• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone posted this but this Arkham Origins' menu caught me off guard when I first played it. I was like damn, gettin pumped to be Batman. Plus the little Xmas notes fit really well.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France

Look at this beast.
Then look at it again.
It's 2000. You've just played Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. You think you know everything there is to know about Pokémon. You caught them all. You even tried to look under the truck. We all did. We all failed. And yet, the Pokémon world is empty of secrets now.

But wait.

Gold and Silver? 100 new Pokémon? New places? That's impossible, you think, you KNOW everything there is to know, you think.

And you know what encapsulate this "Shit, I thought I had completed the whole journey but turned out I had barely started? What is this new adventure awaiting for me, I can't wait !" ? This title screen. You don't see the legendary, you see its silhouette. It's fleeting. It a shadow. It's most definitely a monster. And you're going to get it. Forget the creatures slidshow from the previous game, now there's a HUGE BIRD ahead of you.

This monster won't wait for you.

Go get it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fyyyyyck inject those raw waveforms into my ear canals. That's good shit. The bass that thing is capable of is immense.
The SID is my all-time favorite soundchip for sure. Like you said, it could reproduce awesome bass-like sounds for its time, among other things. Such a versatile little chip!

The triangle wave on the NES sounds so tinny in comparison to what the C64 could output.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

Look at this beast.
Then look at it again.
It's 2000. You've just played Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. You think you know everything there is to know about Pokémon. You caught them all. You even tried to look under the truck. We all did. We all failed. And yet, the Pokémon world is empty of secrets now.

But wait.

Gold and Silver? 100 new Pokémon? New places? That's impossible, you think, you KNOW everything there is to know, you think.

And you know what encapsulate this "Shit, I thought I had completed the whole journey but turned out I had barely started? What is this new adventure awaiting for me, I can't wait !" ? This title screen. You don't see the legendary, you see its silhouette. It's fleeting. It a shadow. It's most definitely a monster. And you're going to get it. Forget the creatures slidshow from the previous game, now there's a HUGE BIRD ahead of you.

This monster won't wait for you.

Go get it.

So hype.

This one is just plain iconic:

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It should be indisputable that these three are the finest examples of achievement in the field of video game title themes that "slap:"

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't seen this in here yet. Though it's not really the music... so...

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The SID is my all-time favorite soundchip for sure. Like you said, it could reproduce awesome bass-like sounds for its time, among other things. Such a versatile little chip!

The triangle wave on the NES sounds so tinny in comparison to what the C64 could output.
Holy shit what kind of sorcery is that? Those Martin Galway tracks are mammoth with the filtering, LFO, bass and everything going on. 1:05 in Terra Cresta and 1:00 in the Wizball theme...goddamn!

The difference between the Panther theme on Atari 8-bit and C64 is impressive; the Atari has it's own character but the SID is just MASSIVE. We had an Atari800XL in the house growing up but I haven't heard any of this C64 stuff before so I'm excited I've got a lot of listening to do.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit what kind of sorcery is that? Those Martin Galway tracks are mammoth with the filtering, LFO, bass and everything going on. 1:05 in Terra Cresta and 1:00 in the Wizball theme...goddamn!

The difference between the Panther theme on Atari 8-bit and C64 is impressive; the Atari has it's own character but the SID is just MASSIVE. We had an Atari800XL in the house growing up but I haven't heard any of this C64 stuff before so I'm excited I've got a lot of listening to do.
The real sorcery is how C64 composers figured how to create an additional channel AND feed samples into it by taking advantage of a bug in the volume register.

And if you want more of Martin Galway going crazy on the filters (wait for it):

And another proper C64 anthem:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone shared the Pac-man CE DX menu music yet becasue that is and always be the most slap for your buck menu ever.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was about to be legit upset if this didn't make it on the first page. Just in the nick of time. All time GOAT themes.

I seem to remember a game where the title screen would transition almost seamlessly into the game but I forget what it was.

I'm also a big fan of the title screen changing depending on where you are in the game. I also can't seem to recall which games did this.