• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
1556760591689.png

Argh why must you tease me so?????

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Carranger. Was excellent (though not something that'll crack my top tier). I love how much it committed to its absurdity. The thing that stood out to me outside of the obvious was its OST. I'm a fan of a lot of Toshihiko Sahashi's work (Simoun, Gundam Seed/Destiny, The Big O, Gingaman) - I think The Big O would be the most apt comparison here, he's just such a genre master.

A couple episodes into Megaranger, digging it so far.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Megaranger was, for me, another of those series where, while not good enough to crack my top 10, a season I'm very fond of. It's a nice season, and the sixth is fun - he's pretty much the "how do you do, fellow kids" meme.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zi-O 33

This episode was Woz time to shine. Well, even more than normal. He trully is the oni of celebrations.

Hey, nice to see Todoroki after all this time! He's pretty Zanki now. Kiriya acting like he was Hibiki was pretty cool too. He even copied his way of speaking and body language, feels like an off-brand Hibiki. Best part is that fake until you make it is something he would do in the original series too, it's perfect.The whole pause they do when Kiriya transforms and then becomes... well, transformed Kiriya, and then it shows he's not Hibiki was pretty well done.

So, Another Hibiki is Kiriya's apprentice, that means he finished his training at least? Or is he like Akira, but decided to fake it as an Oni and even got an apprentice? Also, they didn't even use the original Hibiki's actor for a photo, had to take an in-suit one, lol.

Oh yeah, Geiz Revive's limitations were pretty much forgotten already. That was fast.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So, Another Hibiki is Kiriya's apprentice, that means he finished his training at least? Or is he like Akira, but decided to fake it as an Oni and even got an apprentice? Also, they didn't even use the original Hibiki's actor for a photo, had to take an in-suit one, lol.

Todoroki referenced him as "just an Oni", so I'd guess he is actually an official oni and just didn't get Hibiki to acknowledge him as his successor. No official oni name because... well, I guess it might be something like the SSGSS vs Super Saiyan Blue situation where Bandai refuses to change the name of a character after it's already established?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Todoroki was supposed to be Zanki like his mentor but he chose his own name. Probably Hibiki acknowledged him as an Oni but never actually handed down his name and Kiriya really wanted it for some reason lol.

I'm rewatching Hibiki right now. This show is just the best.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Ginga might be a woman? At the very least Sugita is the voice of "him", and since Sugita likely won't appear in person that seems to imply this mystery woman in the Kiva Arc preview may be Ginga.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So Ginga might be a woman? At the very least Sugita is the voice of "him", and since Sugita likely won't appear in person that seems to imply this mystery woman in the Kiva Arc preview may be Ginga.
No, the woman is Another Kiva. Ginga seems to be a suit-only alien who wants to destroy the planet.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
How are the new 20 year figurats? Thinking about pre ordering a few from gamestop.

They are meant to be re-issues,so they are the same as their original releases. The only one I could get is Ryuki, and is great, but does not include Dragredder. But the launch price more than makes up any difference.

They come with a plastic base that looks similar to a Ridewatch, which is formed by two plastic pieces and a paper printed that goes in between them. These bases are just the base, you need to add an arm and clip from the Tamashii Stage Act 4 if you want any dinamic pose.

I also ordered Ex-Aid, but got lost in the way thanks to my government. Luckly it was insured and got it refunded in full, but now Ex-Aid price is too high and can't afford it. Crazy how people complained about Ex-Aid designs, yet they all love and hoard their figuarts.

Oct 25, 2017
Oni of Celebrations 37
Look, I don't know what changed with Zi-O's production, but wow the tone of the show is super good now. Woz and Uncle rock, the new Woz openings for the episodes are perfect, the characters in general are feeling more natural, fights are better to follow, fanservice is through the roof.
A shame we are not going to get Cakeboss references, but nothing is perfect.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoulger 08

That's a good take on an obvious twist. The Deus Ex Machina powerups are kind of a boring fix-all at times, but eh, at least we get creative powers from it sometimes. Can't say the way they are using some of those powers - and with character's traits, like Asuna's bad singing - isn't funny or creative.

The new enemy commander is pretty fun, too. I kinda wish they had gone the many commanders at the same time, each with a different kind of plan/monster for variety's sake, but at least this way the commanders are getting a good amount of time to shine.

Good mix of serious, tense, fun and action in this episode.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yuri and Jiro being the returning characterss for Kiva in Zi-O is the most random thing ever unless there's a surprise. Though I guess Sugita returningcounts as a cameo as well.

Oct 25, 2017
What are thoughts on ZI-O?
At first the cameos and weird stuff (i.e. Sougo screwing up poses/finishers/one liners) carried it - besides the awesome Complementary Project. Then that stopped and Zi-O tried to be its own thing and that fucking sucked every time Tsukasa or Woz weren't on camera. Trinity form and the Agito arc are being a huge breakthrough in quality though, if that keeps up it's going to be a good season overall, shitty plot full of holes or not.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Zi-O started getting consistently good at about the time Decade started showing up, which was about the time when the show dropped the whole "Riders being erased and forgetting everything" thing which made the first part such a drag. At about this time, you have Decade returning, White Woz showing up, and better use of past riders in the show. Also, Decade is better than ever in Zi-O, where he's free to be a wild card and not struggling with the burdens of holding up the whole show.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You're absolutely right, Agito just resonated a lot to me so I defaulted to it.

Oh, I know the feeling, I'm having the same thing with Hibiki right now - It's the first of those remaining series I've watched.

Can't wait for Kiva, Kabuto and Drive. The first two are flawed but I still like them a lot, and the last one is my top 2 rider ever.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even watched Zi-O but I already have a Ziku Driver and BeyonDriver and like a bunch of ride watches because this gimmick is cool. Or that I'm a child. Either way.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even watched Zi-O but I already have a Ziku Driver and BeyonDriver and like a bunch of ride watches because this gimmick is cool. Or that I'm a child. Either way.

The way the BeyonDriver works with they reflection and everything is such a cool lower-tech deal that the show did not prepare me for. If I had the space I would be all over one.

(Doesn't hurt that Woz is the best character on the show, of course)

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the reflections also a gimmick for the Gamer Drivers? I personally liked it better with ExAid because you get the full body of the Rider, and not just the head.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I finally got to watch Heisei Generations Forever. It's so good to have a big crossover movie like this with no Kaneda ruining the action or forced Sentai advertising ruining the climax.

The movie focuses just on Zi-O and Build, with Den-O appearing only for one scene outside of battle and Kuuga mentioned throughout, but only appearing in-suit. However, the movie actually builds up to the moment of the big team up, it's not just all Riders appearing out of nowhere.
When the large scene with all Riders starts, they actually put effort to get them all actually doing things, using their special abilities. often doing combo attacks, and some even interacting with the crowd.

Some Riders get new lines (I was surprised Decade talks with his Zi-O tone in spite of having the old white belt), but even the others like Hibiki and Kabuto used recycled voice clips, rather than recasting. So, they sound just like they should. The sound mixing for these old clips also was much better than the one for Gaim in the first Heisei Generations. And they didn't just spout their catchphrases. They obviously didn't talk much, but several of them even reference characters from their shows. The only way one notices who actually had their actor and who had recycled audio is that the ones with new audio generally had lines addressing the other Riders, like telling them to advance.

The one negative point here is that they seemed to fear using Odagiri's voice, so Kuuga is in almost complete silence in spite of getting several solo close ups during the final battle. Also, there's very little form changing for the past Riders. Faiz goes Accel, but that's it. They do a lot with their base forms though.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, some updates.
I've finished watching Fourze a while ago and really enjoyed it, though the formula started getting stale for me, so I floundered around a bit.

Ultimately decided to continue on with Kamen Rider and morbid curiosity drove me to give Wizard a try. Decided to move straight to Gaim after 3 episodes.

Which I did. Gaim was a real breath of fresh air. Really enjoyed it overall, though it sure was heavy to watch at times.

I binged Drive over the last week and it's now my favorite Kamen Rider show, Shinnosuke is now my favorite Kamen Rider protag and Heart my favorite Kamen Rider antagonist.
Damn, this show was wild. I cried at the end
when Chase and Heart died.
Pretty much loved it from beginning to end and it only gets better and never hits the brakes. What a ride.
The soundtrack rocks too.

Watched the first episode of Ghost yesterday and decided to move straight to Ex-Aid. That was a real boring opener compared to Drive and I don't like Takeru.

Ex-Aid's first episode was much more interesting in comparison. Damn, this is weird. But it sure has my interest.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks how people who finished Fourze always make the mistake to move on to Wizard next.

Those trailers at the end of each episode are just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.