• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
QCdZPze.png

Developer/Publisher: HumaNature Studios
Genre: Funky Roguelike
Platform: Nintendo Switch / Xbox One / PS4 / PC / Mac / Linux
Release Date: March 1st, 2019
Price: $19.99 / €17.49 / £15.79

mYoq64e.png

TJ&E Creator Greg Johnson said:
We live in a crazy modern society. Intolerance, self entitlement, isolation, material obsession, automated everything… everyone wrapped up in their own personal reality and their own brand of stressed-out insanity. What would this world look like to a couple of mellow, good-hearted aliens? What would they think of us Earthlings? Almost certainly, they would want to get the heck out of here as fast as they could.

This is the core idea that gave birth to the ToeJam and Earl games, which first found expression in 1991, and then 1993, on the Sega Genesis. The latest ToeJam and Earl game, "Back in the Groove", is a reboot of these early games.

ToeJam and Earl is what you would call a "rogue-like" adventure game. Players work together as a team and collect items (presents), which they use whenever they choose, to do a variety of things like fly, jump, throw tomatoes, go invisible, etc. Players try to avoid the crazy Earthlings, and find the pieces of their broken rocket ship so they can get back home, and away from this crazy planet. TJ&E is designed specifically to give players a variety of ways to work together as a team, sometimes helping each other, sometimes playfully annoying each other. The magic of the experience isn't in the game itself, it's in what happens between the people playing it. The game is just there to give people a stream of reasons to laugh together, and to interact with each other in playful and creative ways.

People often ask me why ToeJam and Earl sound like African-American characters when they speak… and why funk music, and not some other music genre? Well, it's how I grew up. I spent my teens in West L.A. in the early 80's and I'm half white, and half black. I have a deep love of funk music, and it was just natural that TJ&E, and the planet of Funkotron drew from that American sub-culture.

Video games as a general rule tend to stay away from ethnicity and minority sub-cultures. My personal view is "celebrate culture!" Take risks! Give your characters a voice, and roots in some world view and some specific culture. Make them feel like real people and find opportunities to represent the wonderful diversity of humanity. (queue choral music!)

This "diversity thing" can be risky from a market perspective. Satire is the same. You may offend some people, or alienate others, but if the statements you want to make are motivated by compassion and respect, and if they are there to celebrate our diversity, or to help us laugh at ourselves, and see ourselves more clearly, then… take a risk. Make a statement.

Feel the funk y'all!

Funded on Kickstarter in 2015, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove is a return to the cult classic roguelike series that started back on the Genesis. Funky fresh aliens ToeJam & Earl (as well as several of their friends and family) have once again crash landed on Earth, and as usual the parts of their Rapmaster Rocket Ship have been scattered across 25 floors. The goal of the game is to find the elevator on each floor to keep moving upwards while finding those ship parts. Unfortunately, crazed Earthlings are out to get you at every opportunity. From insane dentists to internet trolls, all manner of freaks and geeks will give chase the moment they lay eyes on you. What's an alien to do? Luckily for TJ&E, presents are lying around all over the place.

Collecting presents is the only way to survive. Each one has a different effect that could help or harm you. For instance, opening a Hi-Tops present gives you a pair of shoes that let you dash away from any baddies, while opening a Total Bummer present will instantly kill you. Just avoid the bad presents, right? Here's the catch - you don't know what's in a present until you open it. Presents with the same packaging will always contain the same item during any given run however, and the Wise Man in the Carrot Suit will identify your presents for a few bucks. And while the game is fun solo, ToeJam & Earl has always been best played with a buddy. Back in the Groove features four-player online co-op, as well as the classic local co-op (two-player on console, four-player on PC).

New features to the game include:

Amped & Broken Presents - When a present is amped, its effects are made even more powerful. If a present is broken, there's a chance it will explode in your face!

Panic on Funkotron Strikes Back - Elements from the platformer sequel like searchable trees and bushes, comically long chains of parking meters and buttons, dance-offs with fellow Funkotronians, and the beloved Hyperfunk Zone all make their debut appearance in a roguelike TJ&E game.

Death Is Not The End - In multiplayer, losing all your lives isn't an instant game over like the old days. Instead, you'll become a ghost that can spook Earthlings, search for items, and pester your pals for one of their spare lives so you can return to the world of the living.

New Earthlings - Men in black trying to erase your memory, obsessed fanboys seeking your autograph, and yetis desperate to poke you with a pencil are just a few of the absurd enemies who will hound you this time around. There's one particularly devious new Earthling that NOBODY EXPECTS!

New Presents - I won't spoil them. Some are even unlockable!

Nine Playable Characters - Best buds ToeJam and Earl are of course playable, as well as their Old-Skool selves from the original game, Lewanda and Peabo from Panic on Funkotron, Latisha and Geekjam from TJ&E III, and… Earl's Mom!?

Unique Stats, Abilities, and Starting Presents - Each character has their own stats when it comes to things like speed or luck, as well as a passive special ability. For example, Earl can eat bad food without losing health, but Lewanda can use parking meters for free. In addition, everyone has their own set of helpful presents that they start the game with.

Power Hats - Every time you complete the game, you'll receive a new Power Hat. On future runs, a hat will be randomly chosen from your collection on every floor, and wearing the hat will give you a special buff. For example, the Hat of Carrying will greatly increase your inventory size, while the Hat of Life will randomly heal you. There are even some Power Hats that can only be obtained by playing the ultimate challenge, Random Hard Mode. Collect them all!

Gettin' Chatty - When playing co-op, the characters will talk to each other - and not just in the elevator. Different combinations of characters will have completely different conversations. If you beat the game a few times, ToeJam & Earl will even start to reveal a bit of backstory as you play.

Even More? - I've heard tell of a secret ending, and a special reward if you unlock every achievement. Even I don't know what exactly they are. Who will be the first to find out?

Oh, and let's not forget the best part of TJ&E… the MUSIC! Here's just a small sample of the 30+ funky tunes on offer, which include remixes from the Genesis games alongside all-new compositions :

5ZPVgrq.png

iKmVNNs.png

Q: Can I get a physical copy of the game?

A: Limited Run Games is doing a (surprise surprise) limited run for Switch and PS4, with pre-orders open until March 30th. You can find them here!

Q: Are there any version differences?

A: As mentioned above, while all versions offer four player online co-op, local co-op is limited to two player on consoles. Consoles run at 30 FPS, 60 FPS on PC. In addition, the PC version offers a fun visual gimmick not possible on the console versions where you can see the previous level beneath you when you go up a floor, as well as the ability to type out messages to other players instead of being limited to preset dialogue options.

Q: I still don't quite understand how the game plays...

A: Don't worry, the game offers a tutorial mode that teaches you the mechanics of the game much better than I can in a short OP. And remember, it's a roguelike - learning by trial and error is half the fun.

Q: Will this roguelike be too difficult to play co-op with my not-so-hardcore partner/friend/sibling/child/pet?

A: The game includes Easy-Farty and Toddler settings to make the game easier to handle for less-skilled and younger players who want to join in the fun. (Pets may be out of luck however.) With Easy-Farty on, you take less damage and it's harder to fall off the level, but you randomly stop and fart. With Toddler on, you take even less damage, it's even harder to fall off the map, you get unlimited Food and Decoy presents, and best of all… you get to wear a crown! These settings are chosen individually per player, so veteran gamers can still enjoy the game with challenge intact.

Q: Will there be post-launch content?

A: The devs have stated they want to add even more content to the game, but it has to do well first. According to them, the game needs to sell 150K copies to be a success - so if you want more TJ&E, support this game and tell your friends!

wjupmKH.png

The giveaway has ENDED! You can still read the trivia questions and answers below, however!

1. True or False: ToeJam & Earl has a secret level where you can hop in a hot tub with hula girls.

True!

2. What Sega Genesis peripheral came packaged with a ToeJam & Earl spin-off titled "Ready, Aim, Tomatoes"?

The Sega Menacer light gun, of course.

3. What TJ&E character is the source of all funk in the known universe?

It's everyone's favorite Funkopotamus, Lamont.

4. ToeJam & Earl III's main antagonist, a floating skull called the Anti-Funk, had to be changed from his original appearance during development due to complaints from Sega. What did he originally look like?

Believe it or not, a KKK hood.

5. Which of these is not an Earthling found in the ToeJam & Earl series?

A. Duck on a Magic Carpet
B. Giant Hamster
C. Naked Guy in a Box
D. Ghostly Chicken
E. Ice Cream Truck

While there are ghostly cows, as well as chickens with mortars, there is no ghostly chicken.

Last edited:

TASTokyo

Nov 8, 2017
So excited. Backed this on Kickstarter and Toejam and Earl is one of my favourite games.

Will also buy a copy for a friend so we can be peanuts together!

Deleted member 39184

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Any early impressions on this?

I can see the soul of TJ & E 1 in there. The art direction has come a long way and is well executed. However, there is something to be said about the original game's pixel art that left a little to the imagination.

That said, they have nailed 90's cartoon look and feel, and is very easy to read. I just miss a little bit of that genesis grunge. If the gameplay nails it - I can see myself overlooking this.

I am really hoping this game scratches that itch!

EDIT: I do feel as though the levels look smaller than the OG, but I am just going off of the map

Last edited:

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be day 1 for me.

The co-op was fantastic on the OGs so I'm looking forward to that.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I learned on the amazing Retro Hour Podcast that the ToeJam and Earl creator's first project was Starflight. Respect!

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Any early impressions on this?

I can see the soul of TJ & E 1 in there. The art direction has come a long way and is well executed. However, there is something to be said about the original game's pixel art that left a little to the imagination.

That said, they have nailed 90's cartoon look and feel, and is very easy to read. I just miss a little bit of that genesis grunge. If the gameplay nails it - I can see myself overlooking this.

I am really hoping this game scratches that itch!

The gameplay absolutely nails it. TJ&E1 feels downright slow and simple compared to the new one. There are a lot more mechanics to play with and a lot more enemies with more varied effects to worry about to match. For example, one of my favorite new enemies is the Internet Troll who is more dangerous the farther you are from him. He throws nasty comments that will screw up your controls, but if you get close to him you can just slap him away and watch as he turns into a scared little boy in his underwear. Another one is the Petition Lady who chases you with a clipboard and doesn't do damage, she just steals your money for a pointless cause. There's a ton of great stuff like that.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this was out tomorrow!
Game looks great. A real modern version of the classic. Heck I think for myself, the original Toejam & Earl was the first game I experienced that had split-screen.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I had forgotten about this!
Will be picking it up on xbox tomorrow for sure!
I have great memories playing the original with a neighborhood friend --- like 26 years ago..... holy shit..

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I got the elevator groove playing in my head now.

TJ&E was a huge part of my gaming life and I'm looking forward to diving headfirst into nostalgia.
Yes, I even liked Panic on Funkotron and I'm happy they've implemented some of those elements into the game

Deleted member 39184

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
The gameplay absolutely nails it. TJ&E1 feels downright slow and simple compared to the new one. There are a lot more mechanics to play with and a lot more enemies with more varied effects to worry about to match. For example, one of my favorite new enemies is the Internet Troll who is more dangerous the farther you are from him. He throws nasty comments that will screw up your controls, but if you get close to him you can just slap him away and watch as he turns into a scared little boy in his underwear. Another one is the Petition Lady who chases you with a clipboard and doesn't do damage, she just steals your money for a pointless cause. There's a ton of great stuff like that.

Have you played this at all? Any word on the size of the worlds compared to the OG?

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any idea on the game's length? I think I remember the first one lacking a save system and needing to be beaten in 1 sitting.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played this at all? Any word on the size of the worlds compared to the OG?

I played the beta, the core of the game hasn't changed much. The levels are smaller compared to the original but have more going on in each one, very densely packed.

Do we have any idea on the game's length? I think I remember the first one lacking a save system and needing to be beaten in 1 sitting.

A normal run is pretty short, an hour or two at most. This one is meant to be played multiple times like Isaac or Gungeon.

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
I played the beta, the core of the game hasn't changed much. The levels are smaller compared to the original but have more going on in each one, very densely packed.

A normal run is pretty short, an hour or two at most. This one is meant to be played multiple times like Isaac or Gungeon.

Great thanks!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Was telling a friend this would be a prime candidate for a day 1 on game pass, maybe then it would get some word of mouth. I had no idea this was coming out neither did anyone I talked to :/

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I've always been intrigued by Toejam & Earl.
I've tried to play the original a number of times but always found it a bit too slow and passive for my liking.
Still curious about this new one, it looks faster at least.

A real shame you miss out on the character dialogue when playing single player though. With the devs had found a way to include that for us solo players too. Maybe just have the player character call the other characters on the phone or something?

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I hope this does well as these are some of my favourite characters ever, so I had to back the kickstarter and have it ordered on pretty much all systems but don't know when I'll ever get to properly playing it.

I had all the previous games on Mega Drive and XBOX (TJ&E 3) but since they were unable to implement 3/4 player local play on the consoles for this game makes it tricky for me. I know the previous games only had 2 player co-op but so many games these days allow more players than that, so I'm hoping a patch or something can come out for the console versions possibly to enable it.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
A real shame you miss out on the character dialogue when playing single player though. With the devs had found a way to include that for us solo players too. Maybe just have the player character call the other characters on the phone or something?

The stuff they say can often be context-sensitive to what's going on, so it kinda requires them to both be there. I guess it's just another incentive to play online! I know the pain since I'll be playing a lot of solo myself. From what they've said, it sounds like the backstory dialogue will be worth the extra effort.

I had all the previous games on Mega Drive and XBOX (TJ&E 3) but since they were unable to implement 3/4 player local play on the consoles for this game makes it tricky for me. I know the previous games only had 2 player co-op but so many games these days allow more players than that, so I'm hoping a patch or something can come out for the console versions possibly to enable it.

Yeah, it's down to technical issues unfortunately. You can at least go online with others while having 2 players playing on the same console, which is a nice feature that a shocking amount of games don't have. Looking at you, Smash Ultimate ranked matches.

Am I reading correctly that the Steam version doesn't have local co-op? For shame...

No, Steam has local co-op, up to four players.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Very interested in getting the Switch version. In fact, I think I will :)

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Congrats on the great looking OT, Camjo-Z !

I loved the original. I was a bit skeptical because I'm not a fan of the art style, but if my fellow friends who played the original back in the day love it, I'll probably love it too.

I even liked TJ&E 2 PoF...

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Do we know if there is a LAN multiplayer mode or just online?

Trying to decide if I just buy one copy of this on my switch for me and the wife or two copies of it for each of our switches (assuming this also means we don't have to go split screen?).

She doesn't have NSO yet, so if it is online only guess we'll have to buy a sub too.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there is a LAN multiplayer mode or just online?

Trying to decide if I just buy one copy of this on my switch for me and the wife or two copies of it for each of our switches (assuming this also means we don't have to go split screen?).

She doesn't have NSO yet, so if it is online only guess we'll have to buy a sub too.

No LAN play, just online. As for online, you can choose in the options whether you want to see the dynamic split screen, or if you just want to see yourself at all times.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
No LAN play, just online. As for online, you can choose in the options whether you want to see the dynamic split screen, or if you just want to see yourself at all times.

Awesome, thanks! Is there any crossplay? Me and my sister grew up sinking hundreds of hours into this, but her husband only has an Xbox, would be great if she could jump in too, but havent seen it mentioned.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks! Is there any crossplay? Me and my sister grew up sinking hundreds of hours into this, but her husband only has an Xbox, would be great if she could jump in too, but havent seen it mentioned.

None at the moment, the devs have said that crossplay implementation is definitely something they want to look into if the game does well though.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness for online co-op! None of my current group of friends plays video games, but I've loved the the Toejam & Earl series ever since I played the original eons ago. I'm a bit disappointed there's no Pro/X support, but they will still get my money.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, didn't realize this was out tomorrow. Or that it had four play co-op! What system to get it on, hmmm...

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

I'm sold! Great write-up.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Adored the original as a co op back on the Genesis(Hulu girls scared me, alot of the obstacles that can bump you off the map were downright scary, especially the tornadoes), the 2nd one was ehh and I don't even want to touch the OG XBOX spin on the game. Will bite on this Day One I think, didn't back it but will put 20 bucks on this.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The original TJ&E is one of my favorite games. Can't wait to jump into this one.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From zero interest to pre-ordering based on the comments in here. I think this will be fun to play with my kids :)