Photoshop and Adobe products as much for freelance, most of my clients use something like Sketch + Zepelin for distributing assets and design files.

Assuming these can open PSD files? The only thing I used Pixelmator for these days is opening PSDs. Ah looks like yes it can Ill buy this.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Do they make video editing software?
Resolve 16 is your best bet if you want to get away from Adobe in terms of NLEs. It does take some time to get used to it.
The free version gives you A LOT of features and only some more advanced/pro are in the paid version, and even that is cheap compared to a CC sub.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Correct.

And be sure to purchase the software on the Affinity website and not on the Microsoft Store or Mac Store. If you purchase the software on those stores, the licence gets tied to that MS/Apple account.

Ok, thanks. I bought it through the affinity website and got a product key. I've been wondering how I could manage to get Photoshop lately so this is a simple solution.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Very good. Working with masks is kinda different and it gets some time to get used. Also, I didn't like the fact that you can't see any objects outside of the artboard by default (you need to deactivate that). I usually put objects outside the artboard while I'm arranging stuff.

Other than that, I do not miss Illustrator at all.
I've been waiting for a sale to grab this. I don't dislike Photoshop, but I hate having to subscribe and the Creative Cloud just seems like bloatware that I don't need.

Can you tell me specifically how to have the artboards opened in separate windows within the app? I disabled that in Photoshop but am new to what everything is called in Affinity.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
I get full access to Adobe through work but I'll probably pick these up as I dislike Adobe and the concept of renting software month to month.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I've been waiting for a sale to grab this. I don't dislike Photoshop, but I hate having to subscribe and the Creative Cloud just seems like bloatware that I don't need.

Can you tell me specifically how to have the artboards opened in separate windows within the app? I disabled that in Photoshop but am new to what everything is called in Affinity.
You mean Windows > Float All?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's nice to hear. I've been trialling GIMP to replace Photoshop and that's not going well at all. GIMP is mediocre at best. I'll give these a run, thanks OP, I just wish I could still buy fucking good ol' fireworks standalone and call it a day.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone made a scientific poster either using Affinity Designer or Publisher? I was thinking of getting Photo and one other but not sure which. I want to be able to work on things on my home desktop where I don't have any professional software other than Office 360.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
does this work with drawing tablet? like pressure sensitivity?
The Designer app works on all iPads (separate cost at $10 right now) and when I checked it out quickly on my Pro it seemed to have full Apple Pencil support.

In regards to the OP, think I am going to take the plunge here. Thanks for the heads up.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hmmm maybe its time to ditch photoshop at least at home. i already got designer but i like corel draw more (which i got for cheap with a student discount back then too :p)

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna give their trials a go because this sounds like something good to have when my Adobe CS5 disappears or something.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The Designer app works on all iPads (separate cost at $10 right now) and when I checked it out quickly on my Pro it seemed to have full Apple Pencil support.

In regards to the OP, think I am going to take the plunge here. Thanks for the heads up.
oh. meant like wacom tablets. but theres a button in the program to use pressure. i just need to adjust some stuff but this looks like a good alternative.

Designer looks like an Illustrator alternative.
wonder if its better than inkscape.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
oh. meant like wacom tablets. but theres a button in the program to use pressure. i just need to adjust some stuff but this looks like a good alternative.

Like I said before. No offense to the Inkscape/GIMP devs, but those softwares are kinda amateurish and crappy.

Affinity is a professional software.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I automatically jump to a portable tablet these days when someone says tablet, but I also have a Wacom Tablet. As you already figured out it no doubt has full support for a Wacom in the desktop app. For the price it really cannot be beat as an Illustrator alternative.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Was always on the fence about buying both Photo and Designer for ipad, but might just do it because of the price.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I bought it even though I really have no experience, but I thought it would be fun to learn.