• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing that Valkyrie is sporting a different helmet than what Lighting Hornet usually looks like, it might just be blurry, but the masses don't line up if it was just that or maybe it's something in the background around her helmet (red-colored shadow possibly?), I might be extrapolating this a little too much

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing that Valkyrie is sporting a different helmet than what Lighting Hornet usually looks like, it might just be blurry, but the masses don't line up if it was just that or maybe it's something in the background around her helmet (red-colored shadow possibly?), I might be extrapolating this a little too much
The red bits are just a hornet emblem on the background.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thouser looks kind of lame now that we've got a better look at him but...

"I'm trying to create a new mythology" is a fucking badass line.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Today's zero one felt like a series finale and a series premiere at the same times.

Assualt Shining Hopper is legit powerful without bullshits and tricks. THEN Aruto learns how to use it

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The Lord is with me. We're back to 3-2 composition. Red, Blue, and Yellow are male, Pink and Green are female. [Link, Link #2]

I don't know what it is, but the design feels a little 80s in style. The shiny skull caps of the helmets feels like Bioman, the headlights and shoulderpads are a bit Boukenger, while the suits are sort of Kakuranger. Lots of flamboyance in the posing too.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, the seperated mouth guard and visor look is giving me some serious 80s vibes as well. The overall suit design like Lupinranger reminds ke of Dekaranger, but there is also some magiranger in there with the visor shapes and the shoulder pads.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Ooh, I like those suits. So simple, but they look nice. Bonus points for having a female green again. The boots are very Ryusoulger. I really like the helmets. Very sleek.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm not liking the suits going only by design - They give me a Goggle V vibe, and feel like a mishmash of many previous suit elements. Some colors like Green look kinda off too. But, eh, gotta see in action!

Ryusoul 38

"Wait, Canalo will also get a power up?! That's new!". Seriously, now, if the next series has powerups like that, I hope they are better distributed between the team. I miss the team powerups. Maybe now that sentai was downgraded we have some hope of the non-red and gold members of the team not getting shafted, I guess.

Now, that said, it was cool that the other members got *some* time to shine this episode. They had to be saved by Canalo and Kou, but eh. I'd say Ryusoul is ok with giving everyone a bit of development, but is terrible with making the non Gold/Red members to be actually strong.

And hey, the minasaur being based on Gachileus was a cool touch, and Kreon even got his payback!

Ryusoulcalibur, heh. Was Gaisorg's blade Ryusouledge? Also, the "Final" powerup looks cheaper than the previous one, lol. This one should've been either the shared one or Canalo's. Kou still uses Max, but it's pretty much a finisher form now. Nada died for nothing in the end, huh?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They really are. Wish we get something like that again, someday. Hell, Red can even get an exclusive powerup based on the team powerup later, if they really want to make him special! Dekaranger kiiiinda did that.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Wow @ the new Sentai. I'm digging the outfits for these guys, but I rarely dislike Sentai outfits. Typically they lose me with casting, zord design, and the overall plotting. I still think the way forward involves more than 5 Rangers, but whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Zero-One 16

Damn, Shining Assault Hopper is powerful as hell. It's almost final form strong.

Looks like ZAIA is taking over as the big bad now. Surprised that Horobi survived.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
01 - 16

That's a really good way to do the recap.

Now... that's a christmas episode. Not as shocking as Ex-Aid, but holy hell, everything changed! We even got the christmas death early, and a reversal, huh?

Can't believe they really are using an aggressive takeover as a plot device.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last good Sentai villains? The last one i actually enjoyed was the Octupus dude from the orb space one

True. I wish they did something more ambitious than just "an extra ranger' this time. A mini-squad of 3 would be dope.
I say do 9 starting rangers, have them have different themes and mechas. Eps rotate focus on teams

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of rotating teams, but after both Kyu and LuPato I have 0 confidence in their execution. Hell, they can barely rotate focus episodes of single members of 5 man teams in an interesting way.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
When was the last good Sentai villains? The last one i actually enjoyed was the Octupus dude from the orb space one

I say do 9 starting rangers, have them have different themes and mechas. Eps rotate focus on teams
The ToQ villain was popular. I would say the issue is that the popular villians tend to be the ones with face actors, but Sentai has been doing that less often. They tried with Zamigo in Lupat, but the actor's schedule screwed it up. There's also the fact that Sentai writers love to have the big bad do nothing until the end of the series.

True. I wish they did something more ambitious than just "an extra ranger' this time. A mini-squad of 3 would be dope.

Just make him Kirameisilver:
maxresdefault.jpg

I love the idea of rotating teams, but after both Kyu and LuPato I have 0 confidence in their execution. Hell, they can barely rotate focus episodes of single members of 5 man teams in an interesting way.
I feel like Kyuranger did a decent job. A lot of the characters had their own arcs and gave good reason for certain ones to split off for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that three or so characters were highly favored over others and the quality of most arcs was very very very bad and led to little or no character development at all.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that three or so characters were highly favored over others and the quality of most arcs was very very very bad and led to little or no character development at all.
In modern Sentai only red and maybe the sixth really get notable character development. The rest are there for providing a specific archetype that has been in Sentai for decades.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds, I was watching Jetman and they killed out the big bad's boss in 2 eps. like ep 18 and 19

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I have not seen a lot of its contemporaries, so I don't have a great frame of reference, but Kyuranger seemed... okay with char focus. Part of the problem was that it had so many characters, which, in a way, I can see as a bit of an excuse to the Red-pandering by making Lucky the focal point for the others. Basically everyone got their episodes/short arcs. A few characters felt like they could have gotten some more focus but, at least once they toned Lucky down a bit, I don't think character focus was one of the Kyu's chief shortcomings, at least as far Sentai goes.

Anyway, Hiro Mizushima uploaded an interview clip with him and Yuki Sato.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
The look they've chosen for Gai fits the character so well. Dude is so oily and arrogant and I can't wait to see what fresh hell he's going to put our leads through.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The look they've chosen for Gai fits the character so well. Dude is so oily and arrogant and I can't wait to see what fresh hell he's going to put our leads through.
Yeah, but he is 2 minutes away from becoming a joke character. But then again Shin Gai might be fun, I am looking forward to the sequal mini movie where he gets the One Million Percent form

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but he is 2 minutes away from becoming a joke character. But then again Shin Gai might be fun, I am looking forward to the sequal mini movie where he gets the One Million Percent form

I am personally hoping they don't try to re-create Dan just because so much of that was the actor's insane commitment and I don't see how you can count on that again. It's also harder for me to see him reaching anti-hero status but I've been surprised before.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Kyu really wasn't all that bad. Pretty in line with the rest to be honest. Outside of the Red, maybe Blue, and the sixth, most sentai don't get much to do. Kyu added Orange to that.

I feel like in the end I knew who all those characters were. They stood out and most of them had decent character arcs as well. For a series which had so many characters, that should've been hard but I think it was actually because they had so many characters. Can't just do "The Girl", "The Smart One", "The Strong One" when you've got to fill out eight other characters afterwards.

I need to rewatch the starbeast saga one day

I need to actually finish Gransazer in general. Also, this reminds me of how much more they were willing to try with Tokusatsu in the 2000s. RyuKenDo, Tomica Hero, GranSazer/Justirister/Sazer X. It feels like now there's "more" stuff but from the same franchises: Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the end I knew who all those characters were. They stood out and most of them had decent character arcs as well. For a series which had so many characters, that should've been hard but I think it was actually because they had so many characters. Can't just do "The Girl", "The Smart One", "The Strong One" when you've got to fill out eight other characters afterwards.

I need to actually finish Gransazer in general. Also, this reminds me of how much more they were willing to try with Tokusatsu in the 2000s. RyuKenDo, Tomica Hero, GranSazer/Justirister/Sazer X. It feels like now there's "more" stuff but from the same franchises: Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai.
Seems since like after Rescue faire everyone gave up, except for the odd garo project. Even that has slowed down

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Seems since like after Rescue faire everyone gave up, except for the odd garo project. Even that has slowed down

Garo turned into anime. Three different seasons, they must've had some success. Kind of a shame, as I think Sentai has gotten stale and Ultraman's Kaiju nature has never appealed to me. Rider is Rider, but there's room for more than that out there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Aren't Toku ratings super low because of stuff like Pokemon, though? Or did that reverse in recent years?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't Toku ratings super low because of stuff like Pokemon, though? Or did that reverse in recent years?

Yeah, tv ratings are very low. Zero-One is actually having a small increase over Zi-O, but the gap is small so it doesn't change things overall. Still, box office has actually improved in the last two years, and in this case the overall ceiling for Sunday morning programming might just have fallen a lot. Even One Piece struggles to hit 5% ratings nowadays, while previously it easily got around 7 or 8% even hitting 10% sometimes.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, tv ratings are very low. Zero-One is actually having a small increase over Zi-O, but the gap is small so it doesn't change things overall. Still, box office has actually improved in the last two years, and in this case the overall ceiling for Sunday morning programming might just have fallen a lot. Even One Piece struggles to hit 5% ratings nowadays, while previously it easily got around 7 or 8% even hitting 10% sometimes.

Oh, I was just using that as a possible reason why they're not expanding Toku, at least not more shows for kids (they've obviously done a lot more adult fan oriented stuff and specials)

Status
Not open for further replies.