• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Everything is set up to cater the wealthy

To be fair it's a civil case. I *think* the person only wants money for AB's actions.

They will pay and that will be it. Unless the nfl gets involved. But like I said, this isn't a police arresting brown of rape type of instance. It's a civil case where the woman is looking to forever tag him as a rapist and get money for her pain and suffering.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There's not a whole lot of justice for rape victims in criminal cases, so many opt for a civil case.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
If the raiders were aware. And the patriots were aware. Howo could the league not be aware?

Also, if he had been making regular payments, that may point to guilt but also supports the extorsion claims? Did the payments recently stop?

This is a mess.

I mean rumors of this stuff has been floating around social media for a little while...how did either team not know?

I don't buy that shit for a second, these teams know a lot...esp. when it comes to superstar players.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is messy. I always lean towards believing victims, but the evidence is very murky in this case. AB is a total clown, but there's a huge gulf between clown and rapist. No matter the outcome of the case it's going to suck, but I reaaaally hope this is not extortion. That would be detrimental to victims everywhere.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me preface this by saying there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the NFL's decision making regarding these situations because Goodell can do whatever the fuck he wants.

But there is at least some precedent.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...r-quarterback-twice-accused-of-sexual-assault

The gist of it is...

1. He was accused of raping a girl in 2008/2009. It was brought as a civil suit against him and the hotel it happened in. The case was finally settled out of court in 2012. The NFL took no action at the time of the accusation or when it was settled.

2. He was accused AGAIN in 2010. The victim told the DA she did not want to prosecute because she did not want the crazy media attention. The DA said even if they wanted to go ahead they did not have enough evidence to prosecute. The NFL suspended Ben for 6, reduced to 4, games. They won the superbowl that year.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sanjuro stop being a dumbass and stop posting OJ on here

People take what you say at face value, whether you think it's an obvious joke or not

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
So let me preface this by saying there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the NFL's decision making regarding these situations because Goodell can do whatever the fuck he wants.

But there is at least some precedent.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...r-quarterback-twice-accused-of-sexual-assault

The gist of it is...

1. He was accused of raping a girl in 2008/2009. It was brought as a civil suit against him and the hotel it happened in. The case was finally settled out of court in 2012. The NFL took no action at the time of the accusation or when it was settled.

2. He was accused AGAIN in 2010. The victim told the DA she did not want to prosecute because she did not want the crazy media attention. The DA said even if they wanted to go ahead they did not have enough evidence to prosecute. The NFL suspended Ben for 6, reduced to 4, games. They won the superbowl that year.
Different era as things are a bit different now, with more awareness regarding abuse and assault.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
This is a murky situation all around but I strongly believe that people should wait before saying Antonio Brown is guilty or innocent. Let the courts
handle this and determine if he is guilty or not. It could be that he is guilty and then he will pay the price for his actions, or it could be that he is innocent.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if he and Ben couldn't bond over their love of sexual assault then I guess their relationship really was beyond repair.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

Sanjuro stop being a dumbass and stop posting OJ on here

People take what you say at face value, whether you think it's an obvious joke or not

If I'm supposed to take posters telling me I voted for Trump at face value, the spectrum of posters in here is rather tight. There are a ton of disingenuous posts. Regardless, I'm following along pretty closely for obvious reasons.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
This is a murky situation all around but I strongly believe that people should wait before saying Antonio Brown is guilty or innocent. Let the courts
handle this and determine if he is guilty or not. It could be that he is guilty and then he will pay the price for his actions, or it could be that he is innocent.

Yes...rapists always pay the price for their actions, especially when they are rich...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different era as things are a bit different now, with more awareness regarding abuse and assault.
For sure, which is why I think they might put him on an indefinite exempt list (paid, can't play) but because the accusations aren't necessarily "rock solid" I would not be surprised if they let one of their star receivers the benefit of the doubt and let him play as proceedings move forward. I'm a pats fan fyi, and I think he should be put on the exempt list.

But I bet the NFL will be investigating
1. How long this has been happening
2. If the Steelers/Raiders/Patriots knew
3. Do their own investigation into the accusation

Once again, friendly reminder that "believe women" does not mean guilty until proven innocent.

It means to take their accusations and their stories seriously and investigate the accused to the fullest extent. Which is what they should do in this case.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

If I'm supposed to take posters telling me I voted for Trump at face value, the spectrum of posters in here is rather tight. There are a ton of disingenuous posts. Regardless, I'm following along pretty closely for obvious reasons.

No you're posting OJ tweets and radio show trolls as actual information to be a smartass, don't try to deflect, this isn't my first rodeo.

You can do better and you should do better.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
No you're posting OJ tweets and radio show trolls as actual information to be a smartass, don't try to deflect, this isn't my first rodeo.

You can do better and you should do better.
He normally doesn't call into the radio. Despite if you believe him or not, he broke the story three days prior to news of the lawsuit. It's relevant.

I do just find the OJ thing amusing in a surreal way tbh.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wow just saw the news. I knew AB was an asshole, but I had no idea he was capable of something like this.

Unbelievable.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Reporters usually only ask softball questions in sports because sports reporters have no leverage anymore [...] If you really want an in-depth response from Belichick, ask him about Lacrosse.

A very good summary. Sports reporters, perhaps more than any other hacks, live or die by access and that is completely within the hands of teams to give or withhold. Sir Alex Ferguson, when manager of Manchester United, refused to speak to the BBC for 7 years...

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes...rapists always pay the price for their actions, especially when they are rich...

I never said some rapists don't get away with it. What I'm saying is that we should wait until the investigations are complete before saying
someone is guilty or not. Stop taking what I said out of context, it adds nothing to this discussion.

Nov 27, 2017
That is huge to me. The fact she isn't backing down tells me there is probably something to this.

Regardless AB needs to be banned from the facilities and games until the investigation is complete. You can have a possible abuser practicing and playing games.

I mean, if they filed the other day, I would've been very, very surprised if she backed down already.

Yeah, he shouldn't be playing. The Patriots used up a bunch of their cap space but the NFL probably won't void any guarantees until they know the outcome of the investigation (although I don't know what kind of language is in the contract). I'm guessing he gets put on the exempt list and doesn't play/practice or whatever until more info can be gathered.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Are the Pats/Bill still making a statement now/at 11:30ish am? Also, the league/Pats just needs to place him on the ineligible list so he can't practice or play during this whole thing. And I still expect him to be cut, just not worth it, etc.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how much faith I'd have with the NFL doing a thorough investigation. She should just go to the police.
I'm not gonna question the way she decides to handle her own assault allegations. If she thinks cooperating with the NFL is the way to do it then I'm going to support her.

She is doing her part by participating though. I can only hope the Patriots/NFL do the right thing as well and remove him from the facilities and put him on the exempt list.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Are the Pats/Bill still making a statement now/at 11:30ish am? Also, the league/Pats just needs to place him on the ineligible list so he can't practice or play during this whole thing. And I still expect him to be cut, just not worth it, etc.
Pats presser should be taking place in a few minutes. AB's agent to follow.