Today's Service Interruption (Feb. 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Hello, welcome back, and thank you all for your patience! Earlier today, for reasons that we have not yet finished investigating, our database began misbehaving -- a large number of posts were being assigned duplicate post IDs which wreaked havoc across the board causing many threads to display posts out of chronological order. After discovering the scale of the problem, we brought the site offline to perform maintenance.

In the hours since then we have fixed the root issue and have been working to repair the affected threads. We believe we have achieved this without any loss of content. In order to reopen as swiftly as possible, we have prioritized threads that are current and active.

There are some older and inactive threads that may still have posts displaying in the wrong order -- these will be repaired over the next day without further downtime.

We appreciate your patience and understanding! And a big shout out to our wonderful tech team who so diligently and quickly got on top of a perplexing problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Duplicating IDs? Well fuck that's a nasty error. Post IDs seem to be integers or long values and I'd guess its autoincrement so that's reaaallly weird.

Oct 25, 2017
It has been years since I last saw you, time warped posts, but I see that you are still as annoying as ever.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed how soon you guys fixed the problem, kudos. Hope you figure out what caused this in the first place, might be something that could happen again.

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I'm getting alerts for every thread created and I'm not seeing anyway to turn that off in alert preferences.

Someone halp
Hi! You might have selected "Watch Forum" by mistake. Turn the option off by clicking the "Unwatch Forum" link on the subforum page and you will be fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Did anyone else lose a TON of followers after this outage? Is the TechTeam trying to silence us? WTF?! /s

But in all seriousness, awesome job by the team to identify the issue and get it fixed with little to no data loss!

Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Not sure if related to the update, but forced mobile ad redirects have been sky high this evening for me. I can’t even post, as I keep getting interrupted nd redirected to Amazon gift cards, etc. iOS user here, latest software update.

Just FYI...gets really frustrating after you’ve typed out long responses on mobile only to be booted and lose progress.

I was only upset that i couldn't make a fairly lengthy post during the downtime. I was simply surprised it suddenly displayed the maintenance mode message, but i realize that a forum wide announcement could have set other things in motion.

So far i report no changes on the desktop side of things. Its good that ResetEraForum on Twitter exists. Perhaps have it integrated with the main page whenever an unexpected issue like this arises?

Either way, splendid work as always. Can't stress it enough that development and the dealing with dev issues is picked up in a very professional manner - More than i would have expected from a greenhorn forum like ResetERA. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.