• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Imperial Japan annexed the Empire of Korea in 1910 as a critical step in the colonial project that would eventually lead to its alliance with Nazi Germany and fascist Italy. Over a million Koreans would be conscripted as slave labor for Japan's war effort—not counting the hundreds of thousands of women forced into sexual slavery for the Japanese army. Lee Chun-sik, now in his nineties, was one of the many who were forced into slave labor. Lee did grueling and dangerous work at a steel mill in Japan, receiving no pay, little food, and regular beatings. In 2005, Lee and three other former forced laborers sued Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation, the successor of the wartime steel mill, in the South Korean courts after losing an earlier lawsuit they filed in Japan. In October 2018, after a long legal battle, Lee prevailed in the Supreme Court of Korea. After 13 years of litigation, Lee is the only one of the plaintiffs still alive.

The suffering of Lee and many others is historical fact. But if you went by the Japanese government's hysterical reaction—accusing its neighbor of "trying to shift South Korea's responsibility" over the wartime forced labor—you might think it was Korea that was the villain of this story. Following the Supreme Court's decision, Tokyo has threatened to recall its ambassador to South Korea, levy sanctions against South Korean exports to Japan, seize South Korean government property in Japan, and reintroduce visa requirements for visiting Korean tourists. Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono even demanded South Korean President Moon Jae-in intervene with the Supreme Court's decision—a ridiculous request to make against a constitutional democracy that mandates separation of powers.

The rest go into basically a legal argument about why Japan's argument is just a bunch of BS, but I thought this was interesting since the second paragraph just reads like Japan's Government completely lost their shit.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which countries have taken responsibility for their foreign war crimes/crimes against humanity? Just Germany for its Nazi-era atrocities?

There are way too many [prominent] people in Japan still defending that shit.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Lol era is basically purple gaf. People just hide it better

Anyways, yeah Japan is never going to admit to anything or apologize as long as dudes like Abe are in charge

yeah i don't think flat out trumpist/alt right talking points will hold much water here unlike the old place, but let's not derail with that.

plenty of countries have admitted to war crimes and have held the ones responsible to account. let's not fall into this whataboutist nonsense.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
From what I understand there is a lot of shit going down between

South Korea - Philippines - Japan

Mostly economic, but it seems like a complicated issue.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Some of the old generation is in denial about the war crimes and think other countries are making it up to persecute them, and the younger generations don't learn much about them and some think it doesn't affect them because it was in the past and there's nothing they can do about it.

That being said there are more people here against the denial/imperial Japan than these articles would suggest, but most of them are younger and not involved in politics at all. Much like America there are some who protest by refusing to sing the national anthem. Of course, none of these people will be in charge of the country any time soon.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
That wasn´t even a slap on the wrist for those responsible because it didn´t really affect them anyway. It was a straight up attack on civilians and a war crime.
And much like Japan's war crimes most Americans will argue it wasn't. I'm certainly not excusing Japan when I say that of course, just saying that unfortunately they're not alone.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You're so right! Now, is it the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima or the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki that you classify as a slap on the wrist?
I'm talking about the aftermath not the war I'm not saying we should have bombed them more jesus fucking christ.

This is such an uneducated post. You don't think this goes back a fair bit further than your alt-right allusions?
Genuinely no idea what you're talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
japan's "perspective" and lack of honesty regarding what they participated in during WW2 is fucking gross.

Feb 3, 2018
You're so right! Now, is it the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima or the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki that you classify as a slap on the wrist?
That wasn´t even a slap on the wrist for those responsible because it didn´t really affect them anyway. It was a straight up attack on civilians and a war crime.

Yes that was a horrid decision but using whataboutism and deflecting back to Hiroshima and Nagasaki is not helping the discussion.

The reality is that Japan and I mean the older population and the surging nationalism among them have allowed these lies about history to resurface.

The racism that Koreans are subjected to in Japan is quite disturbing and to this day any mention of those war crimes angers the nationalists and Abe's thugs and they go apeshit putting sanctions on Korea and they even tried to pay them which the South Koreans saw as a insulting bribe given that it came with certain conditions.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Yes that was a horrid decision but using whataboutism and deflecting back to Hiroshima and Nagasaki is not helping the discussion.

The reality is that Japan and I mean the older population and the surging nationalism among them have allowed these lies about history to resurface.

The racism that Koreans are subjected to in Japan is quite disturbing and to this day any mention of those war crimes angers the nationalists and Abe's thugs and they go apeshit putting sanctions on Korea and they even tried to pay them which the South Koreans saw as a insulting bribe given that it came with certain conditions.
It's really sad how Japan and South Korea treat each other. The animosity between the countries is truly sick and in this case I mean both sides. Korea does have higher ground, but at the same time how it's handled at large is down right sick. Are there any other nations that still hash it out like China/Japan/Korea when it comes to WWII?

I mean Poland, Estonia and other nations are somewhat cool with Russia, even if Russia keeps fabricating all kinds of lies about Soviet and their crimes, even this day.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
May I recommend updating your glasses prescription

Did it? Or does it have like 100 people online at any given time and threads about how girls poop with g-strings on and apologizing for white power.

but I'll let you finish.
I think he meant pre-ERA GAF, not what it became, in which case he's right. I mean... this community is literally 99% of same people as back then, so...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, why wouldn't they? It is popular internally and nobody punishes them for it, so it is a 'win-win' for Japanese politicians.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
They could have attacked a military target instead of murdering women, children and old people.
They wanted the war to end. Whilst I agree with you upto a point - what they did certainly ended the war quicker than otherwise.

I'd feel differently if the US had started the conflict - but Japan did.

Feb 3, 2018
It's really sad how Japan and South Korea treat each other. The animosity between the countries is truly sick and in this case I mean both sides. Korea does have higher ground, but at the same time how it's handled at large is down right sick. Are there any other nations that still hash it out like China/Japan/Korea when it comes to WWII?

I mean Poland, Estonia and other nations are somewhat cool with Russia, even if Russia keeps fabricating all kinds of lies about Soviet and their crimes, even this day.

Uhh no Estonia, Poland and former soviet Republics are terrified of Putin that's why they want to be a part of Nato.

Latvians also cannot stand the Russians trust me the animosity is still there.

Hell the far right in poland refuses to work the the italian far right leader because he kisses Putins ass.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Eh. both Poland and Estonia (and rest of baltics) are extremely anti russian. I'ts actually pretty similar situation with a lot of eastern European countries and Russia as it's with Japan and rest of Asia. Japan/Russia downplaying past events and Eastern Europe/Asia calling them out (sometimes legitimately and some times for domestic purposes)

Oct 27, 2017
The ship has sailed to bring japan to heel for its crimes and atrocities. The PRC is the only entity with the will and the power to enforce a much deserved and delayed reckoning of the society and culture that created the holocaust in the east, but then... it's the pot calling the kettle black, at the end of the day.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Eh. both Poland and Estonia (and rest of baltics) are extremely anti russian. I'ts actually pretty similar situation with a lot of eastern European countries and Russia as it's with Japan and rest of Asia. Japan/Russia downplaying past events and Eastern Europe/Asia calling them out (sometimes legitimately and some times for domestic purposes)
I don't mean calling out the goverment, that's fine and should be done. And saber rattling between goverments I understand. But there is kind of day to day racisim between Koreans/Japanes people that you hear about. Or maybe it's just the comment sections of certain news sites that make it seem bigger issue then it is.

I mean, russians living in Estonia probably don't have it easy either. Especially after Ukraine.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I was about to write " Far too few people are aware of the inhumane atrocities that era of Japan committed , because any thread regarding the subject is insntantly/ often derailed the second someone mentions the A-Bomb" and here we are

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I was about to write " Far too few people are aware of the inhumane atrocities that era of Japan committed , because any thread regarding the subject is insntantly/ often derailed the second someone mentions the A-Bomb" and here we are
Yep... Google unit 731 if you ever think about defending Japan in ww2, and that's just for starters.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
i usually put forth this question in most threads when the question of the nuclear bombings of Japan come up. If Japan didn't surrender after one nuclear bomb being dropped on a civilian centre, how long would it have taken them with zero nuclear bombs being dropped on their civilian centres?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i usually put forth this question in most threads when the question of the nuclear bombings of Japan come up. If Japan didn't surrender after one nuclear bomb being dropped on a civilian centre, how long would it have taken them with zero nuclear bombs being dropped on their civilian centres?
Who knows, but its safe to bet there would be less civ casualties in the end without the bomb.