• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Finished Kamen Rider Build over the weekend. Easy 10/10. One of my new favorites, just an absolutely excellent show all around. It started a tad slow but once it got moving, it never stopped. Basically cried through the last like, 4 episodes. Everything was executed so well and the emotional beats hit really hard. This one is definitely gonna stick with me fore a while, Now that I've seen W through Build, I jumped back to Kuuga and will now work my way through Phase 1! Only 5 episodes in but really enjoying it so far.

Debating stopping at Kiva and watching Showa before Decade seeing as there are a few Showa era Riders that appear in Decade.

If you really want to watch all the series Decade pays tribute to, watch only Amazon -> Black -> Black RX

...but then Amazon has a recurring character, and RX has a crossover with previous Riders. Oh no, lol.

Still, I'd watch only those three. Even Amazon I'd say it's not really necessary, since Decade's Amazon has little to do with the original.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need to rewatch Build. It was my first one since I fell back in love with KR, and I feel like it keeps sleeping down the list and I need to remind myself how good it is.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
It really is!

If you really want to watch all the series Decade pays tribute to, watch only Amazon -> Black -> Black RX

...but then Amazon has a recurring character, and RX has a crossover with previous Riders. Oh no, lol.

Still, I'd watch only those three. Even Amazon I'd say it's not really necessary, since Decade's Amazon has little to do with the original.
That's how it always goes with these things it seems, haha. I appreciate that advice! I definitely do one day wanna watch it all, but I have a weird fascination with Decade. I hear mixed things, but I hear the main character basically carries the show on his back and the directing on the OP is really cool. Also that Gackt song whips ass.

That's how I feel about Fourze, hah.
Kinda in the same boat. I adored it when I watched it and I'm sure if I rewatched it I would still absolutely love it, but if feels like an eternity ago and I keep ranking shows over it now. Wonder if I would put it higher if I rewatched it...

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think it's very telling that the Shinkenger/Decade crossover takes two episodes of Decade, which is an already short series. Shinkenger dedicates to the crossover just a few minutes on two episodes if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That was a different era where Sentai could still go toe to toe against Rider, lol.

Decade as a series is a mess. It's one of my least favorite series, but it has it's moments - love the Hibiki arc.

Decade, the Rider, in the series is kinda meh, but outside his own series? Great character.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, how much KR have you watched since Build finished not even a year ago?

Uh.

Build
Drive
Amazons
Ex-Aid
Gaim (through 28 episodes)

I saw Decade, W, Ryuki, Wizard, and OOO years ago. And I didn't like Fourze but I quit kinda early. I adored Ex-Aid, probably my fave, and Drive was super good too. And now Gaim is something else. All the betrayals and twists and craziness. Lawd.

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was a different era where Sentai could still go toe to toe against Rider, lol.

Decade as a series is a mess. It's one of my least favorite series, but it has it's moments - love the Hibiki arc.

Decade, the Rider, in the series is kinda meh, but outside his own series? Great character.
It's really funny how Decade became with great character in crossovers, but sucked in his series.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly like Tsukasa more in Decade than his other appearances. I liked how much of a glorious jerk he was and his relationships with his friends and the other Riders.

The series itself butchered the Rider series it adapted to the point where they weren't recognizable.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's very telling that the Shinkenger/Decade crossover takes two episodes of Decade, which is an already short series. Shinkenger dedicates to the crossover just a few minutes on two episodes if I remember correctly.

At that point it also seemed that Decade didn't know what the hell it was doing, so was just chewing up arcs with whatever worlds it could.

The series either never really had an endgame, or the original plan for the summer movie was to bring back the original actors but they fell back on Shocker/Showa stuff once they realized that they wouldn't be able to get enough of the actors. Or whatever it was, the plot completely fell off once Arakawa left.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Well, not Riders, but in Decade's movies there are quite a few villains that are based on the original series and receive little introduction in Decade itself since it's assumed the Japanese audience already was at least somewhat familiar with them. There are also ones from Black and RX though (and also two from X, although one of them actually gets a proper introduction in Decade tv and the other just appears out of nowhere for a movie battle).

At that point it also seemed that Decade didn't know what the hell it was doing, so was just chewing up arcs with whatever worlds it could.

The series either never really had an endgame, or the original plan for the summer movie was to bring back the original actors but they fell back on Shocker/Showa stuff once they realized that they wouldn't be able to get enough of the actors. Or whatever it was, the plot completely fell off once Arakawa left.

I think it still had an end-game at that point, even if it was different from the original. It's very likely Sho Aikawa left due to the sudden change of direction when they decided to add the Showa Riders since apparently the reason was disagreements on the direction of the series. Still, it seemed like there was still a plan at that point if you look at the Yonemura episodes rather than the guest written ones (To be fair, there were many guest writers in Decade's later half. Yonemura only wrote Hibiki and then Black RX and on).

The issue was the transition between the tv finale and the post-series movie, which underwent through heavy production changes resulting in a very inconsistent final product. Not only it didn't match the tv finale by the time it was finished, it had elements that were only in the movie due to needing to keep around props and actors from early drafts that made no sense anymore. Tackle was only in the movie because originally Stronger was supposed to be there too, but they decided to cut down on guest Riders and so had a new Tackle suit and actress that had to be used in spite of the original context being lost. The original name for Movie Wars 2010 that appeared in some early theater listing was "Kamen Rider Decade vs All Riders" which clearly doesn't fit the final movie where most Riders don't even appear on-screen.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Name your top 3 rider kicks.

1. Kabuto's roundhouse
2. Kamen Rider Gil's
3. Any version of the Crimson Smash

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
YumOsWzl.jpg

Still waiting for The Answer.

To this day, I'm still not sure that they can actually grant a wish.

The Lupins Collection looks more High Technology than Mystical items like Eyescons or Ranger keys.

Goodie and Jackpot, Both pretty much are A.I. that get installed into a collection by Arsen

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
YumOsWzl.jpg

Still waiting for The Answer.

To this day, I'm still not sure that they can actually grant a wish.

And due to how the versus movies are handled, the movie that gives an answer to that likely won't even be written by the Lupin vs Patranger staff (if it addresses that at all). It will be written by Ryusoulger's staff (or Arakawa). They really shouldn't leave things like that for versus movies.

Devius (Deboss' creator mentioned in the ending of Kyoryuger as a much bigger threat) was wasted in Toqger vs Kyoryuger, and Go-Busters vs Gokaiger had a few vague details from Gokaiger's finale (they went to the Zangyack's planet for some reason, right? ) but all the specific information was completely forgotten (they were supposed to be after the second greatest treasure in the universe which was in the Zangyack's home planet).

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Dang, how much KR have you watched since Build finished not even a year ago?

I've only been a fan since December 27th, 2018 and I've seen W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid, Build, and 10 episode of Kuuga so far lol.

Decade on the Wizard epilogue is the greatest.
My only exposure to Tsukasa is from Wizard. He has such a genuine air of coolness and charisma to him, it made it impossible for me not to like him immediately. I know Decade is considered divisive, but that sold me on the character and I can't wait to watch Decade.

Oct 25, 2017
Name your top 3 rider kicks.

1. Kabuto's roundhouse
2. Kamen Rider Gil's
3. Any version of the Crimson Smash
Solid ass list.

Ex-Aid's first one is bretty MIGHTY, but I'll would probably go with

1. Faiz/Faiz Accel Crimson Smash
2. Fourze Rocket Drill/Stronger Electro Drill
3. Agito's kick - I just really like the vibes with him doing the stance and absorbing the giant Agito symbol on the ground+the horns opening

Honorable mentions:
First Wizard kick/Garren's Rider Kick
The legendary Verde's Rider Kick:

V3's Return kick
The first Ex-Aid kick (AERIAL RAVE)
Skyrider absolutely GTFO kick

Drive's first one because it's really stupid
How can you call Maximum Spider stupid smh

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Top 3 Rider Kicks?

Faiz - Axel Crimson Smash
7C75B8F2BF75E5BBD5F5CB412744B44406C35FB7

Kabuto - Screw You Roundhouse (Where he charges the Kick in-between other hits.)
1389550219107.gif

Kamen Rider Accel Trial Maximum Drive

Oct 28, 2017
What does Kabuto do if the enemy doesn't rush at him?

Enemies always rush Kabuto. He's always doing something beforehand that enrages them, like parrying and slapping them. Then they get dumb enough to attack.

There is an instance or two of him doing some regular Rider Kicks in the show, though, usually in tandem with Gatack.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoulger 12

LOL Tyramigo's quiz. I really like this idea of the sentinent mecha getting jealous when they get new mechas. I also liked the MotW premise of wanting to be something else. If Ryusoulger doesn't kill sentai, I hope they use something like that in the future.

And Gaisorg is back! I wonder who he is, I bet it's Takaharu.

It's probably the sixth, but that's no fun.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So Juspion and New Cutie Honey are coming out on Blu Ray this summer. Are they any good? For reference, I loved Cutie Honey The Live and I've never watched a Metal Hero show outside of Big Bad Beetleborgs.

Oct 25, 2017
So Juspion and New Cutie Honey are coming out on Blu Ray this summer. Are they any good? For reference, I loved Cutie Honey The Live and I've never watched a Metal Hero show outside of Big Bad Beetleborgs.
Juspion is a quintessential old school toku IMO. If you are okay with 70s cheese and lame looking robots/suits, go for it. The amount of posing is absolutely legendary.

:lol:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Isn't Juspion kind of an odd place to start with metal heroes?

On a side note, I never knew as a kid he wasn't a space sherrif like Gavan, Sharivan, and Shaider. He looked so much like them.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Metal Heroes are the odd ducks of ""mainstream"" toku anyway, any show is a good entry point IMO. It's not like watching Gavan will prepare you for Jiraiya, for instance.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I feel bad that I fell off Lupin vs. Pato, because I really loved its theme and dug the first two episodes. Is it worth getting back into?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I feel bad that I fell off Lupin vs. Pato, because I really loved its theme and dug the first two episodes. Is it worth getting back into?

The show favors too much one team over the other, and never really follows on the premise as it should. It also fails on the oveararching plot, but episode by episode is fun. I actually prefer it to Ryusoulger, and miss the show, flaws and all. So fun, but really flawed I would say.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Cutey Honey Live had some downer moments and Honey being this mindlessly, happy gynoid was a bit unsettling.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen Juspion but I watched Winspector as a kid and was obsessed with it, it was a lot of fun.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Juspion is a good place to start, since it's independent from both the space sheriff series and from the series that came after. And yeah, like WarRock said, it has a lot of 70s toku cheese, even if it's from the mid 80s.

It also has a weird thing were it copies/references many things from other places. First episode has a cheap star swars vibe to it, the main villain is a giant fake Darth Vader, Juspion's mentor is not-Gandalf that reads a galactic bible. Oh, and one of the songs is called Galaxy Tarzan, because Juspion was orfaned when he was just a small child.

Speaking of the songs, the soundtrack is also pretty great.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who's only seen Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (Don't know the actual JPN Title) when i was like 14, y'all have really got me interested in Build by reviews alone.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So Zero-One might be insect themed?!

There's this rumor about his collectibles being insect cards, but it feels like wishful thinking at this point. I didn't see any rumors about that before the recent placeholder silhouettes and it has been mostly ignored on 5ch.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Movie poster for Over Quartzer with a fairly big reveal, also hints at past Riders we might get in the movie.

A new form beyond Grand Zi-O?

CdqVKSY.jpg

In the mirror shards there are the three movie Riders and then various other Riders, including Meteor and Mach in some of the bigger ones. The smaller ones seem to show the main Heisei Riders in their Ultimate forms and a selection of secondary and movie Riders including New Den-O, Ryugen and Skull.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.