• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
It was good game. I liked it better than 4 and 5. A little disappointed the DE version never came to pc

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
With the original series revived and back to form with DMC5, along with Ninja Theory becoming a Microsoft first-party while Capcom has since concluded that continuing it on the side themselves wouldn't be feasible, it's little more than a footnote at this point. People who wanted more of it keep revisiting the subject more than anyone else.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
The game that surpassed the original series. So accessible ad cool, giving you SSS in a non frustrating way. I loved its game design.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic action game that deserved way better. The Definitive Edition in particular is a stellar DMC game, and I'd easily place it right next to DMC3/1 as among the top games of the series.

We should have gotten DmC2 from Ninja Theory. They would have done some amazing stuff with it.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta laugh at people who actually hate this game for the writing, of all things.

As of now, there are exactly 2 DMC games with an actually passable story. 3, and 5.

Base was just "okay". DE is solid. My ranking for the DMC games goes:

3 > 5 > 1 >= DmC > 4 > 2
Capcom's claim to fame was never for having good writing though.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
With the original series revived and back to form with DMC5, along with Ninja Theory becoming a Microsoft first-party while Capcom has since concluded that continuing it on the side themselves wouldn't be feasible, it's little more than a footnote at this point. People who wanted more of it keep revisiting the subject more than anyone else.

I'm surprised we have arrived at the best possible scenario in such a situation in the video game industry much less.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man just about every single thing about that reboot turned me off.

There's a reason Itsuno san said fans have been waiting 11 years for the sequel to DMC4.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly tried to be a DMC game and was ok to me. Glad OG series is back, which is something you rarely see after a failed reboot (usually the rebooted series dies). Thank you Itsuno for DMC5!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine.

I get the feeling we all have to be nice to it these days because it'd be mean to kick it too hard now that it's been abandoned in the rain for the original series to return.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I get the feeling we all have to be nice to it these days because it'd be mean to kick it too hard now that it's been abandoned in the rain for the original series to return.
lol nah
it's booty and can stay out there

me 'n' the boys are in here, blasting devil trigger and eatin' pizza

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
It is still a dramatic downgrade (and this is even after a definitive edition) in every meaningful way from DMC 3 n 4, and now especially 5. The combat was the worse, the weapons were worse, the enemies were worse, the bosses were worse, the art direction, performance, controls, the character, the story of all things. The soundtrack was at least good in that game, but nothing slays like Devil Trigger.

On its own merits its an okay even bare minimum good action game, but it's obsolete as hell as a Devil May Cry game and was a terrible direction to take the series after 4. So yeah, fuck that game.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game's dialogue was so cringy because it took itself so seriously. It was so embarrassing. The gameplay was good, I'd put it ahead of DMC2, but behind the other three games. I'm so happy Uncle Dante is back.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look it's not as bad as people make out.

I've completed every devil may cry game and in certain areas it has quite a lot going for it.

I only played the PS4 version this so definitely I got lucky by missing the 30fps version

The truth (My truth) of the Devil May Cry Series is

Devil may Cry 2: is absolute rubbish and you shouldn't play unless your being completionist.

Devil May Cry 1: is a good game that is really showing its age. I played it at the time and loved it. I played it this year and enjoyed it. But I reckon people who didn't play it originally might struggle with it.

Devil May Cry 3 SE: Again a great game (though I prefer 1 in general atmosphere) but the game is old and feels it.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Actually probably the best old game to play. It's let down by a slightly dull atmosphere at times and the awful backtracking. Basically they didn't make enough levels during development. But it's still feels modern to play.

So other than DMC4, DmC is the only other "modern," "Devil May Cry" game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Gameplay didn't really have much on the original series (ignoring DMC2), but the level design is pretty good. The club looked and sounded amazing.

Sep 14, 2018
Remember this gem:

itsunobs.jpg

I'm not sure I can properly explain how fucking terrible this game is, so I'm not going to try.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Best thing to come out of this game

Jokes aside, I actually enjoyed the game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

The stars would definitely have to align for a DmC 2 to happen. The big one being NT being interested in doing it and MS being fine with paying for it.
Capcom would actually be the easiest aspect to handle so long as MS ponied up enough cash (Much like when MS outright bought DR3 exclusivity despite DR2's good sales on all platforms).

can we just move on already

All things considered, this thread is going better than they usually do so I think people have moved on.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The special edition is the second best Devil May Cry game behind DMC3 and ahead of DMC4.

This game is vastly underrated by people invested in the lack lackluster story when the real meat of the game, it's gameplay is among the best in the entire franchise.

Last edited:

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say that when you have nothing good to say, you better say nothing. So with that....

I had high hopes for it storywise. Loved Heavenly Sword in this regard, Enslaved did a good job as well. And I always say, how much potential I see in DMC's lore, Capcom could never deliver.
So while I was against it in general, I still hoped, it would work out.
And they really had some good ideas here and there, and there are some good scenes. But overall it is a mess and not less stupid and contradicting as the original DMC; wasted a lot of potential as well.
Phineas will always be my prime example of how lazy their writing is. And I find it hard to like at least one person of the cast.
Not so long ago I had the idea to read the prequel comic. Thought it couldn't get any worse, but well...

What am I even looking at?! XD
Best thing to come out of this game

Shit has no right to be this funny. I will never not laugh at it. :o

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I remember it had such negativity that many didn't expect a dmc5 sequel in the first place.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Okabe... R U OK? what traumatic event has made you remember DmC?? It must had been something horrible... if so... sorry man... I hope you feel good again soon!

Jokes aside

DmC was a fun game, good mechanics and had some great ideas. Sucks the PR of the game was horrible and the way they treated fans of DMC was not cool.

But if I see the game as itself, its definitely a 8.

To me here is DmC standing atm:

3 > 5 > 4 > DmC = 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

Oct 25, 2017
Donte is better than 2 and possible 4, but way inferior than the rest.
The level design and monsters are ok, the characters are really bad, and the combat is ok.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It is ok at best. It had some influence over v. I liked virgil's coat. Cant forget how the game journalism industry kinda showed its whole ass for this game. And kinda just walked past when 5 came out with the occasional snide comment.

It's a weird game that made folks act weird that I am for the most part past. I say for the most part because there are similar reactions to changes in game series today, that uh seem similar. That I have newfound perspective on.

Weird, because your avatar comes from a game with combat inferior to DmC.
...no.

Just , god no. DMC's combat is better not because it's real dmc or whatever. When you play 5 with in like 10 minutes it clicks in your brain " this is one of the best video games to like exist" from options to freedom of movement. I am confused how you can suggest that a game with combat so limited has better combat than 5.

Like no...no

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Played it on PC and it wasn't the feel of 60 FPS over there. More like 100+ FPS guaranteed, unbelievable port.

Still one of my favorite games of last gen, gameplay is so simple to handle, smooth and stylish (AND DEDICATED DODGE <3). I wish the current gen ports were in 4K, PC doesn't have Definitive content.

Actor performances were fine, but the story and cutscenes are a complete disaster. Very odd coming from Ninja Theory.

Soundtrack is fantastic.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the best game but I genuinely had fun with it.

fuck you!

soundtrack was good too.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta laugh at people who actually hate this game for the writing, of all things.

As of now, there are exactly 2 DMC games with an actually passable story. 3, and 5.

Base was just "okay". DE is solid. My ranking for the DMC games goes:

3 > 5 > 1 >= DmC > 4 > 2
I will take a dumb story that takes itself seriously and is fun over a game with a worse story that is trying to be serious in response to those aforementioned trying to be serious and shitting all over itself in doing so and not understanding as to why the previous thing is fun.

The difference between a marvel movie and that period in DC where it took itself entirely too seriosly because zack snyder hated most comic books. So yes the writing in that game is notable enough and shitty enough to be hated specifically. And that's saying something. Something something sniper rifle abortion

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Bad then worse now, Capcom was nosediving for a lot of that generation with those Western collabos.