• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Without the DMC brand the game would've never existed.
Yeah it would have. It would have been different but DMC5 would have still happened. The only reason DmC happened is because there was an initiative to westernize franchises to reinvigorate them that didn't work out. ( thanks inafune) It was quite litterally an edgy bump in the road.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
as a casual enjoyer of the DMC series I liked both DmC and DMC. If anything I probably liked the gameplay of DmC more but I'm hardly hardcore so i can see why series diehards would not be fond of it.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Happy anniversary shit game

Call me when we celebrate the Definite Version

Don't know what the fuck Ninja Theory was thinking with color coded enemies, you want to use both angel and demon weapons?
Get fucked, gotta use slow ass Demon Axe/Fist because get fucked
Yes, this is what I think too. Has the DE fixed those awful color coded enemies?

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but I am glad we got the old series back.

Maybe one day Ninja Theory will make a new action IP to continue with that style of gameplay.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I have no idea how people can play a game were the characters are so unlikeable and everything that happens is so cringy.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels like this series was just never built for me. The wackiness in DMC5 sounds right up my alley but threw me off.

DmC gameplay was so much simpler and better for new players. And though the cutscenes not perfect, I could stomach them (and ignore them) as another wasted story full of emo cliches.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
We can all breathe a collective sigh of relief that Capcom's cynical ploy to turn the DMC franchise into a bigger money maker by 1) pandering to a western audience, and 2) throwing the entire DMC fanbase under the bus, was unsuccessful.

I don't trust consumers to get anything right, but thankfully they didn't embrace DmC like Capcom was hoping.

Thus the DMC series rebounded from near disaster a second time. In much the same way that DMC3 corrected everything DMC2 got wrong, while building on its meager handful of half baked good ideas, DMC5 restored the series' stature after DmC tried to reboot everything with worse gameplay, lower design standards, and awful parodies of established characters.

DMC5 is a miracle. It's a rare thing to see a franchise recover from not one but two pants-on-head stupid episodes of money grubbing corporate sabotage.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I waited a couple more weeks for the PC release. To this day, still the only game I've gotten 100% achievements with on Steam. I loved it. It probably still ranks as my third favorite Devil May Cry game, now behind 5 and 3. I already loved both DMC and Ninja Theory prior to its release so despite my poor reaction to its reveal and not agreeing with the aggressive talk about DMC's established style, I was very curious about the marriage of Ninja Theory and DMC well ahead of release and I thought it was a very cool take, even if I slightly prefer established DMC. I personally really liked the more straightforward gameplay systems and enjoyed traversing the levels more than traditional DMC games, though overall I still slightly prefer post-3 combat more than DmC gameplay.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This forum never disappoints when trying to make DmC a thing lol.
A wise man once said, "Not in a million years."

I have no idea how people can play a game were the characters are so unlikeable and everything that happens is so cringy.
You mean to say you weren't won over by catchy and relatable lines like, "The world is at last your bitch, as am I" or "I've got a bigger dick"? Huh.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I love this game. It was something different and that's ok, although I would prefer to have both versions of DMC continue if I had to choose only one I'd definitely choose traditional DMC over this. I hope one day we get the Definitive Edition enhancements to the PC version :(

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
You mean to say you weren't won over by catchy and relatable lines like, "The world is at last your bitch, as am I" or "I've got a bigger dick"? Huh.
early 00's cartoon dante wasn't cool enough for ninja theory, so they traded it with a character stripped from the hangover movies, with all the same level of boomer humour.

It's not even good enough to like ironically.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It was my first Devil May Cry game of any kind. Tried it for the first time a year ago while it was in Game Pass. Reason I purchased DMC5. Really thought it was a lot of fun with great level design.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I actually think the character/story reboot stuff was meh but could've worked if the gameplay wasn't clearly worse than other games in the series. For all of the extra polish in terms of environments and such, it just was a flatout worse game than other fan favorite entries.

DMC V probably put the debate to bed for good.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I will take a dumb story that takes itself seriously and is fun over a game with a worse story that is trying to be serious in response to those aforementioned trying to be serious and shitting all over itself in doing so and not understanding as to why the previous thing is fun.

The difference between a marvel movie and that period in DC where it took itself entirely too seriosly because zack snyder hated most comic books. So yes the writing in that game is notable enough and shitty enough to be hated specifically. And that's saying something. Something something sniper rifle abortion
Funny, you don't see anyone hating Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for specifically the writing when the story was literally about Ryu being a "dark hero", and was about as pretentious, and idiotic as it could possibly get, with child surrogates, curses that involved the "vengeful spirits of everyone Ryu's killed", and dumb attempts at morality, drama and plot twists. Not to mention it forced you to watch the story quite a few times, with QTEs, and walking sequences. Not quite as awful as the original release, which had walking sequences everywhere, (Plus a few scenes of you, as Ryu, being forced to kill helpless people) but still pretty terrible.

In my eyes, this is a stupid fucking reason to hate an action game with perfectly good gameplay, unless you place a massive emphasis on story (in which 90% of video games, period, don't even have a story that's remotely passable), or it literally forces you to watch the story with constant unskippable cutscenes, and walking sequences.

Oh yes, and don't forget that NG3 Ryu wasn't even a separate character from past entries, unlike El Donte.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Big fan of DMC1-4 and I still really enjoyed Ninja Theory's take on it.

Had its own style, combat was fun and the stages and environment variety were great.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Still can't believe people get their dicks so hard for zip-lining through orange sky boxes tbh

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Played it last year, pretty fun game. Even bought Vergil's Downfall after finishing it but still have to play that.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
it's mediocre at best, with some really bad writing and character work. Some great art design and set pieces.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Still can't believe people get their dicks so hard for zip-lining through orange sky boxes tbh
Move forward press a button, is an engaging experience in this decade apparently.
In my eyes, this is a stupid fucking reason to hate an action game with perfectly good gameplay,
one problem with this take slick, is that people been dunking on the gameplay even more for how much of a downgrade it was from its direct predecessors.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Move forward press a button, is an engaging experience in this decade apparently.
one problem with this take slick, is that people been dunking on the gameplay even more for how much of a downgrade it was from its direct predecessors.
Yeah the gameplay is super shallow, the boss fights are easy, the enemies are crap.

Also nothing says Devil May Cry like Vergil in a fedora and Anonymous mask toting a sniper rifle.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than DMC1 and DMC2.

Its a damn good game.

The level design is far superior to other dmc games.

I think the platforming was cool.

They should bring those two things above into the main series.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I love the DMC series. I've at this point played through it multiple times.

Game is great though. Would have been better if it was its own thing but I really like the game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Yeah the gameplay is super shallow, the boss fights are easy, the enemies are crap.

Also nothing says Devil May Cry like Vergil in a fedora and Anonymous mask toting a sniper rifle.
Let's gut styles

Let's gimp the lock on n directional inputs

make two redundant dodges, which create over powered counters

Have command moves overlap between the weapons

bosses that are exclusively large pattern based foes n glorified set pieces until Vergil.

no inertia

Even less enemies than 4 that attack you in the air

But hey there is mindless platforming,so it's better than the games that have better combat in the series about combat.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory's "blah blah old Dante is gay, look how funny that is" was pathetic, but it's probably my favourite out of the DMC games I've played (1, 4, DmC and 5).

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Game was so good. DMCV was hella boring for me, wish ninja theory got to do another sequel especially after all they did with the improvements in DE.

5 has good combat but the whole package is so lack luster.