• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Screen_Shot_2018-02-25_at_11.26.07_AM.png

http://www.ndcube.co.jp/game/index.html
So, does this mean that the main Animal Crossing team (EPD Group 2) is working on the franchise's Switch entry? At the very least, it shows what they've worked on in the interim between The Top 100 and a hypothetical Mario Party Switch.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Even though i didn't love Pocket Camp....it has to be the most I've enjoyed an ND Cube game. Good for them because it seems like Pocket Camp has been a moderate success.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
They did a good job capturing the AC feel. Pocket Camp has more of what I like in AC than HHD does and seeing Animal Crossing in HD is quite nice (I never played the board game or plaza).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm not really hyped about this because the tight dev timelines ND Cube seems to have has led to some especially mediocre or bad games like Amiibo Festival or Top 100. Or shoehorning Amiibo into Mario Party 10.

They can make good party games ignoring people's fixation on the car in Mario Party but their worst stuff seems to come from lack of time.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure that the main staffers for Animal Crossing have been coming up with ideas for the Switch game for a while, but who knows if they were given enough manpower to make a whole video game prior to last year. I'm sure a lot of EPD resources went to BotW, SMO, Arms, and Splatoon 2.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy pocket camp quite a bit, but I sure would enjoy an actual Mario Party with online or another full fledged Animal Crossing more.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo needs to get back to what made Animal Crossing Gamecube so memorable and expand that into a robust experience.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
More importantly (than that they made Mario Party), they made Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, so not their first work on the franchise.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
well, if you need a game to be a shallow, lifeless representation of what the main series was like, nd cube is the developer for the job

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nintendo needs to get back to what made Animal Crossing Gamecube so memorable and expand that into a robust experience.

Huh? This is just a mobile game, it's not a reflection as to what Animal Crossing is as a series today.

Also, they're topped the GameCube one multiple times. The 3DS entry is unquestionably the best in the series.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Maybe the secondary staffers were working on Splatoon and other EPD games during that time.

If I had to speculate -- and this is nothing more than that -- Nintendo had plans for a mildly updated version of New Leaf on Wii U much like they did for Wild World on Wii with City Folk. But decided it wasn't worth "wasting" a mainline entry on the Wii U when it was clear that the console was dead

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
If I had to speculate -- and this is nothing more than that -- Nintendo had plans for a mildly updated version of New Leaf on Wii U much like they did for Wild World on Wii with City Folk. But decided it wasn't worth "wasting" a mainline entry on the Wii U when it was clear that the console was dead

I'm fairly certain I read something in the New Leaf Iwata Asks or somewhere similar that the Animal Crossing team had learned from the City Folk experience (it had pretty disappointing sales compared to Wild World and New Leaf) and were looking to make a more robust, ground-up experience if they went back to consoles again. Whether that means they were planning out something like that or they were always just going to skip the Wii U entirely is harder to say. Can't confirm this at the moment because for some reason Iwata Asks isn't loading for me right now, so I unfortunately can't get the exact language they used.

Oct 26, 2017
The Pocket Camp salt in this thread is hilarious, I'm sure almost none of you actually put more than a few days into the game before dismissing it entirely, when F2P mobile games usually take months to build what the game actually is. I'm level 86 in PC, have new awesome content every week to work towards, and am still finding new ways to decorate my camp and camper.
755_EC28_A_4184_4605_8_FDB_C2_E06_ECE36_A7.png

CF232_DE8_A134_46_FC_A129_65_C28_FE95_E51.png

Once you get to the high levels, it really becomes true AC. ND cube has even added things that have never been in the AC franchise (such as dressing up villagers)

They're doing an excellent job. I suggest checking out /r/ACPocketCamp to see how creative the tools in PC allow you to be. My camp is a bit crowded (I blame crappier smartphone limitations.. this game runs on a potato), but other camps on that subreddit are pretty awesome and unique.

Last edited:

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
More importantly (than that they made Mario Party), they made Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, so not their first work on the franchise.

That's quite evident when you compare the small scenes you would get in amiibo festival to the ones you get in pocket camp. I think they ported a lot of assets and animations over.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fairly certain I read something in the New Leaf Iwata Asks or somewhere similar that the Animal Crossing team had learned from the City Folk experience (it had pretty disappointing sales compared to Wild World and New Leaf) and were looking to make a more robust, ground-up experience if they went back to consoles again. Whether that means they were planning out something like that or they were always just going to skip the Wii U entirely is harder to say. Can't confirm this at the moment because for some reason Iwata Asks isn't loading for me right now, so I unfortunately can't get the exact language they used.
Switch isn't really a "console" in the way the Wii U was though, so a New Leaf style game with a few improvements would work just fine.