• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
may this day survive in our memories in perpetual shame

..just kidding, it was a good game, jjust a bad devil may cry

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing game, but f**k them for leaving us with a cliffhanger -_-

The game scored nicely and sold good... but no... they had to screw us over with no DmC 2.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Preordered it. The OG version was and still is straight out crap. DE made it much better. As a DMC game it was a major disappointment due to its simplicity around combat mechanics. As a generic action game without the DMC brand, it's ok with great level design.

Fedora-wearing, quickscoping Vergil was an outright crime though.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I heard an airhorn in my mind's eye during his big moment
Lol it was such a ridiculous moment. Don't know what they were thinking when they made that scene.

"Ok guys, listen up! We need to get serious.. I'm proposing the idea of having Fedora Vergil quickscope a pregnant demon" like wtf

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Amazing game, but f**k them for leaving us with a cliffhanger -_-

The game scored nicely and sold good... but no... they had to screw us over with no DmC 2.

It didn't sell well which is why there was no DmC 2. It was supposed to sell 2 million, it sold 1.15 million. It's only 7 years later that it's gotten to 2.4 million, with much of those sales at a hefty discount. It's too bad for fans that it ended on a cliffhanger, but it's not like Capcom did that to spite those fans.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Still the best game in the series.
Truly The Last Jedi of the series.
Delusional posts like these are almost enough to give me a dissociative episode.

Fucking how do people even come up with this stuff?

Never played this game or any other entry in the series but i would like to note that some of you are WAY too obsessive.

Same toxic arguments by the same individuals from the old place in ERA, 7 years after the fact. That is the highlight of this thread.

Existence of this game is not a personal slight against you or your preferences. How hard it is to accept that fact and move on ?
And yet, it was practically written, designed, marketed, and promoted as a giant "fuck you" to fans of the classic series, so ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Did anybody else lol playing this game when they couldn't even bother to pronounce Mundus' name correctly? The name is said within the first couple minutes of DMC1, I've always wondered if NT only read it and never watched the opening cutscene of DMC1, or if the Voice Actors mispronounced it and NT didn't think it was important.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
We can all breathe a collective sigh of relief that Capcom's cynical ploy to turn the DMC franchise into a bigger money maker by 1) pandering to a western audience, and 2) throwing the entire DMC fanbase under the bus, was unsuccessful.

I don't trust consumers to get anything right, but thankfully they didn't embrace DmC like Capcom was hoping.

Thus the DMC series rebounded from near disaster a second time. In much the same way that DMC3 corrected everything DMC2 got wrong, while building on its meager handful of half baked good ideas, DMC5 restored the series' stature after DmC tried to reboot everything with worse gameplay, lower design standards, and awful parodies of established characters.

DMC5 is a miracle. It's a rare thing to see a franchise recover from not one but two pants-on-head stupid episodes of money grubbing corporate sabotage.

Well said! When you factor in DMC2 as well it's crazy what this series has been through and still triumphed.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay and music were great. First entry in the series I immediately continued playing on higher difficulties after beating it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing to come out of this game

Jokes aside, I actually enjoyed the game.

QUE TE JODAAAAAAN...

Happy anniversary shit game

Call me when we celebrate the Definite Version

Don't know what the fuck Ninja Theory was thinking with color coded enemies, you want to use both angel and demon weapons?
Get fucked, gotta use slow ass Demon Axe/Fist because get fucked
Preach. The original game was a hot garbage, dunno wtf NT was smoking when they made some of those decisions. The DE improved so much on it with its massive changelog that you can say its a completely different game.

Last edited:

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
My experience with this game:

Hated the announce trailer and warly footage.
Loved the game a lot: music, art style, stages, gameplay were all great.

The techno stage is still one of the best stages i have ever played.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Delusional posts like these are almost enough to give me a dissociative episode.

And yet, it was practically written, designed, marketed, and promoted as a giant "fuck you" to fans of the classic series, so ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
I'm sorry that I prefer a different game than you? No need to take it so personally.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The first time I played the game on Xbox 360 I couldn't get past it only being 30fps. Then I bought the PS4 Definitive Edition and it became one of my favourite games of all time. I really don't get the hate.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
If anything, I saw DMC5's levels as better for not having DmC's heavier emphasis on platforming or its Bayonetta-style environmental shifting. Fairly simple and mainly geared toward keeping the focus on combat, which is all I wanted. After DMC3 and 4's frequent use of hazards and backtracking, the relatively straightforward nature of 5's level design was welcome.
Why not just make the next game bloody palace with some cutscenes.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand people who have negative reactions to this but positive reactions to DMC3 cutscenes.

I dunno how you can be confused about this. A lot of the main series has a super goofy, doesn't really take itself seriously tone. Dmc went a lot edgier with its humor and, it really doesn't work. It makes dante an asshole as opposed to a loveable goof.

Allice

Oct 9, 2018

Not sure whether your conjectures are true or not but it doesn't even matter.

Do you think that marketing effort justifies 7 years of grudge and vile behaviour ?

Seriously, go check the threads on the old place right around the release time, and you'll see the same names making the same arguments 7 years ago. Heck, maybe you were there making the same arguments as well, i'm not sure.

If you think that's healthy or even acceptable behaviour, i don't know what to tell you.

Which brings me back to the obsessive part of the equation, some of you take ' being a fan of a franchise ' narrative way, way too seriously.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The combat was outright trash. Whoever the hell thought up the idea of having color coded enemies that can only be hurt by the color matched weapon was a damn fool and has clearly never even played devil may cry. It's like they took the dumbest aspect of Heavenly Swords combat and said "yeah let's ruin this with it too"

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom's biggest embarrassment last gen. Glad this shit rightfully failed.

The only good thing about it was that it made DMC5 all the more sweet when we finally got it.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
You say this:

Then you say this:

And you don't realize why I compared it to The Last Jedi?

Also watch your fucking mouth when you talk to or refer to me.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017

No? Even as a shitty gotcha this doesn't work. TLJ built on what was there and took it in a different (by Star Wars movies standards) direction. It didn't literally reboot the entire fiction's world and spend the marketing talking about how classic characters were bad and gay (which is bad for some reason).

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
No? Even as a shitty gotcha this doesn't work. TLJ built on what was there and took it in a different (by Star Wars movies standards) direction. It didn't literally reboot the entire plot and spend the marketing talking about how classic characters were bad and gay (which is bad for some reason).

A large portion of the original fanbase didn't like the direction taken in the latest installment and how it was otherwise different from what they had come to expect, while other people liked it for what it was and enjoyed the updated and alternate idea of the story and characters.

Am I talking about The Last Jedi or DmC?

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
The combat was outright trash. Whoever the hell thought up the idea of having color coded enemies that can only be hurt by the color matched weapon was a damn fool and has clearly never even played devil may cry. It's like they took the dumbest aspect of Heavenly Swords combat and said "yeah let's ruin this with it too"

Have you played Dark Void, Operation Raccoon City, or Bionic Commando? DmC is far from the worst thing Capcom did last gen lol

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
A large portion of the original fanbase didn't like the direction taken in the latest installment and how it was otherwise different from what they had come to expect, while other people liked it for what it was and enjoyed the updated and alternate idea of the story and characters.

Am I talking about The Last Jedi or DmC?

You're talking about DMC4 as much as those.

Your paragraph describes every not 100% beloved sequel ever, and has little link to why either of those things were "controversial"

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Why would you remind us of this???
kinda /s

Anyway, I didn't dislike the game, it's fine on it's own, but it was a piss poor Devil May Cry game, especially in it's base version.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you played Dark Void, Operation Raccoon City, or Bionic Commando? DmC is far from the worst thing Capcom did last gen lol
Not the first two but was Bionic Commando the 360/ps3 one? If so yeah I played that awful pile of trash lol.

I think DmC stood out more to me because it has a well established gameplay foundation and simple things like the color coding are completely at odds with what its about.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's a game that is both pointless and mean.

There's a lot of genuine talent on display and it's a shame it's in service of DmC. There's no doubt in my mind that the team was probably pretty damn talented, but rather than using it to show that the west can totally make great character action they instead watered down what made DMC unique whilst rev entering the game around incredibly toxic themes and characters.

When I first played it when I was younger I thought it was completely fine, but the older I get the more the game kinda disgusts me. Like, not the gameplay obviously, but the plot just makes me feel bad.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
You're talking about DMC4 as much as those.

Your paragraph describes every not 100% beloved sequel ever, and has little link to why either of those things were "controversial"
Not really on either count. There's a difference between not liking new iterations because of a change in direction or slight modifications to established systems and not liking a paradigm shift for a franchise.

DMC3 to DMC4 was nowhere near the leap from DMC4 to DmC, just as ESB to ROTJ was nowhere near the leap from TFA to TLJ, in terms of subverting expectations.

Hence, why I referred to TLJ in the first place.

I really like the scene, when Kat gets captured by the police and Donte tells her, how to act. It shows, how much experience he has with this (similar to his comment, when inviltrating the upside down prison, that he never thought, he would break into a prison one day), and she is so frightened. Gives me goosebumps.
I liked the idea of how much he's been through in general. But I had a feeling they don't really go anywhere with it, more mentioned as a sidenote. And they go way overboard with him tearing his chest open with this picture that looked to stupid, that I was never sure if he really means it literally. (Similar to the strange scene, where kid Donte holds his dead mother in his arms, three times his size, like carrying his bride over the doorstep.)

Another great scene is the brothers visiting the playground. Love those graffities in the background, while Vergil tells their story.
But it is a damn shame there is not even a single flashback of them as kids with their mother. The place seems super irrelevant. They just walk past, it doesn't make any difference if they were there or somewhere else.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Mediocre game and a terrible decision to greenlight the project in the first place. I stand by the opinion anyone who loves this game outright has not played, or tried to understand, the originals in any meaningful capacity.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the real DMC is back I can't say I think about this failed reboot very much at all anymore.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The Last Jedi is probably the second best Star Wars movie, while DmC is almost prequel level trash, so yeah, your comparison was ridiculous.

Also watch your fucking mouth when you talk to or refer to me.
I've never seen a more keyboard warrior post on this forum, lmao. Take it down a notch, champ.

You do realize that putting me on ignore would be way more effective than childishly demanding that I heed your whims on a public forum, right? Take responsibility for your own online experience.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I liked it and wished we had a follow up...now we will never because the devs are exclusive to MS lol

Edit: Though if its demise was the reason why DMC5 happened, then no regrets.

Sep 14, 2018
Do you think that marketing effort justifies 7 years of grudge and vile behaviour ?

If you think that's healthy or even acceptable behaviour, i don't know what to tell you.

Which brings me back to the obsessive part of the equation, some of you take ' being a fan of a franchise ' narrative way, way too seriously.

How in the world do yo know this user has "7 years of grudge and vile behaviour" because he doesn't like this game?

How is commenting on a forum about a game across x years, say once a year or something, "obsessive"?

Nice strawman but the only one who sounds nuts here is you.

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
How in the world do yo know this user has "7 years of grudge and vile behaviour" because he doesn't like this game?

How is commenting on a forum about a game across x years, say once a year or something, "obsessive"?

Nice strawman but the only one who sounds nuts here is you.

First off, i have no personal stake here, i've never played any of the games in the series, so my perspective is clear, i don't have any emotional attachment over the subject unlike some people, wink wink.

Second, creatively editing posts will not get you anywhere. I did not accuse that or any other poster for that matter, with any specific behaviour, i just noted the tone and the general actions of the fanbase. You have various people in this thread stating they are surprised how things started a bit less heated and toxic this time around, there is a well documented vile behaviour regarding this game so i don't see the need to legitimize my statements.

Lastly for semantics. You may or may not like the game, i don't care and that's not the point. Making the same tired arguments years and years after the fact is by it's very and dictionary meaning; obsessive.

Last edited:

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
The Last Jedi is probably the second best Star Wars movie, while DmC is almost prequel level trash, so yeah, your comparison was ridiculous.

The Last Jedi is the worst non-prequel Star Wars movie, while DmC is better than 3 of the 5 other games in the series. Aren't opinions wonderful?

I've never seen a more keyboard warrior post on this forum, lmao. Take it down a notch, champ.

Says the guy who calls people delusional when they say things he disagrees with. Also, "champ" Lol what are you, 12?

You do realize that putting me on ignore would be way more effective than childishly demanding that I heed your whims on a public forum, right? Take responsibility for your own online experience.

Again, calling somebody "delusional" for having an opinion different than your own is highly disrespectful and I simply (and strongly) told you to choose your words more carefully when they involve me instead of being a edgy little shithead and calling my mental health into question. Especially when being an adult and respectfully disagreeing was a perfectly reasonable option on the table. Take that as you will. You're of course free to do as you wish.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gave us one of the funniest cutscenes ever.
It's the dumbest, most childish cutscene, and I understand why it's infamous. But I won't lie it, makes me laugh. It's the sheer absurdity of it all. So yeah, I'm glad for it lol.
(Still need to play it, own a cheap copy from a pawn shop)