• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You get a few mopey side characters in Fourze but Gentaro is basically like the ultimate friend. I wish I had someone in my life that was so good at getting you pumped about yourself

Yeah, Fourze is such a feel good series. Gentaro is a great friendly protagonist, and only Drive's support cast comes even close to Fourze's, in my opinion.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ryusoul 13

Ohhh, now the plot is getting good. I kinda forgot the knights were so old, lol. They didn't think this through, I mean, if she dies, how can she tell them about their master? Anyway, I wonder if he's Gaisorg or something. That is, if Gold isn't Gaisorg.

Also, holy hell, this Victim of the Week's problem was that it just wanted to die but can't, whoa.

The mechs bounding was such a fun scene! Very good mech battle, too.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

First trailer for Ryusoulger's movie and Over Quartzer, described as the true final chapter of Zi-O.

In the Ryusoulger movie, they go to the dinosaur age and the secrets of the origin of the ryusoul tribe are revealed, alongside a giant Minosaur in the present.

In the Zi-O movie, they go back to the Sengoku era and meet Oda Nobunaga to stop Krim's ancestor from being erased, which would also erase Drive and Mach. Other scenes show the appearance of the "Quartzer", the rulers of history and apparently Woz's true faction - with the similar outfits and now the reveal that he seemingly betrays Sogo and the others for them. That part of the trailer where Sogo is angrily lashing out he's talking about how he stole the Rider's powers.

The final scene ends with Woz rejoicing the birth of Sogo as the true great demon king, with the final shot in the clock room afterwards featuring him describing this as the last page in Heisei Rider history.

Last edited:

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any report yet on how Ryusoulger is doing, ratings and/or toys sales wise? I kinda dropped it a few weeks ago (didn't have time really), but just resumed it, and i'm still enjoying it.

Also, Asuna is the cutest Pink Ranger. Her character's adorable.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they're gonna surprise us with Takeuchi in the movie like how Hesei Forever got Den-O back.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I brought this up before re: Ultraman Taiga but the show is due in July and they haven't shown any footage of the cast since its announcement. ICYMI the original actress for the main heroine role had to be replaced in order to not piss of China. She starred in some docu-drama about a Taiwan president.

If I'm reading this translated tweet right, Tsuburaya allegedly have to reshoot over four months worth of footage because of the recast.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Has Shout ever considered licensing Rider shows, or is that too much of a cost nightmare?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any report yet on how Ryusoulger is doing, ratings and/or toys sales wise? I kinda dropped it a few weeks ago (didn't have time really), but just resumed it, and i'm still enjoying it.

Sales-wise, Bandai Namco doesn't drop its first quarter earnings report until August.
nR07OHV.png

These were the last numbers. They cover the last fiscal year, released in May.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As far as Ryusoulger goes, once you compare the report for the 9 months of the last fiscal year and the one for the full fiscal year, you get the first quarter of Ryusoulger moving 2.1 billion yens. Here are numbers of the previous series for comparison (all taken from the Bandai financial reports, but split and added up based on the currently running series).

SmXG7il.png

It's rather low, but there is an issue. Due to the beginning of the series getting moved, while most shows there had two months airing for the first financial quarter (or rather, last one of the previous year), Ryusoulger only had one month. So, if the sales could keep those numbers for another month, rather than falling quickly like usual, it could be doing well overall. However, Bandai's expectations for the next year would only put Ryusoulger around Ninninger and Zyuohger numbers if they're correct, and they were writen after they saw the data for its first month, so its numbers might not really be anything special.

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Meteor is accurately expressing all of my feelings toward the Fourze crew since he showed up. The villain design for this season is on point though.

Oct 25, 2017
I am up to episode ~23 of Kuuga and what the fuck

Should've watched this much earlier. It's so, so, so good. Like, "this may end up being the my personal best rated Rider season" good.
Recap episode aside (that I kinda saw coming, they probably blew their budget after ruining two trucks lol), every single episode is exciting and keeps the pace and stakes. No filler, all killer.

The teacher arc is superb, and there's little touches here and there (the mask Godai gifted Sakurako falling from the wall when he is poisoned, Jean kicking himself because of Mika, the comraderie between the cops) that work well and make the world/characters feel real and alive.

All of the ""flaws"" I've heard about Kuuga were regarding pacing and characters but so far they are all complete bullshit.

Oct 28, 2017
I am up to episode ~23 of Kuuga and what the fuck

Should've watched this much earlier. It's so, so, so good. Like, "this may end up being the my personal best rated Rider season" good.
Recap episode aside (that I kinda saw coming, they probably blew their budget after ruining two trucks lol), every single episode is exciting and keeps the pace and stakes. No filler, all killer.

The teacher arc is superb, and there's little touches here and there (the mask Godai gifted Sakurako falling from the wall when he is poisoned, Jean kicking himself because of Mika, the comraderie between the cops) that work well and make the world/characters feel real and alive.

All of the ""flaws"" I've heard about Kuuga were regarding pacing and characters but so far they are all complete bullshit.

A lot of Kuuga criticism comes from the fact it feels like a much more grounded J-Drama than just spandex karate bugmen fights with ridiculous cosmological plots. A lot more nuance to it than the usual tokufest. Its a treasure of a show and everyone should watch it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The people who dislike Kuuga generally don't care about all the world building regarding the police slowly uncovering the Grongi's nature or society's reaction to them. If those elements hook you in, it's a very unique series. Agito often gets recommended as an improved Kuuga, but in spite of the Kuuga references and police involvement all that world building vanishes and it's much closer to later Rider seasons.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm re-watching Kuuga at the moment and I'm really enjoying the police involvement. They're highly competent yet completely outmatched but still, they keep trying their best to fight the Grongi despite the overwhelming casualties they suffer each time.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I've seen 45 episodes of Kuuga. Gonna finish it tonight. This show is S tier. The episode with the high school kid as the target is probably my favorite two-parter in the series. Really made the Grongi feel truly terrifying. Kuuga does so many cool things as far as direction goes. I always read about how they wanted to destroy the image of the Showa Kamen Rider and it really feels like it succeeded in that. There are genuinely moments that feel like a horror movie. Might be one of my new favorite Rider series. It's seriously just way too good. Godai and Ichijou are such a cute duo too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen 45 episodes of Kuuga. Gonna finish it tonight. This show is S tier. The episode with the high school kid as the target is probably my favorite two-parter in the series. Really made the Grongi feel truly terrifying. Kuuga does so many cool things as far as direction goes. I always read about how they wanted to destroy the image of the Showa Kamen Rider and it really feels like it succeeded in that. There are generally moments that feel like a horror movie. Might be one of my new favorite Rider series. It's seriously just way too good. Godai and Ichijou are such a cute duo too.
So, that is something I wanted to touch on but decided to hold off until I watched more of Kuuga, but...
I feel like Urobuchi tried his hand at descontructing Rider, half the classic tragic Ishinomori hero, half the colorful justice champion from TV with Gaim, and failed spectacularly at that. So far, it kinda feels like Kuuga is doing something similar, but I am not that deep to affirm one way or another.

If Kuuga keeps up though, then it's going to lower my opinion of Gaim even more because of that.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
So, that is something I wanted to touch on but decided to hold off until I watched more of Kuuga, but...
I feel like Urobuchi tried his hand at descontructing Rider, half the classic tragic Ishinomori hero, half the colorful justice champion from TV with Gaim, and failed spectacularly at that. So far, it kinda feels like Kuuga is doing something similar, but I am not that deep to affirm one way or another.

If Kuuga keeps up though, then it's going to lower my opinion of Gaim even more because of that.

I'm not exactly a Gaim fan either, so I agree lol. I also felt similar about how Build did a lot of similar things, but way better. Now that you pointed that out about Kuuga, I think it makes me care about Gaim even less now too lmao.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think he was trying to make a deconstruction with Gaim though. He had several interviews at the time and it just sounded like he wanted to make his own take on Kamen Rider based on what he loved about the franchise (like the Black vs Shadowmoon battle, especially in the manga) or using an evil power to face evil.

HH: How do you feel about tokusatsu in general?
Gen: I love the Space Sheriff series, especially Gavan. There's also Kamen Rider Black that I used to watch in high school.Especially the Kamen Rider Black manga by Shotaro Ishinomori himself. It wasn't exactly targeted towards kids and that final scene was so amazing.

HH: What is your general idea on Kamen Rider?
Gen: I really like the whole using evil to fight evil idea. The early Riders were remodeled by Shocker to fight for evil, but instead they used that "evil" power to fight for justice instead. The power itself might be evil, but it's all up to how it's being used. This is present in most of the Riders.

HH: Have you taken any inspirations from types of media for Gaim?
Gen: Hmm, not really. I'm writing Kamen Rider for the first time after all. While I'm creating something new, I don't want to stray away too much.
However, you might see some throwbacks to my favorite, Kamen Rider Black. The whole Rider Battle is actually because of Kamen Rider Black. I loved how Black fought Shadowmoon, his own step-brother. I want to create the same excitement I got for the newer generation.

Oct 25, 2017
....If he was trying to channel the Black conflicts through the Rider x Rider stuff he also failed spectacularly IMO. Nailed the horror with the fruit turning people into monsters, maybe, but the rest, huh. We certainly have very distinct visions of Black.
(Also it totally feels like he was reiterating from Ryuki again, no matter what he says)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
....If he was trying to channel the Black conflicts through the Rider x Rider stuff he also failed spectacularly IMO. Nailed the horror with the fruit turning people into monsters, maybe, but the rest, huh. We certainly have very distinct visions of Black.
(Also it totally feels like he was reiterating from Ryuki again, no matter what he says)

Keep in mind that he mentions the Black manga there as his favorite, which did have Black and Shadowmoon teaming up before facing each other and the whole deal about the winner of the battle reshaping the world, also future visions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. If his Kouta x Kaito was trying to evoke manga Black x Shadowmoon, he missed the mark completely.

Though I can't say that if Ishinomori actually finished the story he wouldn't have gone with some crazy world traveling god Black at the end like Urobuchi did.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay soooo life got a little out of hand so I missed the last SEVERAL weeks of Toku.

I've caught up with Ryusoulger. It's pretty good. Melto is the best.
I wonder if we'll see the Prime Minister again.

I'll watch Zi-O now.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Finished Kuuga. I think this show is one of the finest pieces of media to come out of this franchise. Excellent around. Such great characters and world building. The writing and directing were phenomenal. It's such a grounded show, it was a nice change of pace from the Phase 2 stuff I'm so used to now.

I usually know next to nothing every time I go into these shows outside of the main Rider design, but I can't say I was looking forward to this show. Really glad to see the revival of the franchise was such a strong comeback. This one is gonna stick with me for a while. S tier show, for sure.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Agito. Can't say I really enjoyed them, but it's early so I'm not too worried yet. Like the throwbacks to Kuuga, those are pretty neat.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Add me to the liking Kuuga (I'm a bit past halfway, about ep. 27) and not caring too much about Gaim, through I feel some of Gaim's problems may not have been Urobuchi's fault, but more of a marketing thing. I would watch an Amazons-style Kamen Rider Black adaptation by him. Maybe without the target demographic and selling toys expectations, he can do something trully great. Then again, many of the problems with Gaim *are* clearly his fault.

I can't wait for you to watch Hibiki, klabautermann. It's a very divisive series, and I'm kinda interested on which side you'll go.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Gaim was a real mixed bag tbh. Like Kaito as a whole is one of my favorite Riders, but boy when it had a misstep it was bad. I'm halfway done with Fourze, and it def has picked up, and I like Meteor quite a bit. Kuuga is next up on my list followed by Kabuto.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Add me to the liking Kuuga (I'm a bit past halfway, about ep. 27) and not caring too much about Gaim, through I feel some of Gaim's problems may not have been Urobuchi's fault, but more of a marketing thing. I would watch an Amazons-style Kamen Rider Black adaptation by him. Maybe without the target demographic and selling toys expectations, he can do something trully great. Then again, many of the problems with Gaim *are* clearly his fault.

I can't wait for you to watch Hibiki, klabautermann. It's a very divisive series, and I'm kinda interested on which side you'll go.

We will see! I will say as it stands, it's the Heisei Phase 1 series I"m looking the least forward to, but Kuuga was also in that category and I don't actually know much about any of these shows outside of their openings. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

Gaim was a real mixed bag tbh. Like Kaito as a whole is one of my favorite Riders, but boy when it had a misstep it was bad. I'm halfway done with Fourze, and it def has picked up, and I like Meteor quite a bit. Kuuga is next up on my list followed by Kabuto.

Yeah, I love Kaito but he was really the only thing carrying the show for me and then I wasn't too fond of where they went with him in the end, but that was the least of the problems I had.

Glad you're coming around on Fourze a bit. I love Meteor a ton. His base design is probably my favorite Rider design. Ryusei also feels like he could be the protagonist of his own show and he makes a great counterpoint to Gentarou.

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Zi-O

So by the end of this, Zi-O will be in the upper echelon of OP Riders right? Because he is getting crazy powerful. The Kabuto arc with the meteor was already nuts, but seeing Grand Zi-O in action... oh man.

So what's the gimmick with Zero One?

Oct 28, 2017
Well, dude reports *everything*, even some pretty silly rumors, so it's not surprising he gets a lot of things wrong.
However, I remember him getting at least some things right for Ryusoul?

Everything he reports that has no source is always bullshit, and I think he pulls it out his arse. Like with Zi-O, it was an /m/ post that was full of correct info but had some silly stuff like Zi-O being female, which a lot of people actually believed up until casting just because the suit had a bulky breastplate.

I just don't trust leaks like that until we get the catalogue with the big horrible watermarks. At least then we know how the suit looks.

Oct 25, 2017
Ryusoulger 9-12
Almost caught up! This show is the hypest. Kreon and Tyramigo are easily the best characters.
Seriously, look at him. The cutest.

Y4fY0m1.jpg

spaM0rG.jpg

Though Wyzul and Kreon are also great in their weird relationship lol
Oy1bomn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.