• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Title screens are something we tend to overlook, and that's understandable, as their existence in a game is the equivalent of a door we want to get through as quickly as possible. Typically, they're just the game's logo accompanied by a 3D environment or 2D artwork (which may still be beautiful, but there's not much to those). But every now and then, a developer will more effort into the title screen than what is typically seen, and the end result can leave a lasting impression on the player.

Title Screens are something I haven't been thinking of much until this year, but once I started to, there's one game that came to my mind immediately: Knights in the Nightmare for the DS and PSP. The cinematography, artwork, and sound come together to create a brief but impactful 20 second sequence that embodies the sad, depressing, and tragic mood of the game. This cult classic is one of those games I'll never forget, and the title screen stands out in my head just as much its interesting mechanics and heights of its story. It's concluded with an awkwardly paced reading of the game's name, the tone in a strange limbo between hopeful and despairing. Later on, you'll discover that the voice belongs to the main character of the game, and it's so fitting.

KxKXvuh.png

(PSP) Title screen for Knights in the Nightmare

In case you don't think I'm crazy already, just wait. One of the best title screens ever created belongs to a game I played this year: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS). I was blown away by this title screen the first time I saw it. Rather than skip it during subsequent play sessions, I watched it to completion each time I started the game up. Not only that, but sometimes I visited the DLC menu or soft reset the game just so I can see it again. This title screen is perfect and does an amazing job of telling the players a story before they start the game. It's so good that I wish they didn't have the opening movie that takes from the game's CGI cutscenes. There are 4 parts to this "story", and I labeled it below. If you haven't played the game, you can watch it here: https://youtu.be/TmDGdnSceT0?t=138.

YUyCjVV.png

(3DS) Order of events in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia's title screen

The first part begins by showing us the setting of the story, and the origin point of the story of Shadows of Valentia. We see a field of flowers surrounded by trees. The flowers are arranged haphazardly and there's no evidence of the site being contained within a castle's walls, as we see it stretch on into endless forest. This leads the viewer to believe the scene is located in the countryside, somewhere close to nature. Even though this part doesn't last more than 3 seconds, it establishes the setting of the scene instantly, and immediately transitions us to the second part.

The second part introduces us to the hero and heroine of the story, Alm and Celica, though as children. Although Celica's face is obscured, we can easily tell it is her from the box art and preceding opening animation. The decision to make Alm's face visible and Celica's not could be considered foreshadowing in a way, as the story begins with Alm's perspective on the events, giving Celica an air of mystery, and forces us to question who she is and what happened to her. Alm and Celica are running through the field of flowers, though they stay positioned in the lower half of the screen as the camera follows them. They're simply engaging in what children enjoy doing, play.

The third part shows Alm extending his hand for Celica to grab, and the two disappear as the camera continues to move through the field, leading us to the fourth part. The ending leaves us wondering about the whereabouts of the two children we saw only briefly. Although we know the long-term answers to this question once we begin the story, the sequence is created in a way that manipulates our mind into asking them. The mystery of Alm and Celica, who disappear before we can even see them completely grasp the other's hand, is the focus of the story of Shadows of Valentia, and this title screen shows that perfectly. What's made even better is that once the players see the story to its end, the child versions of Alm and Celica are replaced by their adult selves: the perfect conclusion to this story.

But this sequence does not solely excel in a visual aspect, it does so in an auditory one as well. Within a second of the song playing we hear the repetition of a drum. These beats sound muffled, as if they were being played many miles away from Alm and Celica. The delicate and sad sounding vocals that accompany the instruments feel like an auditory representation of Alm, Celica, and the other village children, who are overwhelmed and swept up in a massive war that encompasses the entire continent they live on.

Also, just this year, I noticed that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, bypass title screens completely on the first time starting up (Super Mario Odyssey only has an initial screen that asks you to choose between playing the game normally or in Assist Mode). I think this is a really interesting decision because it allows the game to set its initial mood through the player's first interactions rather than just a passive showcase of visuals. The title of the game doesn't appear until the player clears the opening environment (which really just amounts to walking forward in these 2 games), and the end result is something I find pretty memorable. Rather than being the first thing you see and giving you some level of expectations, it reveals itself after the first "wow" moment of the game. Your expectations are met/answered by the game itself.

So what about you, ResetEra? I'm interested in hearing about your favorite title screens, or those opening moments of gameplay that function as one.

Edit: If you're struggling to find something, or just want to see a breadth of title screens, check out our very own U2NUMB's YouTube channel!
A thread near and dear to my heart.. I have for the last 5 years been uploading game title screens to a youtube channel. I have never gained a penny off this site and have only done it for the love. I am zeroing in on 2000 title screens uploaded.. you can find the channel at

http://pressstartonce.com

Always looking for feedback / help or anything to make it better.. again I do it in my spare time to preserve title screens..

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CBUWso6UkAAwp_p.jpg

The demons are watching...

Can't really see it well in this picture, but it's a bunch of eyes and the silhouettes of the demons from the game.

Possibly my favorite title screen ever, sets the foreboding atmosphere perfectly. Lets you know right off the bat that the demons are standing against you, and you have a hell of a journey ahead of you. You have to conquer all of those demons, even the ones within yourself - thus, the protagonist, the Demi-Fiend, is facing you as well.

Great write-up by the way, OP.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears of war 1 title screen and music, no idea why but it used to just get me revved up lol

Papasmurff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The title screen for Pikmin 2 has all kinds of Easter eggs. You can tell that game was a labor of love top to bottom and it starts with the title.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Octopath Traveler demo title screen. I love that it shows different characters in different environments.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
I found it to be a shitty game but the start/title screen of Everybody's gone to the rapture really stands out for me:

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can we beat Metroid Prime today?

I didn't think so.

The 50s sci-fi tinges included here really make it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono trigger always stood out to me. Also xenoblade. Just beautiful to sit there and watch on dolphin

OP
OP

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to apologize in advance for not replying to everyone! Even if I don't reply to your post, I'm still listening to the music posted or looking for the screen itself on YouTube/Google! Thanks for taking the time to post in this topic and share your favorite title screens with me.

Yeah, that's a great one, alright. The music is so calming and I love the silhouettes. Persona 5's is nice too.

The demons are watching...

Can't really see it well in this picture, but it's a bunch of eyes and the silhouettes of the demons from the game.

Possibly my favorite title screen ever, sets the foreboding atmosphere perfectly. Lets you know right off the bat that the demons are standing against you, and you have a hell of a journey ahead of you. You have to conquer all of those demons, even the ones within yourself - thus, the protagonist, the Demi-Fiend, is facing you as well.

Great write-up by the way, OP.

I was introduced to non-Persona SMT with the DS, so I missed out on this game, but that's an awesome title screen. It reminds me of the reveal for Shin Megami Tensei V, people who saw that and loved Nocturne must have felt a massive nostalgia rush.

And thanks!

Recently, Echo's title screen has really blown me away.
(I don't have any gif of it, can be seen at the beginning of https://youtu.be/Uwqrp2z3wZo for example)

That's so cool. I had never heard of this game until now, I'm interested. I love how the UI feels like a part of the scene depicted rather than just an overlay.

Demon's Crest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvjV_TMYLU
The animation, the music, everything is just absolutely outstanding about this, even today.
That's great. I wasn't gaming during that generation, but I can only imagine how players would react. I'm sure the graphics were state of the art at their time, and even today, the combination of visuals and music really makes it feel menacing and evil.

I get goosebumps every time I hear the music.
I'm sure Ocarina of Time's is memorable to so many people for a variety of reasons. Its title screen was probably the introduction to 3D gaming for many people.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Journey-Screenshot-Wallpaper-Title-Screen.jpg

Journey

I'm a big fan of wordless "title" screens, or games that go directly into a main menu without even stating the title of the game first. Or games that completely avoid having anything like that at all and just drop the player directly into the game (at least on first bootup). Not really sure why, I just like the minimalism of it really. I suppose it's a trend you see in other media nowadays - films commonly delay the title screen until the end of the first scene, or even until the very end of the movie. Many music artists avoid having any text on the cover art of albums at all (especially independent ones).

Journey is a nice example, start up the game and you're greeted with a nicely composed view of the area near the start of the game, with only the words "New Journey" on screen.

Press start and the game just begins right there. The actual "title screen" of the game happens about a minute later after you climb over the hill that was featured before, revealing the mountain your character must travel to:
journey1-8-1.jpg

PandoraDesuKa

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Well, Xenoblade is my favourite!
I have to talk about the BOTW title screen: C'mon! All the others Zeldas have a nice title screen with a good music, and BOTW looks more a Power Point presentation than anything

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
I think Bravely Default's changing when you get to a certain point in the game was brilliant.
(End game spoilers)

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Mass Effect until post-ME3 because my brother recommended it to me because I loved Jade Empire. Played it, liked it alot, and then found out one of my friends played it and burrowed ME2 from him. Started the game and saw this:

422810-mass-effect-2-windows-screenshot-title-screen.jpg

I remember finding this whole atmosphere highkey creepy and the music only elevated that. I had no idea what was going on because I didn't watch or look up anything to know what to expect for ME2. This title screen alone immediately got me excited for what would become one of my favorite games of all time.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
That's great. I wasn't gaming during that generation, but I can only imagine how players would react. I'm sure the graphics were state of the art at their time, and even today, the combination of visuals and music really makes it feel menacing and evil.

I myself have never seen it back in those days (not even the cartridge, must've been rare even back then).
I can only imagine what it would've looked like in a dark room on the glowing CRT, watching it as a child.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5
glrsb59btakx.gif

It lets you know what the game is about immediately (style and a band of rogues) and gets you in the right head-space with the funky OST.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid.

Edit: Found a better video of it.

I both like this and dislike this. It's cool how it shows the Metroid encased to make the moment when you come across this in game and the Metroid has been stolen really cool, but why are the scientists dead in the title screen, surely Ridley hasn't attacked yet if the Metroid hasn't been stolen.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Warioware, Inc.: Mega Party Game$! for the Gamecube
The title itself is kindo of bland and straightforward. But idling on the screen triggers a whole bunch of quirky and charming little animations and sounds that fit the feel of the game perfectly.

edit: the video covers the different intros, i couldn't find a collection of all the idle animations.
you see some more in the beginning of this lets play https://youtu.be/gPj5yGSWbTw?t=52s

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger.
The ticking, the soft piano and the string instruments come together to let you know you're in for an incredible experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna get flack for this, buuuuuut:

Sonic_2006_title_screen.png

The color palette used, the flora, and the eagle flying in the background with the intro to "His World" in the background.

I don't think the game is bad, a solid 7 for me, but man if the rest of the game matched the aesthetic presentation of the game it'd be a 9 for me.