• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
VentureBeat interviewed Todd Howard at GameLab in Barcelona and had ten takeaways. I brought three of the more notable ones here: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/28/...ys-from-bethesdas-studio-director-at-gamelab/

• Howard doesn't like to play it safe. "The idea is to keep being ambitious. … Playing it safe is the worst way to do things. [The Elder Scrolls III:] Morrowind was hard. It was our first time on console. If it didn't do well, the company was probably out of business. [The Elder Scrolls IV:] Oblivion was really difficult. We really pushed the tech. I liked that line in the movie Shakespeare in Love: How is this going to work out? I don't know, but it always does.
  • Bethesda's creative team thought about Starfield, the new science fiction game that Howard announced at E3, for at least 10 years. After Fallout 4 shipped, the team started working on it full time. It is the first ground-up franchise that Howard has worked on at Bethesda, where he has worked for the past 25 years. "We go back and reinterpret and replay old games," he said. "The difference with Starfield is there is no one to go back to. The ideas were all over the map. I enjoy "plus one" sequels as a player. I don't enjoy making them.
  • He watches a lot of games on video streams, when he doesn't have time to play. But he still plays games like Fortnite, for research.
The first one in particular probably speaks to why their new games look fairly different.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I nearly laughed out loud reading the topic but i was in the bus so i restrained myself.
Good one todd, good one.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
  • He watches a lot of games on video streams, when he doesn't have time to play. But he still plays games like Fortnite, for research.

Elder Scrolls: Battle Royale incoming. Prepare for 100 arrows to the knee.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Fallout 4 was the very definition of playing it safe.

I didn't think so. The more personal story along with the settlements was a pretty big shift, and it must have been a risk since it was controversial. It's not like they just put a new coat of paint on Fallout 3.

edit: and the dog, and the power armor being more central to the game

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully this means they're going to stop playing it safe in the future, because that's exactly what they've been doing so far.

I guess 76, as much as I personally find it dull, is actually a really different direction to go in. Not sure I'd call it unsafe in the slightest, but it's definitely a change.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think so. The more personal story along with the settlements was a pretty big shift, and it must have been a risk since it was controversial. It's not like they just put a new coat of paint on Fallout 3.
More personal story? It's basically the same story as Fallout 3 just substitute Dad for Son. Fallout 3 you go around chasing after you dad, Fallout 4 you go around chasing down your kid. It was controversial because unlike NV or hell even Fallout 3 the game lacked a ton of depth. Limiting your dialog options was also a terrible way to go and really limited some of the more unique conversations you had in previous Fallout games. Fallout 4 was certainly more pretty then either 3 or NV but in almost every way it felt like a downgrade.

The problem I have with Fallout 76 is that I do not trust Bethesda king of buggy gameplay to be able to create an online experience that is enjoyable, like think about how buggy games like Skyrim, Fallout 4, and other games are and turn it up to 11 when you put the game online and Bethesda doesn't fix shit.

I also really don't like the way they've advertised this game so far, it looks like a normal Fallout game but what we know from the details is that its NOTHING like a normal Fallout game and I get the feeling thats intentional and they are trying to sucker fans of the series into buying it thinking that it won't be a drastically different experience but it will be.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Says the dude who released 10 Skyrim Editions over the past 7 years instead of a new game.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda tries to mix it up really often, and Starfield and TES6 (not to mention FO76) seem to be rather different from what Bethesda has attempted yet. I can't wait to see how much they turn out.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still surprised how much the old forum and now ERA troll on Todd Howard. The dude seems super cool and has helped to create some legendary games.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to TES6 and Fallout 4 isn't exactly the best example I'd call safe.
Fallout 4 wasn't a safe sequel, it tried to branch out from what the series has been known for (and did it to its detriment).
Why does only TES6 count, exactly?

I'm still surprised how much the old forum and now ERA troll on Todd Howard. The dude seems super cool and has helped to create some legendary games.
Yeah, i don't get it, especially since the whole forum proceeds to trip over itself to get hyped for whatever he does anyway.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Look guys, I know it's funny for you to shit without reason on Todd Howard, you guys love your meme culture I understand. But don't begin to start talking about game engine when he is clearly referring to game design.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I mean it's their first real venture into multiplayer games. That definitely is full of risks.
Sure, but if we're supposed to take it as "we might fuck up due to inexperience" rather than "we're going to try interesting things", the whole thing loses a lot of its luster.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Fallout 4 WAS safe by going against what made those games so good and turning it into an adventure game with a set protagonist and very little player choice in the grand scheme. By stripping the game of core RPG mechanics they allowed the game to be the most accessible game they have ever made. That's safe as all hell.

Actually can't wait for Fallout 76. Seems like it'll scratch a nice itch.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Fallout 4 wasn't a safe sequel, it tried to branch out from what the series has been known for (and did it to its detriment).
Why does only TES6 count, exactly?

Yeah, i don't get it, especially since the whole forum proceeds to trip over itself to get hyped for whatever he does anyway.

Look guys, I know it's funny for you to shit without reason on Todd Howard, you guys love your meme culture I understand. But don't begin to start talking about game engine when he is clearly referring to game design.

It's perfectly natural and ok to acknowledge the shortcomings of developers and games that you enjoy. None of these jokes are mean spirited at all. Liking a game, a dev, or a publisher does not mean one must never make a joke at their expense or acknowledge faults. That's a real quick way to becoming the type of fan that engages in flame wars over silly stuff.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah 300 people at BGS have been working on Skyrim since 2011 right ?
And Fallout 4, 76, Starfield does not exist am I right ? Am I doing this meme culture right ?

Are you.... are you Todd Howard?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I kind of feel for Bethesda and BioWare.

They're up against CDPR and it's impossible to match the cost advantage of having your studio being in Poland.

They're forced to change approach, because there is no chance of matching Witcher 3, let alone '77.

I feel that the new Fallout is a reaction to that. Just drop all NPCs, robots and computers can give you low production quests.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Elder Scrolls: Battle Royale incoming. Prepare for 100 arrows to the knee.
100 arrows are airlifted to an island, last one standing gets the honor of being shot into some guy's knee.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even ignoring FO4 (which is basically the platonic ideal of "playing it safe" in gamedev), Bethesda has been playing it safe" ever since they sold out to normies with TES4 and 5.

I kind of feel for Bethesda and BioWare.

They're up against CDPR and it's impossible to match the cost advantage of having your studio being in Poland.

They're forced to change approach, because there is no chance of matching Witcher 3, let alone '77.

I feel that the new Fallout is a reaction to that. Just drop all NPCs, robots and computers can give you low production quests.

I think you'll find that right up until ME2 Bioware managed to make lots of very good games without being in Poland. Games that hold up to CDPR games in a lot of cases.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's perfectly natural and ok to acknowledge the shortcomings of developers and games that you enjoy. None of these jokes are mean spirited at all. Liking a game, a dev, or a publisher does not mean one must never make a joke at their expense or acknowledge faults. That's a real quick way to becoming the type of fan that engages in flame wars over silly stuff.

By this standard it's okay to flood every thread with memes and trolls about a developer because it's all in good fun.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Counterpoint: Gamebryo
Sticking with a toolset your team is used to that can be modified is not "playing it safe." It's just being smart, because the alternative is building something from scratch, and many devs can attest to how bad an idea that is when it comes to trying to build a game.

Even ignoring FO4 (which is basically the platonic ideal of "playing it safe" in gamedev), Bethesda has been playing it safe" ever since they sold out to normies with TES4 and 5."
"Sold out to normies"

The fuck?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Fallout 4 was the very definition of playing it safe.
Fallout 4 WAS safe by going against what made those games so good and turning it into an adventure game with a set protagonist and very little player choice in the grand scheme. By stripping the game of core RPG mechanics they allowed the game to be the most accessible game they have ever made. That's safe as all hell.

Actually can't wait for Fallout 76. Seems like it'll scratch a nice itch.
This is a very "armchair developer" thing to say. The game was significantly more dense, completely reworked controls, and had a completely new crafting and building mechanic that was all new to the series. You're just thinking of the things you care about, not the games as a whole.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, is it? Is that why there's about 500 billion Skyrim rereleases on everything now? Is that not the very definition of "playing it safe"?
Or hell, how Elder Scrolls and Fallout pretty much use the same formula across every game?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This is a very "armchair developer" thing to say. The game was significantly more dense, completely reworked controls, and had a completely new crafting and building mechanic that was all new to the series. You're just thinking of the things you care about, not the games as a whole.
Me saying the game was massively accessible isn't being an armchair developer. It was, it lacked much of an RPG component, and had all the things that made for popular mainstream game. It wasn't a risk.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Only in that it was the first mostly-shitty game in the franchise. It still shares most of its DNA with FO3.
FO4 plays significantly differently from FO3.

Me saying the game was massively accessible isn't being an armchair developer. It was, it lacked much of an RPG component, and had all the things that made for popular mainstream game. It wasn't a risk.
FO3 wasn't some niche experience. FO3 was a mainstream game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that crafting system also had no bearing on gameplay objectives or story loops. It was just there to be there, and it was yet another thing that modders had to fix posthumously. And honestly, driving fallout to be even more of a shooter than fallout 3 and NV was doesn't exactly scream originality, especially whent he gunplay is still bad.

Let's face it, they've been playing it safe for years.
Sticking with a toolset your team is used to that can be modified is not "playing it safe." It's just being smart, because the alternative is building something from scratch, and many devs can attest to how bad an idea that is when it comes to trying to build a game.

That being said, re-releasing games on that same engine with the same bugs from 5 years ago is kind of the definition of being set back on your heels.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last year at e3 was them poking fun that single player is dead and they're going to stick to it. This year, nearly everything they showed had some sort of multiplayer component to it.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Every iteration in their RPGs is even more mainstream-focused than the last, to its detriment. It has been a long time since the ambitious scope of Daggerfall or the insane detail of Morrowind. Oblivion made some improvements to the NPC simulation, but was incredibly safe otherwise.