• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Workers at the TK Maxx outlet in Arklow are to stage a one-day strike next Saturday in a dispute over pay, hours and rosters.

The trade union Mandate said the company had "reluctantly gave a small pay increase" and even "bought two goldfish" as a "peace offering" but members wanted a permanent solution to problems.

Mr Meegan said that "in an effort to prevent the workers from obtaining lasting change in TK Maxx, the company reluctantly gave a small pay increase, began issuing two week rosters and gave some workers 20 hour contracts".

"Remarkably, the company even bought two goldfish for the Arklow store as a peace offering or inducement not to partake in trade union activities."

TK Maxx declined to comment.

Sounds like an amazing deal if I do say so myself!!

Source: Irish Times

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only there were a way for workers to unite and form some kind of guild, then use that strength to bargain... collectively

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
It's called TK Maxx in Ireland? I thought it was TJ Maxx.
It's TK Maxx in the UK and Ireland. A quick google search tells me that it's due to there being a store here called T. J. Hughes and I guess they didn't want to get the two confused. As a result, they decided to change the J to a K.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's TK Maxx in England as well, but wtf. Who would want 2 goldfish when you're trying to fix your working conditions. This is some kind of joke right?

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Holy shit this is weird to read on here. This is in my town. Considering its a small town in Ireland, its pretty odd to see it being mentioned here on Era

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a strange read this thread has been between discovering "TK" Maxx and the fucking goldfish that are the focus to begin with

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit this is weird to read on here. This is in my town. Considering its a small town in Ireland, its pretty odd to see it being mentioned here on Era
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif