• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Todd Howard is currently giving an interview with Geoff Keighly on YouTube and gave us a few tidbits about the things that Bethesda Game Studios is working on. Some of the highlights include

- Starfield has been in production for a long time and is a playable state.
- Starfield may have some sort of social connection to it, but make no mistake this is Bethesda's next big Single Player experience. Not an online focused game
- ESVI is in a pre production state. It is not currently in a playable capacity. The technology for the game still "doesn't exist yet but is getting closer" aka next generation consoles are approaching soon.
- Fallout 76 has the largest team that a BGS project has ever had.

Edit - there is some confusion if Todd was specifically commenting on the tech not existing yet was in regards to Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI. Either way he reiterated again that Starfield is a "next gen project" so it works either way.

Will update more if he gives more meaningful info, but this at least adds a bit more context to the announcements they made yesterday

Last edited:

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
"The technology for the game still "doesn't exist yet but is getting closer" aka next generation consoles are approaching soon."

I think he said this for The Elder Scrolls VI, not Starfield.

Apr 21, 2018
Sounds like Elders Scrolls 6 is a next-gen title too, all things considered.

I was really impressed with Bethesda yesterday. They really seem to love what they do and they strike a good balance between taking risks and giving gamers what they want.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
- Starfield has been in production for a long time and is a playable state. The technology for the game still "doesn't exist yet but is getting closer" aka next generation consoles are approaching soon.
Wasn't the technology part in reference to TESVI, and Geoff's interview with Todd two years ago? I didn't read it as they're waiting for the technology for Starfield, per se.

Either way, I'm calling it now:
  • Starfield: 2020
  • TESVI: 2022

Oct 26, 2017
Other stuff:

Fallout 76 not playable at e3
Fallout 76 won't have mods at launch but will have something sometime later
They're balancing PvP stuff to try to reduce griefing but have no specific details
You can target specific body parts in a selection based shooting system but no slowdown option.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The technology for the game still doesn't exist"...what does that mean. No consumer build has the power to run it?

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The technology for the game still "doesn't exist yet but is getting closer" aka next generation consoles are approaching soon."

I think he said this for The Elder Scrolls VI, not Starfield.

I'm pretty sure he was referencing both, it was during the Starfield talk

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Also, since people love talking about it here, Todd once again confirmed that their large projects always overlap. They're not working with waterfalls like some here believe (one project finished > move over to next one). TESVI will move into full production well before Starfield is finished.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Hold up... they put that many resources behind this Fallout 76 game?! So do i have that to blame for the huge delay in ES VI?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Technology doesn't exist yet = Expensive PCs can run it, but we can't make this a PC-only game - we gotta wait for consoles that can run this.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I didn't expect a team that big for Fallout 76.

Other stuff:

Fallout 76 not playable at e3
Fallout 76 won't have mods at launch but will have something sometime later
They're balancing PvP stuff to try to reduce griefing but have no specific details
You can target specific body parts in a selection based shooting system but no slowdown option.
So VATS is still in the game? Interesting.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield being playable is exciting news! So hopefully in the next two years, maybe with the launch of next gen? Next year's Bethesda's conference should be out of this world.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Starfield and ES6 will use the same technology foundation and it's being tailored for next-gen Ryzen consoles I'm sure we can all deduct.

ES4 Oblivion launched March 2006, four-five months into the X360 era life-span.
Hoping for a similar early launch for Starfield.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
OP your first point is wrong. The technology statement was referring to TES VI, not Starfield.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
So this seems like it could be a case of a developer feeling constrained by current consoles, and putting off doing their next big thing because of it. Explains why we're getting a weird Fallout multiplayer game. They probably just rolled the Fallout team and everyone else into Fallout 76 to keep them busy until the big push for Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI on new consoles.