• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so even if their intentions are good with trying to cut down on congestion, I'm really shocked they're not playing the game or any of the tributes outside of Staples. it's just a mass of people

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trolling in the slightest, I'm genuinely shocked and appalled at this outpouring of grief. This guy shouldn't be anyone's hero.
There are double standards on this site, people make a big deal about polanski, but apparently kobe is fine.
You're probably going to be banned pretty soon here, and once you can't post anymore just remember: You're an asshole. You decided to post in a thread where people are obviously mourning and be an edge lord so that you can get attention. Nobody believes you care about Kobe or rape victims or women. This is about *you*

And for the record, per forum rules, I'm assuming anyone talking shit and trolling in the eventual Polanski death thread will similarly be banned. It's not hard just to click "ignore" on the thread, folks.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Again, if someone wants to bring up a relevant and important aspect, criticize the ignoring Kobe raping someone, it's just really confusing why they can't. This thread shows that idea of people ignoring it and giving a pass. The other thread doesn't. So this is the place.

This place needs to be consistent, and not have double standards. People ask for something not to be discussed all the time, when it makes them uncomforatble but Era allows it.

Oh this time we don't want uncomfortable truths, but it's okay for those people to be made confronted with uncomfortable truths.
It's consistent in how it handles threads about the immediate death. There's a whole other thread to discuss his rape. Perhaps you should go there.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
there's room for discussion of both facts, that he was a hero to many but also a rapist. But that shouldn't be people's cue to come in here and question why you mourn his passing. It's not like we don't know about it or something.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
There is a whole thread dedicated to that topic. You can go there and talk about it with all your hearts content. People have asked to not discuss it in this thread. Thanks.
Ya for real. These fucks don't realize all the good Kobe has done for humanity and how much he has helped people and grown either they just dwell on the bad and that's what's wrong with this age. We preach for people to change and become better people but when we have a prime example of that they ignore it and dwell on the hate..

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't that hard to understand with even just a little bit of critical thinking applied. The posters here aren't a hivemind and can have differing opinions regarding problematic figures.

What Kobe did was disgusting and there is no excusing it. However, if people believe he is worthy of redemption and believe he became a better person in the aftermath that is up to them.

People see the charity work, the dedication to his family, and all the the visits to sick children that were not made public until now that he was clearly trying to be a better person.

Does that make up for the rape? Absolutely not. It isn't up to anyone else to tell anyone how to grieve.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't that hard to understand with even just a little bit of critical thinking applied. The posters here aren't a hivemind and can have differing opinions regarding problematic figures.

What Kobe did was disgusting and there is no excusing it. However, if people believe he is worthy of redemption and believe he became a better person in the aftermath that is up to them.

People see the charity work, the dedication to his family, and all the the visits to sick children that were not made public until now that he was clearly trying to be a better person.

Does that make up for the rape? Absolutely not. It isn't up to anyone else to tell anyone how to grieve.
Good post.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Amazing post.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, of course they got Charlie Puth and Wiz to play See You Again at halftime. ;__;

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I still can't believe this.... but I also have been avoiding all the tribute videos this week....all the interviews with players.....didn't want to watch the start of tonights game.

I think late next week I'll sit down and watch them all.

All these regular pictures of Kobe I come across and I still can't believe it's for THAT reason.
unbelievable.gif

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
there's room for discussion of both facts, that he was a hero to many but also a rapist. But that shouldn't be people's cue to come in here and question why you mourn his passing. It's not like we don't know about it or something.

I feel like that's the distinction a lot of people miss out on ovr their "confusion" to people catching bans. Like there's a fine line between bringing up the actual issues of how his legacy should be remembered, and using it as a point to take swipes at anybody saddened by his death.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
I feel like that's the distinction a lot of people miss out on ovr their "confusion" to people catching bans. Like there's a fine line between bringing up the actual issues of how his legacy should be remembered, and using it as a point to take swipes at anybody saddened by his death.
I really agree here. I hate Kobe, and have for 15 years, but I don't need to go around talking shit about people don't that feel the same way. If someone says they are crying, or feel like crying, it's cruel as hell to bully them at that exact moment.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I had some shower thoughts about all the coverage of Kobe. Why is it unacceptable from youtubers to monetize and profit from tragedies, but it's ok for the news? I mean I understand that news stations need to make money and tragic news is there most profitable segments, but something about profiting off someone's death just feels wrong to me.

Also I know it's always been a thing but I just never thought about it before maybe it's cause Kobe is one of the few celebrities passing that has hit me hard. Is this a dumb take?

Edit: I would feel much more ok with it if it was a celebration of his life. Like highlights, best games, memorable moments.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Sexist accusation against a rape victim; account still in junior phase
I'm not trolling in the slightest, I'm genuinely shocked and appalled at this outpouring of grief. This guy shouldn't be anyone's hero.
There are double standards on this site, people make a big deal about polanski, but apparently kobe is fine.

I truly believe she just took the opportunity to make money. Nothing more and nothing less.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I still can't believe Kobe is gone. Even though I'm a Laker fan Kobe was not my favorite baller. Having said that I always admired his drive, discipline, and work ethics.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
This has been absolutely devastating for me. As soon as I heard my heart sank in my chest in a way it never has for a celeb or athlete death. Thanks for all the memories Kobe.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably going to be banned pretty soon here, and once you can't post anymore just remember: You're an asshole. You decided to post in a thread where people are obviously mourning and be an edge lord so that you can get attention. Nobody believes you care about Kobe or rape victims or women. This is about *you*

And for the record, per forum rules, I'm assuming anyone talking shit and trolling in the eventual Polanski death thread will similarly be banned. It's not hard just to click "ignore" on the thread, folks.
And so it happened.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still get a wave of sadness whenever I see "Kobe Bryant has passed away" or some variation of that sentence.

This man meant everything to me as a kid growing up in LA in the 2000s. My earliest memories of basketball involved this dude. My room is littered with his posters and jerseys.

Oct 28, 2017

The truth is the reason discussing his rape here in a thread about his death is banned is because of who he is. There are many people who have raped before in similar circumstances as Kobe and if they died, people say "and nothing was lost" with no punishment.

But this is Kobe Bryant, and people don't really care about consistency when somebody important to them died. Same thing happened with Michael Jackson. We're all people and we don't act perfectly consistent. So pointing out the inconsistency isn't wrong, but we also shouldn't pretend it isn't inconsistent. People are moderating with their feelings right now. It's as simple as that.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017

A really good interview on helicopter flight, VFR and IFR flight. Professional pilot gives his opinion on what may have been the cause of the crash.
Yeah I watched this earlier. In my early investigations, I guessed vortex ring state is what caused the crash. Either that or he could have been so disoriented that he believed he was gaining altitude when in fact he was descending. By the time he came out of the cloud it was too late.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Damn, thats too much truth for an internet message board.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah I watched this earlier. In my early investigations, I guessed vortex ring state is what caused the crash. Either that or he could have been so disoriented that he believed he was gaining altitude when in fact he was descending. By the time he came out of the cloud it was too late.

Wow, so without visual guidance you can misjudge the trajectory of aircraft?

I watched the abc news video with captioned radio air traffic control and was waiting for them to mention the weather in Calabasas. It seems like the pilot was suprised by the presence of dense fog in his flight.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, so without visual guidance you can misjudge the trajectory of aircraft?

I watched the abc news video with captioned radio air traffic control and was waiting for them to mention the weather in Calabasas. It seems like the pilot was suprised by the presence of dense fog in his flight.
Oh yeah. Pilots flying from good visibility into poor visibility is one of the main causes of aircraft accidents. They call it spatial disorientation; When you can't see the earth to reference yourself, your mind will play tricks on you. Trusting your gut in that case could cause a deadly adjustment or maneuver.

In this case the pilot was certified to use his instruments but he may not even realized he needed them.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been listening to a lot of sports podcasts and Kobe is obviously the primary story in all of them. The majority of them spending a lot of time memorializing Kobe on this whole "Mamba Mentality" thing and I'm not really down for it. I don't really want that to be what is Kobe's memory.

For the most part, they act as if Kobe revolutionized work-ethic or something. Nobody is doubting Kobe's work-ethic and the guy pursued other interests heavily recently after retirement, and that's cool too. But the romanticization of it feels....empty, I guess? It feels like they're just saying he worked hard and had an alliterative name for it.

I don't want to sound like a hater about it and it's common to speak well of the recently deceased. It just feels like an empty and vague description of him.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been listening to a lot of sports podcasts and Kobe is obviously the primary story in all of them. The majority of them spending a lot of time memorializing Kobe on this whole "Mamba Mentality" thing and I'm not really down for it. I don't really want that to be what is Kobe's memory.

For the most part, they act as if Kobe revolutionized work-ethic or something. Nobody is doubting Kobe's work-ethic and the guy pursued other interests heavily recently after retirement, and that's cool too. But the romanticization of it feels....empty, I guess? It feels like they're just saying he worked hard and had above alliterative name for it.

I don't want to sound like a hater about it and it's common to speak well of the recently deceased. It just feels like an empty and vague description of him.
I thought The Lowe Post had a really good segment on it that touched on all the aspects of his life from 3 people (and 2 women) that knew him fairly well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For the most part, they act as if Kobe revolutionized work-ethic or something. Nobody is doubting Kobe's work-ethic and the guy pursued other interests heavily recently after retirement, and that's cool too. But the romanticization of it feels....empty, I guess? It feels like they're just saying he worked hard and had above alliterative name for it.

I see where you're coming from. But I look at it like this, think about some disadvantaged kids and other people who this may have never occurred to if it weren't for him.

Wrapping that common sense in an easily relatable hash tag works for some people. It's all good.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

For the most part, they act as if Kobe revolutionized work-ethic or something. Nobody is doubting Kobe's work-ethic and the guy pursued other interests heavily recently after retirement, and that's cool too. But the romanticization of it feels....empty, I guess? It feels like they're just saying he worked hard and had an alliterative name for it.

I can see where you're coming from but if you followed his whole career rather obsessively like most of us in California his work ethic became a sort of mythical part of his legacy. I think more than anything now we're all hearing much more of the human sides of him but the drive of Kobe Bryant wasn't a common way of life for many people and was a source of inspiration

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Can someone post the gif / video of Kobe and his daughter both dribbling turning and shooting that is spliced together. I can't find it no matter how hard I look for some reason.