• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a silhouette of Amon and Akira in the last chapter, it's super weird how Ishida is dealing with Amon's character honestly.

Trailer for the TG game:

Looks like it follows the main plot from TG and TG:re, I wish they did something special like the Rio game with input from Ishida, here's hoping it's not 1:1 of the main plot. I wonder if it covers the entire story.

hmm vol 16 comes out on the 19th but still no cover art yet

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
furuta did nothing wrong

You're goddamn right.

You guys need Jesus Kaneki.
IjZMGce.png

Final Cover.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ishida wrote a lengthy afterword, talking about his life and how he felt about work and TG. Reading it is a bit depressing honestly because we knew he didn't take a single break throughout the series, and we know how self destructive Ken was after his torture although his character finds happiness towards the end.

http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/176025577667/ishidas-afterword-part-1

7 years have passed since then. My life has revolved around chasing the deadline, week after week.

I felt that if I took a break I wouldn't be able to bring myself to draw again, so I refused to give myself a break.

Now that the series has ended, I'm finally living a life where I haven't had a deadline looming over me for the first time in 7 years.

I wonder how I used to spend my time in the past.

If I want to be frank about how I currently feel, should I say it feels…liberating?

Tokyo Ghoul has been something that was intimately intertwined with my life, something that dominated my time and emotions, and something that changed my relationships with other people.

There was good that came with it, but oftentimes there was more bad than good.

From the original volume 7 onwards, my stance regarding the manga changed.

I took on impossible amounts of work to try to push myself.

I cast away all sorts of things from my life, and poured all of my time into work.

I think it was because I was trying to get closer to Kaneki who's been subjected to torture.

I've developed complications in my body.

I was scared at first. But after seeing all sorts of symptoms show up every few months, I resigned myself to the fact that this was the kind of body I had.

The most striking part to me was that I lost my sense of taste.

There may be some readers who are disappointed by this, but I haven't thought of drawing Tokyo Ghoul itself as fun. I hate working.

"Why am I drawing manga?"

During the last half year, I really enjoyed drawing Tokyo Ghoul. I discovered and learned to appreciate many things.

"Why am I drawing manga?"

If I ask myself that now, my answer would be: "Because it was necessary."

Tokyo Ghoul is a crude, unpolished work, but I love it nonetheless.

Those who have been involved with the series, those who have been reading the series. I have nothing but gratitude to whoever is reading this sentence right now.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Rest well Ishida.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Ishida wrote a lengthy afterword, talking about his life and how he felt about work and TG. Reading it is a bit depressing honestly because we knew he didn't take a single break throughout the series, and we know how self destructive Ken was after his torture although his character finds happiness towards the end.

http://kenkamishiro.tumblr.com/post/176025577667/ishidas-afterword-part-1

Rest well Ishida.

Seems surprisingly from the heart. I've often wondered about Ishida's ability to go on without any brakes but it seems it took it's toll. Have to wonder whether or perhaps just how and where it changed how things were supposed to go.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Was searching for the Tokyo Ghoul Netflix Anime OT but only found this thread and other Tokyo Ghoul threads that have NOTHING to do with it!

How many Tokyo Ghoul versions are there lol??

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Was searching for the Tokyo Ghoul Netflix Anime OT but only found this thread and other Tokyo Ghoul threads that have NOTHING to do with it!

How many Tokyo Ghoul versions are there lol??

There are two principal manga series: Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul :re on the basis of which 4 cours/seasons of anime were made. Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul Root A, Tokyo Ghoul :re and Tokyo Ghoul :re S2. This is/was the manga thread.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
There are two principal manga series: Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul :re on the basis of which 4 cours/seasons of anime were made. Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul Root A, Tokyo Ghoul :re and Tokyo Ghoul :re S2. This is/was the manga thread.

Is there any anime OT?

I feel silly asking questions in the manga thread, but the Netflix Anime ended so abruptly and just in the middle of...everything happening lol and yet it doesnt seem to be having a 3rd season at all

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any anime OT?

I feel silly asking questions in the manga thread, but the Netflix Anime ended so abruptly and just in the middle of...everything happening lol and yet it doesnt seem to be having a 3rd season at all
Not that I'm aware.

I don't have it on Netflix so I don't really know where they left off. If you describe the ending a bit I should be able to help out.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Not that I'm aware.

I don't have it on Netflix so I don't really know where they left off. If you describe the ending a bit I should be able to help out.

Let put this on spoilers:

the Anteiku owner, a Owl, dies.
A secong most brutal Owl appears but runs away in the middle of a fight with CCG top guy I guess (guy with white hair).
Hide dies in Kaneki arms. Kaneki goes fight the white hair guy. We never see the fight.
Anime ends with Touka opening for the day on her (i guess) coffee shop.

A LOT of loose points left unexplained. What are the Owls, what happens to Kaneki, did he win the fight? The other guys from the Aogiri Tree are kept in mistery. Who is the green hair writer chick? Etc, etc.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Let put this on spoilers:

the Anteiku owner, a Owl, dies.
A secong most brutal Owl appears but runs away in the middle of a fight with CCG top guy I guess (guy with white hair).
Hide dies in Kaneki arms. Kaneki goes fight the white hair guy. We never see the fight.
Anime ends with Touka opening for the day on her (i guess) coffee shop.

A LOT of loose points left unexplained. What are the Owls, what happens to Kaneki, did he win the fight? The other guys from the Aogiri Tree are kept in mistery. Who is the green hair writer chick? Etc, etc.

This is going to be a bit complicated, no, very complicated if you're just a casual anime watcher but basically, what you've described is the ending of the second season, the so called Root A. While this is still the middle of the story, most of the questions you're raising is a consequence of the makers of this season, deciding to go an anime original route - creating their own version of the plot instead of following the script from the manga like the first 12 episodes did. Sadly they weren't very good at this writing thing and the result is a confusing mess of which you're now a victim. In the manga the fight between Kaneki and White Haired Guy is fully shown, the Hide thing is completely different and lots of things is completely different.

But Root A does I think tell you what are the owls. They're basically ghouls who cannibalised a lot and grown a kagune so big they can wrap themselves in it. After fighting Arima the second owl ( the more monster like one) takes the Anteiku owner and runs away with him and is later revealed to be
his daughter, hence the similar kagune.
I should note that even the following 2 anime seasons basically pretend Root A didn't happen and instead follow up the original manga story. So if you're going to watch* the Tokyo Ghoul :re anime at some point it's going to be very confusing.

* Which I would strongly beseech you not to do. The Tokyo Ghoul anime doesn't have a good rap and very deservedly so. While the remaining 24 eps of :re anime do cover the manga storyline, they do so in an incredibly rushed manner and with production values plummeting. The last 12 eps are to my mind some of the worst anime around and watching it is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This is going to be a bit complicated, no, very complicated if you're just a casual anime watcher but basically, what you've described is the ending of the second season, the so called Root A. While this is still the middle of the story, most of the questions you're raising is a consequence of the makers of this season, deciding to go an anime original route - creating their own version of the plot instead of following the script from the manga like the first 12 episodes did. Sadly they weren't very good at this writing thing and the result is a confusing mess of which you're now a victim. In the manga the fight between Kaneki and White Haired Guy is fully shown, the Hide thing is completely different and lots of things is completely different.

But Root A does I think tell you what are the owls. They're basically ghouls who cannibalised a lot and grown a kagune so big they can wrap themselves in it. After fighting Arima the second owl ( the more monster like one) takes the Anteiku owner and runs away with him and is later revealed to be
his daughter, hence the similar kagune.
I should note that even the following 2 anime seasons basically pretend Root A didn't happen and instead follow up the original manga story. So if you're going to watch* the Tokyo Ghoul :re anime at some point it's going to be very confusing.

* Which I would strongly beseech you not to do. The Tokyo Ghoul anime doesn't have a good rap and very deservedly so. While the remaining 24 eps of :re anime do cover the manga storyline, they do so in an incredibly rushed manner and with production values plummeting. The last 12 eps are to my mind some of the worst anime around and watching it is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Thanks for the explanation!

So:

Season 1 follows the Manga
Season Root A follows its own thing
Then 2 more seasons follow the rest of the Manga but the quality is bad

Did I get it lol?

This is almost as much confusing as figuring out the "Fate" series lol

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the explanation!

So:

Season 1 follows the Manga
Season Root A follows its own thing
Then 2 more seasons follow the rest of the Manga but the quality is bad

Did I get it lol?

This is almost as much confusing as figuring out the "Fate" series lol

That's about it yeah.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly as a TG fan, who read both series, I can honestly look back and say that re was largely shit relative to the original manga. I think I attribute that to the inconsistent power levels and at times, the nonsensical fights. The supporting cast of re weren't nearly as likable or as well realized as Antieku and the motivations of certain antagonists didn't make sense. There were some plot points and character fates left unresolved (unless I'm misremembering completely).

I think I'll do a re-read of the series to catch details that I might've missed when I was reading scans.