• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
48 damn eps and they do virtually nothing most of the time for the rest of the cast

Yeah... hope that's not the case. I had some hope for Bamba this season, but it'll probably be nothing.

Zyuoh was cool, pretty much everyone got equal development and Yamato was a really good red. Lupin at least had some Yellow episodes, thanks to the actress.
And Kyu, while some characters didn't get any development past their first episode (Garu), others like Champ, Stinger, Naga and Balance got as much focus as Lucky, if not more, at times.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... hope that's not the case. I had some hope for Bamba this season, but it'll probably be nothing.

Zyuoh was cool, pretty much everyone got equal development and Yamato was a really good red. Lupin at least had some Yellow episodes, thanks to the actress.
And Kyu, while some characters didn't get any development past their first episode (Garu), others like Champ, Stinger, Naga and Balance got as much focus as Lucky, if not more, at times.

I didn't hate Yamato in Zyuohger, but it felt like something was missing with him. (Well, with the Red. The suits themselves were real bad, like Teespring-printed onesies.) He's in the same category as Right and Hiromu. They neither enticed nor repulsed.

I absolutely hated Takaharu. Which is rare. The last one I hated before him was... Jyan in Gekiranger?

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I didn't hate Yamato in Zyuohger, but it felt like something was missing with him. (Well, with the Red. The suits themselves were real bad, like Teespring-printed onesies.) He's in the same category as Right and Hiromu. They neither enticed nor repulsed.

I absolutely hated Takaharu. Which is rare. The last one I hated before him was... Jyan in Gekiranger?

I think he's better than Right at least because he isn't the center of everything, every time. But yeah, for sure comparable with Hiromu.

And yeah, Takaharu was, by far, the worst red. He got better when he started being the butt of everyone's jokes, but it was too little too late. Don't care much for Jan, but at least he was well balanced by the other characters.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Gekiranger is one of the few series where the plot and fighting carried the show more than the characters to me. I really enjoyed Geki, but only 'cause of the hands being thrown. Very few of the characters mattered to me at all.

With Ninninger, the only character I remember liking much at all was Kasumi. She continued the long line of Pinks who aren't putting up with your shit. (TimePink, BoukenPink, even ShinkenPink)

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
With Ninninger, the only character I remember liking much at all was Kasumi. She continued the long line of Pinks who aren't putting up with your shit. (TimePink, BoukenPink, even ShinkenPink)

075.jpg

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with any of the ToQgers if they had just been kids. But seeing grown men and women act like that just made me go : |

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Reds of the decade:
Alata
Captain Marvelous
Hiromu
Daigo
Right
Takaharu
Yamato
Lucky
Kairi
Keiichiro
Koh

My ranking:
Lucky
Marvelous
Daigo
Keiichiro
Hiromu
Yamato
Kairi
Takaharu

Haven't watched enough of their series:
Alata
Right
Koh

Lucky over Marvelous is probably weird for a lot of people, but Lucky did cooler stuff, has what might be the best designed upgrade ever in sentai, and his story is better. Marvelous gets by on being a badass with a cool design.

I'll probably try to do the other colors before new years.

I would have been fine with any of the ToQgers if they had just been kids. But seeing grown men and women act like that just made me go : |
The problem with that is these child actors in sentai can't act at all.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I enjoy Zero-One I'm kind of interested in seeing what out second Reiwa Rider is like and what the overall decade of Rider might be like.

Speaking of which what was the best Rider series of the last decade IMO? For all it's faults with the end game and movie tie-ins it's probably Gaim for me even though I like some other series more personallly. First Rider series I experienced live and the reaction threads online were awesome.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What I fear the most right now is that they go back to the rotating producer style of W -> Gaim, where we get producers going and coming from Sentai and we get another show produced by Utsunomiya. Right now after Lupinranger vs Patranger he just hasn't been involved with anything aside from Lupat related stuff. He hasn't appeared as a secondary producer or producer of something outside of tokusatsu, so there's a chance he will be the producer of the next Rider series. I hope though that this is just another Ex-Aid --> Build situation though and we'll just get Ohmori again.

Utsunomiya seems to think that the shows only need a strong set up and then a conclusion, with the entire middle of the show being throw away. Kobayashi manages to do some decent character development to carry his series, but even so I'm just not fond of that way of looking at a series (and it has been a few years now since she actually wrote a script for toku). In Rider's case it's not even a traditional structure since older Heisei series weren't like that and even Showa series, although episodic, generally had a few distinct "phases" throughout, sometimes ending up with completely new villain factions later on.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy Zero-One I'm kind of interested in seeing what out second Reiwa Rider is like and what the overall decade of Rider might be like.

Speaking of which what was the best Rider series of the last decade IMO? For all it's faults with the end game and movie tie-ins it's probably Gaim for me even though I like some other series more personallly. First Rider series I experienced live and the reaction threads online were awesome.
For me, personally, the best would have to be Build. It gets the mix of action, intrigue, hope, and grimdarkness exactly right. My only criticism is that it drags a bit in the middle and there are a few things near the end that feel a little under-developed, everything else about it is pure gold.

The Build movies even slot into the continuity well, with the Ex-Aid crossover foreshadowing the ending and having some real character development for Banjo, and Be the One being a great little story of its own that alludes to other aspects that wind up being very important.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I think Build was the best made show for sure. Few weak links acting wise, compelling characters along the moral spectrum, strong relationships among the characters. My favorite show remains Fourze, though.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Build was the best made show for sure. Few weak links acting wise, compelling characters along the moral spectrum, strong relationships among the characters. My favorite show remains Fourze, though.

Build is easily Top 3 Rider. Maybe Top 2.

I didn't like how Build's story kinda flatlined for a bit as it devolved into "power level wars", but overall it rebounded and remained a phenomenal television show. One of the few toku shows that was genuinely funny too.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Build is easily Top 3 Rider. Maybe Top 2.

I didn't like how Build's story kinda flatlined for a bit as it devolved into "power level wars", but overall it rebounded and remained a phenomenal television show. One of the few toku shows that was genuinely funny too.

It can be harder for me to look over shows as a whole when it's a year worth of content but I feel you. I did appreciate that the Hazard level could be raised beyond getting suit upgrades and that the power level war at least tied into the overall plot. A lot of riders you either wanna hang out with the cast or you tune in for plot machinations and Build nailed both aspects. It's heartening that 01 seems to be the same so far.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Build, Drive, and Fourze in that order.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_odpsww9SRM1vp6s0to5_250.gifv

People mentioned it before but glad to see Alata love. He's the best thing about Goseiger anyways.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Build
W

Fourze
Drive
Gaim
Ex-Aid
OOO
Zi-O

Wizard
Ghost

Being honest, that middle range, 3-7, are all incredibly solid and enjoyable shows and that ranking is fluid. There's a reason Rider passed Sentai this decade. There's no season where I'm like, "Nah", outside of Wizard and Ghost.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Lupat vs Kyuranger. Was pretty decent up until the end where the just dropped all the missing Kyurangers in and had a big dumb fight that wasn't very good. Zyuoh The World's appearance was VERY disappointing, Showed up at the very end with no explanation, all his dialogue was "I know it doesn't make sense but I'm here" then he transforms, does the roll call then leaves as soon as the fight began. Also the action was pretty disappointing compared to the Lupat summer movie which was awesome visually. Great sweeping Gopro shots, good use of slowmo. There was like one gopro shot in this movie and it was bad.

How you all feel about Build NEW WORLD?

It sucks but I don't see how else they make Build movies without going back on the ending like they did.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It can be harder for me to look over shows as a whole when it's a year worth of content but I feel you. I did appreciate that the Hazard level could be raised beyond getting suit upgrades and that the power level war at least tied into the overall plot. A lot of riders you either wanna hang out with the cast or you tune in for plot machinations and Build nailed both aspects. It's heartening that 01 seems to be the same so far.
People are jazzed about Zero-One, but also afraid of how it's going to play out in the long run because of how fast paced it's been. There's a reason people don't immediately dismiss the (proven incorrect) rumors that it's only half as long as a normal series.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I think almost every Rider goes on a bit too long...

Except for Decade needing more time for fanservice for the older shows.

35ish episodes would be good.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah the rumors of Zero-One being shorter are wrong, but I wish they weren't. Most series could afford to lose at least a few episodes.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if we got some wheel-spinning in 01 down the line but I am hoping after Ex-Aid's rough (for it) back third the writer is better prepared for it. Thankfully the premise remains rich enough for further explanation and I really like the cast.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching Kiva for the first time and I am at awe at how they wrote two female leads whose entire purpose so far is get their asses constantly handed to them by the monsters they're explicitly trained to fight in every episode until some dude saves them. It's even sometimes the same monster too! The two-parter with the stalker spider fangire was really embarassing to watch.

Toshiki Inoue really can't write women, huh? His hangups are in play as usual. He should stick to just writing comedy because that's what this show has gotten right most of the time so far.

All in all, it seems like this is going to be one of those series that has fun with its premise but fumbles with halfway through. i already see all the tripe love triangles plotlines that are going to come down the line too. It's like Faiz on steroids.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
While I don't disagree with your point on Kiva's females, Inoue redeemed himself quite a bit on my eyes thanks to his Zi-O arc. The female character he created there is easily one of the best characters in the series.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I think of Inoue I think of his weird semen milk bottle plot in the Faiz novelization.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Watched Lupat vs Kyuranger. Was pretty decent up until the end where the just dropped all the missing Kyurangers in and had a big dumb fight that wasn't very good. Zyuoh The World's appearance was VERY disappointing, Showed up at the very end with no explanation, all his dialogue was "I know it doesn't make sense but I'm here" then he transforms, does the roll call then leaves as soon as the fight began.

The Zyuoh World stuff just comes of as the Sentai staff for some reason having some grudge against the Super Hero Taisen series. I mean, most SHT movies were bad, but it felt almost unprofessional in this case since they had a character complaining about the lack of a team up. If they just wanted a Zyuohger appearing alongside the Kyuranger we already got that in that movie (With Amu appearing in some scenes alongside Naga and the final battle with both full teams, although they didn't team up directly... which didn't really happen here either anyway).

Great sweeping Gopro shots, good use of slowmo. There was like one gopro shot in this movie and it was bad.

That's because it wasn't directed by Lupat's main director or even Kyuranger's, since both had already left for Rider by the point this movie was shot. The same thing seems to be happening to the upcoming Lupat vs Ryusoulger too, which isn't directed by Kamihoriuchi.

How you all feel about Build NEW WORLD?

They really should have gone for something like the Grease movie from the start (the effects of Build's tech on the new world rather than a new alien villain). I enjoyed the Grease movie, but the overall situation is kind of awkward since Evolt just walked away in the last movie.

In fact, although it's not labeled "NEW World", I thought Heisei Gen Forever really worked better than Cross-Z New World as a follow up to the finale, since the characters were only restored temporarily and even the final scene kept the focus on Banjo and Sento's ties.

Last edited:

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized how buckwild it is that the closest Parad/Jin/Gremlin archetype in Fourze is a hero, not a villain

tumblr_n5ucukDhKN1s4u1mvo2_250.gifv

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Kiva for the first time and I am at awe at how they wrote two female leads whose entire purpose so far is get their asses constantly handed to them by the monsters they're explicitly trained to fight in every episode until some dude saves them. It's even sometimes the same monster too! The two-parter with the stalker spider fangire was really embarassing to watch.

Toshiki Inoue really can't write women, huh? His hangups are in play as usual. He should stick to just writing comedy because that's what this show has gotten right most of the time so far.

All in all, it seems like this is going to be one of those series that has fun with its premise but fumbles with halfway through. i already see all the tripe love triangles plotlines that are going to come down the line too. It's like Faiz on steroids.

Inoue is just not that great of a writer, very few hits...well outside of Agito, how he managed to make a good solid series out of that surprises me.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kiva has an amnesia plot.

I mean Agito has that as a central element but Kiva legit has a "bump head, amnesia" moment.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Inoue is just not that great of a writer, very few hits...well outside of Agito, how he managed to make a good solid series out of that surprises me.

I think his best stuff (Jetman, Agito) only worked on the way they did when he doesn't indulge in his... predilections as much as in his other series.

I've seen some excerpts from the Kamen Rider novels he wrote and they are some fucked up shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thousaer fights like totally opposite of what i thought he would

He is a straight brawler with a bicycle kick

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
What's that anime someone in the thread at the old place was watching where dude was shoving henchmen's faces into walls? I remember it being comedically brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.