• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's totally Eto, lol, even the chapter is called Et. I wonder what they're doing with Hairu's head, Ui is right there so she could just as well show up.

This is becoming Tokyo Ghoul Remix boss rush, they're dealing with Owl again and getting destroyed.

I assume owl is being controlled by Donato with the cross? Perhaps it's finally time for Amon to deal with him now to stop his control, he's missing with Akira and Takizawa.

Watch Arima show up with Arata at Kaneki's end lol.

Last edited:

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Wow, the anime's opening spoils fucking everything. Furuta reveal is going to lose all impact for anime-only watchers.

It also still looks like hot garbage, although I haven't watched the episode proper.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
^ Anime is even worse than you dare imagine

I guess Eto/ Hairu becoming angel has blown everybody away so much no one even commented at the chapter. :p

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh shit i like where this is going

renji vs uta
amon vs donato (Finally!)

fuck yeah!

so good

qggPuWQ.jpg

THE TIME HAS COME

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Uta was such an ambiguous character and kept good relations with Anteiku people, only going after CCG people, that I never thought we would get this fight despite him being on the side of the clowns. Good to have Amon vs Donato too, which i suspect to be more of a proper fight. Fun if basically setup chapter. Shame that the scans are once again robbing the art of its proper look and finesse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well they wrote Uta as a character that fought with Renji throughout the series even though they stopped at some point, they didn't fight because they're supposedly equal, so them fighting again makes sense

i think Renji is on the weak side tho lol

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I haven't posted much in here because I really haven't liked what Ishida's done with the series lately. TG has always had its battle shonen aspects but it's always been used as a vehicle for the story to progress. This kind of generic climax arc is super underwhelming for the series; I think he blew too much of the mysteries too early. With nothing left to really resolve other than this conflict its kind of boring; the character match-ups and teaming up doesn't do anything for me.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is more like it. I haven't really posted much either since I was kinda bored of it but at least we finally get this. Amon vs Donato and Uta vs Renji is lit.

Also I liked Ayato calling Ken his shitty brother, lol.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt Renji has one. I mean it would be silly not to pull it out during Arima fight or even vs Mutsuki. (Though with how illogical some fights were I wouldn't be too shocked.)

Enjoyed the chapter a lot. This is pretty pivotal stuff as the reasoning behind clown's actions can make it all sink or swim. Wonder if this is where we find the whole truth about Uta though the venue and opponent doesn't seem very appropriate.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I doubt Renji has one. I mean it would be silly not to pull it out during Arima fight or even vs Mutsuki. (Though with how illogical some fights were I wouldn't be too shocked.)

Enjoyed the chapter a lot. This is pretty pivotal stuff as the reasoning behind clown's actions can make it all sink or swim. Wonder if this is where we find the whole truth about Uta though the venue and opponent doesn't seem very appropriate.
Yeah it did cross my mind: why wouldn't he use his kakuja against Arima? But it has been said that him and Uta have been more or less equals in terms of strength. Therefore I'm assuming he also has one.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it did cross my mind: why wouldn't he use his kakuja against Arima? But it has been said that him and Uta have been more or less equals in terms of strength. Therefore I'm assuming he also has one.
The problem is that that was Uta's tale, even his narration in that specific case I think, so he was in all probability lying. Throughout :re he's been holding back in every fight, never taking any opponent seriously and I think that was the case there too. (I'm like 99,99% sure he's the old OEK so it would also be weird if he was only on par with Yomo.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Little Bin finally gets to confront Amon but she'll let Taki help him instead.

Hope this isn't the end for Uta, would like to know more about his background with the clowns.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. I don't think Yomo's ending stratagem was all that well conveyed (partly might be because of scans) drawing wise but it was a neat and logical sleight of hand that allowed him for a second time to win a fight where he was outmatched. It's not at all how I imagined it would be since I thought Uta would smoke him but (though maybe I'm a delusional Uta stan ) I still think the former was holding back which would fit the dialogue in this chapter and the pv line for next chapter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's like Uta wanting to kill him that badly, but he definitely go all out just to get Yomo to get serious, he likely just don't care about losing or winning but just want this fight. Yomo wanting to keep fighting to make changes and protecting others while Uta is just being a self destructive dude also fits with the whole theme with Ken.

Yeah I doubt Uta is anyone special at this point, would've liked it if we know he has a origin story or some sort and maybe some history that ties to Donato especially since during the Yomo fight Uta talks about how their parents and siblings are now long gone, but he's still alive so that could still happen. I do like this conclusion with his character and Yomo.

Also that scene with Houji is great, especially since Ishida skipped over that fight, that really adds a lot to it now retrospectively, sucks for both of them... Taki's life has probably been the shittiest of them all, maybe he'll get together with lil' bin after all of this. Houji was a bro up to the last moment in this twisted world afterall.

Amon realizing/admitting he actually do love his foster father while still at the same time still thinks Donato is an evil motherfucker is great as well, I hope we get a flashback and some dialogues from Donato next chapter, considering Amon has long been wondering why Donato kept him alive and we all know the reason, maybe adding more back story to Donato at the same time along with how he tied in with the clowns/uta and the members. Donato looks legit happy when Amon got serious and owns his ass.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
If Uta isn't OEK he will be the biggest red herri.. no the biggest red whale the world has seen. I still ain't getting off that bus as that chapter doesn't directly go against the OEK theory I think and some of the dialogue fits.

While I enjoyed the post-mortem talk, the Donato-Amon fight a week ago was like ... bad. Amon pulls something (did he just wrap the kagune around the quinque or what ?) and one shots him in a single panel/page ? Awful. I think part of the problem with this and Yomo fight is that it all comes almost out of nowhere. Yes all that it's stuff that's been set up before, in Part 1 even but little has been done since to build upon it, especially within this arc itself, where Yomo&Amon came out of a freezer they've been in for at least 20 or more chapters. I get that with where the plot is, the number of characters and scale of things Ishida couldn't just devote the same amount of time he did to Karen&Tsukiyama or Touka many arcs ago but still this called for more effort to refresh those plot strands and maybe expand them within the arc itself.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed all the stuff from both Kaneki&Furuta, the latters jokes, the meta, his putdown of Kaneki and his more serious side and of course Kaneki's no bullshit attitude.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fight will end in a chapter or two knowing Ishida

Furuta is dope though, sunlit garden child + half ghoul + Rise kagune

but i think he'll just kick the bucket soon enough

Rise gonna be the final boss

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Two servings of Furuta for Rize in 3...2...1

If this is the end of the line for Furuta then I've to say I enjoyed his character a lot. Ishida sometimes went overboard with his funny side but his buildup, reveal, backstory (still some things to explore there) keikakkus and mannerisms and now his more serious side made him very memorable and fun. (Awful kakuja though)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how old Furuta is currently?

He's (obviously) my favorite TG character. I can't help but wonder if him dying (if he is) is signaling the winding down of the manga? I can't really imagine anyone else from V (or.. Anyone, really) posing a bigger threat than him. I'm wondering if the rest is just gonna be dealing with the headless owl and the aftermath; ghouls and humans coming together for real to fix everything/closure on the rize front/Ken's baby.
Also, If I'm interpreting the last 2 pages right, it seems like Furuta almost saw a reflection of a life he could've had in kaneki's attack and it made him falter for just long enough.. Poor Furuta :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Furuta should be a bit older than Ken, wiki says he's around 25.

I don't get why people keep saying he's doing things "for the lulz", as if he's doing everything for absolutely no reason, dude isn't that much different than Arima/Eto, and the rest of the Sunlit Garden children, he resented his Washuu root and his short life, he just took a different approach to it, he's the one that started the OEG experiment with Kanou, if not for him, Eto wouldn't be able to get her plan going, and he has contributed to breaking the cage more than anyone else in the story.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

He's (obviously) my favorite TG character. I can't help but wonder if him dying (if he is) is signaling the winding down of the manga? I can't really imagine anyone else from V (or.. Anyone, really) posing a bigger threat than him. I'm wondering if the rest is just gonna be dealing with the headless owl and the aftermath; ghouls and humans coming together for real to fix everything/closure on the rize front/Ken's baby.
Also, If I'm interpreting the last 2 pages right, it seems like Furuta almost saw a reflection of a life he could've had in kaneki's attack and it made him falter for just long enough.. Poor Furuta :(
There's still stuff to explore with V.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new wallpaper! Also interesting that they mentioned Kaiko in this chapter, I thought that dude was oooold.

aLyIbM8.jpg

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Well, it was clear for some time that we've entered more or less the endgame, the question was how long it would last. There's still Rize/Dragon who I guess might be the end end boss with maybe Uta pitching in to help with some expertise but that 206 chapters theory is appearing pretty damn feasible to me nowadays.

new wallpaper! Also interesting that they mentioned Kaiko in this chapter, I thought that dude was oooold.

I still don't quite get this, if V is just half-humans like Arima then why do they look like they do. Creepy and alien ? Arima was supposedly almost at the end of the rope and you don't see him looking alike.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

Naki and Eto are back

I wonder if Marude and Hide expected this? Hide was nodding to Marude and Marude didn't act surprised when Eto returned.

Finally they clarified what happened to doggy and uncle ape.

I guess Furuta know this would happen so instead of turning her into a quinque he made her into a remote control puppet instead just so she can return, since he was the one working with Kanou.

It's also out in english.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with her returning even though this seems bizarre and I'm just also used to Ishida and his bait and switch.

How does even Eto thing work. Where the hell was she hiding her head till now ?

Easiest explanation is that Donato's cross stopped her head from regenerating, Ishida probably could've not done the whole Eto's head being severed thing to make it more believable but I guess he likes being edgy, and I guess at this point it means powerful Ghouls aren't truly dead unless all their kakuhous are removed.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
So, Furuta had to have known about Eto coming back, right?

I get the feeling he wants to die, and fuck up the whole order of everything as he does so; Washuu, CCG, V, how ghouls are perceived.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is even death anymore. Half expecting Arima to show up now.

Whatever, I'm happy Eto is back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with 3 chapters left I'm not expecting a good closure, i don't get Ishida, his pacing is way off ever since Rue Island, he took his time in the first half which was his peak, then he seems to rush everything with his important reveals, while still taking his time with strange stuff.

with how popular this series is i wonder if he'll do a new TG but starting fresh, but i think there isn't much left to tell in TG's universe.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter is out, pretty good chapter, Ken's monologue was decent. Guess next 2 chapters will probably be the ending, assuming Ken killed off Rize right there in the last page, a few things I wish Ishida could've done a bit more with:

- Washuu/V/Underground King's history
- Hide's story
- Clowns/Donato/Uta's history

Did we ever get an explanation to how Aunt Aura lost her legs? lol. Also the present for Mutsuki, I guess that's unimportant and just a way to get Urie into her room.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Chapter is out, pretty good chapter, Ken's monologue was decent. Guess next 2 chapters will probably be the ending, assuming Ken killed off Rize right there in the last page, a few things I wish Ishida could've done a bit more with:

- Washuu/V/Underground King's history
- Hide's story
- Clowns/Donato/Uta's history

Did we ever get an explanation to how Aunt Aura lost her legs? lol. Also the present for Mutsuki, I guess that's unimportant and just a way to get Urie into her room.
Maybe the next series will be a prequel starring the One Eye King of old?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter is out, nothing really happened.

1 more chapter to go. Wonder how long the final chapter will be.

I wouldn't mind a sequel/prequel honestly, as long as Ishida starts fresh with new characters.

edit: looks like the final chapter will be 36pages long

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the Kaneki/Furuta/Rize stuff in the last few chapters. On character and thematic level I think it does really well in closing down Kaneki's arc in :re and making it a logical, step by step path, even justifying some things that felt iffy at the time to me (Talking mostly about transporting Kaneki's suicide wish all the way back to Anteiku arc and Arima fight.) and conveying what seems to be the message of the series. All the talk about needing to strive even in the with the specter of death always hanging above and the juxtaposition with Furuta as to someone who gave in to that despair feel so bluntly 'absurdist' that I'm not even afraid of proclaiming that anymore as the thematic lynchpin of the series.

On the other hand, I'm really not liking the ending being so close. There's no way it's going to be able to cover even a part of dangling plot threads in any satisfying way and the way the fight against V was closed down seems like a sign of things to come in the last chapter. I dunno, perhaps Ishida is preparing to troll us and go for the 3rd part with some another mind bender, maybe when the next anime season starts but neither of the two options before us seems like good one. The outstanding plot issues are way to much for one chapter but they're also no a material for another whole series. There's also no discernible threat facing the crew and Kaneki has seemingly reached The Sun, Judgement and finally Za Warudo, making his journey complete. Though I guess I thought that a good few times before so we'll see.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't know how to feel except disappointed. Ishida could've gone on for at least 50 chapters but everything felt rush. And there will definitely not be a part 3, at least not with Kaneki. Furthermore, I guess the OEK was nothing at all but a name? Rize literally came and went and Ishida didn't keep people dead. *Sigh* Well, I enjoyed talking about it with GAF then Era so thanks everyone. See y'all on the next manga.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the ending although I did expect the ending to be a happy one, I knew Ken would live the moment they introduced the romance between Ken and Touka, due to the entire point of :re was to break from the whole "hate cycle", Ken needs to live and his child would need to survive inorder for that to happen to not end up like Touka's parents or anyone else's parents in the story really, what I didn't expect was the amount of characters that survived at the end.

The problem with second half of :re was that it was always going to be hard to write the ending arc for Ken to reunite Ghouls and Mankind, at that point after the Rue Island arc people's questions were always "how's Ken going to do it? what are they going to eat?", I don't know if Ishida came up with the concept of dragon much later on but I think it was introduced way too late, and the Washuu/V stuff weren't too fleshed out as a result, making the whole arc being fights where Ishida throwing out "deathflags" over and over that end up to be nothing at the end. I get what he's going for with the dragon but it was not executed too well.

A few things that are unclear, what was Arima trying to accomplish other than breaking the cage? Did he know Furuta's plan? They seem to imply that he expected the Dragon to show up at some point since he told Hirako "everyone will become ghouls", and that Ken was the hope of the Sunlit garden kids, the only thing that ended up affecting the sunlit garden kids at the end was that the Washuus going extinct so there won't be more of them being born, is that all they want? Just to get rid of the V/Washuu once and for all and use the Dragon for medical researches? None of them used the toxin to extend their lives at the end (Hsiao's health is already deteriorating at 26) and the whole half human thing will still be an issue for mixed parents who want to have kids, just no organization to make them into child soldiers.

Few things interesting at the end:
- Hide's father was an investigator, wonder if he was just an ordinary one killed by random ghoul or if there's anything more, guess at least him being an investigator's child in the "washuu" theory was right, except he wasn't a Washuu, lol. I guess it leaves enough room for a cameo if Ishida decide to write a spinoff about the past.
- Previous Dragon(s) was what caused more Ghouls to appear, I guess it made sense with the underground one because the kids there thought they were humans and didn't know of the concept of "ghouls", but the Washuu existed way before that incident in the middle east so that can't be how Ghouls suddenly appeared either, especially when the Washuus were cannibals, I guess it just has to do with the "Toxins", probably better to leave it at that.
- Ken's daughter is either human or half-human? Since she can eat apples.
- Shirokae is a beast, really too bad after Noro everyone else was kind of a jobber that dies in a few hits.

At last this was on the back of Volume 15:

Translations: (From http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/172022520297/text-accompanying-kanekis-illustration-from-vol)

When I'm hiding something, I end up touching my chin.

When Hide is thinking about something, he puts his hand on his cheek.
Haise imitates that and touches his cheek.

Akira-san braids her hair so that she can remember her parents.

Whenever Urie-kun paused, he was thinking about something.
When Mutsuki-kun grabs the hem of his shirt, he shuts away his own feelings.

Saiko-chan often cried when she thought about her mother.
Shirazu-kun said that he wanted to go on a motorcycle trip with his sister.

When I saw Touka-chan's true feelings, she looked straight at me with her right eye.

I'll probably re-read the last arc once I pick up the last 2 volumes when they are out in my region, a lot of the dragon stuff in the last arc just flew right over my head.

Wonder who will be on the cover of vol 16, likely Ken + Touka I guess.

Last edited:

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll re-read :RE, or at least the last arc, but man that was a disappointing end to it all. Just expected a lot more from Ishida.

Still, it's been an incredible ride, loved every bit of it. Can't wait to see what Ishida cooks up next.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Even after Eto, Naki, Ape&Dog I still can't believe he brought Iwao back. lol

Torn really between two feelings. On one hand this is just an awfully rushed conclusion and for all the flaws that gradually sprang up in the past 2-3 years, this will be the main one when looking back at the series as a whole. On the other, this is a series that honestly I think I've enjoyed and loved more than any other, the only manga that managed to keep me this entertained on a weekly basis and not just when binging it and finally a series that managed to make me really care about its cast so I'm also happy things worked out for them. Ishida I think has gradually become one of the best storytellers in the medium, it's not just his art and art style but also his paneling, shot composition even integration of dialogue, its 'spacing' that markedly improved during the course for of the series and became a favorite of mine. That coupled with mostly great and surprising storyline made it a real treat to read. Thank you for the ride.

lul Also at Amon&Akira not appearing in last chapter.