• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the name Rider should be dropped from any future adaptations of the series; they never ride anything, they are more warriors than riders.

Pocket Sand

Jan 8, 2018
New Jersey
Open spoilers below for Drive if you havent watched it (Im on ep 25 right now)
Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3
-Very well structured Taisen movie still felt kinda rushed in the beginning but still they did a good job with it.
-GOU SUPER DIED I DIDNT EXPECT THAT (Well touch on that in a second)
-Noticed Kiva was the only Rider not featured in this movie. Seemed like everyone but him was included.

D-Video: Kamen Rider 4
-Good tie in from the movie. Gotta watch it to finish up the whole Gou dying thing. Had it at least make sense how he comes back (technically never died to begin with from KR3)
-Made sense
-The thing with Faiz getting ret conned out of the main continuity (someone be a hero and explain this?) was strange but I didnt watch Faiz yet so thats a given.
-Kamen Rider Baron was a weird choice to be one of the Shocker Riders cause he's kinda SUPER dead and we just had a movie where someone tired to make him do bad things and Kaito was just "nah son I do my own thing."

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Riders 1

Yeah,that name definitely sucks. As for the episode,, I'm shocked that it's an hour long. Didn't really seem like a lot of padding either. Really curious to see what's going on with these experiments and how the house kid factors into all this. Egg man is gross as hell, but he got the cool transformation. Also, this show has a lower budget than the mainline riders right? The monster suits look awful.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Was Amazon Riders well received? How is it compared to Ex Aid/Build (aka my only references for Rider outside of Masked Rider english lol)

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Riders 1

Yeah,that name definitely sucks. As for the episode,, I'm shocked that it's an hour long. Didn't really seem like a lot of padding either. Really curious to see what's going on with these experiments and how the house kid factors into all this. Egg man is gross as hell, but he got the cool transformation. Also, this show has a lower budget than the mainline riders right? The monster suits look awful.
waaaaaaaaaat

Was Amazon Riders well received? How is it compared to Ex Aid/Build (aka my only references for Rider outside of Masked Rider english lol)
I only watched S1, but it's pretty great. The different tone in plot and the different take in cinematography are cool, and so is the wire fu. Not having a lot of gimmicky toys while exploring darker medical conspiracies is a nice change of pace.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, I think it was well received. It has it's issues here and there, but it's good, just way darker and the episodes are about 40 min. each.

Amazons S1 is pretty good. It's tone is different from the main series - it's aimed at adults - but still, well worth watching.
Season 2 is... still good, even great at times, but not everything new they tried worked well, imo.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
-Noticed Kiva was the only Rider not featured in this movie. Seemed like everyone but him was included.

Kiva was there. He pretty much only appears in the group scenes with a large number of Riders towards the ending though (you can see him among the Riders behind 1 and 2 when their brainwashing is broken), and then gets erased by the Great Leader, never getting any actual camera focus.

-The thing with Faiz getting ret conned out of the main continuity (someone be a hero and explain this?) was strange but I didnt watch Faiz yet so thats a given.
Faiz ended with a very open ending, but the implication that Takumi would die soon. Rider 4 basically follows up on the original ending of Faiz, giving it more closure, while also explaining how Takumi could appear in all previous crossovers.

Kamen Rider Baron was a weird choice to be one of the Shocker Riders cause he's kinda SUPER dead and we just had a movie where someone tired to make him do bad things and Kaito was just "nah son I do my own thing."
It was technically an alternate timeline even if very close to the main one. Note that Genpachi still was a Shocker monster during Kamen Rider 4.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the idea of Amazon Riders, but it was too low budget and grimdark for me to take seriously. If the show was refilled for a Western audience, I may have been more interested.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
SH Figuarts Dan Kuroto teased.

nJvYjxD.jpg

Also Evol looks like a badass endgame villain.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Build 32

Great intro today. In the end, the way they told him was... well, it was a way, I guess. The reaction was expected, tho.

And we get another Rogue heel turn... kinda. Not really. And hey, original Cross-Z!

After what Stalk said, I wonder if...

What exactly is Banjou's place here. I even wondered if it's Banjou, and not Stalk, that's supposed to be Evol, or at least something like half of Evol.

High stakes now, and again, feels like the ending is near. I wonder if Build will be also shorter than normal. I just hope it's not a repeat the same thing 10 times like Ex-Aid was.

Oct 25, 2017
Build oh god are we at episode 32 already? Where has the time gone?

• I was expecting more follow-up to the revelation that Sento's (or Katsuragi's, rather) father was originally involved in the research of Ryuga.
  • Wasn't expecting Kamen Rider Evol to appear so soon. I thought there would be a little bit more fanfare and build-up to Evolt acquiring the ultimate Driver. Evol showing up this relatively soon gives me pause (heh) because I remember Ex-Aid doing something similar with Cronus and its last arc suffered from having too little substantial material with which to satisfyingly end the show on. It was a lot of retreads after another. There should still be a considerable stretch of episodes left until the next Rider takes over, so I hope Build isn't soon about to blow its load too soon and wind up repeating things just to reach the end.
  • The way Sento shatters the initial caution exercised by Misora and Sawa and just blurts out the truth to Ryuga as if it's just a published list of bad school grades is so characteristic of them.
  • I'm glad that Grease doesn't default to the cliche of acquiescing to Nanba's demands and hand over the Pandora's Box, especially when there was no guarantee that Utsumi would have kept his end of the bargain. The Box constantly switching hands was growing very tiresome anyway and I liked the subversion of expectations. Agreeing to their demands would probably have been counter to Grease's character anyway. He's still a very sentimental man, but not to the extent that his mind loses focus of what the reality of war entails.
  • Guys, how do you forget about Rogue and the rest of Seito's troops? What is Sento doing just standing there looking gormless while Ryuga goes into Cross-Z Magma just to beat up Blood Stalk again? DO SOMETHING!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Evol
(toyguide spoilers)
He has a fairly large number forms (it should be five altogether), so it makes sense that he won't debut very late, otherwise his other forms would barely get screentime.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Regarding Evol
(toyguide spoilers)
He has a fairly large number forms (it should be five altogether), so it makes sense that he won't debut very late, otherwise his other forms would barely get screentime.

Well, worst case scenario, it's still better than Cronus...

That came back with the same suit always.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
Build 32 - MY MAGMA IS SURGING
-Protein! Ramen! Best Match!
-Sawa faceplanting is my spirit animal
-BANG!
-Love and Peace!
-I forgot about Rogue!

Lupato 11 - KUROS ARE BACK?
-They're real...
-It's gone.
-WHOOPS!
-They're gone...
-They're back.

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, given I've yet to give Amazons a proper chance, I sat down to sample the first few episodes.

My impressions so far are kind of muted, to be quite honest. There's just little to really say about it, besides the fact that it really invokes the very early Heisei Rider feel of being utterly slow with an abundance of random actors brought in just to play the part of throwaway murder victims and the MOTWs themselves. I've missed these relatively non-talkative belts and I think I recognise the actors for GoBusters' Blue Buster and OOO's Dr. Maki here. Jin guzzling down raw egg after another does make me want to puke though. I think that alone is more gory and X-rated than anything else on this show so far.

I dunno...I'm more bored than anything. I think watching Build by comparison really makes me fully appreciate what some good bits of levity can bring to the atmosphere of a show. Build's able to brilliantly mix in emotional and dramatic scenes with a decent amount of comedy that doesn't veer to the extreme kind of cartoon-like slapstick affair of other recent Heisei shows. But then you have Amazons, which is deliberately aiming to be a more dour show deliberately playing up the most brutal, animalistic qualities of the protagonists and their opponents and it's not hitting any of the right notes for me. It's too dour and gloomy. For example, I can't bring myself to care if two of the extermination squad members are now dead when 1) I barely knew any of them and struggled to tell them apart; and 2) I've never seen these characters bond or interact in any other situation other than in combat, when discussing their job or when they're mourning.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Amazons was more a gimmicky attempt at a grimdark "mature" take on Rider; while Build, despite the silly toys, has a more well made and adult story.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Dunno, I think they are trying different things. Amazons is like those fanmade Power Rangers grimdark things, but it's well done, imo. Those first few team members deaths are pretty much nothing, yeah, but I feel they did a good job of making you like the team by the season's end.

Build... it's more like a mix between early and late Heisei. That said, I think at least a few of the good things in it are there thanks to Amazons - I'm not sure Build would be like that if Amazons didn't exist.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I will say that Amazons did not click with me quickly. It took me a while to make it beyond the first two, but afterwards, I ended up loving it. I remain dissapointed that it will end on a movie, since Toei's track record with Rider movies is not good, but it is better than no ending at all.

I started watching Kamen Rider with Ryuki, so I tried to watch more from that era, but recent shows have convinced me that the levity of it makes it more enjoyable. Build's comedy elements are so good, and hopefuly future series will learn from it.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
You think mods would be cool with us making a viewing thread for the Power Rangers 25th anniversary team up in August?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
R.i.p. Verne Troyer.

Found that out on a Toku site since he played that monster in Masked Rider?

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Lupinranger VS Patranger 11

Hey, good choice for the generic grunts! The Kuros were the best.

That said... weird episode. This kinda of weirdness is something I liked in older sentai. ToQ was pretty good with that sometimes.

That said, that's kinda of a touchy theme to choose in 2018, and I don't feel the scenes with Sakuya were well done at all... That said, the fights at this episode were good, and Sakuya and Keichiro fighting using those dresses was fun. The Scissors mech transforming into Hammer was kinda creative too? Good way to show a new toy with an excuse to never use it again, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
So I managed to binge through the rest of the first season of Amazons today.

I still maintain that this was a challenge to get into. The beginning was slow and never properly introduced me to the exterminator characters before a couple of them are quickly killed off. I know their comrades are emotionally distraught at these couple of losses because they clearly knew them, but I as a viewer did not. I really didn't care who Jun Maehara was, for instance. I was also really hung up on how Amazons was just too extreme in the grimdark tone territory. It felt really bleak, drab and joyless without any of the fun or moments of levity to break up the monotonous misery and gore.

But thankfully I ploughed on, thinking I just needed a bit more time to get to know everyone. Sure enough, I did. I'm very surprised at how the show handles the exterminator crew...or at least the surviving main five, including Mamoru. I initially expected them to just be the regular jobbers you would expect of such secondary characters: show up, get wrecked and have either of the main Riders intervene to save them from their own inadequacies. Contrary to my expectations, they feel just as much as main characters as Haruka, given their ample focus and how critical the team dynamic is to shaping and influencing overarching events. I didn't like how the show only ever slightly touches upon each team member's real motivations for doing such a dangerous job for the pay cheque. I simply presumed they needed the money to eat (which is fair enough on its own), but it's only in the last episode of the season that we catch a glimpse of their private lives and what drives them: someone's in surgery, there's an elderly mother who presumably has dementia and there's an orphanage.

The final stretch of the season is supposed to set up this moral quandary where viewers can legitimately side with either Riders, but to be honest, I personally found it more clear-cut than anything. Haruka would only delay the inevitable as the surviving Amazons with depleted drugs and little food would undoubtedly awaken eventually and start horrifically cannibalising on the first unlucky dog walkers on that stretch of beach. Sorry, man, but I'm with Jin on this one. That said, I certainly felt for Mamoru. He's the only Amazon I developed any real emotional attachment to, seeing this very child-like, innocent young guy and having the sense of dread that the other shoe would eventually drop for him.

I've yet to see anything of Season 2 and I'm not sure when I will get round to it, so some of my concerns may be addressed there, but Mizuki (the sister) just doesn't do anything here. Haruka certainly thinks about her a lot, but in terms of actual agency, her only real accomplishment is to take that armband from her mother and even that doesn't amount to anything in the end as Haruka easily survives the Tlaloc chemical attack anyway. It's a shame because otherwise the season does a solid job of making all its main characters active, interesting people in their own right with clear individual motivations. Except Jun Maehara. He's still a nobody to me.

Overall, yeah, I guess it's alright. I don't outright love it like many other Toku fans do, but it's certainly not a bad show so far. I just needed enough time to gradually get into it and the moments of levity I've been looking for do exist - they're just very subtle. I certainly wouldn't want Rider to be like this all the time, so I'm perfectly content with Amazons being an experimental side project. Again, this really puts into perspective why I like Build so much. It straddles that optimal tonal zone for me where it's definitely a nice and serious story not afraid to delve into the horrific side of affairs such as human experimentation, but well balanced with enough fun and humour that I can legitimately enjoy the whole ride.

EDIT: That desaturated, greenish filter is so, so bad. I get it. You're trying to make a dark show, but it's okay to show colour and sunlight from time to time. It reminds me of Snyder's DCEU films. Just overly bleak and visually ugly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been watching much modern toku... But pretty fascinated in s3 of mmpr.

One of the few times they've had original American shot megazord footage.

The set and choreography definitely ain't amazing but it's still something fascinating to see.

Oct 25, 2017
Build 32

I laughed at just how casually Sento reveals to Banjou that he's not human.
Good guy Gentoku for a brief moment, before the chip kicks in.
Hmmm, the ultimate driver. Let's see where this goes.

Lupin vs Pat 11

I guess that's the closest we'll get to a female Red. What a weird episode.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey now, why do you need a bike when you can fly all around? Hawk and Copter bottles got a lot of use.

Why. Is. Build. So. Good.???
The dialogue has been super on point, it almost feels like there is an ad-lib here and there during the light moments.

Notice of Winning Judgment In U.S. Lawsuit Regarding "Ultraman" Rights

I'm not too familiar with Tsuburaya/Chaiyo lawsuit but CMIIW this basically frees Tsuburaya to distribute Ultraman outside Japan.
Cool beans.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm maybe I should catch up with build.

Was around eps 18.

Its a good show to marathon in batches

How's Sentai? I enjoyed the first 2 eps

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hmmm maybe I should catch up with build.

Was around eps 18.

Its a good show to marathon in batches

How's Sentai? I enjoyed the first 2 eps

It's fine. Not incredible, but could be great, if they fix a few problems and can make the enemies a bit more menacing/ramp up the plot a bit. The actors are fine, the fights are good, and they are trying to make the robot fights interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.