Oct 30, 2017
ofzy4p92an571.jpg

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Great news! Now please make voting day a national holiday.

This means all banks and some other institutions will suddenly be closed tomorrow? Or do they get a "pass" this year?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent. It will take time for businesses to start giving people off for it. I imagine next yesr you'll see a bunch, then more and more after that.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It seems wild there wasn't an end-of-slavery holiday til now. Seems like the most no-brainer choice for one after Independence Day.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Looking forward to local GOP politicians throwing a hissyfit for clout. Just state legislatures trying to invoke states rights for General Lee Picnic Day or some bullshit.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Is this still being seen as a replacement for another federal holiday?

It's not a replacement. The bill just adds Juneteenth to the list of federal holidays.

My brother works at cyber security firm, and they started getting the day off last year. I hope this helps accelerate the trend in the private sector, and not become something the feds get off but everyone else doesn't, like President's Day or something.

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Is this still being seen as a replacement for another federal holiday?
I believe it is in addition and there are now 11 Federal holidays, bill reads:

Section 6103(a) of title 5, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to Memorial Day the following:

" Juneteenth National Independence Day, June 19.".

(thanks for the shout, Loudninja)

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that this is just a cop-out for the GOP to say that racism is over and this proves it rather than enacting actual laws to present the mistreatment of black people in this nation, but yeah sure I'll take an extra paid day off.

Sign it today so all of us government employees can be like "hey yo where is our 8 hours of credit?"

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that this is just a cop-out for the GOP to say that racism is over and this proves it rather than enacting actual laws to present the mistreatment of black people in this nation, but yeah sure I'll take an extra paid day off.

Sign it today so all of us government employees can be like "hey yo where is our 8 hours of credit?"
Not like it matters they being saying that for years since Obama got elated and whine about Black History month every chance they get.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, this is badly needed. America needs to confront it's past if we are ever going to move forward.
States are literally implementing laws this year to prevent the discussion of slavery in schools. This is not going to do what you hope it will.

Not like it matters they being saying that for years since Obama got elated and whine about Black History month every chance they get.
Very true lol

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for it to be a holiday. I won't be getting it off but it's good for people who do. We all need to take an introspective look at what it means for the USA moving forward.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see the holiday officially recognize but it's going to feel a little odd when all these white people go to McDonald's for lunch and are being waited on by black people.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in canada there were talks about adding another federal day to do with indigenous people and I feel like that conversation died somewhere at some point so it's nice to see the usa get this one done.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Imagine if Trump won and he'd go with some shitty Confederate type of holiday thing? Didn't he plan something like that when he was around?

Oct 27, 2017
Now reparations, voting rights and the tearing down of the white supremacist institutional structure every element of American Democracy stakes itself upon would be nice.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Good. We dont need to cede forms of progress just because the GOP will act in bad faith. They do that anyway, so fuck them.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So federal employees get tomorrow off this year?
we should per OPM Twitter, but it's gonna be an extremely fun afternoon for everyone's payroll departments because this technically doesn't actually take effect until OPM sends out the official guidance on it

(also people with RDOs are gonna have even more fun trying to figure the pay logistics out until then)

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
we should per OPM Twitter, but it's gonna be an extremely fun afternoon for everyone's payroll departments because this technically doesn't actually take effect until OPM sends out the official guidance on it

(also people with RDOs are gonna have even more fun trying to figure the pay logistics out until then)
I'm a Gov't contractor and everyone is planning what to do with their day off. Of course the one Trump supporter in our area is excited for a day off. He's the laziest person in the department so no shock there.

I'm telling people to slow their roll until our leadership says something.

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of Very Miserable People online that are immediately entering a full-court press to diminish any positive attitude towards this, which I think is just a total load of BS meant to squash any feeling of progress ever. Emancipation Day should be an official holiday for the same reason Columbus Day shouldn't be. Some people are going to be deflective of progress being made on this, and then also go on to complain about how important it is to cancel Columbus Day (Democratic officials are already functionally treating it as Indigenous People's Day, even if it is still Columbus Day on the books).

Oct 25, 2017
Will banks be closed tomorrow?

Not unless they were already planning on it. This is just for federal workers and contractors, and that schedule does not align with Bank Holidays.

Bank Holidays, State Holidays, and Federal Holidays are all a slightly different subset, and it threw me off so many times (I was a state school grad student working at a National Lab, and showed up to work once to find it totally empty).

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Of course Congress waited until the last possible minute to approve this, leaving federal employees unsure if they get off this year or have to wait until next year.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Good. We dont need to cede forms of progress just because the GOP will act in bad faith. They do that anyway, so fuck them.

Where I'm at.

And you can guarantee even if the inexorable march of capitalism/commercial whitewashing occurs, it will still be very clear and commonly taught in every school exactly why this is a holiday (and why it should be)...even in the most red of red states. It will be difficult to Lost Cause this.

I'm glad this passed, cynicism be damned. I'm too Black to be mad at this. Hopefully people's private employers find ways to let them have that day off too (formally giving it off, granting floating holidays that can be used for the 19th, giving extra PTO, giving time and a half or holiday hours for part time/hourly/gig economy and contract workers, etc).

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I would hope most government HR/payroll departments have a plan for this.

My state's HR does the following for holidays: if it falls on a Saturday, we receive holiday credit. If it falls on a Sunday, we receive the holiday on the Monday.

If you are normally scheduled for that day, it becomes holiday pay. If it is your RDO, you receive holiday credit.