• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topics

• Former Rat.

Votes: 255 53.6%
  • Former Human.

Votes: 173 36.3%
  • Both (IDW Comics)

Votes: 48 10.1%

• Total voters

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting question, guess he's a human who got crossed with a rat? Also I never understood why he's inside of a giant wooden column that he then smashes

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A human who was transformed into a rat, who was then transformed into a big ass rat to lead some big ass turtles

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has to be human because it would make 0 sense for him to have a Japanese accent if he was just some Manhattan rat... on the other hand, I seem to vaguely, vaguely remember that in some continuity, he was a pet rat of a ninja master.

Oct 25, 2017
It varies depending on the continuity. Original comics, movie, and 2003 went with rat. 87 and 2012 went with human.
I don't recall what he was in the 2014 movie. I think he was a rat?

He has to be human because it would make 0 sense for him to have a Japanese accent if he was just some Manhattan rat... on the other hand, I seem to vaguely, vaguely remember that in some continuity, he was a pet rat of a ninja master.

Yeah, in some continuities he was Hamato Yoshi's pet.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Well, I should be more careful before I click post.
The thread is Which master splinter version you like most? a former human or a former rat.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Splinter being a former rat is idiotic, I don't care if it's comic book accurate.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Human into rat. As good as the 1990 film is the rat copying the martial arts is beyond dumb.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah human into rat makes way more sense. How the fuck is he teaching them how to speak and do martial arts if he wasn't human first? If he was a rat first he wouldn't know how to do those things well, let alone teach them.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Rat makes him more badass. Hell, his sons were normal turtles. Fuck what makes sense! It's already silly as hell 😂

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yeah human into rat makes way more sense. How the fuck is he teaching them how to speak and do martial arts if he wasn't human first? If he was a rat first he wouldn't know how to do those things well, let alone teach them.
ClosedSeveralCony-size_restricted.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, 2012 is the definitive Splinter and Shredder to me, so I vote human

Also, how does he is both in the idw comic? I think I missed this issue

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh the reincarnation thing.
I hate that so much that I erased it from my memory

Yeah. I am currently reading through them, and I am not the biggest fan of the setup.

I can handle reincarnation. I can handle slime that turns animals into intelligent humanoid beings. I can't handle reincarnation into an animal that is then exposed to slime that turns him into an intelligent humanoid being.

That is like Kal-El being sent to earth and being bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him super powers.

I am really torn on it. It is extra silly. But, it is kind of cool at the same time. The turtles are his reincarnated children also. And Shredder is essentially an immortal, so he is the same guy who killed them in their previous life. Kind of trippy shit.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah. I am currently reading through them, and I am not the biggest fan of the setup.

I can handle reincarnation. I can handle slime that turns animals into intelligent humanoid beings. I can't handle reincarnation into an animal that is then exposed to slime that turns him into an intelligent humanoid being.

That is like Kal-El being sent to earth and being bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him super powers.

I am really torn on it. It is extra silly. But, it is kind of cool at the same time. The turtles are his reincarnated children also. And Shredder is essentially an immortal, so he is the same guy who killed them in their previous life. Kind of trippy shit.

My problem is more related to how it undermines the team building aspect of the turtles, my favorite aspect of all versions of the IP

If they are destined to be a team, why bother see them trying to work together or learn to listen to splinter

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer him being a rat, though that wouldn't explain how he was a ninja master.

I forgot how was he both in the IDW comics?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Prefer mutated rat. It feels more fitting to the - taking on a bunch of immature adolescent mutants turtles, and teaching them how to live as humanoids and with dignity - angle.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rat because it makes more sense.

In Comics/2003/Movies, both rat and the turtles evolves and get smarter.

In the crappier shows, the turtles evolve and gain more intelligence but the human turned rat doesn't? Also "the last thing they touched" rule? LOL there are millions of microorganism living on humans. Splinter would be like a mutant amoeba or something

I prefer him being a rat, though that wouldn't explain how he was a ninja master.

His owner was a martial arts master and Splinter would mimic his moves

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
There are so many different versions of TMNT it doesnt matter. IDW has knocked it out of the park tho

Nov 7, 2017
In my head he was an escaped japanese lab rat that had intelligence experiments conducted on it. Then he was found by hamato yoshi in the streets one day after he almost died escaping the facility. Then he studied yoshis moves until he became splinter:)

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I used to prefer him being a rat, but the 2012 is the definitive version for me. Splinter's backstory with Shredder is so much better as a former human than as a rat.