• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Intel-IOC-Tournament-750x375.png

The International Olympic Committee and worldwide sponsor Intel have teamed up to announce the Intel World Open, an esports competition that will take place in the run-up to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.

The Intel World Open will feature Rocket League and Street Fighter V competitions in partnership with Psyonix/Epic Games and Capcom, respectively, with $250K USD awarded for each tournament for a grand total of $500K. Intel and the IOC will host the World Open finals at Tokyo's Zepp DiverCity venue from July 22-24, 2020, with the Olympics themselves kicking off on July 24.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see if TVs jump on the chance to show some official olympic eSports. In for Rocket League.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Awesome. In full support of this happening.

Daigo finna get a gold metal.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the wording in the article it sounds like SFV is probably a team tournament as it mentions being a complement to the 1v1 CPT and 3v3 SFL. 5v5?

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
How is Fortnite not getting picked, kids might actually watch the Olympics.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
This is the 3rd paragraph in that article

Online qualifiers will allow anyone from the participating countries to compete for a chance to be named to his or her national team, with a live qualifying event to be held in Katowice, Poland, in June to determine which teams will ultimately compete in Tokyo. Intel's partner for the Intel Extreme Masters, ESL, will handle production for the World Open.

This will be a team tournament. No idea how many, but I imagine it'll be 3v3 or 5v5. For SFV, some countries have more strong talent than others so I wonder if a country can have multiple representatives. Japan for example could field multiple strong 5 man teams where as the UK or DR can definitely compete, but they would need all their best guys on 1 team.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Fortnite not getting picked, kids might actually watch the Olympics.
They actually go into this in the article. They prioritized watchability for casual viewers. (I also remember something about no guns being a factor when discussions about this popped up a year ago.)
Rocket League and Street Fighter V are very different games, but in the world of esports, they're two of the most easily-understandable titles to watch. Psyonix's Rocket League—now under the Epic Games umbrella following the recent studio acquisition—is just soccer with cars, albeit cars with rocket boosters that can drive along walls and soar through the air. And Street Fighter V builds on the series' decades-old lineage, with straightforward melee action and large health bars to indicate the state of the match.

"When we're working with the IOC and working on something like the Intel World Open, we're really looking for the broadest audience and the most accessibility, and these two titles really lead well for that," said Subotnick. "These two titles are something that the average consumer or audience member can look at and get what's going on, and that's unfortunately not always the case in esports. So that makes a lot of sense to work with these two partners."

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Great to hear, may check them out once they air :P easy accessible games, can see why they were picked. Start off accessible and maybe after a few more tournaments, get to the deeper, harder to understand games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty neat.

Japan team will be cleaning up in SFV.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They've been trying to get something like this going for a while now because Ono has mentioned getting into the Olympics in Japanese interviews. This is neat.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit! Surely this guarantees another season of characters and regular updates to the game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF the grandfather of competitive gaming finna be the one to take it to the next level too. I'm for it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
While both games make sense it would've been neat if they took some risks and had a Monster Hunter World, Dark Souls, basically one of any type of nontraditional esports as a competition.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I'm 100% in -- I just hope they broadcast the finals so I can watch it live EST. Who would be your dream team?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Rocket League is gonna be so incredible. Fantastic that its getting this opportunity, Theres no other Esport like it.