• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Halo_2_Logo.png

On November 9th, 2004, Bungie released the sequel to Halo and completely changed the console gaming landscape. Often called the pioneer of the modern online multiplayer experience, Halo 2's legacy can be seen in the video game generations that would follow. One of the first Xbox games to feature a complete suite of online features, like Matchmaking, customizable emblems, clans, and a robust matchmaking ranking system that made players wanting to use their 2 month Xbox Live cards to boost their friends!

maxresdefault.jpg

Did you get Halo 2 at launch, even though it was in a release window that was jam packed with games like MGS 3, San Andreas, and Half Life 2?

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
And the first midnight launch too.
I member'

I just wish we got to play the level which was shown at E3.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The Best Halo Game. I remember staying home to play it.

One of the few sequels I can recall being everything I wanted and more.
I wish I could easily play OG Halo 2 online with SMG starts without needing a whole 16 person custom lobby.

OP
OP
Cort

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
The Best Halo Game. I remember staying home to play it.

One of the few sequels I can recall being everything I wanted and more.
I wish I could easily play OG Halo 2 online with SMG starts without needing a whole 16 person custom lobby.

I wish I could rocket/sword jump out of maps again with friends as we explore the unknown

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember when or how I got Halo 2. I just remember seeing the initial demo and being like "You can hijack vehicles?" and then the game suddenly materialized in my house.

Reminded me of the old days when you had to buy map packs from an actual store.

Oct 27, 2017
Went to EB Games around 9:30PM thinking we'd be near the front of the line. Boy were we wrong...

Man I love Halo 2. Probably the game I've spent the most amount of time in.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The first midnight launch I went to unaccompanied by my parents, the first time I ever had Starbucks in hopes it would help me stay awake, and an absolutely miserable day of high school to follow on complete sleep deprivation and wanting nothing more to go back home and continue playing.

Also, admittedly, the last time I saw Halo as one of the best franchises in gaming. There was a certain disillusionment over the long term about how much different the game turned out compared to pre-release media, including even that long-form playable demo, and also it was one of my first big exposures to the toxicity of online gaming -- it served as one of my personal culture shocks of just how rotten-minded many gamers are, with the constant exposure to just nasty behavior online in that game in particular. There were other games back then that were clear indicators that existed at the time, but I didn't really play on PC back then and Halo 2 served as my first huge foray into online gaming, preceded only by PSO on Dreamcast which I played pretty much exclusively with RL friends.

But that was just my experience with the game, and that's only in hindsight. This very day 15 years ago, I was very excited.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being there at the midnight launch. Bought the steel case edition.

I was surprised to see that many people standing in line at midnight for a game ... Looooong ass line.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was the second person in line at my local EB Games. This was the game that finally proved that videogames were mainstream and bigger than Hollywood productions. I skipped school for this release and to this day I have no regrets about that.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First midnight launch for me. Truly one of the best mp games of all time, and the start of matchmaking.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Halo 2 released at a very weird time for me. I was in college, but was rapidly checking out of gaming. Online gaming with a console wasn't huge yet, so I played Halo for the single-player campaign. Between it, and Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Fable (all releasing around the same time), I felt absolutely burned and checked out of gaming for years afterwards. None of those games were bad, but at $60 each and being a poor college student, being disappointed by all of them left a bad taste in my mouth.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worked at Gamestop for the midnight release.

After everyone left, all 5-6 of us working that night took one of the opened copies and stuck it in the xbox demo united and played MP for a while.

Good times.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
One of my Top Five of all time. Picked it up at midnight with my mom at Blockbuster Gamerush. There was a raffle for a H2 hat that I lost, and my mom paid $20 to the guy for it.
Awesome memory. Love that game. One of the few games in history to exceed my hype.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Got this at midnight launch and have never been more disappointed in a sequel for which I was over-the-moon hyped.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I remember I was 9 years old when this came out and I didn't know there was even a Halo 2 that was on the horizon. I remember playing Halo 1 like crazy and doing all the fun glitches and campaign with my cousins. Then when I came back from school one day my older cousin said he was playing Halo but it didn't look the same. He showed me the metal box it came in and the rest was history.

Good god was it fun to do the multiplayer glitches and the wacky glitches in the story mode like the Scarab Gun and warthog wars. Sure the campaign want as good and the cliffhanger was killer, but i enjoyed it for what it is. The only thing that topped the multiplayer fun of Halo 2 with my cousins was Halo 3.
But I'd be damned if I didn't have fond memories of Halo 2.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Nov 9 is a date that I doubt I ever forget. The hype for Halo 2 was insane at the time, I remember people at night school talking about it and seeing lines for the first time for a game. I bought it and enjoyed some local multiplayer with a friend. I also played some xbox live at a friends since I didn't have it.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time! I remember literally playing it for 3 days straight when it came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic, but OP wasn't kidding about that release window. San Andreas was two weeks before Halo 2, and MSG 3 and Half-Life 2 came out a week after.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Happy b-day to the GOAT game! Perhaps the biggest most important day in gaming!

Also, for those who haven't seen this.....

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Got it when it released. I was in 9th grade. It's easily the game I invested the most online play into...ever. I sucked, but it was lots of fun playing with my friends. Good times. I'm not into online shooters anymore, mainly because I am trash, so I'm glad I was able to experience the scene for a while with this game.