• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

here's a list of all the games that were announced/shown at the event:
  • ARMS
  • 1-2-Switch
  • Splatoon 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Flip Wars
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
  • Project Octopath Traveler
  • Super Bomberman R
  • Fast RMX
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
  • Dragon Quest X
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Forces
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • FIFA 18
  • Minecraft
  • Minecraft: Story Mode
  • I Am Setsuna
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Just Dance 2017
  • NBA 2k18
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Farming Simulator
  • Skylanders Imaginators
  • Rayman Legends
  • Has Been Heroes
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Disgaea 5
  • RIME
  • Steep (cancelled)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (unreleased)

- what did you think about the lineup back then?
- were you sold on the system after that presentation?
- which game ended up surprising you and which one ended up being a disappointment?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oooppss. i accidentally posted the thread before it was finished. i'll finish the OP asap.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Man that Breath of the Wild trailer is still so good.

Pretty much bought my Switch on the back of that alone.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It was bizarre in retrospect that they announced what we would come to know as Shin Megami Tensei V so early. There is a theory I have seen that Atlus did that because of the flood of Persona spin-offs that were coming, so people wouldn't think mainline is dead.

The fact that they're using Unreal for it was a big deal too, as that was unexpected for Atlus.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Shin Megami Tensei V (unreleased)

They haven't made it official yet, but it's now actually a Metroid x Persona Idol Music RPG game

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Remember when this was when you numbskulls thought that the Switch was going to bomb because it wasn't the "Supah Hardcore Nintendo box" you wanted? Remember when everybody was triggered that games like 1-2 Switch, ARMS, and Joy-Con exist? Remember when this would "Bomb harder than the Wii U"... Peperage Farm remembers.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei V (unreleased)

They haven't made it official yet, but it's now actually a Metroid x Persona Idol Music RPG game
k0jPoN6.gif

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
From that list, I ended up getting:
  • Splatoon 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
  • Project Octopath Traveler
And I'm happy with the quality of these games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was pretty intrigued by the system, although nothing was must have at the time of launch, not even BOTW (I knew I would enjoy it but I was okay with waiting). I got a Switch that August when they restocked at GameStop and Sonic Mania was out. That was when I really fell in love with it, I knew portable gaming was a great fit for me but I was just so thrilled to have HD console games in the palm of my hands. If the quality of games keep coming, it has the potential to be my favorite Nintendo console.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Arms is one of the most under rated fighting games out there. It's a ton of fun.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
To this day I don't understand how people thought a system with a new form factor and BotW, MK8, SMO, Splatoon 2 and others in its first year would bomb and be DOA.

It was a fantastic line up for the first year. Even Xenoblade Chronicles 2 managed to release in DEC.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how I'm already a little nostalgic for the Switch launch period. I'm starting to miss my red and blue joy-cons now, maybe I'll finally repair them...

That launch year was solid. I got BotW, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 each on launch day, and MK8D at some point that summer. I still want to buy ARMS; I was really, really intrigued by the reveal trailer and had a good time with the global test punch.

As for the conference itself, I remember finding the first half charming, spacing out during the third party stuff, and losing my mind during the Zelda trailer. Overall a good time, though being a huge fan of Splatoon and Xenoblade contributed quite a bit to that.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
"The Switch only has 1 launch title, it's going to bomb!" Come on, you know what you said after the presentation.

Rating all the revealed titles (N/A denotes that I haven't played the game):
  • ARMS: 6/10
  • 1-2-Switch: 4/10
  • Splatoon 2: 8/10
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 10/10
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 6/10
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 9/10
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 4/10
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: 6/10
  • Flip Wars: N/A
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!: 7/10
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers: N/A
  • Project Octopath Traveler: 6/10
  • Super Bomberman R: 6/10
  • Fast RMX: N/A
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes: N/A
  • Dragon Quest X: N/A
  • Dragon Quest XI: 9/10
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2: N/A
  • Sonic Mania: 8/10
  • Sonic Forces: 4/10
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris: N/A
  • FIFA 18: N/A
  • Minecraft: 8/10
  • Minecraft: Story Mode: N/A
  • I Am Setsuna: N/A
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 7/10
  • Just Dance: N/A
  • NBA 2k18: N/A
  • Lego City Undercover: N/A
  • Farming Simulator: N/A
  • Skylanders Imaginators: N/A
  • Rayman Legends: N/A
  • Has Been Heroes: N/A
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2: N/A
  • Disgaea 5: N/A
  • RIME: N/A
I've stated before that 2017 wasn't a particularly good year for Nintendo's lineup, and that 2019 was better. While we do like to joke on the "Switch has no games! Nintendoomed!" meme for 2017's lineup, the issue was that Nintendo's lineup for the year was largely based on a few tentpole releases (BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2) - so if one of those games ended up being disappointing, the year would really suffer. And boy, were there disappointments...

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Man I remember when people insisted they botched this and the Switch was going to be another Wii U

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i ended up getting these:
  • ARMS (not a big fan, sold it)
  • Splatoon 2 (really like it, still have to play octo-expansion)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (it was alright)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (loved it)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (love it)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (great game, need to play torna)
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! (got the Plus physical version, had fun finishing it co-op, but i sold it)
  • Project Octopath Traveler (loved the demo, i have the game but haven't played it yet)
  • Super Bomberman R (got a used copy, sold it without playing it)
  • Dragon Quest XI (loved the demo, have the game but i haven't started it yet)
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris (got it for tetris, sold it after tetriss 99 marathon DLC came out)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (got a used copy, sold it without playing)
  • Rayman Legends (loved it, sold it after 100%ing it)

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when this was when you numbskulls thought that the Switch was going to bomb because it wasn't the "Supah Hardcore Nintendo box" you wanted? Remember when everybody was triggered that games like 1-2 Switch, ARMS, and Joy-Con exist? Remember when this would "Bomb harder than the Wii U"... Peperage Farm remembers.

I'm a Switch-only gamer and I thought it was going to bomb. I'm so glad I was wrong, but if the system had flopped, you could have traced many reasons why back to that presentation.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of new info on SMT V pushed me towards selling my Switch. There was nothing exclusive I wanted to play on the system after Three Houses. I regret that decision now because Persona 5 Scramble looks really good.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man I remember when people insisted they botched this and the Switch was going to be another Wii U

Yup. Won't lie, I was slightly hesitant to preorder after the conference, but rewatching the Zelda trailer convinced me. And three years on the system is at like 50 million sold or so. An insane comeback.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't all that impressed as I could play BotW on Wii U, so I didn't get a Switch until Mario Odyssey was out along with Mario+Rabbids.

I eventually ended up getting Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris from that list though, good games!

2018 was better, thanks to the indies.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I'm a Switch-only gamer and I thought it was going to bomb. I'm so glad I was wrong, but if the system had flopped, you could have traced many reasons why back to that presentation.

I mean, after the Wii U, I couldn't blame people for getting skeptical. Still, it was hillarious watching people rage and whine that a piece of plastic didn't come out the way they wanted. Like, lol, chill bro, it's a video game.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
People put way too much importance in a presentation in japanese at 3 am morning east cost for shareholders.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hmmm, I simply love this console. Always longed for a mix between the 3DS's software with hardware relatively closer to what the Vita did at its release. I pretty much got what I wanted and then some. Docked mode is such a nice bonus and adds flexibility I didn't know I wanted. It's great looking back at the Switch's reveal and launch and to see how far the system's come.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lack of new info on SMT V pushed me towards selling my Switch. There was nothing exclusive I wanted to play on the system after Three Houses. I regret that decision now because Persona 5 Scramble looks really good.
Did you need cash or something? Why sell it? Definitely seems short-sighted. SMTV could still well be coming to the system and there's always a strong chance for other games that could leave you glad to own the system and you wouldn't have wound up in the situation you're in with P5S. It's not even like it takes up a load of space. Was it just a tanty?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe that I woke up to watch this. I mean it was worth it but man it definitely wasn't meant for a worldwide audience clearly.

But yeah the presentation itself is only part of the story of course. The next 50 days I think it was until release were also something else indeed.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Easily my favourite year in gaming ever. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, Kingdom Battle, Odyssey, Splatoon, Xenoblade, etc.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize (remembered?) they showed so many incredible games in that first presentation.

Not that it mattered. Once I saw BotW I was in.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I didn't realize (remembered?) they showed so many incredible games in that first presentation.

Not that it mattered. Once I saw BotW I was in.

Yeah that's the thing. On paper, this was an amazing event. It showed off a ton of really great announcements. BotW trailer and being a launch title, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, SMT V, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS. The only thing that held it back was the awkward third party segment and mostly dry presentation.

Yet, all people could think about was how it wasn't the hardcore gamer's Nintendo box they wanted because Nintendo dared to show us ARMS, 1-2 Switch, and Joy-Con features. Yes, How dare Nintendo show us games for people who aren't us. We superior ERA gamers must have everything conform to what we want.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
That Goddamm BOTW trailer. Never much a Nintendo fan(or any company fan really) but that trailer got me to my core.
and hey that game is a Goat too.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I remember trying to sleep the night the night of the event, but I was too excited and ended up waking up in the middle of the night and watching it regardless.
After that BotW trailer, you can imagine I had a hard time going back to sleep.

Also after almost 3 years I finally got myself a Switch (Lite), so it was a looong time coming for me.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
BotW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 are still, to this day, the best games on the system imo.

I remember a lot people was so sure Xenoblade 2 would get delayed lol. Also that we wouldn't get SMT in years, that was right :(

Arms was fine for a while but the lack of content made me drop it quite soon.

Octopath and Travis Strikes Again were very disappointing.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Feel free to delete if this is inappropriate, but this event always makes me think back to when a Kinda Funny alumn literally seethed with rage from his disappointment over the reveal and then threw a tantrum when BOTW reviewed so well. It was bizarre, hilarious and satisfying.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to delete if this is inappropriate, but this event always makes me think back to when a Kinda Funny alumn literally seethed with rage from his disappointment over the reveal and then threw a tantrum when BOTW reviewed so well. It was bizarre, hilarious and satisfying.

Colin Moriarty? Yeah, that guy's a prick.

Oct 27, 2017
Thread brought back memories to all the wacky shit people were saying before the Switch launched. I definitely remember a heated debate on whether or not 1-2-Switch and ARMS being presented the way they were "ruined" the perception of the Switch out of the gate.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I liked the look of the unit itself. The games were a little underwhelming, particularly trying to posit Skyrim as a system seller 6 years after its launch (though I eventually bought it any played it a lot).

Mario Odyssey looked tasty.