• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
How are you not going to have this on a PlayStation console. My boy Genki uses a PS1 in the anime series!

youtu.be

[OFFICIAL] Monster Rancher -Ep#1- In The Beginning

Watch on AmazonPrime ☆ https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07Y8YSFGK/ref=cm_sw_tw_r_pv_wb_qfN7fMXbVGXA9Genki wins a "Monster Rancher 200X" CD in a touna...

I suspect this is one of the casualties of Sony no longer taking the Japanese market seriously - it won't sell well on sony platforms in Japan so they just haven't bothered porting it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome.
I love Monster Rancher.

Which probably is partially due to my love of tournament arcs, which these games basically are, lol

Deleted member 44122

saw the other thread and thought it was for japan only. thats awesome

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Really excited to see the series finally return. No CD functionality really impacts the novelty a lot, but I am still excited to revisit these games.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I was just surfing the Japanese eShop two hours ago and wondered why Monster Rancher never came to the states. I feel I may have willed this into existence.

For the greater good of this world in such trying times, I command thee to surf on the 3DS eShop, more specifically the Kid Icarus: Uprising page.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
These were pretty rad as a kid, but I only played 3 and 4 on PS2. Chucking in whatever disks I had to see what monsters I'd get.

Looking at what was shown on the announcement, 1 seems very basic, so I'm honestly not that interested though. Hopefully we can get ports of the latter ones though, I'd like to experience them again.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow! Never expected these to come out of Japan! Awesome news. Maybe there's hope for those Medabots ports too…

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of Japan-only games on the series, like the MMORPG Lagoon:

u7jwm.jpg

151ztkbj.jpg

It seems like the previous rereleases of 1 and 2 did well, so I wonder if they might try exploring interest in the series further?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I was super excited for these ports when they were first announced years back but eventually gave up on them ever getting released outside of Japan.

This is awesome.

PRomeotheus

May 29, 2018
Yes this is that, except it's got a digital CD library so we just pick the cd we want this time (because they're not reformatting the disks to be carts and vice versa for whatever format it's on)

I was going to ask if anyone knew how are they handling monster creation in this version, so thank you for the info. If that's the case, I'm wondering if the stats linked to each disk will be random

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just thankful this series didn't go down the way medabots did :(
Because I see lots of ways this series would have been exploited due to one of its monster types

Also remember folks, use the Batman 89 DVD for a good monster. (Monster rancher 2)

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely curious about this one… don't know when my monster backlog will allow tho

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I played entirely too much of these two games as a kid. Played a lot of MR3 and some MR4 as well, kind of want to revisit those two someday.

RE: The CD database, yeah, it loses a bit not being able to toss in random discs, but I had that fun back in the day. Today I'd rather get exactly what I want and use the speed-up feature. Such is life. :P

RE: MR1 vs MR2, if you're new to the series, yeah, there's not a ton of reasons to play MR1 over the sequel. MR2 does pretty much everything better. MR1 is interesting since the training and stat growth is a bit different, but unless you really get into things it's probably just a curiosity. I'll probably spend some time with both, though.

Dec 23, 2017
I used to try so many different CD's on PS1 to see what monster I got.

I don't know any other game that did that, such a fun time.

tumblr_n10n9bCSYa1shus8eo1_500.gif

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Fuck yeah. Monster Rancher 2 is the best of the series, and an incredible game overall. Excited for balance adjustments too, considering some breeds were just... really bad.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I loved the anime back in rhe day, but haven't tried these games. Hope it gets an English localization

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will they at least give you the option of using your own CDs on the Steam version for those of us who still have optical drives?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I couldn't find a review thread, so I'll post this here... I helped my buddies over Ultra N Podcast, producing the review (I've played the games and wrote the script. Daniel is narrating it) PT-BR content 🇧🇷

In summary, the games themselves weren't much changed from what I could gather (I never played the originals myself, but I looked up to make direct comparisons); But they did add some features like Fast Forward (that speed up the whole game, by the way), High Definition dialogue boxes and there's a remastered soundtrack option for Monster Rancher 2 (not on 1 tho, strangely); --My gripes will remain on the lack of displaying options, with no chance to disable the borders;

Otherwise, the games are exactly like you remember. With the CD summoning feature included; There's a robust searching option, so you can find pretty much every PS1 game, lots of Music CDs (including some newer ones), a whole bunch of SEGA Saturn games and even the whole Switch library seems to be present. Of course, you can also generate a random code to summon monsters, if you want to.

I think it's a good deal, especially because this CD gimmick thing is preserved somewhat and that's important; The amount of enjoyment you take from the core games comes from if you really enjoy pet simulators (more than battleling). 🐾

Last edited:

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

day one fucking day one day one day one

one more dream comes true oh thank god