• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first 2 gens a lot. After that something about the design philosophy shifted. I can't quite place my finger on it but it felt like a lot of the new pokemon were from a different series. Like they could've been digimon or something. I still like a lot of the newer ones, but starting with gen 3 it just didn't have that appeal where it felt like every monster was even worth remembering.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Hey guys remember this pokemon:

597-Ferroseed.png

I'd wager most people won't, it's just an example of how bad and forgettable some pokemon designs were. In fact if you didn't know this was a pokemon, you'd think it's from any other generic JRPG enemy.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I just only know the original. I know some others but could never tell you what generation they are from. Every time I play I new Pokémon game it is an overload.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I've played at least one Pokémon game in every gen. For me, it's not even just preferring the original 151, but also the gen 2 Pokémon as well. It's just nostalgia and growing up with them, I knew them all and watched the anime.

I don't dislike the new Pokémon or think they are bad, I'm just not heavily invested in the series so none of them end up being memorable to me

Oct 25, 2017
Most item based pokemon make more sense now as they're often ghost types. Still not my preference, I'll always prefer the animals more, but it's better than just not having any reasoning behind it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's less about the first 151, rather the amount of terrible designs that have been added since then. The original 151 had some poor designs too like Voltorb, Magnemite, etc., so I'd get rid of all the nonsense that don't resemble real animals or at least get rid of crap like Chandelure and the literal trash Pokemon. I'd like for Pokemon to be grounded in some reality, something believable and not freaking Luvdisc..
Those are great Pokemon, especially Chandelure. It's a ghost Pokemon and the flames burn by using souls. They literally suck the life out of you.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For me it was the only one I really played and I was watching the show every day as well. I grew to have an emotional attachment and intimate knowledge of the 151. Once they started flooding in all the others I became lost.

This for me as well. I also liked collecting the original sets of pokemon cards as well. Once they kept adding pokemon it killed my interest in that as well.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017

597-Ferroseed.png

I'd wager most people won't, it's just an example of how bad and forgettable some pokemon designs were. In fact if you didn't know this was a pokemon, you'd think it's from any other generic JRPG enemy.
This is so obviously bait like dog I remember this lil dude especially when he turned into this:
598Ferrothorn.png

Seriously Ferrothorn is an example of well designed Pokémon it's unique in visuals design presents Pokémon as distinctly other worldly kinds of things and is a great pokemon to boot
Like you want a generic design here's one for you:
016Pidgey.png

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
every pokemon generation has great designs and junk designs

the newer generations lean greater overall than the old ones did

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugly.
Most are now resembling robots or inanimate objects instead of the more "natural" and animalistic looking ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Those are great Pokemon, especially Chandelure. It's a ghost Pokemon and the flames burn by using souls. They literally suck the life out of you.
It would be cool to play a fan game that takes the Pokedex entries into consideration and put it into the world.

All this Pokemon talk makes me want to boot up Pokemon Zeta again. I felt like I played enough today, but this thread really makes me want to go back in.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
This is so obviously bait like dog I remember this lil dude especially when he turned into this:
598Ferrothorn.png

Seriously Ferrothorn is an example of well designed Pokémon it's unique in visuals design presents Pokémon as distinctly other worldly kinds of things and is a great pokemon to boot
Like you want a generic design here's one for you:
016Pidgey.png
Pidgey is so much better

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there are winners and losers every generation.

I really don't know why they don't keep the winners instead of inventing new spins on zubat and ratata and pidgey.

Keep the good Pokémon and have them persist each gen instead of having 700+ Pokémon.

Oct 26, 2017

597-Ferroseed.png

Ferroseed. Checkmate.

And what are you on about. Ferroseed and its evolution is one of the best designs in the series.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine a lot of people won't have a solid answer that actually considers design and aesthetics and things like that. I imagine it's just that people played red and blue as kids, and then maybe played gold and silver, but then after that you're a teenager now and it's not as cool to like pokemon so a lot of people get out of it and never get back into it. And even if you did play ruby and sapphire they don't feel as connected as rby/gsc do so it feels like pokemon's not really something you like anymore. That's how I felt as a kid, but then I got back into it.

But yeah, it's just that those first games took the world by storm so people have this idea in their head that that's what pokemon is even though it's bigger than that. It's probably the same way for a lot of stuff.

But I doubt many people will be able to make legitimate design arguments in favor of any gen over another.

Yeah Chandalure is absolutely terrible, like why couldn't it have the flame in the light be the face as the spirit posessing the light fixture? But the lamp itself has eyes? And just yellow beads? Just bad.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

597-Ferroseed.png

You could have posted the ice cream one or the garbage one or the keychain or ...

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
I have Gen 4 nostalgia, everything after and before is trash. (Diamond was my first game).

No but seriously every generation has both great and really bad stuff; Gen 4 has the GOAT fire starter Infernape, but it also has Rhyperior. I don't get the hate for stuff like Chandelure and Aegislash, though, they look really cool.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

597-Ferroseed.png

This Pokemon's evolution is one of the best designed Pokemon from Gen 5 and was one of the best Pokemon to use in Gen 5 competitive battling. Everyone who played Gen V remembers freaking Ferrothorn.

Where do you even get your information...

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
For me its not that I dont like them, its that I dont have any emotional attachment to them. Gen 1 and to some extent 2 were a huge part of my childhood.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 151 were the OG crew. I remember all of them. I played Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow repeatedly. Saw the first Pokemon movie in theaters when I was 11-12y/o.

There's just so much in memories tied to the original 151. Also, I don't find gen 3 and up to have the same wow factor that the 151 had.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon needs a Thanos.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This Pokemon's evolution is one of the best designed Pokemon from Gen 5 and was one of the best Pokemon to use in Gen 5 competitive battling. Everyone who played Gen V remembers freaking Ferrothorn.

Where do you even get your information...
Yea, picking like crygonal would have been a Better example.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

597-Ferroseed.png

Its evolution is very common in online play and in smogon play, so I imagine a lot of people know who it is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If people want to cut half the pokemon, there are going to be gen 1's in there too. Be careful what you wish for.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only fine with Pokemon if they're added at the begining of a gen. Nothing lile Ultra Sun/Moons bonus 5 monsters for whatever reason.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Most criticisms that can be leveled at Pokemon from the latter 656 can be just as readily leveled at certain Gen I Pokemon too; conversely, any merit that Gen I possesses can be found in every other gen as well. For a franchise as large and old as it is, Pokemon has been remarkably consistent over the years.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I think the original designs and some from Gen 2 are relatively simple and grounded compared with what was to come. It also helped that the concept was still fresh.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I mostly age with cyber Sai, I like Pokemon from all gens but after Gen 3 there seems to be more forgettable than iconic ones .

Yes Gen 1 has forgettable designs but at least those get a bump for being first while the others don't even have that. Who cares about butterfree #3 from other gens really.