• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Vanessa is an absolute rock and I can't even begin to imagine the strength she's exhibiting to get her family through this nightmare.

I really feel for the family members who were left behind in this life. What's kind of amazing about Vanessa is how she pretty much stayed out of the public eye while being married to one of the most famous and revered sports figures on the planet. All of this while being in Southern California.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the by...

ABC News suspended the dude who said all his children were on the copter.

He probably heard "Daughter's on board" over a phone call or radio and thought they were saying "Daughters [are] on board," not "Daughter is on board"

But that's why you double, triple, quadruple check that shit before you send it out to the public.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
can someone take a screenshot? this post isn't loading for me

SusU7ue.png

My girls and I want to thank the millions of people who've shown support and love during this horrific time. Thank you for all the prayers. We definitely need them. We are completely devastated by the sudden loss of my adoring husband, Kobe — the amazing father of our children; and my beautiful, sweet Gianna — a loving, thoughtful, and wonderful daughter, and amazing sister to Natalia, Bianka, and Capri.

We are also devastated for the families who lost their loved ones on Sunday, and we share in their grief intimately.

There aren't enough words to describe our pain right now. I take comfort in knowing that Kobe and Gigi both knew that they were so deeply loved. We were so incredibly blessed to have them in our lives. I wish they were here with us forever. They were our beautiful blessings taken from us too soon.

I'm not sure what our lives hold beyond today, and it's impossible to imagine life without them. But we wake up each day, trying to keep pushing because Kobe, and our baby girl, Gigi, are shining on us to light the way. Our love for them is endless — and that's to say, immeasurable. I just wish I could hug them, kiss them and bless them. Have them here with us, forever.

Thank you for sharing your joy, your grief and your support with us. We ask that you grant us the respect and privacy we will need to navigate this new reality.

To honor our Team Mamba family, the Mamba Sports Foundation has set up the MambaOnThree Fund to help support the other families affected by this tragedy. To donate, please go to MambaOnThree.org.

To further Kobe and Gianna's legacy in youth sports, please visit MambaSportsFoundation.org.

Thank you so much for lifting us up in your prayers, and for loving Kobe, Gigi, Natalia, Bianka, Capri and me.
#Mamba
#Mambacita
#GirlsDad
#DaddysGirls
#Family
❤️

Cap'n Cook

Oct 25, 2017
kobe_bryant_white_snood.jpg

Just thought I would inject some levity into this thread. I'm still super bummed but this will never not make me laugh, what was he thinking 😄

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
kobe_bryant_white_snood.jpg

Just thought I would inject some levity into this thread. I'm still super bummed but this will never not make me laugh, what was he thinking 😄
double_a2febc.jpg

mabey he was a big young thug fan 😂 Honestly watching all this interviews of Kobe and stuff he had a really good sense of humor and was funny as hell. Would even laugh at jokes that were about him and I beleive that's signs of good character. Such a fucking tragedy!!!!!

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I'm not really a basketball fan, but Kobe's death has really been impacting me since I got the notification about it on Sunday, especially now after seeing Vanessa's Instagram post. Every aspect of it is so sad, and I get choked up every time I see a post about him. It really does go to show you how fragile life really is and everything can change in a split second. He seemed like he was a genuine, kind soul..and thinking about his daughter going way too soon makes it all the worse.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm calling bullshit. The crash happened at 9:45 am. TMZ news went up before 11:30am. So you mean to tell me they were on the phone with "his people" less than 45 min after the accident happened? Yeah right. The "tip" from Law enforcement = bought the info from a snake involved. All of them are all scum.
Maybe it's just me but I'll take Levin's word over some county sheriff any day. Rep is currency in LA and if everyone in LA actually hated TMZ for being scummy about this they'd be way more fucked than if they had just sat on the story.

Plus, within like twenty minutes of TMZ publishing, Woj on ESPN had it confirmed thru someone else, too. Also before the sheriff deigned to tell anyone what was going on. Which, to me, kinda corroborates that someone in the Kobe inner-circle had permission to get the word out to a few people.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He admits right in the interview that they didn't check with the rest of the victims' families before releasing the news. So maybe Vanessa and the kids knew but there were a lot of other families affected. TMZ can still fuck right off for this one.

I don't think they did anything wrong there. It was already circulating on LA-area news that there was a fatal helicopter crash in Calabasas, so it's not like they were the ones who broke the entire story. And outside of Kobe, they weren't the first ones to report any of the other victims.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
This thread is really sticking up for the LAPD currently? Lmao

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I followed Kobe the most (outside of the two finals) when he was on Team USA playing under Coach K in the Fibas and Summer Olympics. I didn't watch much NBA games in the past, the only exceptions being Kobe's and Lebron's finals.

The most memorable Kobe moment for me personally when he caught fire from 3 against Australia.

Needless to say Coach K is pretty shaken up about it, like all of us.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
As I'm about to go to sleep... it continues to pop up in my head every now and then.. this is Kobe Bryant that we grew up with.... gone... not some tall stranger. When ever I see his name on the buttom of the sports ticker...or when they show video footage of him just walking, that's when it hits me. (Not when they show his basketball highlights)

Seems like it was a different life time now, when he was alive.

Mar 26, 2018

Looking around the hill that they hit, where they hit it is hard to imagine if even the hill played the biggest part, near 180 mph and being that close to the ground regardless of the hill just doesn't seem right. Maybe in person it looks much higher and maybe he could have thought he was clear of any hills but obviously we have no idea. The speed is the part that makes no sense to me, why 180 mph when you can't see

most of the hills that they would come across are all about the same size, so regardless of this one they would have hit another one somewhere at these heights so I do not think it was the hill or mountain that is at fault imo

the only place of this entire area that is safe to fly at these heights seem to be the immidiate city area or town which would almost be it's own trench, again you couldn't fly across it and past it at the height they crashed at.

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well plenty of human scumbags posting garbage takes over this tragedy.

This dude is gonna get his ass beat. People really need to stop thinking they can say whatever they want with no repercussions. Not gonna feel sorry for him when he starts crying about the death threats and deletes his twitter.

So yeah, the outcome we all predicted happened. LOL@ him trying to backtrack. People really need to know when to shut the fuck up.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Can't imagine why any of the families are going through. I couldn't imagine losing multiple family members in an instant in a maybe avoidable accident. Days later and I'm still shocked Kobe is gone. Hell, a year later and I will still probably be shocked.

The timing of it all just makes it so much worse. Yeah Kobe was on ESPN analyzing games and players but with Lebron passing him he was going to be all over. His untimely death the next day just destroys me.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017

Looking around the hill that they hit, where they hit it is hard to imagine if even the hill played the biggest part, near 180 mph and being that close to the ground regardless of the hill just doesn't seem right. Maybe in person it looks much higher and maybe he could have thought he was clear of any hills but obviously we have no idea. The speed is the part that makes no sense to me, why 180 mph when you can't see

most of the hills that they would come across are all about the same size, so regardless of this one they would have hit another one somewhere at these heights so I do not think it was the hill or mountain that is at fault imo

the only place of this entire area that is safe to fly at these heights seem to be the immidiate city area or town which would almost be it's own trench, again you couldn't fly across it and past it at the height they crashed at.

Before ascending and heading left up into the mountains they were following a highway that goes through a pass.

Some guy did a Google earth showing their route according to radar. My guess is at some point while navigating over the highway the pilot didnt feel comfortable trying to stay in between mountains with that visibility. His reaction was to gain altitude and get over the clouds to where he could see or at least use ATC for flight following the rest of the way.

At some point in the ascension he either became disoriented and put the heli in a position where it could not generate lift thus the rapid descension OR the helicopter itself had a mechanical issue that caused it. I'm fully expecting a pilot error to be the result of the investigation.

All of this was avoidable and it sucks.

Mar 26, 2018
Before ascending and heading left up into the mountains they were following a highway that goes through a pass.

Some guy did a Google earth showing their route according to radar. My guess is at some point while navigating over the highway the pilot didnt feel comfortable trying to stay in between mountains with that visibility. His reaction was to gain altitude and get over the clouds to where he could see or at least use ATC for flight following the rest of the way.

At some point in the ascension he either became disoriented and put the heli in a position where it could not generate lift thus the rapid descension OR the helicopter itself had a mechanical issue that caused it. I'm fully expecting a pilot error to be the result of the investigation.

All of this was avoidable and it sucks.
Looks like he should have just went for an emergency landing straight down and slowly before that on the highway or open area as soon as he felt the cloud cover was becoming a serious issue. According to the videos of the sky that were first shown. I'm not a pilot but it would seem emergency landings in a helicopter would be the one you want when compared to planes.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018

I just watched a aviation lawyer, explain that it is very risky to fly a helicopter through dense fog. The pilot is forced to only use the instruments in front of him. Although the pilot was trained to fly in a situation similar, the terrain below present more complications.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a aviation lawyer, explain that it is very risky to fly a helicopter through dense fog. The pilot is forced to only use the instruments in front of him. Although the pilot was trained to fly in a situation similar, the terrain below present more complications.

I heard the company he flew for didn't allow for IFR flight, regardless of if the craft and pilot are trained for it (they were).

If that's the case, then it simply should have been a hard and fast rule that a request for special VFR was simply not allowed. Because it's by definition an acceptance that there exist conditions that could force you to fly by instruments alone, and try as you might to avoid those conditions, shit happens.

If that common sense measurement existed, when it was clear to the pilot he could only continue under SVFR rules, he would not have been given the option to tempt the situation and would have been forced to ground.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017

This pilot was obviously struggling too. You can get that just from his flight pattern.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Very nice that even within her own's family's tragedy she's thinking about the other people who lost their lives families.
Of course it's nice, but I got a little bit bothered by seeing so many comments about "Thank you for mentioning the others" and "People not as well known have perished" and stuff like that. (on instagram posts, not here)

Like why does it feel like if she or others didnt mention the other victims, they would be judged negatively by some? That really bugs me but I just have to ignore it. Mourn Kobe, mourn everybody. The other victims aren't somehow "forgotten" because somebody focuses one post on one person. We all know everybody is sad for every single person that lost their life in this tragedy.

Bah, just sucks. Venting a little, sorry to use your post as a springboard.