• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 19

This episode directing was kinda crazy, heh. Some of the cuts reminded me of Drive.

And what an asshole. I hope this guy loses.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Drive would be a great start if not for the fact it'd be odd for our first Kamen Rider to not be a rider.

But I feel "cop show with robots and cars" is an easy American sale, and the motif isn't as strange as eyes of historical figures or fruit warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
Zero One 19

Who directed this episode? Trying to convey a competition about selling houses seems odd but I thought they did a good job with that. Even the fight seemed different

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Episode 19 was the first episode of Zero-One directed by Hidenori Ishida. He was a fairly prominent director for the first half of the Heisei series (the main director for Blade, Hibiki and Kabuto) but started stepping back afterwards, just being an episode director for some random episodes up to Drive. More recently, he was the main director of the two Amazons seasons, but this was his return to tv, although again just as an episode director.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Something has bro related stopped the sentai releases. Someone asked shout on Twitter a while back.
Yeah but I still want them to continue sentai before starting a new toku release. That's just my preference, I don't want sentai to fall to the wayside if kamen rider takes off. What if they lose interest in resolving the Hasbro issues?

There's no easy starting point like there was for Zyuranger.

Don't say Ryuki or RX
There is actually. W makes the most sense, it's a detective show, so it's a theme that's easy to understand, the suit is a sleek design and would make for a great cover. W also started Hesei phase 2 so it's not a completely random series, "start of x" on the cover might be appealing to some people even if they don't really know what x is. And of course blufin is releasing the CSM drivers for W soon, so it's the perfect opportunity.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Episode 19 was the first episode of Zero-One directed by Hidenori Ishida. He was a fairly prominent director for the first half of the Heisei series (the main director for Blade, Hibiki and Kabuto) but started stepping back afterwards, just being an episode director for some random episodes up to Drive. More recently, he was the main director of the two Amazons seasons, but this was his return to tv, although again just as an episode director.

It certainly felt striking, BIG Kanji lol. I wonder if they're planning on giving each stage of the Hiden-Zaia showdown a different feel?

fg78Pqt.png

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
^Truly enjoy watching Izu develop a personality.

When I watched the show with my wife yesterday she was shocked we were only on episode 19 with all the stuff that has happened so far.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoul 42

So... they are explaining Ui's absence now by just sending her away? Well, makes more sense than a Peace Conference I guess...

What a weird episode. But it sure was worthy of demise for Wyzul, such a cool guy. He even had a couple wire moves, practical effects AND rain!

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finished watching Fiveman

It's not from the 80s, since it aired in 1990-91, but... taking series structure and style into consideration, both it and Jetman fit better with the 80s sentai than with the series that came after it.

There was some weird shit in this series. And not only the crazy things you expect from series back then, like things that didn't age well, but also... it's clear they didn't know what to do with the series. Changes of direction, tone differences, that weird 10 or so episodes where puppets commented on the episodes... They were throwing everything to see what stuck, and, to tell the truth, that was very entertaining.

Maybe thanks to that, this is a pretty good demonstration of 80s sentai. Most of those series tropes are here, and it has a couple elements from every post-Dynaman series. Villain drama? Weird alien allies, enemies and everything in-between? Weird hero powers that are used only once, if that? An ending with the heroes or their allies going into space in search of something? It's all here.

I think the strength of this series is on the characters. Not every team member got equal focus - Blue and Pink got only a couple episodes each at best, and Yellow got a lot of focus - deservedly, the actress was pretty great and did a lot of cool stunts. Red also got lots of focus, but those were normally shared with the rest of the team, so it doesn't feel that strange.

Lots of focus on the villains too! Captain Garoa could be either menacing by himself, or a complete goof on some of the weirdest episodes. Billion had a couple focus episodes, but man, did he shine as an asshole on those - almost a proto-Radiguet in assholery, but with less ambition. Dongoros was the funny one, and had some of the weirdest plans on the series. Dodora and Zaza... were the weakest link here, but even them weren't bad, just... didn't really have many memorable moments.

And then, we have the Gingaman. Not the 1998 Sentai, Gingaman, but the evil Gingaman, five monsters that form an evil team. They have the weirdest debut episode ever, and feel like a one-off thing then, but no... They are back, bringing their own Captain, Chevalier. And... oh man, Chevalier. What a character. He's a soft-spoken commander that loves singing, and - at least on his debut - is way more competent than Garoa and his team. The actor (who also did Green Flash on Flashman) really goes all out with this character, and it's he's such a pleasure to watch. His debut also brings the previously listed villain drama - he and Garoa are on a power struggle, one that goes from Chevalier's debut to almost the end of the series - and it's really interesting and well done.

Aaaand... whoa, I didn't expect to write this much heh. Anyway, Fiveman is good. If you want a taste of what a 80s sentai was, this is a very good choice, in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
So here's an interesting Power Rangers rumor

The people behind the Russian dub indicate that Gavan may be showing up in Beast Morphers Season 2. A character named "Chaku" is set to appear. Gavan's transformation cry was "Jouchaku". Hopefully this isn't a waste of a cameo like Jiraiya in Ninja Steel.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm betting on it being a waste of cameo too.

Anyway...

01 - 20

Gai is such an asshole. Can't wait for him to lose his mind later in the season.

But yeah, the way I see, those competition episodes will be first one setup, the second one resolution with also bringing the plot forward a bit. Slower pace than before, but some breathing room is nice. May also help to not fumble the ending.

Oct 25, 2017
Zero-One 20

Man, I can't wait for Gai to get humbled. It's almost 23/24 so the mid-season upgrade should be coming in.
Amusing that they built five carpenter HumaGears that all act the same.

Ryusoulger 43

Endgame has begun. How are there four more episodes of this?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoul 43

So, Wyzul will be back at the end/after series? Hope so.

Eras is like a mother/queen Druidon, huh? I wonder how the final battle will be. And we finally got Master Black plus more Bamba backstory! So, after failing being Red, Nada was supposed to be Green but... also didn't, heh. Poor guy, he got shafted at every chance. I wonder what's the thing with Master Black. Something like "I did that to protect you all" or anything like that?

Oto going all "should we just run away" now is kinda... out of character? That was weird, but it was nice having the team making plans for after the final battle. Even Green and Black got a "before the final battle scene". So, will the final arc drag for another five or so episodes, or there will be a lot of things happening? From the scans, I expect good things.

Oh, Master Black is TimeRed! It's good to see him back on sentai. Hope he (and maybe some of his teammates) also come back on the anniversary season. With Gokaiger and then Super Sentai Battle Royale setting the precedent, that could be a great fan-service season.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ryusoul 43

So, Wyzul will be back at the end/after series? Hope so.

Eras is like a mother/queen Druidon, huh? I wonder how the final battle will be. And we finally got Master Black plus more Bamba backstory! So, after failing being Red, Nada was supposed to be Green but... also didn't, heh. Poor guy, he got shafted at every chance. I wonder what's the thing with Master Black. Something like "I did that to protect you all" or anything like that?

Oto going all "should we just run away" now is kinda... out of character? That was weird, but it was nice having the team making plans for after the final battle. Even Green and Black got a "before the final battle scene". So, will the final arc drag for another five or so episodes, or there will be a lot of things happening? From the scans, I expect good things.

Oh, Master Black is TimeRed! It's good to see him back on sentai. Hope he (and maybe some of his teammates) also come back on the anniversary season. With Gokaiger and then Super Sentai Battle Royale setting the precedent, that could be a great fan-service season.
For the anniversary stuff they typically stick with the popular series where the actors aren't too big, and I don't think Timeranger fits that.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
For the anniversary stuff they typically stick with the popular series where the actors aren't too big, and I don't think Timeranger fits that.

I was thinking about the next Gokaiger-style season, maaaybe next year. Gokaiger had cameos of every series, and some less popular series got arcs (or shared arcs, in the case of Timeranger/Kakuranger, I guess), so it's possible, if not likely.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hello! Been on a Kamen Rider kick this week. XD I got on Amazon Prime again recently and thought about Amazon Riders, cause I actually kind of started that but didn't go far previously, but then that led into thinking, hey maybe I will look at what other Riders catch my eye also.

I am now freaking hooked on Ex-Aid lol. Wacky designs and gaming theme definitely made this really stand out for me. It is goofy, but it is a lot of fun, and I do love the rider designs. Maybe not the coolest looking riders, but they definitely have a certain nice charm to them, and the forms being based on different gaming genres are really damn good.

A few episodes in, and I am excited for what is to come. Maybe deep down, I have longed for this kind of show again for a while ha ha.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I love that Hiiro is all WTF at the rhythm mini-game, failing, but of course he gets the rhythm game gashat, and becomes HarmoKnight or whatever (thinking of that one gamefreak game lol).

Oh man. You're in for a treat. You should watch Gaim next if you want more wacky designs and edge of your seat story.

Fruit theme is nice, plus Gen Urobuchi is involved with it, so yeah, I will probably get around to that one too heh.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finished Agito

Great series overall. Still a bit drama-like, but nothing close to Kuuga or Hibiki part 1. It's interesting to see how the series evolved from Kuuga with steroids, on the first couple episodes, to it's own thing. The three main riders were really solid characters, fun when needed, well developed, with good character arcs and everything. Shouichi and Hikawa interacting with each other and with other characters were always a pleasure to watch.

Ryou... well, he was suffering. The writers must really have hated the character, because he only gets a little bit of happiness if the authors are going to take it away from him on the next episode. Still, he's the one character with most growth, and easily the character I liked the most. Too bad about the actor.

The police in Agito was... quite something, lol. How can Hojo fuck up so much, every couple episodes, and still gets to do whatever he wants? Hell, in the end of the series he totally falls upwards! Really, he's easily the weakest point on this series - his conflicts aren't even interesting most of the times, it's just him throwing a tantrum because things didn't go his way, or doing something to be noticed. He, single-handily, made the Agito police look a thousand times less competent than Kuuga's.

The other support characters are good. Mana is fine, doesn't get on the way, is helpful when needed, and is somewhat important to the plot. Omuro is fun. Ozawa is amazing, and the one people in the police with more than a couple brain cells. Taichi and the professor are fun side-characters.

Also, worth noting, the G4 movie is pretty good. Up there with Surprise Future as a great toku movie that fits with the series.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ex-Aid is only going to get crazier. I am so excited for you.

:D

Got to episode 10 last night, and I enjoyed these last couple episodes of the riders starting to work as a team. I especially like what kind of game was used to get the ball rolling on that lol.

Looks like I be getting through the Xmas stuff later tonight, oh boy! I also see that there is a crossover movie that takes place between Ep 10 and 11, but I kind of feel like waiting to see the movies later. Should I watch it now, or does it not matter?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
:D

Got to episode 10 last night, and I enjoyed these last couple episodes of the riders starting to work as a team. I especially like what kind of game was used to get the ball rolling on that lol.

Looks like I be getting through the Xmas stuff later tonight, oh boy! I also see that there is a crossover movie that takes place between Ep 10 and 11, but I kind of feel like waiting to see the movies later.
Ex-Aid actually references Heisei Generations in the show itself later on, although it's nothing really big so you can continue without it (it actually becomes a big plot point for one of the Ex-Aid post series movies though). Heisei Generations also has a plot reveal months before the show too.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ex-Aid actually references Heisei Generations in the show itself later on, although it's nothing really big so you can continue without it (it actually becomes a big plot point for one of the Ex-Aid post series movies though). Heisei Generations also has a plot reveal months before the show too.

I was just planning to watch all of the movies in order after the show really.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So, um, yeah. Dat Xmas episode in Ex-Aid.

Honestly, this shot kind of says it all.

LNxkyAo.png

Quite a freaking tonal whiplash that is just bewildering, but oh my god, OH MY GOD, the new Dangerous Zombie. <3 A gashat based on zombie games is so damn cool, and I just love everything that was shown in the introduction of it. It such a badass looking design, the henshin is awesome, and it spawns zombies! I think this already became by far one of my favorite Riders.

Still, wow at the end. Certainly didn't expect that kind of thing so soon, AND ESPECIALLY IN A XMAS EPISODE. Major kudos for pulling this off lol.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Zi-O movie the other day and it's definitely one of my favorite Rider movies now. It was a great way to end the Heisei era.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So, um, yeah. Dat Xmas episode in Ex-Aid.

Honestly, this shot kind of says it all.

LNxkyAo.png

Quite a freaking tonal whiplash that is just bewildering, but oh my god, OH MY GOD, the new Dangerous Zombie. <3 A gashat based on zombie games is so damn cool, and I just love everything that was shown in the introduction of it. It such a badass looking design, the henshin is awesome, and it spawns zombies! I think this already became by far one of my favorite Riders.

Still, wow at the end. Certainly didn't expect that kind of thing so soon, AND ESPECIALLY IN A XMAS EPISODE. Major kudos for pulling this off lol.
Merry Christmas! Lmao that episode rocked the hell out of me the first time around.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Rumor about Metal Hopper Cluster

It's virus key designed to seal Aruto's power, but instead it makes him go crazy

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoulger 44

"They have an hostage, what should we do?" "ATTACK!!!". Then the monster remembered he had an hostage heh. Well, that was solved fast. Still 4 episodes to go? I wonder how much will happen in that time. Kinda surprised to see yet another general this late, expected all the new ones to be copies.

The reveal was... kinda outta nowhere, but it works I guess. And Oto gets to pilot a mecha! Good mech battle too.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just came here to say yall better be backing The Wonderful 101 kickstarter. Also, how's 01 comjg along? I fell behind just as the secondary rider got wrecked by the fourth rider.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Just came here to say yall better be backing The Wonderful 101 kickstarter. Also, how's 01 comjg along? I fell behind just as the secondary rider got wrecked by the fourth rider.

It's doing pretty great. New arc is is a bit slower, but things are still happening. Sixth rider is kind of an asshole.

Next week 01 gets a Hazard style powerup.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Also, how's 01 comjg along? I fell behind just as the secondary rider got wrecked by the fourth rider.

With the new arc, I'm getting slightly tired of Aruto's "both sides" shtick. When you got humans directly mistreating and killing HumaGears in front of you, when you know they're on the verge of sentience, or allowing these dumb competitions to go forward in the face of clear sabotage, it just feels dumb.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
With the new arc, I'm getting slightly tired of Aruto's "both sides" shtick. When you got humans directly mistreating and killing HumaGears in front of you, when you know they're on the verge of sentience, or allowing these dumb competitions to go forward in the face of clear sabotage, it just feels dumb.
Yeah I can definitely see how that would be frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.