• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Im just annoyed that Definitive Edition wouldnt be on PC, unless Capcom feels generous enough when the time comes to do a Switch port they would include PC too

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The second best Devil May Cry game.
Don't @ me if you are wrong and disagree

If the game didn't have the Devil May Cry brand on it, would've been received much differently

I mean, saying that is essentially meaningless. It wouldn't have gotten the budget or probably even a green-light if it weren't called Devil May Cry.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pdmxiklI3A1tovmb9o7_250.gifv

It was ok.

The funniest thing was the press trying to shame the hardcore DMC fans to purchase this game lmao, even Jim Sterling joined the fun back when he was on Destructoid.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a great game, and i like dmc 3,4, and 5 quite a bit. watching og fans get salty about it will never not be entertaining.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
people been dunking on the gameplay even more for how much of a downgrade it was from its direct predecessors
I see people dunking on the gameplay all the time, which I've no problem with. This is an action game, so make whatever complaints about the gameplay you want. But even more often? People complaining about the story.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Its a great game, and i like dmc 3,4, and 5 quite a bit. watching og fans get salty about it will never not be entertaining.
But the people who wanted more of it and aren't getting it are the only ones salty enough to keep making threads about it, though.
I see people dunking on the gameplay all the time, which I've no problem with. This is an action game, so make whatever complaints about the gameplay you want. But even more often? People complaining about the story.
The belief that they would be able to come up with a great story factoring into why Ninja Theory were chosen to develop it plays into why that aspect is given so much flack.
I mean, DMC2 introduced Bloody Palace, multiple playable characters, a cool Dante design and the precursor to the style system.

I can't think one thing DmC did good.
A training mode, and apparently the use of dynamic soundtrack tied to style rank.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
My favorite part is when you climb the boxes in the evil soda pop factory. Sick gameplay ::devil horns:: FUCK the corporations

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Fantastic game and would have been recognized as such if it hadn't come at the expense of a proper DMC5.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Had more fun with DmC than DMC5. V was not very fun to play as and the level design was quite boring in comparison. I also enjoyed just playing as Dante in DmC, I'm not really a fan of switching heroes with different movesets.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It was a Really Good Game, and I enjoyed it much more than any other Western developed character action game. I don't think it holds up compared to the good DMCs or any other top tier Japanese character action game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
That's anecdotal at best, most of this thread has been complaints about how DmC plays worse, a lot of the conversation from the fanbase has been pointing out how nah it isn't the white hair, it's the gameplay that's worse.

Furthermore, it's also a product of expectations. When the developer felt so proud to dunk on what DMC was a series and pitch themselves as improving the story for a modern audience, only to you know, do something even worse without the cheese n wackyness people like about the series, yeah it's going to get shit on. It's the difference between why people dig the Fast n the Furious movies vs why Transformers is called straight trash.

The reason no one brings it up with NG3 is because, Ryu is a brick. That said plenty of people have used n abused the "remember when the enemies in ninja gaiden are scared of you, what a betrayal to the tone of ninja gaiden" meme to death, because that's a tone one associates with NG's enemies. Ruthless ass mother fuckers.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Whew there are some takes in here I didn't think I'd ever see

the main thing DmC did for me was get me into the series enough to see how superior the others are, I guess I enjoyed it well enough, but the writing was pretty bad.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
The story doesnt need to be amazing or even good, since no dmc has a good one, but the context for you playing the videogame should at least be cool and good. Dante in DmC is a massive prick, and imbecile that is not cool nor fun to watch or listen to. Many time i just let the controller idle so i could watch him die. Game's aren't just mechanics, personality is important, so people complaining about that are 100% justified.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
My ranking has stayed the same even after 5 (pretty much)
3 > DmC:DE = 5 >>> 4 >>> 1

They really need to hire a (good) writer for the DMC series.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta has a training mode and DmC's soundtrack is forgettable.
I'm referring to features being added to Devil May Cry specifically, not what anyone else beat them to doing. Wasn't bothering to vouch for the quality of DmC's soundtrack either, rather than point out where using layers by style while playing it came from.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's anecdotal at best, most of this thread has been complaints about how DmC plays worse, a lot of the conversation from the fanbase has been pointing out how nah it isn't the white hair, it's the gameplay that's worse.

Furthermore, it's also a product of expectations. When the developer felt so proud to dunk on what DMC was a series and pitch themselves as improving the story for a modern audience, only to you know, do something even worse without the cheese n wackyness people like about the series, yeah it's going to get shit on. It's the difference between why people dig the Fast n the Furious movies vs why Transformers is called straight trash.

The reason no one brings it up with NG3 is because, Ryu is a brick. That said plenty of people have used n abused the "remember when the enemies in ninja gaiden are scared of you, what a betrayal to the tone of ninja gaiden" meme to death, because that's a tone one associates with NG's enemies. Ruthless ass mother fuckers.
Yeah, I think most Devil May Cry fans don't care about the story. It's always been bad. I'm there for the over the top action cutscenes, and spending hundreds of hours perfecting my technique at what is basically a complex 3D fighting game with Tony Hawk combos and Dark Souls bosses.

The problem with the story was, Ninja theory were all "so the DMC story has always been bad right? With DmC, we're really taking story telling to the next level" (I think they even compared it to Shakespeare) and then what they gave us was:

"The evil Bob Muhndiss rules humanity through an evil soda pop corporation, he totally fucks though, we'll show you in the opening cut scene. Then we have vergil, armed with a fedora and guy fawkes mask, toting a sniper rifle, he seeks out the help of Dante to take down the evil corporations. Dante also totally drinks booze, and fucks chicks, and says fuck a lot. Oh, and he's half-angel now."

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the people who wanted more of it and aren't getting it are the only ones salty enough to keep making threads about it, though.

The belief that they would be able to come up with a great story factoring into why Ninja Theory were chosen to develop it plays into why that aspect is given so much flack.

A training mode, and apparently the use of dynamic soundtrack tied to style rank.

Lol nah, op doesnt seem salty to me, the only ones who seem like they have a problem here are people Who dislike the game and hate that other people like it. A sequel would be nice but i liked the direction they took with dmc v so im not bummed or anything:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Lol nah, op doesnt seem salty to me, the only ones who seem like they have a problem here are people Who dislike the game and hate that other people like it. A sequel would be nice but i liked the direction they took with dmc v so im not bummed or anything:
I would say the OP does appear to be an exception, yeah (they seemed more keen on watching people go at it on the subject).

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, you don't see anyone hating Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for specifically the writing when the story was literally about Ryu being a "dark hero", and was about as pretentious, and idiotic as it could possibly get, with child surrogates, curses that involved the "vengeful spirits of everyone Ryu's killed", and dumb attempts at morality, drama and plot twists. Not to mention it forced you to watch the story quite a few times, with QTEs, and walking sequences. Not quite as awful as the original release, which had walking sequences everywhere, (Plus a few scenes of you, as Ryu, being forced to kill helpless people) but still pretty terrible.

In my eyes, this is a stupid fucking reason to hate an action game with perfectly good gameplay, unless you place a massive emphasis on story (in which 90% of video games, period, don't even have a story that's remotely passable), or it literally forces you to watch the story with constant unskippable cutscenes, and walking sequences.

Oh yes, and don't forget that NG3 Ryu wasn't even a separate character from past entries, unlike El Donte.
I can make any number of snide comments as to why no one is talking about ninja gaiden 3. You can fill those blanks if you like

But no , hating on a game for having an unengaging story or characters that actively offend you and make you want to not play it isn't a shitty reason. In fact I would argue characters often the reasons people play video game. Whether its to express themselves through customization or just liking the characters and the narrative connecting or enjoying them enhances the experience, it can also take them out of it as well if done poorly.

And I think this one of the worst examples you can bring up, with DmC because the story and the gameplay are shitty for the same reason. They are just poorly done copies of a better thing. The gameplay isn't good enough to get me to play that game with no narrative context, and the story ain't good enough to carry it. And they flow into eachother with how not great each one is.

People play games for different reasons and not engaging with what you are playing with isn't shitty

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. Probably my 2nd favorite from the series. I even enjoyed it more than V which disappointed me a bit.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
Still yet to play 5 but as of now it's my favourite one by far. Really disappointed that it never got a sequel and I've never understood all the hate.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Still yet to play 5 but as of now it's my favourite one by far. Really disappointed that it never got a sequel and I've never understood all the hate.
I like it well enough, I enjoyed playing through it. But as a longtime fan, the game play was a step down from dmc4, and dmc3, thats where the hate came from imo. No lock on, dedicated launcher button, directional inputs gone, easy badly designed boss battles, easy in general tbh, no style switching, no styles at all even, less weapons, having to hold down a shoulder button to use weapons,low skill ceiling, 30fps (original), color coded enemies, lame edgy 4chan anonymous story mixed with the Slurm episode of futurama, easy to cheese style meter, lame weapons. It was just a step back in every way for the combat system, which is the main draw for the core fanbase.

Draxyle

Oct 27, 2017
Played through the entire series for the first time last year in one long marathon, including this one. It's totally okay! It's actually surprisingly inventive with its environments, movement, and art style when compared to the rest of the series.

The tone was a bit off-putting in spots and I'm glad it didn't become the standard of the series, but as a one-off you could do so much worse.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a lot, not the characters, but the gameplay was pretty good, though nothing amazing. That ending though... Ugh...

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Yikes. The amount of hate towards this game makes me sad. As a fan of DMC since the original, I would say that DmC: Definitive edition is my favourite entry in the series.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
5's combat is superior but DmC's level designs are better.
If anything, I saw DMC5's levels as better for not having DmC's heavier emphasis on platforming or its Bayonetta-style environmental shifting. Fairly simple and mainly geared toward keeping the focus on combat, which is all I wanted. After DMC3 and 4's frequent use of hazards and backtracking, the relatively straightforward nature of 5's level design was welcome.

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Never played this game or any other entry in the series but i would like to note that some of you are WAY too obsessive.

Same toxic arguments by the same individuals from the old place in ERA, 7 years after the fact. That is the highlight of this thread.

Existence of this game is not a personal slight against you or your preferences. How hard it is to accept that fact and move on ?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ah yes, the classic that was better than DMC2 by default. Gameplay was great, but despise the story and lack of respect to the original material. Thanks DmC for giving us DMCV.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Game is better than a lot of people give it credit for but also not as good as others claim.

DmC can be appreciated more now that there is no "it's either this or no DMC game" doomsday scenario. It serves as a perfectly fine spin off action game to the DMC series, not as a replacement. Quite some features in DmC made it into DMC5 so it was still very much a net positive that this game existed.

I am actually surprised it has been this long (7 years).

All of this, really.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
As someone who never played more than 30 minutes of the games preceding it... I really kinda liked it?

Never played it for more than a few hours but that's still longer than I've played any other DMC game to date. It felt accessible to newcomers, I LOVED the level and world design and thought the NOISIA OST was pretty grand too.

I get why diehards don't like it, but this was the closest I came to liking DMC

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta laugh at people who actually hate this game for the writing, of all things.

As of now, there are exactly 2 DMC games with an actually passable story. 3, and 5.

Base was just "okay". DE is solid. My ranking for the DMC games goes:

3 > 5 > 1 >= DmC > 4 > 2
I mean, I never really cared about the story in the mainline DMCs, but the fucking
sniper rifle abortion
in DmC crosses the line from "bad" to "abhorrent." That shit should not have gotten past an editor.

Gameplay wise, I think it's fine, just not as good as the main series. The art direction was genuinely top notch and honestly it was smart for Itsuno to take some cues from it for DMCV. Story aside I don't regret playing it and I don't think it's as bad as some others make it out to be.