• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna question the way she decides to handle her own assault allegations. If she thinks cooperating with the NFL is the way to do it then I'm goimg to support her.

I'm thinking more of all the bonehead decisions the NFL has made with terrible people and the fact nothing ever seems to happen to them. But, sounds like the NFL opened an investigation, and if they requested to speak with her, and she says "no, thank you," that wouldn't look good, either.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why isn't there a criminal case for this first? Usually the civil case follows the criminal case.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There's been stuff on Twitter, nothing specific about rape but there was shit out there that a lawsuit was coming and rumors around him in the summer...I remember reading them.

If you're going to ask for specific tweets, I guess I can spend all day searching for them.

This is very vague and you can't really say "there have been rumors of this all summer" if those random tweets you saw didn't say anything specific about rape.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe she thought the statute of limitations has passed? Or that she doesn't have enough evidence for a criminal case?

A civil case is MUCH easier to win than a criminal case.

I'm guessing this. She may have went to the police and there wasn't enough evidence but for a civil case she could move forward.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone could summarize that'd be great, unable to watch atm.
Bill said he's not going to expand on any on the statements made already in regard to the Brown situation. Took some more questions, and then he walked off.

Edit: Brown is going to practice today. Other then that he gave no other information. Which is pretty much what you would expect.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
If anyone could summarize that'd be great, unable to watch atm.
He started talking about how great the Dolphins are and they have a great kicking game.

Said the representatives have made statements regarding AB. He will not be answering any other questions. When he knows more, he'll let us know.

AB will practice today.

Told people to get their shinebox.

The press pissed him off enough and he left the podium.

Nov 27, 2017
Belichick being Belichick. He started talking about this week's game and saying that the team and Antonio's reps made statements about the situation and he's not going to elaborate on any of that. That he'll say more when they know more.

He said they're planning on Antonio practicing today, but when asked about Sunday, he said "we'll take it one day at a time."

And then obviously all the reporters kept asking about Antonio and Bill eventually just walked off the podium. The whole thing was like 5 minutes.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
There's been stuff on Twitter, nothing specific about rape but there was shit out there that a lawsuit was coming and rumors around him in the summer...I remember reading them.

If you're going to ask for specific tweets, I guess I can spend all day searching for them.
Nah, wasn't calling you out. Just curious how much farther the rabbit hole goes for this.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Bill said he's not going to expand on any on the statements made already in regard to the Brown situation. Took some more questions, and then he walked off.

Edit: Brown is going to practice today. Other then that he gave no other information. Which is pretty much what you would expect.
He started talking about how great the Dolphins are and they have a great kicking game.

Said the representatives have made statements regarding AB. He will not be answering any other questions. When he knows more, he'll let us know.

AB will practice today.

Told people to get their shinebox.

The press pissed him off enough and he left the podium.

Ok yeah so about as expected. Surprised he's practicing today. Maybe they know more than we do. I don't know anymore, I just don't think he's worth it at this point.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(Checks who the QB is of the Steelers)... Did they though?

This sounds suspiciously like victim blaming. It's not her fault if he's a piece of shit.

Rapistburger continuing to play is the main reason I hate the Steelers, even though they are NE's rivals and draft a bunch of UGA players. I can't abide by it.

And yea any trainer would be dumb to turn down working with a superstar WR.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why isn't there a criminal case for this first? Usually the civil case follows the criminal case.
Burden of proof is usually much lower in civil cases than in criminal ones.

The nature of these types of cases (word versus word often) + the presumption of innocence + the need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (and "reasonable" is different for different jurors) means that they're often impossible to prosecute criminally.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Drew Rosenhaus on ESPN. Stated he and Antonio anticipated this suit would be a possibility. Antonio will cooperate with the investigation and Patriots, believes the legal team will prove the allegations to be untrue. This is a money grab.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Burden of proof is usually much lower in civil cases than in criminal ones.

The nature of these types of cases (word versus word often) + the presumption of innocence + the need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (and "reasonable" is different for different jurors) means that they're often impossible to prosecute criminally.

There's no chance for clarity, no matter what. Chances are that Brown will pay out because it's a civil matter, but it's also not enough to cut ties with him because there's no criminal matter pending.

If he's guilty, he'll pay out. If he's not guilty, he'll still pay out just to settle the matter.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I never said some rapists don't get away with it. What I'm saying is that we should wait until the investigations are complete before saying
someone is guilty or not. Stop taking what I said out of context, it adds nothing to this discussion.

It could be that he is guilty and then he will pay the price for his actions, or it could be that he is innocent.

How did I take that out of context? You are framing the situation definitively one way or another when we know for a fact that rape is incredibly difficult to prove in the court of law.

"Either he's innocent, or he is proved guilty."

That's not how rape works in most cases.

If AB settles this case, do you think that implies guilt or innocence?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Cut him. Pats don't need him.

Edit: This reminded me, didn't Luke Walton have allegations this summer and he is still the Sacramento King's coach? Sports leagues remain stupid.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
In a criminal case she/authorities have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt he did it. In a civil case there is more of an onus on him to prove he didn't. She has a better chance of winning a civil case. There's also the fact that she gets no money from a criminal case but does from a civil one. Although if she won the criminal case she'd have a much easier time winning a subsequent civil trial.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Cut him. Pats don't need him.

Edit: This reminded me, didn't Luke Walton have allegations this summer and he is still the Sacramento King's coach? Sports leagues remain stupid.

Kirstaps Porzingis did as well. They're taking the wait and see approach in his case, but both the Knicks and the Mavs were aware of the matter when he was traded.

I could see pats keeping him on simply because bellicheck still feels victimized over his own allegations

Belicheck has allegations?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirstaps Porzingis did as well. They're taking the wait and see approach in his case, but both the Knicks and the Mavs were aware of the matter when he was traded.
I can't find a tweet but some pundit/nfl guy did say that while the league can exempt him (aka paid leave) while the investigation takes place he thinks it would set a dangerous precedent. Would mean that all it takes is a civil suit filed to bench a player.

That being said, the commissioner having ultimate power and zero consistency is also terrible.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think settling a case should imply guilt or innocence. Innocent and guilty parties settle cases all them time. Pattern of behavior is a better indicator.

So we can never call him a rapist if he only raped one person. In order to be a rapist, there must be multiple incidents in which the women speak out.

So much for believing women.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

BREAKING: DA Zappala says his office will look into sexual assault allegations against Antonio Brown in wake of federal lawsuit.