• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I wouldn't say it's super-common, I've seen a number of comments in various threads as well as other forms of social media of people openly stating their dislike of the newer Pokémon & that they prefer the original 151. More often than not, I was unable to find these people stating their reasons for their dislike. So I was hoping to gauge some of your opinions to gain a better understand about where you guys come from with this question, what don't you like about the other 656 (as of when this thread was made) Pokémon compared to the first 151?

Of course, please keep things civil. I'm mainly trying to gauge opinions here, not start a war.

The Heape

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was the only one I really played and I was watching the show every day as well. I grew to have an emotional attachment and intimate knowledge of the 151. Once they started flooding in all the others I became lost.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I just remember them better. I don't like them better per se.

Every gen has the top tier mons which everybody remembers. It's the mid tier that makes or breaks a gen.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combo of generations 1 & 2 add up to be my favorites and that's probably just nostalgia. I think every generation has merit in their designs though. Garchomp is one of my favorites. Tapu Koko, Zekrom, Lilligant, Staraptor, Empoleon, are just examples of some of my favorites...so I know the thread isn't targeted at me but don't spit out that genwunner nonsense like "the designs are just better. I mean, who asked for a trash bag Pokémon?"....there are examples of lame designs in every gen.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't hate the new ones or anything, but there are way too many mystical ancient all powerful super rare legendary pokemon that are on the box or part of the main story.

Edit: Although I like the gen 2 pokemon in general, and there are designs in the newer ones that I like too, even if I think they are in general less memorable, at least for the types of pokemon I like to have in my team.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I memorized the first 151 and that was enough. I don't have anything against the newer Pokemon, but I don't see them as necessary.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm not personally in that camp, but I don't think their argument is "I hate ALL other gen pokemon" so much as "other gens aren't as consistently good/creative as gen 1". There are just a lot more lazy additions and filler designs to later gens, and they for whatever reason become over-detailed when simplicity does well. This picture I thikn gets that point across.

But even with the simpler Gen 1 designs (like Psyduck or Grimer, off the top of my head) Gen 1 at least had the benefits of being both first and old, so many can be forgiven whereas they may not be as accepted if those designs were introduced as-is in later gens.

At least, that's what I think. There are a lot of gens I know nothing about, I pretty much took a break from the series between Ruby and Moon.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A lot of the new Pokemon look like Digimon to me. Like Bisharp and Tyrantrum. The others are ice cream cones, anchors, or sword and shields. I miss the days when pokemon were based on magnets, pokeballs and piles of sludge.

I like the Kanto-Hoenn Pokemon the best, then the DP pokemon aside from some of the crappier evo's like Lickylicky. After that they all became a weird mix of designs, shapes and sizes. If you didn't know they were pokemon you'd assume they were from some other game.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine anyone hating all 656 "new" Pokemon. There'd have to at least a dozen per gen that any fan could like.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While I prefer the designs of the first and second gens, I don't hate the rest. I just think they started to get weaker since then.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
There are plenty of Pokemon beyond the original 151 that I like, but I prefer the first two generations overall because 1) they feel more grounded in their world, and 2) that sweet watercolor-style artwork

I think it's less about the first 151, rather the amount of terrible designs that have been added since then. The original 151 had some poor designs too like Voltorb, Magnemite, etc., so I'd get rid of all the nonsense that don't resemble real animals or at least get rid of crap like Chandelure and the literal trash Pokemon. I'd like for Pokemon to be grounded in some reality, something believable and not freaking Luvdisc..

Is this bait? These are all great designs!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's less about the first 151, rather the amount of terrible designs that have been added since then. The original 151 had some poor designs too like Voltorb, Magnemite, etc., so I'd get rid of all the nonsense that don't resemble real animals or at least get rid of crap like Chandelure and the literal trash Pokemon. I'd like for Pokemon to be grounded in some reality, something believable and not freaking Luvdisc..

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a lot of people won't have a solid answer that actually considers design and aesthetics and things like that. I imagine it's just that people played red and blue as kids, and then maybe played gold and silver, but then after that you're a teenager now and it's not as cool to like pokemon so a lot of people get out of it and never get back into it. And even if you did play ruby and sapphire they don't feel as connected as rby/gsc do so it feels like pokemon's not really something you like anymore. That's how I felt as a kid, but then I got back into it.

But yeah, it's just that those first games took the world by storm so people have this idea in their head that that's what pokemon is even though it's bigger than that. It's probably the same way for a lot of stuff.

But I doubt many people will be able to make legitimate design arguments in favor of any gen over another.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think theyre becoming too many so cant really get used to em like gen 1 and 2. They need to stop making new monstaz

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a lack of visual/design consistency among the post Gen 1 Pokemon that I was never into. I didn't really like the Pokemon in the first gen that "stuck out" either.

Not across the board, but some look like they'd be from a different franchise/media all together.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike any, but I think we need a Pokemon extinction event to curb it down a bit.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some are cool while some suck just like the original 151. The worst are the ones with a cool design but has suck ass base stats.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
There's technically nearly 900 pokemon now if you count Mega Evolutions and alternate forms.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who enjoys various pokemon from all gens, one thing I do think they need to do is go one gen without making any more stupid forgettable fish.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid, I remembered all 150 pokemon. Knew all the words to the Pokemon rap! I remember my hype when I found Mew, a 151! And I liked that it was just this, finite number of these creatures. That I could "catch 'em all". Adding more just felt like a cash grab to me, which I mean it is, but it just made it less special to me and I wasnt about to learn a 100 more of these mothafuckas and be taken for a ride.

Now there's like 900 something? Christ I hope Switch is a back to basics reboot

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I can go along until about Ruby and Sapphire. I think after is when we get the Ice Cream and Sword pokemon..

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I think it's less about the first 151, rather the amount of terrible designs that have been added since then. The original 151 had some poor designs too like Voltorb Pidgey, Magnemite Rattata, etc., so I'd get rid of all the nonsense Fun Pokémon that don't resemble real animals or at least get rid of crap like Chandelure and the literal trash All the Gen 1 Bird Pokémon's Pokemon. I'd like for Pokemon to be grounded in some reality, something believable (No fun)and not a freaking Purple rat that turns into a bigger rat..
FTFY

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
When I was a kid, I remembered all 150 pokemon. Knew all the words to the Pokemon rap! I remember my hype when I found Mew, a 151! And I liked that it was just this, finite number of these creatures. That I could "catch 'em all". Adding more just felt like a cash grab to me, which I mean it is, but it just made it less special to me and I wasnt about to learn a 100 more of these mothafuckas and be taken for a ride.

Now there's like 900 something? Christ I hope Switch is a back to basics reboot
807 actually (656 was the number of Pokémon that Game Freak/The Pokémon Company added since the original 151).

The Heape

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about Togepi and Marill
Forgot about those guys, I like them well enough and I'm sure I could be reminded of several others from the 656 that I'm fond of as well but as far as whole generations are concerned the 151 are the only ones I care about.

I tried playing X or Y when they came out because I was interested in the fact they had gen 1 starters but I got lost in all the new Pokemon and the cross "type" and totally new types. I'm hopeful I can get back into it when the switch version releases.

Wasn't a fan of the DS's they cramped this meat paws of mine.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
What are you talking about those are the good designs? The bad ones are Jynx and... that's it. I was going to say Mr. Mime, but I actually like him now.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
While the originals had some dumb designs, most looked like something real. Now, every new Pokemon reveal I see, I can't tell what it is, or its just over-designed. I mean, it's bound to happen at 600+ though
Also, I don't care to learn any more past gen 1. I had my fun in the GB games, and that was it. Never wanted to try out anything following Red/Blue/Yellow.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I can go along until about Ruby and Sapphire. I think after is when we get the Ice Cream and Sword pokemon..
Dog you aren't joKing right.... there's literally two evos in gen 1 that are as follow:
Bird -> Bigger Bird
Or
Bird -> Bigger Bird -> Biggest Bird

Aegislash is at least a cool idea

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
While the originals had some dumb designs, most looked like something real. Now, every new Pokemon reveal I see, I can't tell what it is, or its just over-designed. I mean, it's bound to happen at 600+ though
Also, I don't care to learn any more past gen 1. I had my fun in the GB games, and that was it. Never wanted to try out anything following Red/Blue/Yellow.
Why are are all of you intrested in Zero Fun Pokémon that are just animals like where is y'alls whimsy it's a kiddo rpg not Super Special Animal Catcher DX

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Honestly I think bug pokemon have some of the best designs out of any type. For something that should be lame they put a lot of effort into making them good.

Some of them are very cool, but now we have like 4 Butterfly pokemon, 5 moth pokemon, a whole bunch of spiders and early worms, etc. They just started doing a lot of the same things over and over.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos