• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Naruto was bigger but Bleach was not bigger than OP in Europe only USA.
It also helps that the majority of people that read One Piece in Japan are adults, as in they have a paying job of some sorts. Naruto and Bleach majority readers are in their teens or younger. That also contributed to the high sales of One Piece in Japan.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and One Piece is generally more popular than Bleach outside of the US. The fandom of One Piece is also growing after both Naruto and Bleach ended.
And that's despite the absence of OP on television ever since it was dropped from Toonami. I'm assuming it's big on streaming services.

I'm guessing depending on how well Oda nails the ending, One Piece will looked upon more favorably than Naruto and Bleach. I know it will be one huge event.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also helps that the majority of people that read One Piece in Japan are adults, as in they have a paying job of some sorts. Naruto and Bleach majority readers are in their teens or younger. That also contributed to the high sales of One Piece in Japan.

Who are the hardcore souls who continue to make HxH a decent seller? Adults as well?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Kubo got bored with his manga and gave up drawing most of it and dragged it on to make more cash.

Oda has to take regular publisher mandated breaks from his series lest he work himself into an early grave.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone buy the whole "Zanpaktou is permanently damged in Bankai" thing was planned

It could very well be but feels like it was made for an excuse to upgrade Renji and ichigo

It made no sense to do this anyway.
It is said that Bankai takes something like 10 years to complete,
use that as an excuse to say that what you showed was incomplete and upgrade accordingly!
We're even told that Ichigo's power wasn't even a bankai AT ALL! It was all coming from YHYHHWWWYHHHY.
Heck the whole cloth covering Ichigo as a manifestation of Ichigo's bankai could have been used as pseudo Blutesomething that the Quincies use!
"Oh but you see the number of thing that is in Renji's bankai was always missing one after one got destroyed in the fight with Byakuya!"
You mean the fight that Ichigo never saw? You mean the bankai that has a shitload number of portions that no one gives a shit if there's a set number or not?

Rukia's bankai is kinda broken.
Too bad it's wasted on a complete nothing of an opponent that was going to be offed by the BS power of the big bad 10 min later.
And on top of that it nearly killed her in the process for no goddamn reason, we were never gonna see her use it another time anyway.
Who are the hardcore souls who continue to make HxH a decent seller? Adults as well?
Everyone reads HxH! Or at least everyone should!

HxH is more than a decent seller .
It's still sells huge numbers per vols last time i check .
Over a million per vol and yeah it most likely adults who buy it now.
Isn't HxH only outsold by OP in per volume basis currently?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the true "big three" as far as the whole world is concerned would be Dragonball, One Piece, and Naruto.

I assuming that a sizable portion of these adults started as kids reading it and grew up along side with it. They also seemed less likely to drop it which I assume what happened with Naruto and Bleach. Though the rest most likely started as adults. This makes it similar to the Simpsons' fanbase.

Now I'm curious about the demographic breakdowns of One Piece readers in other countries.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah even when they both used come out OP used sell more .
Then OP was getting bigger and bigger after the SB arc .
OP is a monster all on it's own that was able break into all age group and genders .

Well to be fair HxH is hurt by the fact its known for its author's constant breaks as I know that turns a lot of people off, same with Berserk, even despite the obvious quality. Not too mention they might have had a long running anime as well but that could have went the way of Naruto or others in terms of being poorly done unlike how Madhouse handled it. That and people generally love what HxH has given us except quibbles about the CA arc.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
To sell over 1 million volumes with all the hiatus just shows how strong the series is. That's in the same tier of the Naruto sales.

HxH was never a pure shounen in my opinion, theres so much fuck up stuff in it that sometimes it looks more like a seinen.
So it makes sense that its demographic is more adult.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know how much the constant breaks impact HxH in quality to be fair.
If we assume the best case scenario for HxH, we would still be with the 1st anime adaptation for the ant arc for example.
Thing is HxH was never that popular in anime, Greed Island and the 2nd part of the York Shin arc were done in OAV after all.
It's no question that without the breaks HxH would be over AoT, OP I have my doubts.
It's a way too cerebral manga to be as popular as OP.
Maybe if it branched out as seinen?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does HunterxHunter move much Merchandise like the others?

21BiCc8AXQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

41vYnJ9mgXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
does HunterxHunter move much Merchandise like the others?
There's barely any merchendize to be begin with!
There's like a few bluray/dvd, some collectibles (mostly Gon & Hisoka from what I've seen) and the only video game appearance are in ensemble Jump games!
Something like 3 games since 2004!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much the constant breaks impact HxH in quality to be fair.
If we assume the best case scenario for HxH, we would still be with the 1st anime adaptation for the ant arc for example.
Thing is HxH was never that popular in anime, Greed Island and the 2nd part of the York Shin arc were done in OAV after all.
It's no question that without the breaks HxH would be over AoT, OP I have my doubts.
It's a way too cerebral manga to be as popular as OP.
Maybe if it branched out as seinen?

OP got so popular in Japan that even Japanese people were wondering why it got so big lol
We all know the Big 3 was a west thing .
But if we talking about Japan it would have been HxH ,Naruto and OP for jump and truth is OP was always in a way it own level.

Also i always thought they would have brought back the bleach anime but i guess they thought it was not worth it since sales were getting lower and lower .

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Everything from Marineford onwards fucking sucks (in One Piece).

I keep reading it weekly because it's the same I did for Naruto and Bleach, but I'm not into One Piece that much, timeskip cemented this for me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The final arc is going to be more massive than Marineford, and Marineford in combination with the Strong World movie pretty much gave One Piece millions of more fans in Japan. I'm expecting the final arc in One Piece to be a big event in manga. It might even allow One Piece to eclipse Superman's comic sales.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
OP got so popular in Japan that even Japanese people were wondering why it got so big lol
But if we talking about Japan it would have been HxH ,Naruto and OP for jump and truth is OP was always in a way it own level.

Also i always thought they would have brought back the bleach anime but i guess they thought it was not worth it since sales were getting lower and lower .
If Bleach improved, they would have revived it.
They stopped it because the ratings were in the gutters and fillers weren't gonna save the anime like they did before.
Fairy Tail was going on the same path but it got "better" so they're animating the last part.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

JoJo seems to have a lot of merch and that manga doesn't sell as well.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter what others feel, that's how I feel.

The last good arc in One Piece for me was Zou. WCI is just ok and is making Sanji look like a fucking joke, I thought that nosebleeds would be the worst thing to happen to him.

I actually don't care about his family or his mother. Katakuri is the only thing that's making me appreciate this arc at all.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Does bleach still get regular merch or games stuff now ?
Older shows like FOTNS and Jo Jo get stuff because companies think the older fan base will buy stuff.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't, but you've already stated you're mainly into OP for the fights, so not much else I can say lol

Personally, while they're an obvious highlight, they're not the best thing about One Piece.
They were, until Impel Down/Marineford. Then it went downhill.

Will keep reading just to say that I've finished though.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the first 40-50 of One Piece a few years ago and dug it a little. Not much. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Luffy since I expected him to be terrible simply based on commercials and his character design. He was actually pretty great. So I think after reading this thread I'm going to jump back in. Are there filler arcs I can just skip over?

Also, I'm amused at everyone dogging on various One Piece/Bleach/Naruto designs when the dumbest one is right in front of everyone's faces:

One-Piece-Zoro-Eye.png

The dude holds a sword...in his mouth....

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 40-50 of One Piece a few years ago and dug it a little. Not much. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Luffy since I expected him to be terrible simply based on commercials and his character design. He was actually pretty great. So I think after reading this thread I'm going to jump back in. Are there filler arcs I can just skip over?

Also, I'm amused at everyone dogging on various One Piece/Bleach/Naruto designs when the dumbest one is right in front of everyone's faces:

One-Piece-Zoro-Eye.png

I mean there are ninja that hold shit in their mouth they shouldn't be holding in their mouth either in Naruto, lol. Zoro is badass.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

One-Piece-Zoro-Eye.png

I'd strongly ecommend that you read the manga instead. Much faster, easy to follow, get to experience the cover stories (basically brief side stories that happen outside the main narrative), and most importantly, no filler.

As for Zoro, yea in reality, holding a sword in your mouth is not practical. But that's the joy of One Piece; it doesn't give a fuck. And that's all for the better, as it immediately makes Zoro standout as a swordsman. Also he's one of the coolest characters in the series by far anyhow. It doesn't take very long for him to sell you on him using three swords and looking like a badass while doing it.

That said, it doesn't matter anyway, as Naruto can't say shit:

latest

Ironically, this character is also pretty cool, though he most definitely looks much more ridiculous than Zoro does.

I also recall Bleach having a number of swords that looked very strange as well.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

One-Piece-Zoro-Eye.png

I mean there are ninja that hold shit in their mouth they shouldn't be holding in their mouth either in Naruto, lol. Zoro is badass.

Do you know how Zolo is able to talk clearly with a sword in his mouth

Oda: HIS HEART

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing that came out of Bleach was Aizen. There's no reason why he didn't remain the final boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.