• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
With Infinity War dropping next week, I'm prepping a thread on how Legendary Battle was the worst teamup in history. I plan on including info on how they botched the invites, scrambled to make the Extended Edition, and a little more info on Super Megaforce for context. Should I include Gokaiger stuff? If so, what?

Also, ya'll think the mods would be cool with us making a viewing thread for when the 25th anniversary episodes rolls around in August?
Can always ask our friendly neighborhood mod Slayven

Can't help with Legendary War since I haven't watched it though :D

Oct 25, 2017
What's not to love about the Legendary Battle? It was hyped for a good two years and by JDF himself. It had a damn good Sentai series' worth of footage to roll with. They had a good chunk of time to organise and prepare for it unlike with Samurai. People still had vivid memories of how bad the last anniversary teamup was so we told ourselves that no one could possibly create anything worse than Once a Ranger.

Then after slogging through two terrible seasons, the actual Legendary Battle was just as Pluto says it is. The main battle has been won. The Emperor has already been killed either on his ship or on ground by a barrage of Ranger Key transformations (depending on the version of the finale you watched) and the past rangers show up just to beat up some stragglers left behind. It's essentially janitorial work at that point. At least with Once a Ranger, the past rangers have their moment of glory in equal contributions against the alliance of villains in that particular teamup instead of just needlessly turning up after the main event is over to take out the trash.

Even the appearances of the faced PR alumni who were able to make it to New Zealand were wasted. You have characters like Carter and Dana do rudimentary heroic things while ones like Karone just stares doe-eyed at this worse Countdown to Destruction rip-off and Wes and Damon just kind of nod at each other. Some of the returning alumni don't even have lines. JDF naturally has the longest heroic scene and it doesn't even make sense. That car is teetering precariously off a bridge. The kid is alone at the backseat of the car and there's no sign of his parents or whoever kidnapped him. Why is this kid alone in the car?

Build 31

There's not really much I can say about this episode besides the usual consistency of Build. It's another solid, enjoyable episode and the fiery spectacle of Cross-Z Magma is a delight to behold. Grease getting bodied and being the first to job this week is just the tertiary Rider being the tertiary Rider, though he's fared a lot better than Necrom so far at least.

All too often Rider concentrates too much focus and mystery on their central protagonist at the expense of everyone else. The secondary Riders are often quickly shafted, given very little to do and wind up looking very vestigial to the plot. Some shows handle this better than others. Gatack for example is very much on equal foot with Kabuto by the latter half of their show and is arguably the actual audience surrogate character. On the other hand you have Specter, who constantly struggles to find any sustained relevance. How Build has handled Ryuga so far is especially commendable, because he's not being given some kind of B plot that is barely connected to the main story. How many secondary Riders out there can confidently claim that they're instrumental to the A plot and in driving it forward? The journey and development Ryuga has undertaken from the very first episode up to this point easily rivals any titular Rider of their show. If anything, Grease feels more like the secondary Rider of this show. Sento and Ryuga are full-on co-protagonists.

I really do wonder what Evolt's ultimate goal is - and indeed what he even is. Was he a Martian mad scientist who wanted to advance his civilisation only to end up destroying it? But given his gleeful and methodical long game in setting everything up from Faust to Nanba's current direction in order to gather all the pieces of the Pandora's Box and the bottles together along with the ultimate homunculus and Driver, I think he just wants to be God. That's usually how it goes. I've seen this kind of plot many times before, so fingers crossed that Build puts its own unique spin on things.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, this isn't written by Inoue. Characters won't suffer just for suffering's sake.

Oct 25, 2017
DbFzJi4W4AIAOsN.jpg:large

Can't believe this is happening.

Pocket Sand

Jan 8, 2018
New Jersey
SOOOOOOOOO my heart tells me that they are using the same cafe set from Build for the cafe the Lupinranger runs in Lupato as well. They look SUPER similar.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be that guy but isn't Mars kinda of Geologically quiet? And why hasn't there been an attack named after Olympus mon?

Pocket Sand

Jan 8, 2018
New Jersey
Every cafe in toku is a precious sacred place.

cop out answer cause Ive only seen the cafes in build and lupat so far but still answer still counts hue hue hue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to say Abaranger's Dino House but then I remembered there's a pervert crocodile monster who in any decent society should be blown up for his shit.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Half-remembering most of these so probably full of inaccruacies: Gaim fruit parlor is disqualified because of the drug dealers. Nascita in Canon serves terrible coffee. Cafe in Kiva was supoosed to be good but was also in the 80s so that doesn't help me. Den-O you have to deal with people actively lusting after the owner in front of her younger brother which is a bad scene. OOOs you have Eiji there all the time and there is no way he doesn't smell terrible

Did Kabuto have a cafe or a restaurant? Regardless I would only wanna eat there when Tendou decided to show up and dunk on the employees.

Last edited:

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't think there's a thing as a bad toku café/restaurant, but the best...

Kabuto is pretty cool, lots of things happen there. I like Kiva's because of the people there, too.

On the Sentai side, Dino Curry is pretty cool! Sun Vulcan's is a restaurant and a safari, so it also gets bonus points, I guess.

Akibaranger is a special case, but yeah, that would win, heh.

Did Kabuto have a cafe or a restaurant? Regardless I would only wanna eat there when Tendou decided to show up and dunk on the employees.

It did have, a restaurant! Tendou even cooked there a couple times!

I'm tempted to say Abaranger's Dino House but then I remembered there's a pervert crocodile monster who in any decent society should be blown up for his shit.

I would say he was just exaggerated as pretty much everything in Abaranger, but even then, yeah, it was bad. Poor Ranru.

Oct 25, 2017
Half-remembering most of these so probably full of inaccruacies: Gaim fruit parlor is disqualified because of the drug dealers. Nascita in Canon serves terrible coffee. Cafe in Kiva was supoosed to be good but was also in the 80s so that doesn't help me. Den-O you have to deal with people actively lusting after the owner in front of her younger brother which is a bad scene. OOOs you have Eiji there all the time and there is no way he doesn't smell terrible

This slayed me.

Akibaranger's is the best
I actually forgot about Akiba's cafe somehow. Yeah, this is a strong contender.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few but realized I just didn't have space for stuff like that. I am also happy we have purple Kamen Riders now that aren't all gun-wielders

OP
OP
ShadowSwordmaster

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The original Amazon show was the fourth Kamen Rider show to be made. I think that is what they are trying to say.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that doesn't really make sense. I know Kamen Rider Amazon was the fourth show made, but Amazons is way past that.

""Amazon Riders", the fourth production in the Kamen Rider series, focuses on Haruka and Jin: one tame, the other, wild. The show introduces us to these contrasting Amazon Riders. The mentalities of various characters inevitably draw the viewer deeper into the the mystery of this dramatic story."

That seems to indicate that this is the fourth KR series overall. It's weird.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just Season 1 for now? Well crap. Hope 2 doesn't take too long, still need to watch that. But hey, at least it's finally available.

Status
Not open for further replies.