• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
www.ign.com

The Last of Us: Part 3 Has a Plot, But It's Not Being Made... Yet - IGN

Naughty Dog has written a story outline for The Last of Us: Part 3, but it isn't making the sequel right now.
"Naughty Dog has written a story outline for The Last of Us: Part 3, but isn't making the sequel right now. Creative director Neil Druckmann says he hopes it can "one day see the light of day.

Speaking on an episode of the Script Apart podcast about the writing of The Last of Us Part 2, Druckmann touched briefly on the possibility of a sequel:

"'I don't know how much I want to reveal... [co-writer Halley Gross] and I did write an outline for a story, that we're not making – but I hope one day can see the light of day – that explores a little bit what happens after this game. We'll see.'"

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
At least it sounds like it isn't their next game. I want to see Naughty Dog hopefully do a new ip first before returning to TLOU. Though plenty of outlines get wrote that never happen so who knows.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
What ever new ND releases next is probably what makes me buy a PS5, i think the supply will be better then too

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like TLoU PArt 3 isn't the next game for Naughty Dog.

Good. I rather see them create something new first. In the very least the should be able to take a break from such a dark universe for a game or two.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As was the case with part 1 and 2, I assume this is going to be the last first party title for PS5. So we're going to wait a long time for this one, but knowing ND and their late-gen releases, it will probably blow everyone's mind.
I hope they're not gonna release a part 1 remake in between, but instead some new IP.

Oct 28, 2017
Inevitable we'll see it at some point. Can't wait. TLOU II was incredible, Naughty Dog and Druckmann are next level.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In a just world they're not working on it now because they're busy with their new SciFi IP.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I swear if any asshole spoils this one for everyone (and especially me before I get to play it) I'll hunt them down and give them the sternest talking to they've ever received ... and a noogie!

Day fucking 0 for TLOU3 when it drops. Until then looks like we're getting a new IP from Naughty Dog along with the other projects they're working on :)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
sounds like something that we wont hear about for a long while.
I think they'll try to get the remake and the factions out there this year and then transition to the new IP as that will leave pre production soon.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, things get comically fucked up every corner, but at least it's pretty?

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure it needs a direct sequel but if it's going to then it should be Abby and Lev.

Their characters are intrinsically linked to that of Joel and Ellie and it would be nice to see an inverse companionship story that didn't end in death and revenge.

If Ellie's involved I hope it's light-touch.

merchantdude

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, like the previous TLoU games this is going to be the console's swan song game. And I'm perfectly fine with this as long as we also get a new IP from ND this gen.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm fine with it being the PS5 end of gen game.

I just hope that whatever they're making next isn't another Uncharted. Do a new IP please.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, like the previous TLoU games this is going to be the console's swan song game. And I'm perfectly fine with this as long as we also get a new IP from ND this gen.

What I imagine ND's output this gen will be:

New IP + TLOU P1 Remake + P2 Remaster/Factions then end the gen on TLOU P3 as the big: "End of Trilogy/Series" game and then you can bundle the entire trilogy together.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The Last of Us Pt 3

INT: CABIN in JACKSON

ELLIE wakes up and hears a shower running. She goes to the bathroom and sees JOEL drying himself off. It turns out the entirety of Pt 2 was just a dream!

JOEL
Hey kiddo, what say we go on another journey and bust some heads.

ELLIE
Fuckin' A Joel

JOEL and ELLIE go on a 40 hour adventure where they quip and bicker inbetween murdering countless, nameless people and suffer no repercussions for the heinous acts they commit.

At the end of the final level of the game they stumble across a grave for ABBY, pee on it, both laugh heartily and everyone on the internet is happy.

THE END​

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What if... the PS5 generation never really ends. We have plateaued a bit in terms of hardware progress. Sure, a mid-gen refresh for RT/ML but otherwise pretty much the same.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us Pt 3

ELLIE wakes up and hears a shower running. She goes to the bathroom and sees JOEL drying himself off. It turns out the entirety of Pt 2 was just a dream!

JOEL

ELLIE
Fuckin' A Joel

JOEL and ELLIE go on a 40 hour adventure where they quip and bicker inbetween murdering countless, nameless people and suffer no repercussions for the heinous acts they commit.

At the end of the final level of the game they stumble across a grave for ABBY, pee on it, both laugh heartily and everyone on the internet is happy.

THE END​
"Now THAT'S a true sequel!!"

- Joe Gamer

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Shhhhhhh, shut up Neil or Sony will listen and make you develop it right now!
It would be a (big, really big) shame if they only did sequels and remakes of their two ps3 ips from now (from ps3 in fact) on.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
It will be very, very interesting where the story will go this time. I didn't think that Part I needed a sequel but was very pleasantly surprised, so hopefully ND will manage to pull that off again with the Part III.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The Last of Us Pt 3

JOEL

ELLIE
Fuckin' A Joel

THE END​
Ah, the JJ Abrams approach to closing out a trilogy

I FUCKING KNEW THIS!!! I fucking knew a part 3 was approved based on Ellie's ending alone! I think what happened is Sony probably approved of this awhile back and that's probably why the ending was made to be more open ended. As for when part 3 will come out? It's all depending on the tv series me thinks.

I imagine if it's a big hit, both Sony & hbo will want a part 3 to not only cash in on the tv series, but also (in hbo's case) avoid a game of thrones situation where they run out of material and it all goes to shit. I very much thing if everything hits on all cylinders, that Sony will try the two team set up again with naughty dog to get both a new ip & part 3.

also? I firmly believe this is why the dlc was shelf, its most likely gonna show up in part 3. Same with the American daughters stuff. It's all coming together now, even the remake funnily enough, it's to make all 3 games consistent.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Part 2 changed hugely from the original idea aswell so I'm sure the difference between the outline and what we actually get will be huge.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's Part 3.

It would be weird to make a Part 3 not connected at all to Part 1 and 2 outside of minor stuff.
It woildn't be weird at all.

In fact, them not saying "continuing their story" and instead saying "explore a little bit" leans more toward it not if anything, imo.

Part 2 changed hugely from the original idea aswell so I'm sure the difference between the outline and what we actually get will be huge.
Obviously, especially with Neil going over part 1 again (another reason why he might be hesitant to jump head first in part 3.) and the Possibility of mazin getting involved if the show is a big hit.(didnt Sony want him to make a game and he wanted tlou, but they refused?)

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Part 2 was depressing beyond belief to play. I don't think I can handle a part 3. Rather have uncharted 5 now hopefully with Elena as main character with her daughter.

Not saying I don't like the last of us. I love it in fact I'm just a little tired of it right now. That remake news also sucks.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I'm okay with it being made one day but please move onto something else. And it sounds like they are which is very good. No has the skills and resources to take some creative risks. Sticking with tlou at the moment would be very disappointing. So I'm pleased