• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
In 1984, a Martian meteorite was discovered in Antarctica. It was labeled ALH 84001. In 1996, NASA announced the existence of alien microfossils in it. In 2009, Earth sent its first manned mission to Mars and estabilished Vita I base, a research center to investigate Martian bacterial life. In August 8th, 2018, Vita I sent its last transmission to Earth:

"If you send a manned craft, warn the crew: Stay alone. Stay alive."

Today, 10 months after complete radio silence, an investigative team of three people landed on the surface of Mars and entered Vita I base through different airlocks. They expect to deal with a bacterial outbreak. What they'll find there is worse than anything they could dream of.

This is the premise of Martian Gothic: Unification, a game developed by Creative Reality, relased in 2000 for PC and 2001 for the PS1.

MV5BYTczMGI3NWUtYmQyNi00ZjcyLTg4MzQtYzdjZGI1Y2ViNTIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

Cool cover, ain't it?

It becomes clear from the start that despite being sold as a survival horror game, MG:U wasn't developed with that genre in mind. In fact, its point-and-click adventure origins are everywhere. This game has a heavy focus on exploration and puzzle-solving. You'll spend most of your time walking aroung, clicking at stuff, examining and combining items, reading memos and computer files. There's even a magnifying glass icon that pops up whenever you can interact with something or someone.

You play as three characters who must stay away from each other during the whole game for reasons you'll learn as you progress through the story, and time doesn't stop when you switch from one character to another, so you must always leave them in a safe area before switching to a different one.

With that said, I want to lay down every criticism I can in order to focus on the good parts later on.
  • The controls are absolute garbage. Characters are heavy, move slowly, constantly collide with walls and surfaces that completely halt their movement and leave them open to attacks until you're lucky enough to turn your character and circumvent whatever it is that's stopping them. You can't ready your weapon while moving, so you first need to let go of the D-Pad, wait for your character to stop, then you press R1 in order to raise your weapon. Combat is extremely slow and frustrating because of that, which leads me to my next point.
  • This game was balanced to frustrate the player more and more as they progress through the story. As soon as the game starts, it doesn't take you more than a few minutes to walk through dozens of corpses, which isn't all that bad because they're all apparently dead. As you make progress, though, more and more of these corpses are reanimated, and once they're up, you can't kill them. Not for more than a few seconds, anyway. In order to deal with that, the game showers you with ammo, but your enemies become more and more resistant to bullets as well as taking a lot less time to get back on their feet. To make matters worse, the most important hallways are littered with enemies, which makes going through them an exercise in patience. And now, the cherry on top: Hit detection is abysmal. Enemies can grab you from ridiculous distances, and often they'll be facing you and suddenly grab you from behind, which does more damage (oh, and by the way, a LOUD JUMPSCARE CHORD OF DOOM plays almost every time your character is grabbed). It makes Rule of Rose's combat feel like Bayonetta's in comparison.
  • The 3D models are nothing to write home about. Every human looks like a pile of boxes, and there's very little variation in the enemy models.
  • It can get pretty confusing. Since there are a lot of items and the game is somewhat non-linear, it's pretty easy for the player to get confused and not have a clue what they're supposed to do next. Some puzzles are very obtuse and follow that crazy point-and-click logic some of us know and love, some of us hate with a passion.
  • Game-breaking bugs. As I was replaying this game in order to write about it here, I came to a bug that made me unable to advance through the plot and beat the game. I thought these bugs were exclusive to the PC version, but some of them are present in the PS1 version as well.
  • The voice acting may not be to everyone's taste. I've read a lot of criticism towards it online, but I enjoy it quite a lot. Characters talk like real people, and the fact that some of the talents were not actual actors gives a lot of authenticity to their lines.
So, after this wall of text that states pretty much every reason why you should stay away from this game, why would anyone even try it?
  • Well, for starters, the writing is great. Dialogue is interesting and well done, and the story is quite good as well, with worldbuilding far above the average for when this game was made. There are lots of text files and audio logs that give more details about the story and setting. One of the best things about this game is visiting every area with each character and listening to what they have to say about it. Same goes for the items: most of them are examinable, and each character has a different thing to say about them. You learn a lot about these characters' backstories and personalities by doing that, and they become quite interesting as the story goes on.
  • The pre-rendered graphics are beautiful. Despite being a sci-fi research base on Mars, Vita I has a lot of visual variety. Many rooms are themed after different cultures for reasons explained in game, so you won't be staring at dozens of metal corridors and gray room after gray room. Vita I looks like a place in which people lived and met an horrible fate.
  • The soundtrack is perfect. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's the best soundtrack ever, but it definitely fits the atmosphere the game aims to achieve. Each track has this eerie feeling of isolation, mystery and alien horror, making the whole experience feel just like a good horror game should.
  • It's a bit ahead of its time in regards to diversity. The player characters are an African-American man, a Japanese man and a British woman. Vita I's crew has a good balance between men and women, as well as many women in leading positions, and some audiologs seem to suggest that some characters had same-sex relationships.
Sadly, the game got mostly bad reviews when it was released, and Creative Reality had to close doors shortly after. Stephen Marley, MG:U's writer and game designer, has given a number of interviews as the years went by, giving a lot of interesting information on how this game was developed, the many frustrations he had during development, and some things that infuriate him to this day, such as the recording studio casting a white man to record Martin Karne's lines despite Marley being adamant that every character should be voiced by an actor of their same ethnicity, or how combat was shoehorned into the game because survival horror games were trending back then.

Anyway, if you can tolerate awful controls, overly frustrating combat and the possibility of needing to restart your whole playthrough because of bugs, you'll most likely find a lot to love in this game. For a game developed by only six people back in 2000, this is quite the achievement.
martiangothic-06.png
martiangothic-11.png
martiangothic-01.png
martiangothic-05.png
martiangothic-02.png
martiangothic-12.png
Thank you for your time, Era. This is my first thread here, and I wanted to pay homage to this beautiful and horrible game I love so much. I really hope the people who made MG:U are still working in the games industry, with better results of course.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Of all the games to get a decent write up haha

Wasn't this one of the $10 from Take2, along with 3 other games? Darkstone, Spec Ops and another

Dec 14, 2017
Never heard of this, and point and click games were never my cup of tea... but this one has an intriguing premise. And very interesting three character leads as well, as you said, quite unusual for that time period indeed.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
That sounds like an interesting game. I mean, me, being a coward, would never get close to this game, but surely some friend surely would love to check it. Great write up OP!

OP
OP
Last Jon Standing
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Thank you, everyone!
Of all the games to get a decent write up haha
I know, right? Hahah, yeah, I've been meaning to write about it for a while now, and I thought it would be cool to do it in the day the game's events were supposed to take place. This game has a lot of shortcomings, but I honestly think it deserves more recognition for what it does right. If you look past the abysmal controls and combat, you'll find a lot to love and enjoy. Sci-fi and horror fans certainly will.

Jan 4, 2018
My only exposure to this game is from Game Informer's Super Replay of it. But it was a good one, I suggest people check it out if you're into that sort of thing.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's astonishing how each of those screenshots manages to be completely incomprehensible in a new and daring way.

Thanks, tho, I always appreciate a detailed OP diving into something I've never heard of.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried looking up spoilers but had no luck. What happens in the story, to the three characters? I probably won't ever play it but I'm intrigued.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great write-up, the title sounds like it would fit right in the nosleep subreddit!

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
This sounds cool. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the writeup!

The negatives of the game sound really frustrating to deal with, but if the game was ever modded to fix the controls, bugs, and enemy balance I'd definitely jump in to play it.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of this game until now. That might be one of the best game covers I've ever seen lol. And for a PS1 title, those graphics look pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the intriguing write-up, OP. I wonder if this game could get a mod like that SOMA update that neutralized the threats. I also wonder if this game could get a remake that turned it back into an adventure game.

I tried looking up spoilers but had no luck. What happens in the story, to the three characters? I probably won't ever play it but I'm intrigued.

I was just about to look up the story details, so I'm sad to read that the game isn't well documented online. I hope we get answers here.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Which Let's Play would be the best to watch on Youtube? This looks SUPER interesting.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen this box art millions of times and never a screenshot of the game lol. This thread kept the trend going happily.

Enjoyed reading this though lol. Too much work went into it.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great write up. This sounds interesting and I'd like to try it. I guess this is a case of having to track down a copy second hand? I just looked on PSN, Steam and GoG and couldn't find it.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So what happens if your characters meet up in the game?

If you want a real spoiler, then:

they are forced together cuz "unification" in the title is not an accident. you are dealing with Thing-esque stuff that wants to just join all flesh together and everyone in your team is infected. meaning they will end up body horror merging the moment they are close.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Are the first four screenshots from inside the Mars station? If so, that's some weird design choices...

But the premise sounds great, I was expecting some fan fiction thread after the first para.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Never even heard of this game, but by 2001 I was already all-in on PS2 games. As someone that appreciated old, obscure PS1 horror games like Echo Night and OverBlood, this is fascinating.
Great thread!

OP
OP
Last Jon Standing
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Guys, I got mugged last night and the pieces of shit took my phone, so I won't be able to reply as often as I wanted. I'm goinna take a nap now, and will answer some of your questions as soon as I get up. Still, I wanna show you something funny before I go:
So what happens if your characters meet up in the game?

That video is a illustrates many of my complaints.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I got mugged last night and the pieces of shit took my phone, so I won't be able to reply as often as I wanted. I'm goinna take a nap now, and will answer some of your questions as soon as I get up. Still, I wanna show you something funny before I go:

That video is a illustrates many of my complaints.

Do you know where i can read the complete story of this game?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks OP for a great and lovely passion post! I wish I had your perseverence and language skills to pay homage to my dearest gaming memories.

Thanks again, and I hope we'll see more posts like this one.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of this game, best PSX horror game as far as I am concerned, it brings a big smile to my face seeing this thread.

As the OP points out the game is very flawed but its strengths far outweigh the problems, the writing is the big star here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Finally had a chance to read this after setting it Aside. Anyway wanted to say thanks OP for putting this up. This game looks super interesting!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I remember I used to want to play that for a long time and never got around to it. I had forgotten about it. I might even have it somewhere.

When I read the title, I thought you were talking about the ultima game martian dreams.

OP
OP
Last Jon Standing
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hey there, everyone! Sorry for the late reply. After buying a new phone, I tried logging in on Era and had some trouble with Google Authenticator. It took me a while to find the piece of paper I wrote my backup codes on, but now I'm back for good. Thanks to everyone who sympathized with my situation. There was no physical altercation and only my phone was lost, so things could've been much worse.

By the way, I want to thank everyone for the feedback I got in this thread. Englsh isn't my first language and writing in it isn't something I usually do, so you can have an idea of how insecure I felt about making this thread. Not just that, but I wrote about a game not many people know, and those who do tend not to have much love for it. These things made me expect this thread to sink with few to no replies, but your feedback makes me want to make more threads like this one in the future. Thanks!

I'll try to answer to some of your questions now.
I was just about to look up the story details, so I'm sad to read that the game isn't well documented online. I hope we get answers here.
Do you know where i can read the complete story of this game?
To be honest, 95% of this game's story is piecing its backstory together by reading computer files, written notes, and listening to audiologs. Discovering what happened in Vita Base is an awesome experience, and though I was unable to find a plot summary online, I did find this awesome guide right here, whose hero of an author transcribed every computer file, note and audiolog. The transcriptions begin on page 35. I'd still heartily recommend watching a Let's Play for those who don't want do endure horrible controls and combat (judging by some people's replies in the thread, this one seems to be great).
Thanks OP for a great and lovely passion post! I wish I had your perseverence and language skills to pay homage to my dearest gaming memories.

Thanks again, and I hope we'll see more posts like this one.
Thanks a lot! And don't doubt your language skills, my friend. As I said above, English isn't my first language and I wasn't sure that my writeup would be any good. I'm sure you'll do a good job!