• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's like some people are expecting a totally different game as a sequel. They should go and look for other games maybe. Loving what I've seen so far. Looks like Last of Us 2.5 :P

Glad to see Vita is still well and alive in this alternate reality. too bad for the owner tho lol

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I uploaded a Youtube 4K video if anyone needs it. It's still compressed, but someone might want to download it for themselves. Don't know if someone has already posted this.

Thanks for this.. YouTube defaults to 1080p for me, even though my monitor can display more that that, looks way better that the live broadcast, so playing it should look amazing on my tv with HDR

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's like some people are expecting a totally different game as a sequel. They should go and look for other games maybe. Loving what I've seen so far. Looks like Last of Us 2.5 :P

Glad to see Vita is still well and alive in this alternate reality. too bad for the owner tho lol

Maybe they are expecting TLoU Kart or something.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see a RDR2 vs TLoU 2 screenshot comparison thread a few weeks after the game releases.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Have to admit I didn't watch it because i'm avoiding spoilers and thumbnails like the plague but it's so tempting to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
The facial animation on the NPC's is just incredible. They make multiple different expressions while in combat with Ellie. Something I've never seen in a video game before.

Example:
For the first image, I meant to type "Preparing for incoming attack from Ellie."
n6utNoZ.png

nwCCf2D.png

vOFfugN.png

d5uGkgp.png

t4MaRDe.png

L5EX77c.png

1XFtq4C.png

pnycMgH.png

Really incredible work from the animation team.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
This will be the best looking game of this gen, hands down. Naughty Dog are truly masters of their craft.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Looks brutal and intense, just the way it should as the story directs the gameplay. Looking forward to play this and hopefully the base ps4 version will hold up well cause I wont be able to hold out until a probably ps5 version of the game will hit.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of curious why anyone would consider this game if they're triggered by violence. The first game was brutal, it featured probably the most realistic depiction of visceral violence last gen.

For me is issue of perception. In first game violence was your last resort and you were running from it for the most part in hope to survive. In Part 2 you are actively hunting people because Elie wants revenge, so it doesn't make you any better than those bad guys. And take for example that gameplay part they showed, Elie basically goes on murder spree without any reason except that ND wrote it that way.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Oh wow, re-watching the SOP again and I just noticed that the WLF members also have a coil of rope. Wonder if enemies use them as well or they're just there for Ellie to steal.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
For me is issue of perception. In first game violence was your last resort and you were running from it for the most part in hope to survive. In Part 2 you are actively hunting people because Elie wants revenge, so it doesn't make you any better than those bad guys. And take for example that gameplay part they showed, Elie basically goes on murder spree without any reason except that ND wrote it that way.
That's the story they are telling and while that may be controversial it doesn't mean it isn't valid. It's up to them what they want to do and what journey they want to take the player on. If you strongly dislike it then you don't need to buy it of course. And at the end of TLOU don't they do something similar, you have to make a difficult choice and then live with it. This is what a world like this would be like. You'd have friends and members from your area and then everyone else, and in a world of limited resources and survival being king ultimately good people are pitted against other good people. It's definitely far more interesting to be a part of than the standard "you are the infinitely good guy against discernibly evil foes" like most other bog standard media.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the gameplay from the first game, one thing I think everybody will miss are the little chats, ponderings, and quips between Ellie and Joel... since it doesn't look like we'll have a companion for a large part of the game this time around.

The SoP showed multiple companions and Druckman said so.

There were at least 3 in the gameplay

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really wish this was a launch PS5 game/cross platform. PS5 is just around the corner and Id think theyd prioritize having this game day 1. But I just cant risk the post launch.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That's the story they are telling and while that may be controversial it doesn't mean it isn't valid. It's up to them what they want to do and what journey they want to take the player on. If you strongly dislike it then you don't need to buy it of course. And at the end of TLOU don't they do something similar, you have to make a difficult choice and then live with it. This is what a world like this would be like. You'd have friends and members from your area and then everyone else, and in a world of limited resources and survival being king ultimately good people are pitted against other good people. It's definitely far more interesting to be a part of than the standard "you are the infinitely good guy against discernibly evil foes" like most other bog standard media.

I respect ND right to do what they want to do inamnjust commenting how I feel about sequel. First one is one of my favorite games out there. And regarding the in-game world state. Would world really be line that? Would everything really be run by violent factions?

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The facial animation on the NPC's is just incredible. They make multiple different expressions while in combat with Ellie. Something I've never seen in a video game before.

Example:
For the first image, I meant to type "Preparing for incoming attack from Ellie."
n6utNoZ.png

nwCCf2D.png

vOFfugN.png

d5uGkgp.png

t4MaRDe.png

L5EX77c.png

1XFtq4C.png

pnycMgH.png

This is next level shit.. ND are defining the gaming industry once again.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't found anything shown from this game particularly inspiring. Kills looks pretty brutal and I like the added facial animations etc, but a lot of the voice work seems to be the same "I heard a sound over here, better go investigate" stuff we've been hearing since Splinter Cell (or maybe even earlier). It feels more gamey than I was hoping.

Between that, your sensory super mode, and the environments looking pretty familiar I'm just not very excited.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I can not get excited about this game.

I played The Last of Us on PS3 and PS4. I liked the game play a lot. The stealth, the crafting, the wobble during shooting, graphics, and the overall story. Everything is pieced together so nicely.

This is the first video I actually sit down to watch The Last of Us Part II, and what a disappointment. I can't get excited about the game.

It is more of the same with prettier graphics.

I have a huge problem with this, because is not like they needed to refine any loose ends from the game play loops from the first game. They need to add new elements.

For example, Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal, I think added the hook and air dash to give more options and I think it made a great impact on game play.

Having said that are there new elements on the game that I missed from other previous videos?

One of the surprises is that Ellie has a jet pack. The other surprise is Joel has linked up with commander Shepard and you get 3 hours of gameplay in space and get to witness the birth of savage starlight as a mass effect spin off. This gameplay segment features zero gravity FPS combat and depending on your upgrade choices you can use a slowva bomb AoE attack like warlocks in Destiny 2.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found anything shown from this game particularly inspiring. Kills looks pretty brutal and I like the added facial animations etc, but a lot of the voice work seems to be the same "I heard a sound over here, better go investigate" stuff we've been hearing since Splinter Cell (or maybe even earlier). It feels more gamey than I was hoping.

Between that, your sensory super mode, and the environments looking pretty familiar I'm just not very excited.

Yeah, that's my feeling. I've seen this kind of stuff a million times already. Sure, it looks phenomenal, but it's time to try something new

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
This is the game I need right now, I'm trying to fill the void with other games and I'm not engaging. I had to replay the uncharted games because they are so playable and fun but now I have lost legacy left and then nothing, I'll need movies or something.

The 19th can't get here soon enough, hopefully it can give ff7 a run for its goty money

same same same. Everything is boring I tried playing remaster it mitigates it a bit but yeah

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
It's like some people are expecting a totally different game as a sequel. They should go and look for other games maybe. [/ispoiler]
Right! As I mentioned in an earlier post, they can't change the core mechanics just for the sake of it! I personally am really excited to get my hands on this. My special edition preorder stands😁

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I thought the gameplay looked incredible. Animations are top notch. Killing human enemies seems even more disturbing in this one. That really stuck out to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much haven't seen any gameplay vids even including the stuff from the previews last year, but lawd this one is tempting me. Is it relatively spoiler free?

Ph8lanx

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Side of the Moon
I highly recommend waiting for reviews before you make your purchase. This is coming from someone who picked this game as my most excited to play this year. I was accidentally spoiled and was really upset about it, but also canceled my pre-order of a collectors edition. I will too be waiting for player reviews before I make the decision to play the game.

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

- The animation in that encounter to me look like boss fights of previous Uncharted games. One thing I believe is no interaction will feel pedestrian. Especially on harder difficulty, that's an innovation making almost every fight dangerous kinda like Souls games In a way

- The sound is pretty incredible and high quality in all aspects, listen with headphones

- facial animations are next level as you mentioned it's hard to do

- listen mode is usually reserved for easier difficulties, imagine the AI with it off. Dogs basically make it so you have a timer on how long you can be hidden. Enemies will see you even in grass if you are too close. You climb, break windows, and make your own hiding spaces. Maybe something like Deus Ex accomplishes this and Metal Gear/Splinter Cell games, but it's all rolled up into the same game here.

TLOU2 like the first will probably be most impressive because it's doing a variety of things so well. It's not going to raise the bar in one area like combat, or shooting mechanics or sound or animation (might have with this one) but produce a game that hits all of these at extremely high levels. That's pretty rare for just about any game on the market.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's funny DOOM Eternal was brought up, because I actually feel like based off what I saw of TLoU2's gameplay, the first game that came to mind of a sequel having a similar 'scope' of sequel update like TLOU2 was DOOM Eternal.

Both are games rooted in the same core play, but with added mechanics relating to verticality, movement, level-design, enemy tweaks that require more thought and consideration on how you engage them, that expands the core of the original.

The difference being that, DOOM is a frantic FPS built on a core loop of high mobility slaughterhouse within an enclosed combat puzzle while TLOU2 is about a high tension, slow paced intense stealth action adventure within an enclosed encounter puzzle.

Ph8lanx

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Side of the Moon

This is absolutely not whats controversial.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I highly recommend waiting for reviews before you ,all your purchase. This is coming from someone who picked this game as my most excited to play this year. I was accidentally spoiled and was really upset about it, but also canceled my pre-order of a collectors edition. I will too be waiting for player reviews before I make the decision to play the game.
I've been spoiled some, feel completely opposite. Spoilers are out of context in a 30 hour game. I think critics and fans are going to love this game to death. Half of what I read was coming 100% from a place of male insecurity and entitlement.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I chalk it up to Ghost of Tsushima being an unknown, therefore people were more interested in getting a first look. We know to some degree what to expect with the Last of Us Part II.

Still, I imagine there's a lot of noise in the data given rampant spoilers and leaks (and people trying to avoid them) so I'm sure the Last of Us Part II is gonna ultimately perform very much in the tier of where God of War and Spidey did if not more.
I think that's a really spot on assessment, honestly.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I highly recommend waiting for reviews before you ,all your purchase. This is coming from someone who picked this game as my most excited to play this year. I was accidentally spoiled and was really upset about it, but also canceled my pre-order of a collectors edition. I will too be waiting for player reviews before I make the decision to play the game.

I don't get what your post is about. Why would we cancel our preorders because you got spoiled?

Embargo is a week before launch so if anyone's purchase is contingent on that we will know way ahead of time.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018

Example:
n6utNoZ.png

nwCCf2D.png

vOFfugN.png

d5uGkgp.png

t4MaRDe.png

L5EX77c.png

1XFtq4C.png

pnycMgH.png

We're actually not worthy of this game