• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
tokuera22pk3i.gif

Gif by WillyFive

Previous OTs:

WELCOME!

Is this Power Rangers?

Yes! And no! Power Rangers is an adaptation of Super Sentai, which is a tokusatsu series. However, tokusatsu as an genre is way bigger and more varied than just adults in spendex fighting rubber monsters! There are adults in fake armors fighting rubber monsters, adult in spendex fighting each other...

Now, seriously, tokusatsu is a japanese type of action series/movies that makes heavy use of special effects, which can include CG or practical effects. Many tokusatsu focus on superheroes fighting monsters or other superpowered beings, like Kamen Rider. Others focus on giant monsters, like Godzilla. Others combine some elements of both sides, like Super Sentai/Power Rangers and Ultraman.

Here on this thread we focus more on the two more mainstream tokusatsu series currently airing in Japan - Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. However, we have Metal Hero, Ultraman, Garo and Godzilla fans, so feel free to talk about any tokusastu series!

So, which series can be considered Tokusatsu?

Good question! Some of the more known Tokusatsu series are:

Super Sentai

The series Power Rangers was based on. A team of heroes fight monsters, first as a team, and then with a mecha fight. Nowadays, Sentai series are more focused on a younger audience - however, most of them still have more mature themes and writing than their Power Rangers counterparts.

Some recommendations:
  • Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991)
  • Mirai Sentai Timeranger (2000)
  • Juken Sentai Gekiranger (2007)
  • Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (2011)
  • Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (2013)
Also worth checking out: Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (1994), Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger (2003), Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (2004), Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (2009)

Kamen Rider

This started as insect, bug-themed heroes, riding motorcycles and destroying monsters, but nowadays the series has evolved and some of those elements aren't as present as in the past. Instead, current Rider focuses, normally, in one hero, and it's episodes are more serialized than Sentai. While every Rider series has their monsters, at times the focus can also be the conflict between Riders, or even at times more than one group. It's focused on older kids and women, so it may have a more complex plot and themes may be more complex and nuanced at times.

Some recommendations:
  • Kamen Rider Amazon (1974)
  • Kamen Rider Den-O (2007)
  • Kamen Rider W (2009)
  • Kamen Rider Fourze (2011)
  • Kamen Rider Build (2017)
Also worth checking out: Kamen Rider Gaim (2013), Kamen Rider Drive (2014), Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (2016)

Godzilla

The classic monster movie franchise, where the star is a giant, nuclear-powered lizard. Godzilla has appeared in mediums, in many ways, so it's representation may vary wildly - some focus on Godzilla as a menace, others focus on the battle between Godzilla and other monsters, while in some, Godzilla may even ally with humans, if only to destroy a bigger menace.

Some recommendations:
  • Godzilla (1954)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971)
  • Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995)
  • Shin Godzilla (2016)

Ultraman

Another classic series, where giant warriors from Nebula M78 fight giant monsters. Those series have stories that, at times, connect with older series, but most are easy enough to follow even if you didn't watch them. Oh, and they still use lots of practical effects, so the fights and choreographies are a big draw for those series.

Some recommendations:
  • Ultraseven (1967)
  • Ultraman Nexus (2004)
  • Ultraman Mebius (2006)
  • Ultraman Orb (2016)

Garo

Armored Knights fight demons to protect humanity. This is a more adult oriented series, so it may contain more graphical scenes and nudity. All the series and spin-offs are linked between themselves, so it is recommended to watch those series in order, or at least check if the series is a direct sequel to another.

Some recommendations:
  • Garo (2005)
  • Garo: Makai Senki (2011)
  • Garo: Makai Retsuden (2016)

Metal Heroes

This is an older series that ran from the 80's until the late 90's. The basic premise is Heroes in metallic armor combat the menace of the week, but there are huge variations between the series: The first three had Space Sheriffs against monsters, Juspion diverged a bit from that by giving the protagonist a giant robot. Metalder fought against many foes at the same time, and Jiraya was Ninjas vs Ninjas. There were even three series from the early 90's were focused on rescue heroes facing more mundane menaces. Some of those elements were transfered to certain Sentai and Kamen Rider series.

Some recommendations:
  • Uchuu Keiji Gavan (1982)
  • Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion (1985)
  • Choujinki Metalder (1987)
  • Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya (1988)
  • Tokkei Winspector (1990)

Power Rangers

Last but not least, here are the one everyone knows, the western adaptations of Super Sentai. It follows pretty much the same formula as it's origins: team fight first, then a mecha fight at the end. Power Rangers seasons can either be a direct adaptation of it's origin season with western actors, or do a completely different thing with the series footage.

Some recommendations:
  • Power Rangers In Space (1998)
  • Power Rangers Ninja Storm (2003)
  • Power Rangers Dino Thunder (2004)
  • Power Rangers SPD (2005)
  • Power Rangers RPM (2009)

Also worth checking out: Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (2000)

Others!

While those are less common nowadays, there are many, many other tokusatsu series, from Japan and even other countries: Shotaro Ishinomori, creator of Kamen Rider and the two first Sentai series, also made many series in the 70s and 80s. Tsuburaya Productions, Takara Tomy and Toho also made some less known tokusatsu series, with varying degrees of success.

Some recommendations:
  • Kaiketsu Zubat (1977)
  • Seiun Kamen Machineman (1984)
  • Madan Senki Ryukendo (2006)

Also worth checking out: Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop (1988) (No english subs, yet)

Is anything outside of those lists worth watching?

Of course! This list was made with suggestions from many members, and I tried to pick things with different tones, settings and eras, so there's probably something here for everyone - but different people like different things, and there are many divisive series that some people love and other people hate.

If you want more specific suggestions, feel free to ask! We will gladly suggest something that may be of your liking.

What are the current series?

Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger

sEK8KBc.jpg

Five young warriors from the Ryusou Tribe are chosen as knights to fight the Druidon Tribe, that once reigned over the planet until a meteor hit the earth, and wants it back. Rumors say this is a "Last Chance" for Sentai, and Toei is throwing everything that worked in the past into this series - This feels pretty much Kyoryuger with small touches of other series.

Power Rangers Beast Morphers

1aob3ck.png

In the future, a secret agency mixes a new discovered element with animal DNA to create a new team of Power Rangers. However, an evil sentinent computer virus called Evox is trying to take over the Morphin Grid, and corrupts two of the original Ranger candidates. For the first time, Hasbro is in the helm of the Power Rangers series, and the first few episodes show some potential!

Ultraman Taiga

GGv0zNx.png

Aliens have been emigrating to Earth secretly, but only a handful knows about this truth. The main character works for an organization takes care of cases related with aliens, and uses his Ultraman powers to protect the peace.

Kamen Rider Zero-One

HkRovr2.png

The first Reiwa Kamen Rider! In a futuristic setting where humans and AI - known as HumaGears - live together, Hiden Aruto is the CEO of the leading company in AI development, and also Kamen Rider Zero-One! He fights against a terrorist group that hacks the HumaGears to turn against the society. The government is also involved, with A.I.M.S., who works to destroy the sabotaged HumaGears.

Any other series that aired this year?

Super Sentai Strongest Battle Reunion Special

Everything has to have a Battle Royale mode now, even Super Sentai. A mysterious girl named Rita gathers sentai heroes from the past on the planet Nemesis, where she tells them any wish they desire will be true to the winner team of the tournament. Directed by Koichi Sakamoto, so there's a big chance that the action will be good, and that girls will do badass things, probably in fanservicey ways.

Tokusatsu GaGaGa

Not tokusatsu, but focused on them! Based on a manga, it follows the life of Kano Nakamura, an office lady that has a secret: she loves tokusatsu, but is ashamed and tries to hide it. Hilarity ensues.

Kamen Rider Zi-O

The finai Heisei Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider Zi-O, travels through time, meeting other Riders and obtaining their powers, so he can become the ultimate Overlord. Some people don't like that. Oh, Kamen Rider Decade is there, sometimes. There's also a guy called Woz that's actually two guys now that makes the show worth watching.

Any series coming soon?

Not that we know of! This year already had a new Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Sentai. However, there's always the possibility of something new surprising us!

Where can I watch those series?

• If you are in Japan, or have access to japanese channels, TV Asashi airs Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every Sunday Morning, 9AM and 9:30AM Japan Time.
  • Shout Factory sells Super Sentai and Power Rangers DVDs. It also has some Super Sentai and Ultraman series on their streaming series.
  • Crunchyroll lost much of it's Ultraman content, but still has some of the newer series streaming.
  • Hidive has some Garo series.
  • Netflix has Power Rangers, but the series and episodes avaliable may vary a lot, depending on your region.
  • There are some other licensed DVDs out, depending on your country. US has Kamen Rider V3 and soon will have Juspion DVDs. Brazil has many Metal Heroes and some older sentai.
  • For non-licensed series, there are fansubs. Won't link them here, since they are at best at a grey area, but it's pretty easy to find subs for most recent series, and even for some older.

Where can I get tokusatsu news?

Do you guys have a Discord where we can discuss tokusatsu?

Yes!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
We use it a lot to discuss news, older series, and at times we even live watch some episodes and movies.

Special Thanks!

Thank you ShadowSwordmaster, WarRock, Willy Five, LordVas, KingDirk, javadoze and everyone at our Discord group! Without you, this OT wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Perfect timing. I was wondering if Kamen Rider Amazons (or Amazon Riders in English) is worth a watch

Depends on what you are expecting. It's a more adult/grimdark and violent series than other Kamen Rider series. Lots of blood, violence and misery. The first season is pretty good, and the second one, while worse, has some great moments.

If you want a tokusatsu with a more mature twist, it's well worth watching.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Are they still saying if this series doesn't do it , sentai is canceled?

Oct 28, 2017
Are they still saying if this series doesn't do it , sentai is canceled?

Pretty sure this is just fan speculation rather than official. Sentai is on a pretty strong downtrend though. Would be interesting if there was a legit source on someone linked to Sentai production saying this could be final, though.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowing down with my Kamen Rider Fourze watch, been feeling some franchise fatigue, so maybe I'll take a little break from Kamen Rider after Fourze and maybe watch some Super Sentai next.

Anyway, I'm posting because I just watched episode 35 and the rock rendition of Hayabusa-kun was amazing.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure this is just fan speculation rather than official. Sentai is on a pretty strong downtrend though. Would be interesting if there was a legit source on someone linked to Sentai production saying this could be final, though.

It's a rumor originating from a 4chan leak that got tons of details about the upcoming Sentai mini-series (before it was ever announced) and Ryusoulger right alongside posting pictures of (at the time) unreleased trailers for Cross-Z's movie. So, it's not official, but it's likely based on actual comments running among the production staff.

I've been slowing down with my Kamen Rider Fourze watch, been feeling some franchise fatigue, so maybe I'll take a little break from Kamen Rider after Fourze and maybe watch some Super Sentai next.

Anyway, I'm posting because I just watched episode 35 and the rock rendition of Hayabusa-kun was amazing.

Are you going by chronological order? If yes, then that might be a good idea since Wizard just gets worse about sticking with the "format" used by the shows during those years (W, OOO, Fourze) and doing nothing with it. Gaim is a big departure though.

Oct 25, 2017
It will be an interesting year indeed.
Heisei era is ending, more dinosaurs in Sentai, Hasbro Rangers (and the toys look really good too)
Interesting thing at ToyFair, apparently they got the original DaiZyuJin/Dino Megazord costume from Japan. I think it's a more recent creation like the one used in Go-Busters vs Gokaiger where they transformed the Megazords.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It will be an interesting year indeed.
Heisei era is ending, more dinosaurs in Sentai, Hasbro Rangers (and the toys look really good too)
Interesting thing at ToyFair, apparently they got the original DaiZyuJin/Dino Megazord costume from Japan. I think it's a more recent creation like the one used in Go-Busters vs Gokaiger where they transformed the Megazords.

Yeah, they claim it's the original, but it must be the one from Gokaiger vs Go-busters. Back in 199 Heroes, Toei themselves just used a stock picture of the Daizyujin for a group shot, so there's no way the original suit was that well preserved.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Are you going by chronological order? If yes, then that might be a good idea since Wizard just gets worse about sticking with the "format" used by the shows during those years (W, OOO, Fourze) and doing nothing with it. Gaim is a big departure though.
I was actually planning to go back to something older for a change before continuing on in chronological order, either Agito or Ryuki (I started with W).
Not sure where to start with Super Sentai tho.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Awesome work on the new thread!

I'm just now about half way through Kyuranger. I'm still loving it. Lucky has grown on me a lot and I love Ohtori even if his costume is a little iffy.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was actually planning to go back to something older for a change before continuing on in chronological order, either Agito or Ryuki (I started with W).
Going back to older series will give you a big overall style change too, actually so that should work out.

As far as Sentai goes, it depends on what you want, I guess. It's generally more episodic than Rider. There are a few more plot focused series, but even those start very episodic (like Gekiranger and Magiranger). The recommendations in the first post are all fairly different fan favorite series too.

Jetman mixes running relationship drama (including with some villains) with random monster of the week stuff, Timeranger actually tries to go heavily on episodic drama, Gokaiger is a crossover series featuring a wide range of suits and characters, while Kyoryuger is a very over the top series full of colorful characters and a very large team (standard core team, but many extra rangers) that's slowly introduced throughout. The villain designs are very goofy though.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Depends on many things.

Want something dramatic? Jetman or Timeranger are good choices.
Funny? Kakuranger or Carranger. Abaranger if you are ok with early 2000s bad CGs.
A series that makes you feel good? Megaranger and Magiranger are good choices.
Something older, janky but good? Sun Vulcan and anything from Bioman to Liveman are good.
Wanna see cool fights and decent plot? Gekiranger.
Want to try a big of everything? Gokaiger is actually a great first series choice, even being a tribute season - each arc has a bit of the feel of the series it pays tribute to. Most of the times, if I liked the Gokaiger arc, I ended up also liking the original series.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of recommending Gokaiger, but I don't know how they will react to the tribute to the other shows.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll always recommend a particular show, but then make a recommendation you should just pick a team that has cool suits, and watch that show. There's a billion shows already, might as well go with whatever theme catches your eye. You can always quit and move on, but try to give it 5 episodes before you ditch it.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT! Let's go

tumblr_p92egjCxJX1vas4iuo1_1280.png

tumblr_p92egjCxJX1vas4iuo2_1280.png

Also, Drive, of all shows, got recommended over Gaim?

tumblr_pgs66ivCh91sl0uxfo1_500.gif

Gaim is still the best television show with the Rider name on it.

I was thinking of recommending Gokaiger, but I don't know how they will react to the tribute to the other shows.

Despite its premise, Gokaiger works extremely well as someone's 1st show. Not only is it a great, complete, show; it also works as a sampler for 30 years of series.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hey everyone, we're going to live watch the Super Sentai Special Thingy debut on our Discord channel in about 50 minutes, feel free to join!

Zi-O 22

Kids these days, using their Mirror World... Mirror Sougo creepy as hell, props to the actor. And hey, that kinda works as a third Rider in sequence with another personality!

And Woz is hit by the third Rider curse, he won't stop jobbing now.
Zi-O, however, he's OP now. He has all the Oma Zi-O powers already?!

I like the Zi-O II armor. It's like that mirrored doom box meme, but it's not too messy or anything. It kinda feels like what an pre-Decade final form would be.

And wait, Sougo never got the Ryuki watch, did him? I wonder if that'll become a plot point someday, or they'll just forget it. Well, there's a Ryuki miniseries, but that's probably more a Ryuki Sequel than a Zi-O thing.

Nice OT! Let's go

Gaim is still the best television show with the Rider name on it.

Despite its premise, Gokaiger works extremely well as someone's 1st show. Not only is it a great, complete, show; it also works as a sampler for 30 years of series.

Oops, brain fart. I'll add Gaim to the other recommended series - Gaim is still a great unique series with some great twists.

I'll also add Ex-Aid, since it was on the top recommended last year.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And wait, Sougo never got the Ryuki watch, did him? I wonder if that'll become a plot point someday, or they'll just forget it. Well, there's a Ryuki miniseries, but that's probably more a Ryuki Sequel than a Zi-O thing.

Sogo and Geiz are part of the cast for the Ryuki special, although Shinji is listed as the main lead. The point of no Ryuki Watch is that he wasn't erased again, which is what will allow something like that upcoming Ryuki special to happen. Sogo had been attempting to avoid new watches being created since the Shinobi arc too since he doesn't want to erase the Riders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Both Liveman and Ohranger have strong starts and endings, for me, but the middle is a bit ehhh.

The Sentai Special is a four episode miniseries, it'll air at the sentai timeslot.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Build is a top-tier series to marathon.

Got a bit behind in the end but I think with the whole series available probably some pacing issues are cleared.

I gotta re-watch it honestly.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Super Sentai Battle Royale thing was pretty fun, pure fanservice. Can't wait to watch it subbed to understand a bit more, heh.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Realizing that Stinger and BoukenSilver share the same color scheme was my biggest surprise of the first episode.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In all honesty Ryusoulger Red has like the same face as this girl I'm talking to...it's really distracting.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, but I have to agree that the Sentai/Rider recommendations are kinda questionable. Gekiranger, and no mention of Shinkenger? Build, and Gaim gets stuck in the honorable mentions? Again, great OP, though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I recently finished Patranger vs Lupinranger and loved it. Really loved it. I'll try to write something about it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
LOL. Even people who don't know about Ryusoulger are making the same conclusions.

It's not, but the guess is that Toei is going back to ideas from some of its best performing series.
Considering the actual Kyoryuger 2, a Kyoryuger sequel would only be different from this by having some returning characters popping up (which could still happen considering the odd lack of past Dino Teams in Strongest Battle). Somehow the actual Kyoryuger 2 didn't even bother somehow tying "Neo Deboss" into the previous "Deboss" and was just a completely standalone story aside from Torin, Canderilla and Luckyuro hanging around.

Status
Not open for further replies.