• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should make Riders for 95-99 for the Zi-O summer film...I think that'd be cool to give a Canon reason for why Rider took a hiatus from J to Kuuga.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Lupinranger VS Patranger 51 - FINAL

Whoa, that was a pretty great final episode. No bullshit, just the final boss letting it all out. The Thieves had a secondary role, but still, a pretty important one - and the Patrangers finally had their time to shine! Hell, Keiichiro got a super form, better late than never!

The thieves sacrifice part was pretty cool too. I mean, we knew they would be saved, but still, it was touching and well done. The plot, while it didn't really advance in a good pace, man, they made everything work so well in this ending.

HOWEVER. I really loved how they didn't make the thieves be back by a miracle, power of friendship, or anything like that, but by things happening in a consistent way with the series own rules - even if it used something not that wasn't really in the series, but on the summer movie.

Also, I really, really, really liked what they did with the loved ones becoming phantom thieves. Hope we get a V-Cinema or something with them.

---------------------------

Now, as always...

Lupinrangers vs Patrangers - The Series

I know a lot of people will not agree with me in that, but... This was a good series. However, it had a lot of problems, and most of them are kinda the same thing: Lots of potential, not used very well. The series dragged the big moments, and then, when it happened, it was kinda too little, too late. Thieves identity? Dragged until the end of the series, and then on directly to the final arc. Kogure and Noel? Dragged a lot, and then, when they finally reveal their past, it isn't that much of a deal to the overrall plot, really. Zamigo? The guy was missing for most of the series. Hell, him, Dogario and Gauche could be really, really good villains - maybe ToQ level good - if they were used just a bit better and more often.

As expected, most of the series was focused on the Lupinrangers. However, to me, it was unexpected how good the Patrengers would be. Really, they are well developed, likeable, funny, consistent - even if most of the time they are not the focus of the series. The Lupinrangers also had some development, but it wasn't as well done, imo. However, I loved how they tied everything together on the final arc.

And what a final arc. While it did follow many points of the formula, I loved how different most of it felt. That's probably one of - if not the - most memorable final arcs in years and years.

In the end... the series did a lot of cool new things, but not enough, imo. Unfortunately, we'll probably get a few less (or non) experimental series, at least until Sentai recovers... or dies. If the worst happens, I feel it would be very undeserved for LuPat to be known as the series that killed Sentai. It was a great series, but with many, many pacing problems that prevent it from being one of the greats.

Oct 25, 2017
So they don't actually resolve the collection/wish thing in the show.

wtf

I like how the red hand off takes place right after the end of the show that part was neat

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

I know a lot of people will not agree with me in that, but... This was a good series. However, it had a lot of problems, and most of them are kinda the same thing: Lots of potential, not used very well. The series dragged the big moments, and then, when it happened, it was kinda too little, too late. Thieves identity? Dragged until the end of the series, and then on directly to the final arc. Kogure and Noel? Dragged a lot, and then, when they finally reveal their past, it isn't that much of a deal to the overrall plot, really. Zamigo? The guy was missing for most of the series. Hell, him, Dogario and Gauche could be really, really good villains - maybe ToQ level good - if they were used just a bit better and more often.

Remember ? When Kogure's Behave a lot suspicious ? Goodie's was very scared Kogure ? Noel's look like not trust Kogure somehow ?
rsL9N9w.jpg

They're happy family now

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Gotta admit, i didn't like Zi-O II's design at first but the episode sold me on the form

He's like a super version of Chronos from Ex-Aid lol, but instead of pausing time he can rewind time at will to change the outcome of events and also see the future to block attacks.

Oct 25, 2017
Gagaga 3 is out!
I was watching a stream on saturday and a dude was raving about the LuPato finale. Almost made me watch it even though I dropped the show in the single digits.

Also, Shimamoto's (Aoi Honoo author) Blazing Transfer Student got a live action adpatation in 2017 and it's on Netflix since then! Blazing Transfer Students, happens years after the original story, with the MC as the current director of the school (as a stop motion figure) and clear shades of sentai. Didn't know about it at all. 8 episodes long. Will try to watch it and give impressions at some point.

They should make Riders for 95-99 for the Zi-O summer film...I think that'd be cool to give a Canon reason for why Rider took a hiatus from J to Kuuga.
That's such a great idea.

I was expecting somewhere down the line it was going to change genre.
It's an adaptation of a slice of life manga and it will have only 7 episodes AFAIK.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So did LuPat ever do anything with the black chief?

Absolutely nothing. He was a cool side character, and had some cool jokes, but was pretty much inconsequential otherwise. Another big missed opportunity, imo.

However... He was treated much, much better than most foreigners on previous series. He was pretty much just another humorous mentor, and most of his jokes and traits couldn't be attributed just to the fact he's a foreigner.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm in a bit of a denial that LuPat ended. I'm really going to miss that show, flaws and all. While it wasted a lot of potential of the concept, and did things at the end that should have happened in the middle of the series, episode by episode was always fun and had a good cast. Well, at least Keiichiro will return next week.

I guess the most frustrating thing about the show is that, unlike the mess that was Kyuranger, the changes they could have made to make the show excellent would not have been difficult or expensive to implement.

Also, did you guys know that the exterior shots of the Jurer was an actual restaurant? They have a twitter account.

Oct 25, 2017
JINGA 07
oh shiiiiiiiiit

JINGA 08
Did the small japanese construction worker just Might Action Brothers'd himself as a bigger western dude?
Laughed out loud at the dudes dropping a pair of pipes at Jinga's feet in the ending scene.

Btw, have you all seen Cross-Z in an Armani? Looks like he cleaned up after the murder charges after all.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
Gagaga 3 is out!Also, Shimamoto's (Aoi Honoo author) Blazing Transfer Student got a live action adpatation in 2017 and it's on Netflix since then! Blazing Transfer Students, happens years after the original story, with the MC as the current director of the school (as a stop motion figure) and clear shades of sentai. Didn't know about it at all. 8 episodes long. Will try to watch it and give impressions at some point.

Blazing Transfer Students is hilarious.
I wish there was a season 2 as I need more Hikari in my life

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Lupat - 51/Final

It's Okay but i don't like that loved ones become a new lupins.

i don't understand why noel are okay with that ? look like he didn't learn anything from Crucified episode.

Also Lupins Collection plot still not get resolve.

Oct 25, 2017
Due to circumstances I've been behind on the Weekly Toku. Now I'm caught up. Including the finale of Lupin vs Pat.

It was a decent but flawed show. Patrangers really needed more love in the power-up department. It took until the final episode to get Super Patren #1.
I get the feeling they purposely didn't resolve the Lupin Collection so they could have movies. At least the Ryusoulger and LuPat crossover movie.
Speaking of...another annoying case of "movie character out of nowhere" at the end there.

But overall, it was alright.

Zi-O is getting somewhat interesting at least. White Woz is a broken little fucker.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
I binged the last four of Lupin VS Pat last night- was pretty good. Ending was rushed, as always.

How dare the two Reds not kiss? Ridiculous.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Overall isn't a bad seasons but pretty much script/story get changes a lot in the second half for business reason.

Despite that It's Clearly Junko not good as a main writer, She great on make/write character development but story progress ? not so much.

Zamigo ? Who ?

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Build's finale comes closest to a gay pairing, particularly during the reveal for RabbitDragon. Doesn't specify, though.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Grease V-Cinema officially announced:

I'm pretty excited! I love Grease!

I haven't been watching Toku for a while and I'm catching up on Zi-O and finally getting around to finishing Kyuranger, my first full Sentai series. Then I'll go and finish Lupin Rangers, hopefully before the movie between the two gets subbed. I'm really enjoying Kyuranger.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The new Sentai looks great and boring at the same time. The archtypes are straight out of the handbook

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Engine Bros. need a V-Cine---Hahahahaha.

But I feel bad because I think they did so little because their stunt actor died?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-exclusive-look-at-the-amazing-new-zord-toys-coming-w-1832574607

Interesting. Definitely looks more streamlined than the gobuster mecha set which I own, which look quite chunky and not particularly close to the mecha suits lol.

Gorilla animal mode is quite different

These might actually be an improvement over the original toys. The gorilla looks odd but is much closer to the depiction in the show, and they made the rabbit a lot bigger, presumably to justify the cost of selling it separately. Plus I'm sure these won't be as fragile. I'm going to get my gobusters toys out for my son but I'm kind of afraid how the Clips are holding up.

Oct 25, 2017
These might actually be an improvement over the original toys. The gorilla looks odd but is much closer to the depiction in the show, and they made the rabbit a lot bigger, presumably to justify the cost of selling it separately. Plus I'm sure these won't be as fragile. I'm going to get my gobusters toys out for my son but I'm kind of afraid how the Clips are holding up.
It barely holds its self up out of box. Especially the 5 unit combination. I can see why recent Mecha have gotten pretty simple.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It barely holds its self up out of box. Especially the 5 unit combination. I can see why recent Mecha have gotten pretty simple.

I don't remember having problems when I first opened them up, but I know the clips wear out over time. My son actually broke my Kyoryujin because the clips couldn't hold up.

How are the Lupin vs Pato toys, btw? I know they didn't sell very well.

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the chat about Build being a gay relationship, the Kamen Rider Diner is running a White Day menu with just one item. A Banjo and Sento drink.

52188104_10156257695874065_3421727748106747904_n.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The illustration is super cute.

The Transformers collectors I know are trashing the toys very hard for looking cheap and having poor posability. Dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.