• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 7, 2020

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Well-deserved, fantastic game. I attended the midnight opening at Webhallen in Stockholm, and it was quite crazy to say the least.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
And it broke Sony record launch in Russia, Czech Republic and Slovakia (+UK)

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Yep I got the physical as well. Was cheaper and I was able to show it to a friend on his PS4 Pro with 4K 65'' HDR TV and they were impressed by how damn good this game looks.

My stance on digital would change a lot if the games were 59,99€ instead of 69,99€ on PSN.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
how many copies this game need to sell to brake even?
isnt cheaper get it from uk
If we assume 3M physical copies sold + 1M digital copies so far
It would give 3M x $40 (Sony gross margin per physical copy) + 1M x $55 (I subtract transaction fees) = 120M + 55M = $175M

It probably broke even already

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the question is how many lego games got traded in at gamestop xD. so great getting new games below 40€

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally everyone I know who owns a PS4 bought this game. Even the Die Hard GTA/FIFA/COD-only crowd. It's huge.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't marketing like plus 100% cost to the hole budget? So like what 300, 400 mil cost for sony?
No horizon was 45 million dollars . This is probably 100 million plus another 100 so in total 200 and we are pushing it. Big sony games are usually around 50 million dollars but to be safe I doubled it for ND

HStallion yea you are correct imo and here I explained why I chose the highest upper limit.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't marketing like plus 100% cost to the hole budget? So like what 300, 400 mil cost for sony?

no way it was that expensive

4-3 years in development (pre production phase during Lost Legacy + full production) with a studio size of 200-350 people i would say the budget for this game was around 70-80 mil + Marketing probably around 150 mil

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
There's 0 chance that game cost anywhere near 300-400 million. The game at worst should cost around 200 million including marketing and even that is on the extreme end of high-end AAA developement.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Everyone (over 18 ) should play it. You know, it really is the next "step" for videogames imo. And I haven't even finished it yet.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

It's not always 100% the cost, sometimes it's 50% or even lower.

TLOU 2 is most likely around 100-200m, i'd say 150m-180m including marketing budget.

>300m is Red Dead Redemption 2.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the biggest exclusive launch of the generation ? Either way - congrats Naughty Dog well deserved.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I think our best lead regarding budget is Shawn Layden, who just said that the typical AAA budget is now between $80m and $150m.
No idea though, if he included marketing.

The sheer unlimited budget ND seems to have (including outsourcing to support studios) makes me think it's around $150m.

Even if this is without Marketing, ND should break even between now and end of this week.

If we assume 3M physical copies sold + 1M digital copies so far

It would give 3M x $40 (Sony gross margin per physical copy) + 1M x $55 (I subtract transaction fees) = 120M + 55M = $175M

It probably broke even already

And that's not even taking into account all those more expensive Deluxs/Special-, Collectors- and Ellie-Editions.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
REAL GAMERS: "Nooooooo you can't just sell milions of copies of this SJW game!!!!1!!!11!!11" BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT
Neil: "haha money printer goes brrrrr"

edit: i'm obviously joking nor making light of the drama btw

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No horizon was 45 million dollars . This is probably 100 million plus another 100 so in total 200 and we are pushing it. Big sony games are usually around 50 million dollars but to be safe I doubled it for ND

HStallion yea you are correct imo and here I explained why I chose the highest upper limit.
Where are you getting these numbers from lol? Games don't cost that much yet. Maybe something like RDR2 but they had 4x the amount of people working on it compared to ND.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oA30O1R.gif

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that we can say what's stated in the title. The article just says that it was the best-selling week of 2020 and not that TLoU2 had the biggest launch in Germany.
Don't get me wrong it is quite possible that it had the biggest physical launch in Germany but it's not obvious from the article since it considers all games sold during that week.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The asshats are already moving the goalpost. Now it's the most refunded game in history that can't be refunded because of covid. (There's one picture of a store displaying a non-refund message in front of tlou2 covers + the low rating on an asian psn-store)

Great to see the game doing good. Can't wait for Part 3. Neil will have a field day with the trolls.

OP
OP
cantbebothered
May 7, 2020
REAL GAMERS: "Nooooooo you can't just sell milions of copies of this SJW game!!!!1!!!11!!11" BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT
Neil: "haha money printer goes brrrrr"

edit: i'm obviously joking nor making light of the drama btw
''but i just want to play games to get away from the real world politics''

my favorite sentence.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a source for these other territories? Thanks in advance!
A quick summary about Russia
The Last of Us Part II launch in Russia was the biggest launch ever for PS3 and PS4 games. Previous record belongs to GTA V on PS3 in 2013.

The game sold 2x better than Death Stranding (biggest PS4 exclusive launch ever here) and 7x more than TLOU for PS3.

Source (Google Translate required of course)

ru.ign.com

Video Game News, Reviews, and Walkthroughs - IGN

IGN is your #1 destination for all video game news, expert reviews, and walkthroughs.

Dunno if the separate thread is needed but if anyone wants to - then feel free to create it!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Sony's first party games usually don't cost that much to make.

We litterally have Shawn Layden saying that games cost around 80-150m nowadays, there's nothing that can proof that an AAA game made by Sony does not cost this much.
I don't believe for a second that God of War which was developed by over 300 people at Santa Monica + outsourcing for 4 years didn't cost too much when you also factor marketing budget.

Hell, God of War III back in 2010 costed $44 million and only 132 people worked on it, now compare GoW with 3x the size, more time and more content.

"The problem with that model is it's just not sustainable," he said, explaining that the current generation has seen the cost of development reach between $80 million and $150 million for most AAA games -- excluding marketing costs -- with production taking up to five years from start to finish.

This is what Shawn Layden said and he was the one greenlightig games at Sony.

Where are you getting these numbers from lol? Games don't cost that much yet. Maybe something like RDR2 but they had 4x the amount of people working on it compared to ND.

AAA games cost this much for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's on the higher end of AAA budgets, and it probably is given how lavish of an epic it is, it will probably sell around 20 million copies and be massively profitable.